Home Forums Trinity Track Biblical Prophecy II

This topic contains 111 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  MeriLynn 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

stephenlawes
    Keymaster

After you have listened to the lectures for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lectures. (If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

Gary
    Participant

I find it interesting that, according to the professor, the Jews did not consider Daniel a prophet despite the fact that Daniel had prophetic visions himself and was tasked by God with interpreting the prophetic visions given to others.

stephenlawes
      Keymaster

I did a little research on why Daniel is not considered a prophet as the professor stated. Here are a few of the responses I found.

The standard answer, that of Rambam, is that the exact level of Daniel’s visions were always “Divine inspiration”, but never quite over the threshold of “prophecy”, though he must have been pretty close to the line. (The Malbim says, for instance, that Ezekiel only made it over that threshold occasionally.) Don’t ask me exactly what the “threshold” is. The alternative, suggested by Don Isaac Abarbanel, is that the books of “prophets” were those who were given prophecy to convey to the people at that moment, for some purpose. Daniel was an “armchair prophet” (to quote Leiman); while he had visions, he was never ordered to convey them. So he may have been a “seer”, but not a “speaker.”

I would bet that you are not aware of the reason Judaism does not consider Daniel to be a prophet nor are you aware of the fact that there is a Jewish midrash that implies that the book of Daniel gives the timing of the coming of Messiah. Judaism does not list Daniel as a prophet because he did not prophesy from Israel but from Babylon during the captivity. Ezekiel almost did not make the list but is listed with the prophets because he was transported to Jerusalem in his visions.

According to Judaism, Daniel is not one of the 55 prophets. His writings include visions of the future, which we believe to be true; however, his mission was not that of a prophet. His visions of the future were never intended to be proclaimed to the people; they were designed to be written down for future generations. Thus, they are Writings, not Prophecies, and are classified accordingly.

Quite an interesting topic for investigation.

Gary
    Participant

Reference tape 10B, time stamp 00:47, for the professor’s statement in this regard. Clearly Daniel is considered a prophet by many, especially in the New Testament. He is even listed as a major prophet in the Biblical Prophecy I lectures.

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

Wow I find this very interesting. I was curious about exactly what drew the line here between being a prophet and a visionary. I think it is interesting that different people have such different feelings and believes about this.

robertaleps
      Participant

Agreed… And as equally noted by Dr Turner and written in Daniel 9:23, Daniel 10:11, and Daniel 10:18, God says to Daniel ” You are highly esteemed”.

Gary
    Participant

The Scriptures indicate that salvation is achieved through grace alone and not as a result of deeds. Yet mankind, both non-believers AND believers, are judged by their deeds! Please explain the significance of deeds, especially in regards to believers.

My understanding is that the deeds of non-believers will be read out during the final judgement to demonstrate that their judgement is just. For believers, their deeds a) demonstrate that they are adhering to the teachings of the faith and b) may be used to determine their status in the Kingdom (e.g. those with outstanding deeds can be elevated to “leadership” positions). Please clarify.

jdoerfel
    Participant

The typology between Moses and Jesus was rally interesting. Especially when he referred to Matthew 17:5 being and Echo of Deuteronomy 18:15. And the similarities between Exodus 34:6 and John 1:17 was really cool. I never really spotted that there and it’s really cool how the Hebrew words for compassionate and gracious in Exodus mean the same thing as the Greek in John when he writes the truth and grace come through Jesus. The part when he said that Joshua fulfilled the prophetic ministry of Moses even the he wasn’t labelled as a prophet was neat too. I don’t really get how he did for the most part, but that’s just another thing to look into I guess

