Home Forums Trinity Track Biblical Prophecy I

This topic contains 206 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  coopertlc123 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

stephenlawes
    Keymaster

After you have listened to the lectures for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lectures. (If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

Georgina
    Participant

Will do!

tjdoerfel
    Participant

It’s so cool to see how God had such a bigger picture. Like in psalm 41:9 when David is talking about how his best friend who ate his bread, has now betrayed him. Then to see how Jesus was betrayed by Judas. An interesting pattern. And where the nation of Israel failed to please God, Jesus always succeeded and was perfect in every way.

Georgina
      Participant

The fulfillment of “type” were very interesting to learn about. Many good examples were given. It gave me a new appreciation for how psalms are fulfilled. I liked how it was said that these patterns were repeated in a new way and with more intensity. As the betrayals TJ mentioned. If you thought David being betrayed by his friend was bad; imagine how much worse it was for Jesus to be betrayed by Judas. This betrayal led death and not just any death, but death on the cross.

robertaleps
        Participant

This helps me in today’s world too when I feel betrayed I know it is very small in comparison to what Jesus suffered. Jesus healed, brought back to life, gave his life to for his betrayers.

robertrios
        Participant

I agree Georgina, its very interesting to find all these similarities between the old testament and the New testament. I like how he said that to read the old testament you have to keep the new testament in mind, and to read the new testament you have to keep the old testament in mind.

susanrohe
          Participant

Dr. Turner’s lectures are helpful in understanding the Old Testament. I have always found the Old Testament much harder to understand than the New Testament. Yet I find it is getting easier the more I study it.

Georgina
      Participant

The fulfillment of “type” were very interesting to learn about. Many good examples were given. It gave me a new appreciation for how psalms are fulfilled. I liked how it was said that these patterns were repeated in a new way and with more intensity. As the betrayals TJ mentioned. If you thought David being betrayed by his friend was bad; imagine how much worse it was for Jesus to be betrayed by Judas. This betrayal led death and not just any death, but death on the cross.

douglasleps
      Participant

Really make you love Jesus even more when you think about his betrayal by Judas. He knew all along and loved him anyways. Makes any of our day to day problems or dissapointments seem so insignificant.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

TJ, thanks for that comment. I had never seen that reference in the Psalms 41:9 and how it could refer to Jesus being betrayed by Judas. It’s so neat that there are so many connections between the Old Teaament and the New.

edoerfel
    Participant

This prophecy blew my mind, i never realized john the baptist was the “Elijah” that was to come from heaven before the messiah would.
    Heres a little thing i came across.
    ELIJAH ALREADY HAS COME
    The Jewish religious leaders of Jesus’ day were well aware of the ‘return of Elijah’ prophecy. At one time the rabbis had asked Jesus’ disciples to explain how Jesus could possibly have been the Messiah when it was obvious that Elijah had not returned from heaven yet.

The Apostles couldn’t answer this question, so they asked Jesus:

“Why do the Jewish leaders insist Elijah must return before the Messiah comes?”
    Jesus answered by first affirming that this question was valid and that this prophecy indeed was true. He said:
    “They are right. Elijah must come and set everything in order…”
    But then, to everyone’s surprise, Jesus explained:
    “In fact, he [Elijah] already has come, but he wasn’t recognized, and was badly mistreated by many… Then the disciples realized he was speaking of John the Baptist.”-Matthew 17:10-13 (LIVING BIBLE-CATHOLIC EDITION) (this account can also be found in: Mark 9:11-13)
    Clearly, Jesus taught that this was a true prophecy. Jesus agreed that Elijah indeed “must return before the Messiah comes.” But then, to the surprise to everyone there, Jesus claimed that John the Baptist was the fulfillment of this prophecy.

stephenlawes
      Keymaster

These verses from Luke Chapter 1 are known as the Song of Zechariah:

68 “Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has come and has redeemed his people.
      69 He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David
      70 (as he said through his holy prophets of long ago),
      71 salvation from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us–
      72 to show mercy to our fathers and to remember his holy covenant,
      73 the oath he swore to our father Abraham:
      74 to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear
      75 in holiness and righteousness before him all our days.
      76 And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him,
      77 to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins,
      78 because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven
      79 to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.”

Verses 76 is about John the Baptist!

Georgina
      Participant

Eddy, I thought it interesting that earlier they talked about the “2 witnesses” of Rev 11 and how it is thought to be Elijah and if indeed it is he also comes before Jesus

douglasleps
        Participant

Roberta and I were just discussing this. Does the lesson suggest that the two special prophets may not actually be persons but as he puts it “general trends symbolizing Moses and Elijah.
        The Old and New Testaments?

Tjack456
      Participant

Ed, before I listened to the lesson I had never realized that Elijah had returned in the form of John the Baptist either. Knowing the Jewish people were expecting the actual “Elijah” to return before the messiah gives me a bit of a better understanding why they didn’t accept Jesus as their Messiah. Weren’t they also expecting a different type of “King”? I used to wonder how in the world anyone wouldn’t believe but then I have to put myself in their shoes and back in their day, and believing then seemed to take even more faith than it does for us now because we have seen so many things come to pass that they may have not even realized. Though I often also thought ” How could they not believe when they were there to actually SEE it happen?”

robertrios
      Participant

I love how God in his love and mercy keeps his promises, and reveals Himself to us through these prophecies, even after all our sin.

coopertlc123
      Participant

I wonder why John said he was not Elijah. I have always thought he was and that he would also be one of the witnesses. It makes sense n that he never saw death as we understand it. He went to heaven in a whirlwind.

jdoerfel
    Participant

I liked how he said that the Pentecost was an intensification of prophecy. That was stuck in my head all day today. I also found it interesting that he referred to the ‘footprints of God’ a few times. He said that the footprints of God show up in the footprints of Jesus on the shores of Galilee, and he also said that the footprints of God are in the sands of history. The Elijah and John the Baptist stuff was really cool. It got a bit heavy when he added the types thing to Elijah and John the Baptist. He went on for a good while about the different types and what it would mean if he wasn’t the second Elijah.

bendoerfel
    Participant

I liked how he talks about prophets of Israel encouraging the people when they did do what God wanted. the day of Pentecost starting the prophecy of Joel is very interesting. This was awesome. “Then he said, “When I was with you before, I told you that everything written about me in the law of Moses and the prophets and in the Psalms must be fulfilled.””
    ‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:44‬ ‭NLT‬‬
    love when Jesus says things like that. He’s like “people wake up!” Ha when Daniel figured out Israel was gonna be delivered out of Babylon soon that was so swag. I’m looking at scripture a lot differently now ha. When Jesus talks about Isaiah 60 as a prediction of himself that’s sick! Never saw that before for some reason.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Ben, Jesus always has the best answers!

kurtdoerfel
    Participant

I really liked learning about all the different kinds of prophecy. The prophetic gift is something I love, because it’s so real, and it traces all the way back from Old Testament, to now. There is also evidence which supports that, which can be found in ourselves and some people around us.

I like how he brings up that Prophecy is a gift that God gave to the church.

He taught really well about the types and I really appreciated the verses he gave us to support his teaching.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Kurt- I like the types too. I’m glad to have them pointed out to me. I would miss the connections on my own, but when someone else shows me, it seems so obvious

susanrohe
      Participant

It is interesting how Dr. Turner explained the evolution of prophecy to the present day where all Christians can be prophets in the sense of receiving revelation from the Holy Spirit. God started small with a select group of people but has expanded the privilege of prophecy to all who believe and are saved.

rudyrudolph
        Participant

Susan, that’s a very keen observation and a reminder that we, the Church, were given the gift of prophesy. Rudy

nnewton
    Participant

I thought it was very interesting that prophesy will not be necessary any more when we see jesus face to face, we will come to the ultimate reality.
    So we wont need anyone pointing us to that time because we will be there.
    Therefore when we meet God, prophesy will cease.

kurtdoerfel
      Participant

I wanted to write that but wasn’t able to word it as good as you did. Nice

nnewton
        Participant

Kurt, I agree with you that there is a lot of evidence that supports prophecy from the old testament up until now.
        This course can supply us with more evidence and can help point us to bible verses that we wouldn’t even have known were prophesy being fulfilled. Im ready to learn more.

robertaleps
      Participant

I just posted my first comment to First Lesson and am looking for someone to do my follow up comments on and I see that I wrote on the same topic as you! 🙂 I agree, you worded yours quite eloquently. This is a relief to know prophecy will cease. We will have ARRIVED!!

rudyrudolph
        Participant

It is most comforting to know that we will be face to face with our Savior some day soon, and then all prophesies will cease. As I Cor 13 tells us all prophesies will cease, all knowledge will cease, and what remains is love. That’s a kind reminder that our God is a God of Love.

tjdoerfel
    Participant

In lesson 2 it’s interesting how he keeps saying people tend to think less of Moses. He gives all his reasons why and I guess I can see how it could make you think that way. I’ve never really felt that way towards Moses though.