Georgina
    Participant

Lesson 1a (Haggai, Zechariah & Malachai) The Prophets of the Restoration
    I enjoyed listening to the lecture on Haggain the most. It was a reminder that we can too can be so concerned about our own welfare, that we neglect to build up God’s house – Since we are the temple of the Holy Spirit, this looks like neglecting to connect with and abide with/in Him because of the pursuit of my own pleasures and pain free living. “Neglecting” the Lord’s house to me looks like caring more about fulfilling my needs then fulfilling God’s calling in my life.
    I especially like how he ended this lesson: “The restoration was a demonstration of God’s faithfulness to his covenant- yet Israel was still guilty of idolatry and injustice and still needed to hear the prophetic message to obey Moses. The 2nd Temple stood but much impurity still existed; therefore the prophets still longed for a time when things would be as they should be.” It reminds me that God is faithful and that brings me immeasurable comfort; for I tool long for that glorious day when things will be as they should be…. COME LORD JESUS COME

Lesson 1b (Prophecy in the New Testament before and after Pentecost)
    I was shockingly surprised that the answer to the question “How Jesus describes himself?” was as a PROPHET. I think I was so stuck in the systematic theology that Jesus is the Son of God, God himself, fully God and fully man, that the thought that he was a prophet made every fiber in me call out APOSTASY! Silly me, I did settle myself down after being reminded about the Bible verses in which Jesus calls himself a prophet. Albeit he is no ordinary prophet but the “Ultimate prophet, the one whom all the other prophets bore witness to”.
    I was also surprised to hear all the verses that talk about Jesus as a human and prophet who needed to be endowed with the Holy Spirit. That according to Phil 2:7; Jesus emptied himself from all power to come down and die for us; and that any power he had came from His father, by way of the Holy spirit.” LOVE SO AMAZING!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I also had never noticed the Spirit working so much in Jesus life.

douglasleps
      Participant

Reply to Georgina biblical prophesy II lesson 1
      I too often feel as though I am neglecting the Lord’s temple. What I mean is that in my pursuit to prepare for future endevours, I work harder, longer, and sometimes work gets in the way. I neglect the really important things. God, not work or anything else should be our primary focus.

tomdoerfel
        Participant

Although God wants us to work. On occasion, being a blessing to someone can happen when we might be doing something as trivial as cleaning a bathroom…and that has happened to many of us I’m sure!!!

robertaleps
      Participant

My heart and soul felt and reacted the same way as how yours did Georgina about the answer to the question, what does Jesus refer to himself as… A Prophet. I also question how in the world the Jewish nation in general cannot believe that Jesus is the Messiah and believe that they probably get hung up on that very same scripture and question, yet we read more in context like you said, He, our Lord Jesus, is the ultimate Prophet, The Climatic Prophet, full of the Holy Spirit. The One and Only Pure, Holy, Truly Righteous and Sinless Sacrifice, the Spotless Lamb slain for forgiveness of our sins. Thank you Jesus!!

MeriLynn
      Participant

I, like so many here, was taken aback by Jesus referring to himself as a Prophet. I don’t think I had ever actually saw that in the Bible and I had also ascribed to the “fully God fully man” vision of our Lord. But how awesome is it that he is the “Ultimate Prophet”. I thought it interesting that Jesus said beware of false prophets but also that other prophets would come and be persecuted and crucified from city to city… Makes me wonder “when” and will WE recognize them!

rudyrudolph
      Participant

Georgina, I also had not really thought of our Lord Jesus as a prophet, but he clearly is. But the Jews of His time considered Him a prophet after such a long quiet period without any prophetic words. He was first considered a prophet and then the Messiah. How wonderful! Rudy

jdoerfel
    Participant

Biblical prophecy 2 lesson 1

Just looking at Jesus being Jesus is amazing enough, I never really stopped to look at who he said he was other than the Son of Man. Knowing now that He called himself a prophet opens up a whole new perspective on who He is. There’s so much to learn!

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 1 Biblical Prophecy II
    I was thinking about Haggai and his admonition to Judah concerning the building of the Temple of God. Haggai’s judgments weren’t on idolatry or social injustice, but apathy rebuilding God’s temple. I kind of relate that to how I sometimes respond to God’s concerns in my life. When I am going through a difficult time, I cry out to God and He always answers me and brings me peace. However, when everything is going smoothly, I seem to place God’s priorities on the backburner. I think it is a great lesson in Haggai to keep God’s priorities your priorities and watch the blessings pour out upon you. Zerubbabel found that through obedience comes the blessings of the signet ring bestowing upon him rule and authority as God’s representative, and also the promise of the Davidic covenant being fulfilled through the Messiah.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  bchiagouris.

douglasleps
      Participant

Reply to bchiagouris Biblical prophesy II lesson 1
      How true Barry. Even though we have so many examples of God’s amazing power, we still tend to be stubborn and try to fix things on our own instead of going to him first. The “backburner” is exactly right…wrong!
      Like you said Gods priorities need to become our priorities.

robertaleps
      Participant

Yes I so agree Barry, that the blessings we see when we are obedient are so rewarding to realize compared to the times we are not, like the withholding of the rain due to the inactivity of the rebuilding of the temple.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

I too like how the OT people’s mistakes are almost too hard to believe that they could be so stupid, then realizing how we make the same similar mistakes as we read and meditate on His Word

MeriLynn
      Participant

Well said, Barry! That is so true of my life as well… I, also, tend to get overtaken by “daily life”…even though I know that the more I seek God and keep His Covenant in my life, the happier I am and the more the Blessings flow.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 2
    I think understanding prophesy and future implications of prophesy is important. Nevertheless, I feel what the professor stated concerning the ethical implications is crucial for our survival as Christians. Dr. Turner’s conclusive statements about remaining
    alert, faithful, prepared, good stewardship and having compassion really rang true in my heart.

bendoerfel
      Participant

I like the way he ended it too because I always wanna be prepared and ready for when he comes back!

susanrohe
      Participant

I wish that Dr. Turner had given us some concrete examples of how we could live serving as a prophet to others. Perhaps this is expecting too much. Dr. Turner implies that prophecy is not taught but inspired.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The lessons from those parables, reduced to a single word, really shows us what we should be focusing on. I liked it put in such simple terms.

MeriLynn
      Participant

I rewound the whole tape to get those last words, Barry. I feel that is exactly how Jesus would have us live!

coopertlc123
      Participant

For me, the way to be prepared is to live a Godly life and obey God’s commandments. This we should do at all times, even if time wasn’t close.

nnewton
    Participant

I like in 2 A when the Professor was speaking about Joel 2:28.
    All man kind will have the spirit on them and we will see visions, prophesy and dream dreams!
    That makes me think a lot about my dreams, cause i usually forget about them or think they don’t mean anything. . But when i think of all of the dreams in the bible and this verse, maybe some of my dreams are a message from God!

Georgina
      Participant

Hi Nina, I also like Joel 2:28-32; I love the idea that we too can be prophets to people, no matter our gender, age or social status. It’s been my experience that when a dream is from God you will know it; for that dream confirms what you have already been sensing or perhaps people have been speaking to you about. It is exciting to look at dreams in a different way; in a way that God communicates with us.

bendoerfel
    Participant

I really like whenever he talks about Jesus talking about himself coming back. I can’t wait for that awesome day

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 3
    I was thinking about the salvation of the Israel nation and the comments from Professor Turner. I have been asked numerous times what my thoughts were concerning the Jewish Nation and their eternal destiny. My opinion is that they will all be saved according to God’s covenant, however I would be curious of your thoughts concerning salvation for the Jews. I recently listened to a lecture by Dr. Sam Nadler, a Jewish Rabbi who believes that all Israel will be saved. He explains his perspective from Romans 11:25-32

Romans 11:25-32 (NIV)

All Israel Will Be Saved

25″ I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in, and in this way all Israel will be saved. As it is written:“The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob. And this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins.” As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you. For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.” I’m reminded in James that God’s Mercy triumphs over judgment. What a merciful God we serve!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  bchiagouris.

coopertlc123
      Participant

This is an interesting study. I personally think this refers to those alive on the Day of the Lord. This is not a strong conviction but it seems to me that God does tell the Jews they can perish.