Also cool to see the comparison of Samuels mom and Mary.

robertrios
      Participant

I agree I don’t think I have ever thought any less of Moses, although I have towards David because of the great sin committed with Bathsheba but that was in my early Christian walk when I didn’t know any better. Now that I have studied and read more of the bible I now know better and I now love David more for being a man after God’s own heart and how God delighted in him because of that.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

TJ, I also never really thought of Moses as a prophet. He was the man who listened to God and did as directed and got God’s people out of slavery. But he really is the prophet of prophets. Rudy

coopertlc123
      Participant

I never thought that way about Moses either. However, I do have an elevated opinion of him after this lecture

nnewton
    Participant

On biblical prophesy 1 lesson 2a.
    I found it really cool when he was talking about John Chapter 1:17.

Law cam through Moses + grace and truth through Jesus.

He said some people think the writer was putting Moses down.
    He wasn’t saying that Moses was a law giver and Jesus was the truth and light to put Moses down, but to lift Moses up even higher.
    As great as Moses can be made, Jesus was far more superior.
    As highly as we think of moses imagine how much higher Jesus is!
    There is no reason to put anyone down to lift Jesus up, he’s superior!

douglasleps
      Participant

Nina, I totally agree with you about John 1: 17. What a great text.
      The law came by Moses…grace and truthwas realized by Jesus.
      And as far as Moses… what a great man
      To have people calling him the messiah and to say “no, someone else even greater is still to come!”
      Humbling

Georgina
    Participant

Well put Nina. I liked hearing how John 1 was not meant to deprecate Moses but make him higher; but that Jesus is even higher. As TJ mentioned I never felt that Moses was being deprecated in any way or felt that way about him. It is good however, to know that some people do and now I’m able to speak into that, if I ever get a chance!
    On the first part of our studies, I enjoyed learning about how Moses predicted the Messiah; how Moses and Jesus were both leaders of respective “exoduses” and how an analogy is being drawn between Moses and Jesus and Pharaoh and the Antichrist in Rev 15’s “song of the lamb”.
    On the second part, I never thought of Samuel as having two roles: as a prophet and a civil leader. I’ve always thought of him as an incredible prophet and it was good to be reminded that he also had an administrative and civil role as a Judge of Israel. I liked learning that Samuel led the transition from the days of the judges to the days of the monarchy. I also liked getting a better understanding of Joshua as a successor to Moses and how he fulfilled Moses’ prophetic ministry even though Joshua was not called a prophet.
    Lastly, his last comment on Heb 11:39 made me sad because “of all the great things the prophets did with the power of God, “They did not get to see the ultimate reality that they LONGED FOR which would come to them and to us eventually through the work of our Lord Jesus Christ” I felt bad that the prophets did not get to see the amazing works of the messiah they prophesied and pointed to. How amazing must Jesus’s disciples have felt once they realized that they did get to see with their own eyes what the prophets of old LONGED FOR.

robertrios
      Participant

Great post Georgina!!!
      I feel we are very lucky that we get to experience Jesus, and if anything I think the prophets couldn’t be happier for us.

bendoerfel
    Participant

Interesting how one of the first thing he says in lesson 2 is to make sure we don’t listen to prophets from pagans.
    I like when he says how Moses knew God face to face and his relationship with God was the reason he was such a great prophet. Moses was so swaggered out everyone says “…Moses and the prophets” what a title!

To tjs comment.. He was saying how people were also jealous of Moses and Aaron probably because of their loyalty to God and the law which is interesting cuz Moses and Aaron were only trying to help them ha.

Tjack456
      Participant

Well put yourself Georgina! I also enjoyed learning more about Joshua and his role in fulfilling a prophecy. With respect to the Hebrews quote, my thought is that while they didn’t get to see their messiah on this side of heaven, certainly they WILL get to see him on the other side when He returns. As it says in
      1Thessalonians 4: 13-18:But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

susanrohe
      Participant

I can only imagine how terrified Moses must have been with his early encounters with God. Yet he became confident enough to assert himself with God and plead on Israel’s behalf. I often wonder how I would react if I had a face to face encounter. My hunch is that I would initially be scared yet very joyous.

TABlunt
    Participant

The level of interest, knowledge and dedication of the Vineyard church students continues to impress me and give hope of many “one mores”! Keep it up the interesting posts.

The posts above on the importance of the gift of prophecy reminded me of the scripture that Prophecy was a more desired gift than speaking in tongues. Since I had not considered the idea of relative importance of gifts, this stuck in my mind as an open question. The reading material in lesson one put some pieces together for me. The following hit home:

“The main purpose of prophecy is to affect the conduct of those who hear the prophecy. It is to make you LIVE differently.
    The prophets gave their prophecies so that their listeners would live differently. Their prophecies were not so much that their listeners would be INFORMED of the future as much as that their listeners would FORM the future.”

susanrohe
      Participant

Listening to lesson 1, I truly feel in awe of the life that the OT and NT prophets must have lived. They must have been chosen by God for their innate good character and strength to stand up to the brutality of the times.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

Your quote makes so much sense to me now: that prophesy was meant to affect the behavior of the listener. That must be why the most sought after gift is that of prophesy. Tongues are meant to lift up, or edify, the person speaking whereas prophesy is for the edification of the church body.

bendoerfel
    Participant

I have always wondered ways to determine false prophets and now I know. Thank you lesson 3! Liked his points about absolute truth and how freedom of speech in America can be crazy with “true for you but not for me”.

robertaleps
      Participant

I’d like to have a copy of the chart Dr Turner speaks of that lists all the things to look at in order to discern a true or false prophet

robertrios
      Participant

I couldn’t agree more, that’s why its so important to read and study the bible, so when you here something from someone that’s suspect you can in that moment address it with the of the truth of the bible, with love and patience off course.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

It’s amazing to see the Old and New Testaments so connected, almost intertwined, to each other. I used to think of them as very separate. I like learning about the types. It would take me so much time to find them on my own. I look forward to learning more.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

I agree with you Cheryl. I he always thought of the Old and New Testaments as being so separate, they they are joined in so many ways. As a study more I am starting to see those connections come alive. Rudy

JDoyle
      Participant

Same here. I always thought of the OT as more of before anything Jesus except for the He-will-be-born-in-Bethlehem passages. Now I see how Jesus is shown in, like, EVERYTHING! It’s so neat seeing how it all fits together.

Georgina
    Participant

I have really enjoyed listening to lesson 3. I found the similarities of Moses and Elijah’s ministry interesting. Especially how they both had prophets who continued their ministry. Joshua continued Moses like Elisha continued Elijahs. It reminded me to follow and model the Godly men and women in our times. I also liked learning the distinctions between Elijahs ministry and Elisha’s how the former had to deal with Baalism ad the later social justice.
    In the second part of the lesson I was struck at hearing that “all prophets are successors of Moses”. For whatever reason it just gave me a standard in which to understand true prophets of God. This lesson also gave me a deeper understanding of how to distinguish the spirite of true prophets and false prophets. It highlighted that the origin of all prophecy should come from a prophet who is a believer; it’s content is covenant oriented, calling people to obedience to God and most importantly agreed with earlier prophecy; and the result of prophecy should lead to godliness. This all reminded me of the importance of studying the word of God. This allows us to know Him who has called us and keep us from being led astray by false prophets and prophecy. “I am the good Shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me” (Jn 10:14)

douglasleps
      Participant

Georgina, I like thoughts on the Prophets and how they continued each other ministries. Joshua followed Moses, Elisha followed Elijah.
      Although each was different they stiil followed in their footsteps. Much like we try to follow in the footsteps of our Christian leaders of today.

robertrios
      Participant

Great post Georgina! I’m glad you quoted John 10:14, and how it speaks to how faithful God is in granting us a true relationship with him and him with us.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

Georgina, I especially like your point about how important it is to study His Word, so that we are not led astray by false teachings and false prophets. Thanks for that encouragement. Rudy

nnewton
    Participant

On lesson 3 all the false prophet stuff was kind of scary to think about although remember in the last lessons he said if what the “prophet” says doesn’t come true then he is a false one. For me that was a go

robertaleps
      Participant

That applies to historical prophecy but it is scary because we may not be there to see if it comes true or not in the end times when the antichrist comes so we will need to discern whether or not to follow by other instructions the Bible provides

nnewton
    Participant

Good reminder*

TABlunt
    Participant

As a new comer to the Bible Study courses, I can relate to the teacher’s point of thinking of Moses and how he might be put down. For me before beginning the study, “OLD” Testament was like an old version of software. Nice to have the background but not important today and not very useful. The “NEW” Testament is really more important. For me the perspective was not up or down for Moses; rather old vs new, history vs up-to-date. So the comments expanding on the linkage between the old and new testaments and why you need to understand both has been most helpful to my study.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

BIBLICAL PROPHECY I. I thought the historical pattern of fulfillment was very interesting. The example in Matthew where Jeremiah is being quoted where it shows the historical pattern of Rachel weeping because her descendants were being taken into captivity and when the mothers were weeping because Herod was killing the boys in Bethlehem.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

BIBLICAL PROPHECY I. Eddie, I was surprised at the prophecy that John the Baptist was Elijah too. I may have learned that in the past, but had forgotten.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

BIBLICAL PROPHECY I. Cheryl, I used to think of the Old Testament and New Testament as somewhat separate too, except for the foretelling of the coming of the Messiah. I thought the New Testament was what I was to be mostly concerned with and the Old Testament was about lessons learned or historical background leading up to Jesus.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Biblical prophesy lesson 1 reinforced a couple of crucial steps in my faith journey. As a young believer in my early 20’s, I wanted to be impressed by “signs and wonders”. My mom had the role of my spiritual mentor and guided me through some wierd stuff like churches that wanted all members to speak in tongues and she steered me clear from those.