MeriLynn
      Participant

It also says there will be a “remnant of God’s chosen people”… So I wonder if that really means “all”. I love that there are “Jews for Jesus” and worry about those who have hardened their hearts.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 4
    Trying to understand symbolism throughout scripture has always been an arduous task for me. Since there are so many interpretations by a variety of scholars; I have come to my own conclusions. My conclusions are to fight the good fight, keep the faith and finish the race God has called me to. Understanding that God is in control and will reward His people and judge His enemies, brings me peace.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I agree. I have no desire to argue about interpretations. There are way more important things, like those you listed. :0)

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Dittos!

robertaleps
      Participant

Amen… it really is that simple, they complicated it then, and we complicate it today. Just keep it simple… believe in the Bible, in Jesus’ word, stay close to it and others that believe the same, pray, do the next right things and leave it to God. He is in Charge, not us. We just seek and do His will.

douglasleps
      Participant

Response to bchiagouris Biblical prophesy II lesson 4
      I agree with Barry that while some examples of symbolism are fairly easy to interpret, (red dress) (white wedding dress) many are far more difficult and therfore we should concentrate on the fact that God is in control and will reward his followers and save us from our enemies.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 1. I found it interesting that Rabbis thought prophecy had stopped-that the Holy Spirit of prophecy had been removed after Malachi-that they did not believe in an ongoing prophetic revelation-that they had all the information they needed to know, but believed in people who could predict the future in a “secondary way”.

To Georgina and jdoerfel: I was surprised also in Jesus describing himself as a prophet-but when he explained that he was the Ultimate Prophet, it made more sense to me too.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I found this interesting too. Four hundred years is a long time to have no prophets so I can imagine it was hard for the people to accept John and then Jesus as prophets.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 2: I try to remind myself of Matthew 25:40 “The King will reply ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me'”; whenever I feel myself starting to judge others, rather than trying to help them.

Nina- About Joel 2:28, I thought it was amazing that the gift of prophecy in the New Testament is built on a single prophecy in the Old Testament which is Joel 2:28.

Barry- I agree about Dr. Turner’s conclusive statements about how we should be living our life while waiting for Jesus to return is so important in being a good Christian, especially about being compassionate. It is hard sometimes to feel compassion for others when we have negative things happening in our own lives.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 1

I had no idea there were so many prophecies. The number is astounding. I especially liked the ones about Jesus: the donkey, Judas and the 30 shekels, mourning for the one they had pierced, and strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

MeriLynn
      Participant

Isaiah has long been one of my favorite books because of all the Prophesies that it contains about Jesus, Cheryl. When I go to look something up there, so many of those Chapters are highlighted or written next to! I am always amazed that as much as the Jewish people quoted from and read from the book of Isaiah, they still didn’t “see” Jesus coming!!

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 3. In the end of tape 9A, Dr. Turner asks the question “Does Paul’s prophetic view of the world give us reason to be optimistic?” His answer is that things will not necessarily be getting better and better and that we need to keep on keeping on so that the elect may obtain their salvation. The expression “the elect” sparked an interest for me to study more as to how “the elect” are chosen. I found that some believe there are 2 main views of how God chooses those to be saved: the foreknowledge view that says God knows who will be choose of their own free will to come to God, so God “elects those people” before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4). In this view, man has control through free will. The second view is the Augustinian view that says God divinely elects those who will have faith in Jesus, and divinely elects to grant to these individuals the faith to believe in Jesus. In this view, God has all the control. I found other scriptures concerning this (Ephesians 2:8, John 6:44, Romans 8:29-30). John MacArthur in his book “The Love of God” says we will never be able to answer that question. Does anyone have a particular view concerning this? Is this one of the questions we won’t get an answer to until we go before God?

Georgina
      Participant

Hi Pat, I too like the way the first part of Lesson 3 ended. The call to the “thirsty” to come and drink; to proclaim God’s forgiveness of sin so the elect might obtain their salvation.

I’m no scholar Pat, but I believe “elect” just mean chosen and i believe in 1 Peter 3:9 that says “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance”. He doesn’t want anyone to perish; I do believe that God is outside of time and he does know who of us will accept Him, who his chosen ones are; those that will accept Jesus as their Lord and savior.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Wow Patricia, you have certainly done some research on those questions and your enthusiasm is contagious.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 3. Concerning “the last days”, I like how Dr. Turner stated that we have been in the last days since Christ came. This is a clear answer for me to others when they start talking about events they are seeing on the news and are asking me if I these are signs that the last days are starting now.

Georgina
      Participant

Hi Pat, I too liked what he said about the last days having already arrived; but more specifically his warning against the Antichrist who will in “the last days” deny Jesus Christ. However, I felt comfort in the reminder that we have an anointing from God that will keep us from being deceived by false teachers.

Georgina
    Participant

Lesson 3 PAUL (1st part)
    I liked listening to how Paul saw his ministry as a “stewardship of God’s grace”. It’s a good reminder of the importance of His grace being displayed in my life for others. It also reminded me of how God will examine the works of believers and how I have done and will do as a steward of God’s grace.
    I also enjoyed hearing about the time of Christ’s return and how that will be a time when Jesus comes back with all those saints who have died and how we who are still alive when the trumpet sounds will be caught up in the air with our brother and sisters and how this will be the GREAT FAMILY REUNION.

LESSON 3 PROPHECY IN THE GENERAL EPISTLES
    I loved how the lecture started “Jesus is the fulfillment, climax and ultimate word to humanity” and how this is the way in which the general epistles relate to Jesus and the Old Testament prophets. Jesus is the end all. He is the last word.
    I so agree with the statement that “the return of Christ is a source of encouragement to suffering believers”. When I don’t understand the evil that surrounds us; when good people suffer; when I hurt… i dwell and get strength from the fact that Jesus is coming and will set all things right, that a place where righteousness dwells awaits me. So, the answer to the question “Does the fact that Christ’ is coming strike me?” It certainly does, it helps me when I’m down for I’m reminded that my hope needs to be fixed in Him and it motivates me to make every encounter with God’s “elect” count.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I was encouraged by the last part too.

MeriLynn
      Participant

I understood that Paul was using his prophetic voice to teach and clerify the Gospel, but I was, and continue to be, encouraged by the Epistles and their words of comfort, encouragement and hope!

nnewton
    Participant

Lesson 9A

I liked when the instructor went on about what a Mystery meant, a revealed truth just made known by additional revelation.
    That’s how Paul spoke of his teaching as a Mystery, something now made clear through more revelation.
    Paul’s teaching is right in line with the promises in the hebrew bible, it has just been clarified.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2

I like the part about stewardship, and investing our lives with the talents we’ve been given, in ways that bring glory and fruit to the Kingdom. When reading books about missionaries it always strikes me how their main concerns are about the Kingdom and others, not about where they live, or their stuff, things that bog me down. It helps me to keep things in perspective, what’s really important. It’s a good reminder where to focus my thoughts and energies.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Wow!!! I’m glad you are saying this and me not telling you to say that!!! 🙂

Cheryldoerfel
        Participant

Ha ha! You better watch it! Who knows what I will want next!

MeriLynn
      Participant

Well said, Cheryl…

bendoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4. Liked how he talked about the different world views people had and how it affected prophecy back then. I’m glad we have to bible as the truth to backup everything we believe in.

douglasleps
      Participant

Response to bendoerful biblical prophecy II lesson 4.
      I agree with Ben, we are lucky to have a “set of instructions” the Bible to help guide us when the world views get in our way or cloud our judgement.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 4. I can relate to Dr. Turner telling us about our need to acknowledge the distance between or difference between the ancient pessimistic world view and the modern optimistic world view because many of us do not have to worry about food, clothing and shelter as they did when the book of Daniel was written, so it is sometimes hard for us to realize that difficult days are ahead of us, or to appreciate how great it will be when God returns.