Second, as I grew older with a growing number of kids, realizing the importance of Gods covenant relationship starting with His chosen people and then getting handed down to us through the death of His son took on great significance and meaning to me personally when my grandfather of almost 99 years old confronted me on my faith in Christ. Knowing he had a mind for engineering and facts, God gave me a word to share with gramps on his literal death bed that led him to a profession of faith in Jesus.

Hence, prophesy before tongues and what I like to call 20/20 spiritual hindsight were the 2 things that impacted me most on this lesson.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

I’m really encouraged to read the level of understanding from Nina, as I remember her questioning the boys faith and how they can be so sure of themselves. Back then, much of it was “head knowledge”. Now I get to see all of them live out their faith as young adults in their daily routines.

My second comment is aimed at Georgina and her tenacious appetite for bible knowledge. I’m not much of a scholar, but hanging around people who are may rub off on me a bit!

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Biblical Prophecy 1, Lesson 2
    I thought it was very interesting concerning the “Spirit of the Lord” being bestowed to people (or taken away in the case of Saul), how God commissioned Moses and then Moses put his hands on Joshua and commissioned him. Then on to Samuel, Saul and David. It was a good example of how God always has a plan when David was ready to take over when Saul was not obeying, and the Spirit of the Lord left Saul and comes upon David.

Nina, I like the way you explained that there was no reason to deprecate Moses to lift Jesus up higher.

Georgina, I too enjoyed learning about the comparison between Moses and Jesus concerning transfiguration and exodus. Again, it tied the Old Testament and New Testament together more for me.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Patricia, Moses had Joshua ready to take over after him. Ive always wondered why Joshua didn’t have someone ready to take the baton from him.

edoerfel
    Participant

A few things stood out to me in lecture 4.

The covenant of God and Isreal through Moses is likened into a marriage covenant- breaking that covenant is like the sin of breaking apart a marriage- really serious stuff!!!

And

No prophecy of scripture is a matter of ones own inturpuratation , no prophecy was ever made by act of human will, but men moved by the holy spoke from God. 

I also love how hes teaching us to keep our thinking open in certain areas. Its good to have an open mind, right when you think you have things figured out, things happen and you need to adapt!

robertaleps
      Participant

Comment on edoerfel on Biblical Prophecy 1, lesson 4
      About keeping your mind open… I believe God reveals some things to me when I’m ready…. as the saying goes… “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

douglasleps
      Participant

comment on edorerfel Biblical Prophesy lesson 4

I totally agree that even though the Prophets were mere men, all the Prophesies were God Inspired.

nnewton
    Participant

I thought it was Interesting on lecture 4 when the instructor started talking about some “facts about prophesy”.

Amos said he was just a Sheep herder in chapter 1 vs 1.

When the Priest told him to stop prophesying In the Northern Kingdom and to go prophesy somewhere else.
    Amos said i am not a prophet nor am i the son of a prophet, I am just a farmer. But God took me from the flock and told me to go prophesy.

The instructor said Amos had a very strong calling to prophesy but that’s all he said about that.

I wonder why he said he wasn’t a prophet when he was a prophet, I wonder what the message was supposed to be.

Maybe he was trying to say he was just a normal person, nothing special.

Although,

I do think it’s a good example to show that what ever you do for your career does not mean you can’t still be called to work for God.

I feel a lot of people think only the church should be out there trying to get “one more” because they work at the church.
    But just like Amos, he is just a sheep herder and look what he was called to do! To Prophesy!
    So i think it’s a good reminder to try to find your calling and don’t think you can’t do anything for God because you work at Windixie!

MeriLynn
      Participant

When we use our gifts solely for the church and within the church, we are “preaching to the sheared sheep”. Like Amos, when we have a calling, we take it out to where we are and lead the lost back to God. Never feel like your time spent “in the Lion’s Den” is not being used by God, Nina. I suspect you are being used more than most!

douglasleps
        Participant

Reply to Merilynn biblical prophesy 1 lesson 4

So true.. How easy it is to speak about God in church with other believers….. But the ones who really need to hear it are not in church. They are out in the darkness. Be the light for them.

robertaleps
        Participant

Reply on MeriLynns and Ninas comments to Biblical prophecy 1, lesson 4. This takes me back to a time and a conversation that I once had early in my employment at the No Name Pub. I said to my good friend and spiritual mentor Judy Remley that I thought I should quit my job and find somewhere else to work because it is a dark place with a lot of sinful goings ons and it’s not good for me to be around it and she said Hunny, you have to be the light in the dark world. No matter where you go, there will be darkness.

MeriLynn
          Participant

That is so true, Roberta… When I came back to the church, I was feeling bad about being in the business that I was in until I realized that I was actually having an effect on the people there … it wasn’t anything that I was doing, but light does cast out darkness and God was working through me. Today, the business is totally different because the employees have changed because I did. Pretty amazing how God can use “anything” for His Glory!!

robertrios
      Participant

Great post!

I completely agree with your comment. I think we are all called to share the gospel with the lost, and bring one more to Christ.

nnewton
    Participant

Eddy,

I also liked that part of the lecture when he said to have your minds opened.
    So many things never go to plan and i think being ready to change and adapt is a great quality to have.

jdoerfel
    Participant

I feel like Amos’ point was that God can use people who seem insignificant to do amazing things. Amos was a just a sheep herder? Well David was just a young kid who took care of the sheep. It was also really interesting when he was talking about the many different views of prophecy. I’m shocked that some Christians have the major conservative views on it that he pointed out. So crazy

TABlunt
    Participant

Thanks Georgina on Lession 3 you talked about the parallels of Moses/Joshua and Elijah/Elisha which were particularly interesting. The additional parallel of Elijah/Elisha to John the Baptist and Jesus, I found fascinating. The levels of forshadowing of the new testament are seemingly endless when you start to dig into the the OLd Testament. I am grateful for the newer translations which are much easier for me to understand! It is great to hear and read from others who have much greater insight into the meaning/intrepretation of the Word.

ardisconner
    Participant

In lesson 3 he talks about how people are so curious about the future that they will do anything to find answers; i.e. soothsaying, divination, casting spells, witchcraft. They don’t realize it is all false prophecy and that they are dealing with the evil one. I like what he says at the end of the lesson: we need courage tempered by humility to speak the gospel of Christ.

douglasleps
      Participant

Ardis, unfortunatly it seems as if people just dont learn…. there are just as many people out there today putting there trust in anything and everything but GOD.
      Snake oil salesmen abound.
      the only true answers are found through
      Jesus

rudyrudolph
      Participant

Ardis, your comments make such sense. I agree that we need courage tempered by humility to speak the Gospel. We also need some confidence which comes by knowing the Word of God through study and reflection. Rudy

susanrohe
      Participant

There are so many pitfalls to watch out for when we study and preach the word of God. We have to remember that even Satan and his minions know the Bible so they know how to misinterpret its meaning. At this point, I feel like I have alot more to learn before I will be ready to lead other people in an understanding of scripture. To preach is such a great responsibility!

JDoyle
      Participant

Totally agree with you. Like Douglas said, people are going anywhere but to God! That’s why we need to show them the real way to go.

ardisconner
    Participant

Lesson 4-I am glad he talked about the People of God: talking about Israel as a nation-how God wanted to circumcise the heart of Israel-that the remnant shall be saved; that there was an Israel within Israel-ethnic versus heart relationship.

MeriLynn
      Participant

Lesson 4

I liked the understanding that the Prophets were orators and not so much writers. They spoke to the people in “poetry”… Poetic parallelism, metaphors and lines of ideas. Knowing that helped me to understand that some parts of prophesy were not meant to be taken literally. The professor’s example of the “cedars of Lebanon” and the “oaks of Bashan” were speaking of lofty pride and the arrogance of man. (Isaiah 12:2). I love that now as I read the New Testsment, I can see where the authors were referring to the Old Testament… Quoting Scripture that points directly to the inclusion of the Gentiles as in Romans 15:7 and in the promises of the Messiah. I am still amazed at God’s choice of Paul… And who better than one who had persecuted Christians, one who was a scholar of the Old Testament, and one who could use this knowledge to bring phrophsy to light for the Gentiles.

Amos and Hosea were the first literary prophets…and both called upon Israel to repent. Hosea addressed Idolatry and called down judgement on his people as they not only worshipped God but other gods and Amos addressed social injustices, which was the issue in his day. How interesting that God sent them to speak for Him and yet they were rejected. And how sad that we are still dealing with idolatry and social injustice today and the evil one still blinds so many to the truth of God’s Word!

robertrios
      Participant

Great post!

I also like how He turns all things into His glory by including the gentiles as his people when Israel forsakes Him.

TABlunt
    Participant

In lesson 4 I found the discussion that “Real Politic” (political powers, policy of the king..) and ” Real People” (common man, priests and false prophets..) of the time of the prophecy were key to understanding the meaning and context of the prophecy as well as making an accurrate application today. I would venture that without courses like these and study, few really understand the meaning of bible prophecy. I think that is one reason why many people today question belief in prophecy and .

Like Nina, the Amos story caught my attention. I had not heard planning and choosing a career referred to as “find your calling” since I was a child. My grandparents used the term and there would be family prayers about it when children left/graduated from school.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Bible prophesy lesson 2 caught my thinking off guard. Mistakingly, I always gave Jesus redemptive love and mercy a nullifying effect on the hard core law of Moses. With a prophetic perspective, it actually puts it on a higher plane, putting even more emphasis on “doing the next right thing!”

tomdoerfel
    Participant

On TABlunts comment concerning information vs formation, that’s a very good perspective and should inspire us to want these gifts in our church communities.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

In lesson 2 it says people will know when a prophet is not from the Lord when his prophecy doesn’t come true. Some prophecies took such a long time to come true, you wouldn’t be around to see it happen. I’m also learning a new respect for Moses, as the Old Testament continues to come alive for me.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

On patriciakuhns comment, the simple yet sometimes difficult act of obedience did get handed down in a straight forward manner of speaking…in terms of prophesy. Good stewardship resulted in blessings and vice versa. It made me think about what happened once the generations following Joshua started ignoring the prophets in light of what’s happening today in our culture…just a few decades ago stores weren’t even open on Sunday!

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

I really enjoy the comparisons of the Old Testament prophecies tying into the New Testament. I really enjoyed The comparison I love you old testament prophecies Sign into the new testament. And how in the book of Acts Pentecost was an intensification Of the prophecy. Knowing more about the Old Testament and how it ties into the New Testament really helps me to understand the New Testament at a whole new level. I am very grateful for these courses

Georgina
    Participant

In listening to the 1st part of lesson 5, I was surprised to hear that part of the genre of Jonah was poetry. And so I read Chapter 2 and fell in love with it; when I think about the many times “In my distress u called to the LORD, and he answered me” I’m overwhelmed by gratitude for His faithfulness to me. At the same time I was struck with how true v 8 is “Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs” I know so many people who search for life more abundant from what the world offer only to feel empty when the return doesn’t satisfy( when all along the abundant life comes from putting God in His rightful place. But what I love most about the book of Jonah is how our God is portrayed as a God who has compassion for all mankind.

robertaleps
      Participant

Reply to Georgina, biblical prophecy 1, lesson 5. Well said about the book of Jonah. God is the only way to fill our empty soul. We cannot get that kind of joy anywhere else. And when I truly seek Him, He shows me His loving face and helps me in my times of distress. The fact that I’m alive is a miracle, but I see His miracles every time I “LOOK”.

Georgina
    Participant

In The second part of Lesson 5, I noticed how the theme of “judgment and hope” found in Isaiah also could be found in Micah, Nahum and Zephaniah. He disciplines Israel to bring them back. He does the same to us, He disciplines me because He loves me and wants me close to Him for in this closeness is where I’m most happy. I also liked how he highlighted the thread of continuity with the books of Micah, Nahum and Zephaniah – his judgment of Israel at the hands of the Assyrians; his judgment on Assyriah; and His judgment on all the earth. Again, all of this to bring His people back from idolatry to A covenant relationship with Him. God is faithful to his people.

susanrohe
      Participant

As sinners we need the constant reminder of the judgment. Judgment for our sins would be very discouraging if we did not live in the hope and knowledge that our sins are forgiven when we sincerely pray for forgiveness.

ardisconner
    Participant

Yes, Georgina, I see how he disciplines his children and wants to have a relationship with us. As you say, the closer we are to God is the time we are most happy. We have hope now and in the future…we need to trust and obey Him.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 3, Part 2. I really like that he reminds us to ask God for wisdom, courage and humility before we talk to others concerning when we think false prophecy is involved. As a child, I saw others do it in a harsh way that discouraged and offended and caused people to move farther away from God and the church. At Vineyard, I have seen people do it in a soft, loving and kind way that did not offend.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

Patrick, I agree completely that correction of any sort needs to be approached with a loving spirit. I think that applies not just in Church but in our daily lives. Thinking back on my life I can remember way too many instances where I was completely right, but where I approached the situation without a loving heart. No wonder that I did not get an agreeable response. Rudy

MeriLynn
      Participant

I love our Vineyard for that very reason! We are never made to feel unwanted because we may think a little differently when we first come there. We are encouraged to “keep coming back” and literally “loved into the Kingdom” as the Spirit of God cleans us up from the inside out!!😊

MeriLynn
      Participant

I love our Vineyard for that very reason! We are never made to feel unwanted because we may think a little differently when we first come there. We are encouraged to “keep coming back” and literally “loved into the Kingdom” as the Spirit of God cleans us up from the inside out!!😊

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 3. Ardis, It is amazing how people still try to find out about the future using horoscopes, tarot card readings, etc. trying to get answers instead of putting themselves in God’s hands and going with the plan he has for us.

Lesson 3. To TABlunt, I am also glad for the newer translations of the Bible that are easier for me to understand too. It is a great age to live in, and we live in the part of the world where we have the freedom of reading whatever we want. I appreciate that every day.

TABlunt
    Participant

Lessson 5 made me realize how much of the Old Testament I had read as a parable or illustrative story rather than real events, prophecy or meaningful to the New Testament. As many have commented, this course is bringing the Old Testament alive. I was really “shocked” when I thought about Jonah actually living in a fish 3 days and being spit out alive. Then that Jonah was a real prophet and this event was a precursor of Christ’s death and resurrection.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

I also had not thought of Jonah’s experience of three days as a precursor of Christ being buried for three days. It’s really cool how the Old Testament is coming alive and more relevant as we study the old prophesies. Rudy

robertaleps
      Participant

Lesson 5, comment on TABlunt. I have read the Bible my whole life and never regarded the old testament as I do now with this bible college studies and Pastor Steve teachings. All the ties between the old and new testament, and the crimson thread that runs through since the beginning of time. It also blows me away that we today, are still so much like those of the old testament, our forgetfulness. impatience, little faith, and wanting to do things our own way, etc.

robertrios
      Participant

I also love how God uses Jonah and changes his mind by showing him how God treasures all life he created and because He’s a God of love and mercy He wants to show that love and mercy even to the undeserving.

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

I like how its starts explaining things from the very beginning. I wondered things like what the difference was between the major and minor profits, but was I guess just afraid to ask. I am really enjoying learning more about the types of prophets. How they were called into Gods service sometimes to warn those who are not following Gods will. How prophecy is echoed from the Old to the New Testament

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

I must say I am very surprised at how interested I have become with the Old Testament. I am seeing everything at such a different level. I never thought so much about the similarities of Moses and Jesus, How have I missed these things over the years! Like when God is speaking of Moses and says I will put my words in his mouth. I love how it says that God would have destroyed them all if it hadn’t been for Moses His chosen one who stood in the breech and turned Gods wrath away.

robertaleps
      Participant

I certainly agree. It was nice to have someone put all the similarities side by side on a chart, now that is real study! I like what you said about God would have destroyed the people if it wasn’t for Moses, which is as similar to Jesus in that we all would be destroyed without Jesus’ saving grace. I love having you in the class with us Sheila

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Lesson 1:
    Of particular interest to me was the lecturer’s comments about how all prophesy is Christ-centered. That all prophesy in the Old Testament, even though it was for covenant enforcement, it still pointed to Christ and the coming Messiah. Then in the New Testament how prophesies were fulfilled in Christ. The key verse that resounds with me is Luke 4:21 “He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.””

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Lesson 2.
    Gave me a new appreciation for Moses, whom I had always thought of as just in the Old Tesament. But, as Dr. Turner says “He’s quite the man!” He predicts the coming of the Messiah as God tells him that He will raise up One who is greater than Moses. There are some parallels between Moses and Jesus that come out in the lecture, which I had never realized. I found it most interesting how Moses also had a transfiguration when God put him in the cleft of the rock and then had His Glory pass by, and then Moses radiated God’s Glory. I note that Moses transfiguration was from outside himself, from God, whereas Jesus’ transfiguration was from His internal glory showing through. And in both cases God spoke loudly and told all to “Listen to Him.” That’s a command that we all should immediately comply with.

TABlunt
    Participant

Lesson 6 covers so many prophets that it could be a separate section! Several of Dr. Tuckers points about Jeremiah hit me – he was young and unsure of his role. God told him “straight” that his calling as a prophet would be hard, he would suffer and not many would believe his words. Jeremiah’s faith let him be directed by the holy spirit to do God’s work. Several of his prophecies have new testament paralles. In Chapter 31 he speaks about the coming New Covanant were the Law is not external rather written in the believers hearts (Holy Spirit).