Barry-I agree about the symbolism-hard to even decide which interpretation I would agree with.

Ben-I am glad that we have the Bible to backup our beliefs too, because of all the different views in the world today that we come in contact with.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 3

I liked the part about getting reconciled to fellow believers. We are all one in Christ. It makes me think about churches and how they are each in their own little world. It’s cool working together.

Also, that things won’t get better here on the earth, all the bad news will keep on coming, but God’s Word will not return to him void.

Keep on keeping on for the sake of the elect.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 5. After studying about the 4 major views of Revelation, the interpretations and symbols, I like and appreciate that Dr. Turner stresses that even if we don’t understand all the interpretations and the symbolism, that is ok because the main thing to remember is that Jesus will be returning.

robertaleps
      Participant

Amen. Bottom line… Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done. Belief in Jesus, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob,is all it takes to receive the promises of the Bible. It is interesting, and I do get the comparisons, symbols and parables. Thank God there’s no written test though. Just the test of the heart that God knows inside and out. We can’t hide what’s in our hearts. I love the Lord and believe His words. It’s amazing the Grace of God. Grace means an undeserved gift. That’s what we receive!

coopertlc123
      Participant

I am thankful we are not required to fully understand that.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Bible prophesy 2 lesson 1

The post exilick prophets probably had the same frustrated feelings of today’s pastors. People committing to church(rebuilding the temple) yet not completely following through with the obvious teachings. Improper sacrifices and injustice during OT times seems no different than people who go to church today and give our contemporary church a bad reputation due to unethical and immoral choices that make news headlines.

JDoyle
      Participant

Totally agree. It’s sad how some people are so hypocritical, claiming to be a Christian but then turning around and doing something completely and totally against Him. It ruins people for Christ.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Bible prophesy 2 lesson 1(b)

The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophesy…a very cool thought that I never really chewed on. In other words, we let His light/spirit shine in our every day life, and people are drawn to Him and all we need to be is ready with either our testimony or the word He puts into our holy imagination that is all about glorifying God…custom tailored of course!

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4

I liked the part comparing Daniel’s worldview to our culture’s worldview. The imagery is from Daniel’s world and it is foreign to us. Daniel was a stranger in a foreign land, a pilgrim, and we, in our prosperous culture, don’t relate to a pilgrim mentality. Also, Daniel looked to the future as a great reward. Our culture wants what they want now. They (we) don’t want to wait for anything in the future. We need our lives to line up more with Daniel’s life.

God is in control. Learn from Daniel’s example of a Godly life. Learn from Daniel’s faith. Be a Godly example. Wait, and persevere.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 1

I liked learning that Haggai, Zachariah and Malachi were the Prophets of the Restoration. It reminded me that God had, indeed , scattered His people for their disobedience but that He is faithful and was, once again, trying to restore them to the “promise of the Covenant”. In Haggai, the people listened and began to restore Temple but isn’t it interesting that as time went on, Zachariah had to admonish them again and remind them that they were falling back into the ways of their fathers. In his Visions he also speaks of New Testament Phophasy in that the Gentiles (many nations) would be brought into “God’s people”. Malachi “the messenger” would remind them again that they were sinking into social injustice and idolatry and that their Priests were corrupt. I’m always amazed at how Israel just could NOT adhere to God’s plan… And yet, it speaks SO clearly for our need for a Savior!!

The New Testament Prophesy is so familiar to me. I love the story of John leaping in Elizabeth’s womb upon meeting Mary who was carrying Jesus. And Zachariah’s son becomes John the Baptist, paving the way for our Messiah, Jesus. I was a bit taken back to hear Jesus describe himself as a Prophet as I don’t remember seeing that before but settled in with the description of him as the “Ultimate Prophet”. There was so MUCH bouncing back and forth from OT Prophesy to NT Scripture that supported it, that I could barely keep up! I love seeing it laid out so plainly… And again, am amazed that God’s Chosen People can not see it. Especially as they are “waiting for Elijah” and yet Jesus likens John the Baptist to Elijah. I also had heard Jesus speak of “false prophets” but never read or heard the part about Jesus saying that there will be Phrophets to come that will be “persecuted and crucified” from city to city. Makes me wonder “when” and will WE recognize them!