Georgina
      Participant

Hi Tracey, I’m commenting to your post of Lesson 6 on Jeremiah. Although Jeremiah was young and would be faced with a difficult task; God in Jer 1:8 told him “Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you” and also through the vision of the “Almond Tree” God was saying to Jeremiah yet again “I will watch over you Jeremiah”. This brings back many memories of having to step out in faith and despite my fears to obey my God and hear, not in an audible voice, by in my spirit “I am with you my child, do not fear, no weapon formed against you shall prevail”.

robertaleps
        Participant

Ditto to Georgina and Tracey… I also relate so much to Jeremiah and thank God I have miracles in my past that I can reflect on today to sustain my faith and see new miracles come full circle. God rewards our obedience and we can see it, when we are looking.

ardisconner
    Participant

Lesson 6 is a good lesson for today’s Christians. Even if we are unsure of our role in God’s plan as Jeremiah was, even if we don’t have the experience that others may have, we need to have the faith of Jeremiah to do whatever God calls us to do, even if it is uncomfortable for us. Our faith in God will carry us through. One of the underlying themes of idolatry and injustice hasn’t changed a bit through the centuries. The same judgements can be made on us as a nation if we don’t turn from the many forms of idolatry that surround us and the injustice that is prevalent throughout the world toward those who are weaker.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

Ardis, I liked your comment about Jeremiah and how that relates to us today. Yes, we need to have faith like his that God will touch our mouths and place his words therein to enable us to speak for Him. Wow, such a promise! And all we need to do is be willing and have faith…. Rudy

MeriLynn
        Participant

Yes Ardis and Rudy… The prayer of my heart is to speak boldly what my Dpirit tells me to and that they not be my words, but His … And also that His people will hear “what they need to hear”. It takes the burden from me and allows me to Judy carry the message!

douglasleps
      Participant

Reply to Addis biblical prophecy lesson 6
      So true. Many times we as modern day Christians must rely on our faith that God will see us through. In this life you will have troubles!
      Trust that God knows what he is doing always.

coopertlc123
      Participant

I agree with the sins of idolatry and injustice still being prevalent today. These sins have never left society and it is quite apparent they will not go away until Jesus returns

MeriLynn
    Participant

I began this exciting journey yesterday and I saw that more than one person wrote on this subject, Roberta. It made me smile to see so many of us comment on “seeing Jesus face to face”… What a glorious day that will be!!!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Reply to Eddie’s July 27th Post. (I can’t figure out how to post this below his post!!!!)

I found that really amazing too, Eddie, and I wrote about it as well… Though not as eloquently 😊
    I was also amazed … And have always been amazed by Prophesy and its fulfillment. In Luke 1:17, the Angel says: “And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous – to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.” And he could not speak until John’s birth, when he said Joh’s name. “Signs and Wonders and Angels” accompanied the Prophesies and I wish there were more of that today so that the people would be compelled to change! “Turn the hearts of fathers to their children” seems especially poinient in this day and age when we have so many fatherless children in our society!!

Tjack456
    Participant

I have completed listening to the lessons in Biblical Prophecy 1 and have so enjoyed Dr. Turner. He is so easy to listen to, informative without ever being boring. I find myself wishing he had more time to continue on some of the topics.
    I have a friend who is a Seventh Day Adventist and everything they learn at her church revolves around “Biblical Prophecy”. She used to talk about it constantly and bring books over for me to read. She recently sent me some Doug Batchelor DVD’s and calls me every couple weeks asking if I’ve watched them. I am familiar with him and have watched him several times. So the idea of “biblical prophecy” for me was always “end times” stuff. What does Daniel and Revelation say about who the antichrist is? What are the “keys” to “unlocking bible prophecy”? While this all may be part of it, (though her concept is more gloom and doom, and modern day conspiracy theory than my beliefs are) it was a breath of fresh air to learn that Bible Prophecy started as soon as we messed up His perfect world, because God loves us SOOOO much that even when we mess things all up, he works a plan to fix it. Unfortunately we (collectively as a people, such as the Israelites then and us today) continue to mess it up. Thankfully, he fulfilled His promise by sending his only Son to die for us and now that we have faith in Jesus and what he did, that we were saved by His grace, God continues to love us unconditionally where we are, broken and all, until he comes back for us. Once again, to save us from our sin. All I’m left with is WOW.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

Tracy Jackson: that was a very beautiful way of explaining how this course has affected your thinking. Thanks for sharing. Rudy

Tjack456
    Participant

By the way, I’m Tjack 456- Tracey Jackson. I don’t know how to upload a photo and if I try anything new I mess up and lock myself out so … there ya go.

bchiagouris
      Participant

We know what you look like:-)

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 4. I admire Amos when he did not back down when the priest Amaziah told him to go to Judah and prophesy there; when he said that he did not train to be a prophet, but was doing it simply because God called him to do it; and especially when he told the priest that his wife would be a harlot-his sons and daughters fall by the sword, etc. To me that shows the great faith in God that he had because he knew he was doing the right thing.

To TABlunt, I agree with you about Dr. Turners discussion about “Real Politic” and “Real People” needing to be understood in order to know the context of the prophecy. So many times today, bible verses are taken out of context and used for purposes they were not intended for.

Meri-Lynn, I love the “Footprints Of God Thru The Sands Of History” analogy too.

robertaleps
    Participant

Biblical Prophecy 1 Lesson 2
    What Moses said, that “If you obey God,you will be blessed” is evidently true in Bible days and today.

douglasleps
    Participant

Biblical Prophesy 1 Lesson 2

I found it amazing to see the similarities between Moses and Jesus. The Old and New Teataments.
    Although Ive read both, I never was able to undestand to tie them together.
    Until they were presented side by side I never quite understood.

robertaleps
    Participant

Biblical Prophecy 1,Lesson 3
    It is crucial and our responsibility to read, study, and know God’s word so we can discern between a real and false prophet/anti christ

rudyrudolph
      Participant

Robert, you are so correct. We are to study and know what is so important to life. I am reminded of the scripture my mother wrote in the Bible she gave me on my birthday in 1972: 2 Timothy 2:15 “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that need not to be ashamed, rightfully dividing the Word of Truth.” Rudy

douglasleps
    Participant

Biblical Prophecy 1 lesson 3
    I now see how to distinguish between genuine Prophecy and false prophecy. Although it seems easy to determine a false Prophet when they worship a false
    God, it is much more difficult to see when a Prophet Claims to serve the true
    God but delivers a false misleading message.
    Even today we see it all the time. Marketing ploys, horoscopes, palm readers and that sort of thing. People are always searching for answers. But not always in the right places or from the right people

bendoerfel
    Participant

Totes on what Doug said about seeing the evidence like shooting a gun and hitting a target, seeing how perfect God tied everything together back then is so comforting to think about what is still to come.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  bendoerfel.

bendoerfel
    Participant

Biblical prophecy 1 lesson 6

I liked what he said about how Moses said in Deuteronomy “here I’m giving you life and prosperity or death and adversity, choose life”. It’s sad that it seems so simple but they chose death. I think that still partly true today. I know I want the life God has called me to but sometimes it’s easy to stray off in other directions. It’s cool to think about the obedience the prophets had to God. People didn’t like what they had to say lots of the time. I know in my life when people don’t like what I’m saying or doing it’s very discouraging. For them it was even life threatening. Very encouraging to keep on the right path and know Gods in control.

robertaleps
      Participant

Ben, Your testimony is encouraging!

robertrios
    Participant

This is a lesson 1 post.
    I listened to the audio, and I read the notes and it really opened my eyes to see how many prophets there where in the bible and the differences between priest and prophets , and how prophets faced the people while being used as instruments of communication, and priests along with the people would face God for worship.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 3- I enjoyed the comparisons. The lightbulb went on inside my head, wondering why I never noticed the similarities before.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4 – Really enjoying this class. So much information given so quickly. I’ve said it before, but I really like the Old Testament/New Testament connections, and the key themes narrowed down to idolatry and injustice was helpful, that the Israelites sins could be wrapped up in those two categories. And today, it is still the same two things, idolatry and injustice, that we struggle with.

TABlunt
    Participant

Like Meri-Lynn, I have found the Forum posts and lecture material so interesting and revealing, it is hard to take it all in and easy to get overwhelmed in details and beautiful writing. Steppping back after the lecutres and looking from a perspective of what helps me be more Christ LIke, my top line take away and I would love to hear yours.

We have 2 choices in life – no fence riding. One life and keeping His laws or death (Old Testament Moses), similarly stated Righteousness or God’s Wrath (New Testament Romans, Paul).

Idolatry and Injustice in their broadest sense are the base of sin today as in the days of the Bible. They are ever present remeinders and temptations that Evil is real and has consequences. Just because it is OK and accepted in culture does not make it OK or right in God’s view.