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 6. I liked how Dr. Turner showed the similarities between Genesis and Revelation. Also, how the Bible starts with it’s theme in Genesis, continues with the same theme throughout the Bible and ends with the same theme in Revelation.

I found it interesting concerning Dr. Turner’s discussion of 4 possible answers as to why a millennium is needed. Really makes you think!

coopertlc123
      Participant

I never realized those similarities until this course. I have read the Bible several times but by the time I get to the end, I have forgotten a lot of what happened or was said in the beginning.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Bible prophesy 3

Part a describes Paul’s prophetic ministry and encourages us to go out and do likewise both personally and corporately.

Part b spoke about more prophetic statements in the epistles and dealt with false prophets while also encouraging us to be ready to spread the gospel…Dr Turner is unfortunately getting a little boring to me. 🙁

MeriLynn
      Participant

I found that I almost couldn’t keep up because he speaks so quickly and uses lots of words all strung together so that I have to go back and listen again to get the jest of it all…

JDoyle
    Participant

Lesson 2A

I never realized how much Pentecost had to do with prophesy. It’s neat to see how it all ties together.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4

Since Daniels prophetic ministry was so mind boggling accurate, his apocalyptic prophetic ministry is as mind boggling profound. Studies from all the symbolism to the detailed dating system makes science fiction seem elementary in trying grab hold of Daniels perspective.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5a

After taking us all over the map, Dr Turner makes a heartwarming final statement of simple faith. I do, however, appreciate the in depth study, logic, and reasoning of taking the time to weigh different approaches to the understanding of prophesy…particularly this Revelation apocalyptic prophesy. In light of the structure and all that symbolism, coming up with the idea that angels could be responsible to God for our different local churches is quite intriguing…like pastor Billy’s story of the angel many people claimed to see at one of their churches…unless I missed something here…

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5

It would be interesting to learn more about the symbolism in Revelation.

robertaleps
      Participant

It is very interesting. Just until recently I did not want to know or study the book of Revelation. After Pastor Steve covered it in our Wednesday night studies I became very comfortable with it and this study also makes clear that we, as Christians don’t have to worry about it. We Just persevere in our Faith until that glorious day.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 6

When Dr. Turner starts talking about dispensationalists verses covenant believers’ (?) perspectives, I’m ok with people who want to throw in their two cents. My question is, does it really matter, since he’s proposing we should know our stance.
    ?Do I really need to have a stance on it?

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Those big words don’t stick with me. My brain turns off when it hears them. Maybe I need to study more.

robertaleps
      Participant

I’ve noticed Dr Turners last stance in his last couple lectures have been The Prayer of John…. “Even So Come Lord Jesus”. So for me, my ultimate stance is believing in the redemptive blood of Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. Period.

JDoyle
    Participant

Lesson 3
    He’s coming in September. He’s coming in June. He’s coming on August 23, 2022. People keep saying He’s coming at this time, in this era, on this Monday. We need to stop doing that. Even though it’s so hard not to sift through every little detail, looking for something that will tell exactly when He will be here. Especially in our world of instant gratification, people have yearned for answers to everything. Still, we have to remember that only God knows when He’s coming, and it’s not our job to find out when. God is gonna come when He’s gonna come. That’s HIS job. OUR job is to bring people to Him and prepare so that when He does come, everyone will be ready.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I could never understand people trying to figure out when He is coming because the Bible plainly states that no one knows the day or the hour. :0)

rudyrudolph
      Participant

That was such a great post. Thanks for the insight. Yes, too many times we get caught up in trying to figure out when the end will come, and that is not for us to know. So let’s spend our precious little time preparing ourselves and others for that eventual day. Praise God. Come soon Lord Jesus.