Bottom like we have nothing to Prove when we stand up for our beliefs, just One to Please.

Thanks for providing such a wonderful Christian learning and fellowship.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

I love your bottom line, so well stated:
      “We have nothing to prove when we stand up for our beliefs, just One to please.”
      Wow! That nails it, thanks, Rudy

Georgina
    Participant

Lesson 6A (Habakkuk, Obadiah and Jeremiah) Since one of my favorite OT books are Habakkuk I was especially happy to listen to this part and glad for the reminder that “God is free to use sinners to discipline His people”. When we are disciplined its also to purify us and “save” us, just like God used the wicked Babylonians to purify and save Israel. When I say “save” I don’t mean salvation given freely by my belief in the son of God who died for me; but saved from idolatry of all sorts and a hardening of my heart towards sin. I was also glad to hear him say that the book of Habakkuk helps us in “seeing a silver lining through the clouds”. Even though everything would be lost when the Babylonians would invade Habakkuk would wait on God and persevere despite hardships. I leave you and hope you are blessed with my favorite verse from this book:
    ” Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
    though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
    though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
    yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.” Hab 3:17-18
    May we all have this type of faith. May I rely on Him and Him alone when all else is gone “The Sovereign Lord is my strength, he makes my feet like the feet of the deer, he enables me to thread on the heights.” 3:19

bchiagouris
      Participant

That was an awesome comment and a great reality check for me!

robertaleps
      Participant

Wow this was so beautifully said Georgina that it brought tears to my eyes, especially your favorite verse. It is so nice when I can see the silver lining of a hardship. God is so good!

Georgina
    Participant

Lesson 6B (Joel, Ezekiel and Daniel)
    I like how Dr. Turner started this tape, reminding us that the previous prophets warned the people about the consequences of rebelling against God and turning aside from the Mosaic Covenant. Now, Joel Ezekiel and Daniel answer the question as to what happens next and answers the question, Has God abandoned His people? This is so relevant to us even now, for we may feel that the consequences of our past sins have caught up with us or maybe even us as a nation; and we wonder, is this it, have I, have we, sinned so badly that I/we have stepped away from the grace of God in my/our lives and nation? Yet there is hope, God has not abandoned His people, this is true for Israel as it is true for us. We have a glorious future; just as there is a glorious future for Israel and the city of Jerusalem.

robertrios
    Participant

This is a response to lesson 2. Its amazing to see all the similarities between Jesus and Moses and Moses and the rest of the prophets like Joshua and Samuel. And how God delights in people after His own heart.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 1
    I enjoyed the first lecture on biblical prophecy and how Dr. Turner explained that Prophets were placed on the scene by God to keep the Israel nation in line with the Mosaic Law and not so much as a mystic crystal ball of the future.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Biblical Prophecy 1 Lesson II

I really find it thought provoking how Moses the prototypical prophet and our Lord Jesus lives parallel one another. Moses was hidden by his mother to escape death from Egypt’s Pharaoh, while Mary and Joseph left Bethlehem and ran to Egypt to escape Herod’s execution etc… I also liked the way the Professor brought forth the prophecy of Moses concerning the Messiah in Deuteronomy 18 and the importance Jesus placed on Moses role through history in Messianic prophecy.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 3 of Biblical Prophecy 1 was very informative as far as bringing out the roles of the first prophets and how through the ages their roles changed. Moses, Joshua and Samuel were not just God’s covenant enforcers, but were also the civil leaders of the times. As the monarchy was established, the roles of the prophets diminished from civil leaders to God’s covenant enforcers encouraging Israel to live according to God’s law. It is liberating to note that today we have the Holy Spirit living in believers and encouraging us to live life by doing the next right thing. I also appreciated the Professor’s statement concerning the Post modern world and relativism. We as believers have been given this great discernment and criteria to distinguish truth from fiction. That is God’s inerrant Word guiding us in every area of life. Praise God!

JDoyle
    Participant

Lesson 2A
    I never thought of how parallel Jesus’ and Moses’ lives were. Like Dr. Turner said, I always just thought of him as the guy who parted the Red Sea and gave the Ten Commandments. Hearing this, it’s like, “Ohhhhhhh….I never realized that!” The chart really helps, too. 🙂

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 4 of biblical prophesy 1 was intriguing in the interpretation of prophesy and how we are to view prophetic utterances. I personally agree with Dr. Turner’s view of dispensation of prophesy and how it may apply today. I believe all scripture is God breathed and profitable for instruction today and forever.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 4b. It is interesting to note that Amos and Hosea, both prophets of God are called to address specific areas of decline in the culture of the times. Amos is confronting social injustice while Hosea is calling the Northern Kingdom to repent for idolatry. Here it is thousands years later and we still struggle in the 21st century with social injustice and idolatry. Although time has elapsed, the human hearts remain the same, blinded by the enemy of God. It is a privilege that as Christians we get to transform this 21st century, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to bring our neighborhoods and communities to Christ and away from social injustice and idolatry.

MeriLynn
      Participant

It seems, in these times as in the day of Amos and Hosea, that people have rejected “the prophets” and so the Word of God has dried up. We are in a time of “famine”… People today, because of the culture, seem more willing to believe in false prophets that tell them what they want to hear!

robertrios
    Participant

This is a response two lesson 3. I loved the similarities between Elijah and Elisha the prophets and how they were explained I also found it rather interesting the part of the lesson where false prophets are discussed and how we are to discern between true and false. And if I were to look around today, I think I would conclude that we are living in an age of false prophecy where people or false prophets are trying to compromise what is in the bible to fit politically correct agendas, instead of standing by the truth without compromise.

bchiagouris
      Participant

That’s a great observation on your part Eddie. I totally agree.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 5 awakened my spirit to the compassion and grace of God for all nations and all people. Psalm 148:5 “God is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. I think about God’s love for the people of Nineveh in spite of their wickedness and how we are to emulate that love toward all people,even those who wound us. Not an easy task, but certainly attainable through His spirit living in us.

douglasleps
      Participant

Reply to bchiagouris Biblical prophesy 1 lesson 5
      Barry, I so relate to God’s love for Nineveh despite it’s wickedness. I am always amazed by God’s love for me even though I fail him daily.
      On a personal note … Thanks for the advice about praying for someone who I was having a difficult time with… God is Great… It worked!

robertrios
      Participant

Great post Barry,

Its like when Jesus talks to the Pharisees in Mathew 20 in The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard, and how we should have a heart of generosity towards the lost and be happy when God invites the lost to the His kingdom “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 6 Biblical Prophecy 1

I thought it was interesting to note that Daniel was written in Hebrew and Aramaic. The Hebrew translation was directed to the Israel nation while the Aramaic translation to the relationship of Israel to other nations. I also love the fact that with our God there is always the idea He will not abandon us but promises a glorious future.

robertrios
      Participant

Great post Barry,

I love how God makes a way for all of us back to him whether its someone sharing the gospel with the lost or just reading the bible with someone who can explain the word to us through the holy spirit like in Acts 8:26-40 where Philip explains a bible verse to the eunuch.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5

God is just and compassionate with his people and wants his people to do the same. It was interesting to learn about Jonah’s patriotism, that he didn’t have compassion on the people of Ninevah. He didn’t want them to enjoy God’s blessings. It is also helpful to keep hearing the themes of judgement, hope, and that the peoples’ sins were so basic, idolatry and not following the Golden Rule. He called the remnant the foundation of the future. It’s cool to think of belonging to the remnant, and wondering what part I (or we) have in His story.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Cheryldoerfel.

bchiagouris
      Participant

. Hey Cheryl, I was thinking about Jonah’s resistance to God when asked to go to Nineveh; and I have to say that I could have been just as resistant. The wickedness and torture of the Assyrian capital toward their fellow man was beyond our comprehension. The devices of torture they used was unconscionable. I remember in our lecture of the OT that Dr. Rodgers brought out that Jonah not only hated the Ninevites, but more than likely sensed a great deal of fear in going into Nineveh and telling them to repent. I’m sure Jonah was thinking about his own demise and what torturous treatment he might have to endure after giving them the message of repentance. I probably would have hidden in the janitor’s closet at the Vineyard to escape that mission. lol

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  bchiagouris.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  bchiagouris.

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Lesson three, part 2: the lecturer gave many examples of false prophets and those that are seen in today’s events. And he reminded us to remember the great test of prophets as written in Deuteronomy 18, that the prophesy must not go against a previous prophesy, that it must be concurrent with what has already been revealed. So that makes it quite easy that any prophesy that does not recognize God as the only God, and that Christ is the risen Lord, is thus false. It doesn’t matter what great sign or miracle can accompany that false prophesy; it should be discarded immediately if it doesn’t agree with the First Commandment.

MeriLynn
      Participant

Well put, Rudy!!

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Lesson four: some of the propehesies of the Old Testament are starting to make more sense, especially as I see them used in the New Testament, and as I hear them in context today. For example, one that struck me is the prophesy in Amos 9:11 about the rebuilding of David’s Tabernacle. That prophesy is used by James in Acts 15:16 to convince the Church in Jerusalem that the Gentiles need not be circumcised and obey the Law of Moses to be saved. I had just learned in the School of Prayer about the layout of David’s Tabernacle and how it was meant for all to worship, not just the Jews. There was no veil that separated the people from the Holy of Holies. God was among His people, which is the way it is now that Christ has torn the veil, from top to bottom. Praise God for His Mercy.

MeriLynn
      Participant

Thank you, Rudy. I didn’t catch that one. It all moves along pretty quickly… But it is interesting to see how the authors of the New Testsment called on these prophesies… Reminding the people that what was happening had been foretold and to realize that through Christ, they were coming true.

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Lesson Five: I was struck by the discussion about Jonah. For some reason I had never thought of him as a prophet, not even a minor one. I’ve known the story of Jonah and his survival in the belly of a whale since I was a small child. It was just one of those interesting yet hard to believe Bible stories. Yet he was a prophet who was given a command to prophesy in an evil land, and he disobeyed God and landed in an unusual place. Even after he finally came to his senses and prophesied as instructed, he still didn’t believe that God was right in that prophesy. His lament is the other part of the story. I suppose the reason I never thought of Jonah as a prophet is because his book is different than those of other prophets, his book is more of a story.

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Lesson Six:
    This last section contained numerous Old Testament prophesies and connections to the New Testament. I was in awe at these connections, especially that about God’s new covenant. In Jer 31:31-34 the Prophet described how God was making a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah, how He would write His instructions upon their hearts, and He would be their God and they would be His people. And that connects to Jesus who, in Luke 22 during the Last Supper, gives them the New Covenant in the form of His Precious Blood. Wow! So great of our God to place His Spirit within us and to write upon our hearts! Praise God for His loving kindness to us… Rudy

douglasleps
      Participant

Reply to Rudy biblical prophecy 1 lesson 6
      Wow, I never realized how similar those two events were. God making a covenant with the people of Israel and Judah and then Jesus who give the disciples a new covenant in the form of his blood shed for them.

robertrios
      Participant

Great post Rudy,

God’s faithful mercy and grace in full display in the bible and in our lives, and how God raises up prophets even reluctant ones to be lamps in this dark world to bring the lost back to the Father.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 3 Bible Prophesy 1

The similarities between Elijah and Moses were revisited here and I found them interesting again. That Elijah was a “judgement” Prophet trying to get his people to follow God and warning them of Bael Worship reminded me of Moses trying to get his people to the Promised Land and how disobedient they were… Even to their not waiting for him to come down from the mountain with the 10 Commandments and crafting and worshipping the golden calf. Both called on God and pleaded with God to help them show the people that there was but one true God.

The differences between Elijah and Elisha was also interesting. Elijah was a loner and jumped in to give a Word from God to get his people back on tract where Elisha spent time with the people and cared for them much like Jesus. I didn’t know that Elisha had such a long history as a Prophet as he is not talked about in the New Testament as much as Elijah.

The part of the lesson on the false Phrophets was very interesting as well. We need to be able to discern what is true based on our Covenant promise. The “curiosity” of humans wanting to know what the future holds (and not trusting God with it) is so real today. Whatever makes them “feel good” is what they can rationalize as “truth” and we must hold firm to Scripture and use courage tempered with humility to lead them back into God’s magnificent Grace.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 5. I found it interesting how Dr. Turner connects Micah and Nahum and some of the other prophets with the “thread of continuity” concerning God’s promises and his plan for all mankind in the Old Testament to destroy death and in the New Testament as to how he did it.

Barry, I agree that it is not an easy task sometimes to emulate love to people who have wounded us. Also, it was very interesting what you said about the Jewish Seder dinner about leaving front door open so Elijah would know that he was welcome.

Rudy, I was also struck about the story about Jonah and the whale. I have known the story since I was a small child, but never connected it as representing the death and resurrection of Jesus.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 6, I really enjoyed the lessons in Biblical Prophecy I because Dr. Turner had the same structure in his teaching about each prophet (the theme of the book, oracles of judgment and hope, idolatry and injustice, the role of the prophet and especially New Testament usage). That way we could study and compare the prophets. Again, giving New Testament usage really tied the Old Testament and New Testament together even more for me. When talking to others about the Bible, it really helps to be able to connect the scriptures from the Old and New Testament. I agree with Dr. Turner when he said that he wished that he had more time to discuss some of the prophets in more detail.

Tracy, I agree that Dr. Turner was so easy to listen to.

Ben, I agree about it being discouraging when people don’t like what I am saying (like asking them to go to church with me) or what I am doing (like going to church when they want me to do something else at that time) but I just keep reminding myself that I am trying to do the right thing.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Tracey, sorry I misspelled your name.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 6

I like that the New Testament writers knew their Old Testament and could use/see how it applied or related to their situations. As I keep learning, I hope that I can “put things together” and make connections too.

I too like how the lessons were presented. Each prophet lesson was given titles and broken down into the same headings. Very easy to follow. I appreciate that.

robertrios
    Participant

Lesson 4 really made me contemplate Gods loving mercy towards his people and towards the gentiles. And how God listens to a repentant heart and how He’s willing to forgive all when we repent with all our hearts. It shows me how God never changes and how His love and mercy can be seen throughout both in the old and new testament.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 5

Micah was a contemporary of Isaiah. Micah 4:1-3 and Isaiah 2:1-3 are similar and I thought that was interesting… Did they know each other? Did God give them both this message to give to the people because of its importance?
    I was not aware that Micah was used so often by the authors of the New Testsment. I also had forgotten his prophesy that a King would be born in Bethlehem! I also thought “Her leaders judge for a bribe, her priests teach for a price, and her Phrophets tell fortunes for money” sounds a lot like what goes on today!

Zephaniah also speaks of the “Day of The Lord” and gives judgement over Jerusalem and the people of Israel… But later, Zephaniah says He draws His Remnent to him and promises that they will eat and lie down and no one will make them afraid! I love that!
    I have highlighted Zephaniah 3:17 in my Bible: “The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in His love He will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing” … I also noted two songs that verse reminded me of that we sing… He is Mighty to save” and “Sing, Lord, Lord sing”. I love to find the words to our Worship to Him in the lines of Scripture and often make notes in the margins when I do 🙂

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 6

So many Prophets to cover in such a short time!!

The references in the New Restament to the Prophets of the Old Testament were fascinating to me and really helped expand my understanding of both!

In Habakkuk, he was the mouthpiece of Israel to God. He knew that God would judge The Babalonians too but would use them to “spank” Israel. He would rejoice in seeing the silver lining of his faith… And in the NT his prophesies were used in Romans, Galations, and Hebrews to remind us that the one who is righteous, through faith, will persevere… That we are to live by Faith, not works. I highlighted in my Bible Habakkuk 18-19.

Obadiah confronts the Edomites and brings up the rivalry between Esau and Jacob and how that played out down the centuries… But that Israel would eventually posses the Land!

Much was said of Jeremiah and his 40 or 50 years of being a Prophet. I loved how God called him as a youth and told him not to be afraid … That He would be with him and touch him and put words in his mouth… And how faithful Jeremiah was for so long in spite of his people’s unbelief… May we have such tenacity!!

Ezekiel used vivid language to get through to the people and spoke of God’s Glory leaving the Temple because of their disobedience! That really should have been a huge head’s up to all those false prophets!! And I loved how Ezekiel spoke of the Spirit within us and that “clean water” would change their stony hearts to fleshy hearts… And that our Lord Said the same words to Nicodemis in John Chapter 3 about us being “born again!

And Daniel was always an interesting book to me, but I saw it as a great story… Daniel’s story … Of the Babalonians captivity. I didn’t understand that it was filled with Prophesy until now!

I loved this study and how it was presented by Dr. Turner… So much in so few lessons and all so informative and easy to understand!!

JDoyle
    Participant

Lesson 2B

At about 18:55, Dr. Turner mentioned that “The spirit of God left [Saul] and evil spirits of the Lord terrorized him.” How could there be evil spirits of God?

JDoyle
    Participant

At about 18:55, Dr. Turner said that “the spirit of the Lord left Saul and evil spirits from the Lord terrorized him.” How could there be evil spirits of God??

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  JDoyle.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  JDoyle.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 3

Parallelism is striking from comparing OT prophets, Jesus baptism and ministry, to the every day choices we are faced with on our code of moral ethics from family to business matters. Today the ends seem to justify the means in many arenas of life. Living every day as though it may be our last is helping my decisions become clearer the more Gods spirit allows us to understand His word especially in this prophetic sense. Seems our main struggles are still putting Christ first on a personal basis and dealing with social injustice in the sense of community.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

MeriLynn did a great job highlighting my blue collar thoughts. Rudy also pointed out how today’s prophecy needs to add to and not contradict previous kingdom insights.

robertrios
    Participant

I loved lesson 5 and how God shows his mercy and love to those who weren’t his chosen, and invites the lost through Jonah who I would say at first was a Pharisee of sorts because he wanted to exclude people from Gods generosity even though he new God wanted to extend his kingdom to every repentant heart. Its a picture of how Gods mercy is perfect and how God is changing our hearts through the process of sanctification in preventing us from ever excluding anyone from Gods loving mercy.

robertrios
    Participant

Lesson six was great a culmination of Gods faithful promise to Israel in spite of Israel’s transgressions. A great picture of how God never gives up on us and is more than willing to display his mercy and grace to the lost.

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 1, Although I noted that the Prophets and The Law are linked closely together I noted that Psalm 41:9 “Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.” Which reminds me of of a phrase I have often heard in not the to distant past, Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.

Lesson 2, Although too many to retype, I was amazed at the comparison chart between Moses and Jesus with the last comparison listing “Moses is a Prophet of the Old Covenant Church.” , “Jesus is a Prophet, Priest and King of a New and Everlasting Covenant = The Universal Church.”

Lesson 3, Elisha’s miracle Listed on the Chart #7 “Raised a child from the dead, 2Kings 4:32-37″ and for some reason I always thought that only Jesus brought life back into the dead…

Lesson 4, Amos vision of Hope, 9:11-15 15″I will plant Israel in their own land,never again to be uprooted from the land I have given them,” says the Lord your God.

Lesson 5, The point is that God is free to act in response to the obedience or to the disobedience of the of the people and/or the Prophets. Jonah is the disobedient Prophet that learns the hard way about the Compassion of God.

Lesson 6, Regarding post-exilic Prophets, Joel 1:1-5 The word of the Lord that came to Joel son of Pethuel, An Invasion Of Locusts, the plague and the invasion could also have been referring to an Army.

coopertlc123
      Participant

Elijah also raised someone from the dead.

coopertlc123
      Participant

On lesson 5, you are right about Jonah. He was weak in the area of compassion. He had to learn of the compassion of God as well as obedience to God.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1 Although prophesy does continue after the Jesus left the earth, I don’t see them as prophets per say. The prophets had a role as prophet and in the cases of prophesy in the new testament was just that, a prophesy given by one whose role was significantly different. Perhaps I am hung up on semantics but the curtain was ripped and we have a personal experience with Jesus and we have the Holy Spirit.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2 I did not realized that Joshua had not been named a prophet. I didn’t realize one needed to be named a prophet to be a prophet. He replaced Moses and as far as I have been concerned, he was a prophet and a judge.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 3 Elijah and Elisha had similar ministries but yet completely different challenges. Elijah had to deal with worshipers of Baal and Elisha had to deal with Social injustice. Between the two of them, they covered the bases.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 4 It is amazing that the end times were prophesied way back in the old testament. The day of the Lord will be great for a few but great sorrow for many.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 5 Micah 7:7 Therefore I will look unto the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me.

This verse really hit me. In times of stress and worries, I will remember this.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6 I realize I made a mistake in an earlier post when I said the Edomites were descendants of Ishmael. They were actually the descendants of Esau.

Georgina
    Participant

I enjoying listening to the first part of Biblical studies I. I like the statement under “what is going on in Old Testament Prophecy” that states “Prophets are men and women God sends to Israel to keep them faithful to the laws of God.” They were constantly reminding them about Deuteronomy 30 and how “Moses connects the keeping or disobedience of the law to Israel’s future”. That is to say that if God’s people kept their covenant with Him; they would prosper and on the other hand if they disobeyed the curses would follow. It reminded me of Galatians 6:7-8 “Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.”

robertaleps
    Participant

Obedience receives blessings then and today

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Georgina, I like the way you can so easily bring a New Testament scripture and connect it to the Old Testment. Your connection of Galatians 6:7-8 to the Old Testament makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing. Rudy

aidariebow
    Participant

The types of fulfillment really caught my attention. I always felt there was great significance to Judas being served by Jesus at the Last Supper. Hearing the prophecy in Psalm 41:9 I felt another grace filled moment of Jesus “breaking bread” with the worst of sinners.

Ben I also liked the thought that Prophecy is for the encouragement of the church. That God created a place/time/environment for them to hear His revelations and that they were not only relevant for them at that moment historically, but also in the future.

The “Footprints of God in the Sands of History” continue today! Love that our young people are immersed and engaged in the Word.

douglasleps
    Participant

I like the idea of Prophecy being compared to firing a bullet out of a gun and hitting its target. You know its effective when you see the results.

robertaleps
    Participant

Though prophecy is seen and fulfilled in the bible from Genesis through Revelation, and is used in many ways from confronting past and present day morals right from wrong, to the warnings and signs of the end of times, it is enlightening and reassuring to know that this very important and mysterious gift will become unnecessary and cease once we meet Jesus face to face. Amen!

MeriLynn
    Participant

The footprints of God through the sands of History…. I loved that the Old Testament accompanied Jesus all through the New Testament! I thouroughly enjoyed this teaching. I find Dr. Turner to be so easy to listen to and so very interesting. I loved following along in my Bible and writing the Old Testament Prophesy Scripture next to the places where it was fulfilled. I often wondered why the Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah. I didn’t realize that they are waiting for the return of Elijah. I thought it was interesting that John The Baptist paralleled the prophetic ministry of Elijah and that the generic prophesy in Malachi 4:5 encompassed his ministry. Also that Jesus called him the greatest Prophet, heralding his entrance as our Savior.

I am still so far behind! I read the Forum and was so interested in what everyone had to say that I totally forgot who said what to comment on it… I should have stopped where the lesson 1 comments stopped😄… Next time I will try to stay in my own area! I am very excited to continue as I was definitely intrigued by what they were all saying concerning my future studies. Good stuff!!
    Meri-Lynn

bchiagouris
    Participant

Hey MeriLynn,
    At the Jewish Seder dinner there is always an empty chair with a cup set before the place at the table. The place at the table was for Elijah. The Jewish custom was to also leave their front door open so Elijah would know he was welcome. I thought that was very cool history.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  bchiagouris.

susanrohe
    Participant

This lesson got me to thinking about God’s relationship with all creation. I still have trouble reconciling the fact that God made a covenant with the nation of Israel yet so many of the Israelites choose not to follow Jesus. Dr. Turner refers to the remnants of Israel who remained loyal to God and have continued to be loyal to this day as followers of Jesus. I would like to visit Israel someday and talk to the people about their views on God and Jesus. I have heard Israel referred to as God’s chosen people. I have trouble thinking of most Israelites in this way since they have rejected Jesus.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Very cool history, Barry… Thanks👍😄

susanrohe
    Participant

It is amazing how the OT prophets referred to the new covenant to come. Dr. Turner explained that the old covenant was external while the new covenant was internal. Jeremiah refers to the new covenant as the law which will be placed in the hearts of people. I wonder if God, in his wisdom, saw that his people needed to begin their worship and relationship with him through obvious and external customs and practices. Perhaps God knew it would be centuries before people could begin to understand that God lives within them and the relationship between God and man is so much greater than the godly rituals that they practiced.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Well spoken, Susan, and my thought as well. Amazing how God always wanted a real relationship with his people and how time and again they reverted to rules and more rules that they could not keep! We SOOO needed the
    Grace and Mercy of forgiveness through our Lord Jesus Christ!!!

robertaleps
    Participant

Biblical Prophecy 1, Lesson 4
    About the “Proud & Lofty”
    Good will accomplish his purpose. This is my Father’s world. God ALWAYS wins! His word says We need to accept others as God accepts us. The weak accept the strong and the strong should accept,help and encourage the weak.

douglasleps
    Participant

The examples of reluctant and disobedient prophets really hit home with me and how I feel at times when I am called to take a stand. Just like Jeremiah and Jonah. Fear of rejection, ridicule or persecution for what we believe in is always an issue but if we listen to God wispering in our ears and speaking to our hearts the words will come.

robertaleps
    Participant

It seems to me that a good majority of America today practices Syncretism. Marching to the rhythm of each owns drum, adding to and taking away what “feels” right or wrong, accepting whatever as equal rights, accepting sin as “okay for the times”. If it was a sin when God’s Word, the Bible, was written it is still a sin today.

douglasleps
    Participant

It was relative in the Old Testament and still today….
    Habakkuk’s Oracle:
    How long O Lord will I call out and you will not hear, for the wicked surround the righteous and justice is perverted.
    We see it today… Innocent people affected by crime ridden neighborhoods, drug addicts, and criminals. When a nation suffers from immorality, even those who remain steadfast suffer the consequences.
    It was true then and now.

robertaleps
    Participant

I can relate to Jeremiah in that he continued to follow and be faithful even though it wasn’t the popular thing to do. It’s so refreshing to see The wonderful young people we have in our church doing this as well… And they are the COOL KIDS

douglasleps
    Participant

The proud will crumble as prophecy comes true.
    Jeremiah continued to follow and be faithful even when the majority did not and rebelled against him. God reassured him and gave him signs.
    I find this comforting today when I face opposition for my beliefs and God speaks to me and give me signs.
    A thought… Idolatry has many forms. Are the majority of present day Jews still practicing a form of idolatry simply by not believing that Jesus is the Messiah?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.