robertaleps
    Participant

Biblical prophecy 2, lesson 5
    It is good to know that we that believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob are the heiress, receivers of Gods promises from Genesis to Revelations… It takes no special bloodline, color, or good works, just the same faith as Abraham.

douglasleps
      Participant

Response to robertleps biblical prophecy II lesson 5
      Funny how we both touched on the same topic!
      I agree that its not who you are, where you come from, what color you are, but faith in God that guarantee the promises of God to Abraham.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 6

I like the part about the new earth being a re-creation being a return to the way things were before the fall and the curse. It’s almost like, “Wouldn’t it be be great if…?” I can’t wait to experience it!

douglasleps
      Participant

Response to cheryldoerful biblical prophesy II lesson 6:
      Cheryl, I agree. I can’t wait till the recreation. A restoration to the way things were before the fall….only better.
      Kind of like a re make of an old classic movie… Only in high def, blue ray, surround sound.

robertaleps
      Participant

Me too! Me too! I love nature, all Gods glorious creations! As Dr Turner’s near final words in this lesson, it will be the 4th reason for the Millennium to install the 2nd Adam as King! Wooo hoooo! I’m excited!!!

coopertlc123
      Participant

It is hard to imagine such a thing. I can hardly wait to be in a world without sin and filled with the Glory of God.

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 1, Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.. Matthew 16:14 and 21:11 revealed that the prevailing view people held of Jesus was that he was a Prophet. Jesus from Nazareth endowed with the Spirit..

Lesson 2, Revelation 19:10 At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

Lesson 3, 1 John 2:18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming,even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. 26 I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray.

Lesson 4, 10:12 Then he continued, “Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them.

Lesson 5, Revelation 4:1 The Throne in Heaven, After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”

Lesson 6, Jesus is Coming. Revelation 22:7 “Behold I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book.” 12″ Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 1 I have always understood the 400 years of silence as God being so fed up that he decided not to do anything else until Jesus came onto the scene. I am sure he still spoke to people but I think more in line with personal issues as to global ones.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 4 The dead shall rise and meet Jesus in the air and receive transformed bodies. many ministers preach that when we die we go straight to heaven. I do not think so but many do. It seems to me that the whole resurrection would be unnecessary if we are all ready in heaven.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2 Jesus was a prophet, among other things. He also was a man, God in the flesh,and is the Son of God. And let’s not forget, he is our redeemer.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 5 The new haven and the new earth have always puzzled me. I can understand a new earth more than a new heaven.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6 If after the thousand year reign, Satan is loosed for a little while and a lot of people follow him again; I wonder if those who were at one time believers will be sent to hell.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 2

I just realized that I never wrote my opinion after listening to the tape so VERY long ago! I am so far behind here that I will try to do a little from my notes!
    At Pentecost there was an infilling of the Holy Spirit and a Harvest of 3000 souls. The church begins to function in Jerusalem. In Acts 10 and 11, Cornelius and his household received the Holy Spirit and so began God’s granting of the Spirit to the Gentiles. Peter and Paul are referred to as Prophets of the New Testament. They spoke in a spontaneous manner. In Paul’s day, there were false prophets. Prophesy was viewed an important gift second to Apostleship. Jesus spoke as a true prophet and with authority…especially in the Olivet Discourse. The early disciples knew he was who Moses and the prophets had spoken of.
    Jesus told us enough about the future to approach it with alertness, faithfulness, preparedness, stewardship and compassion. It was never given to us as a technical blueprint of the future!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 3

I always enjoy reading Paul’s letters. What a scholar he was and how well he tied the Old Testament into his prophetic writings! His letters were to warn the early church about false teachers and to keep them on tract with the Christology that he was proclaiming. With a new and different way through Grace, I’m sure the people could have been easily swayed to either go back to their Jewish customs based on the Law they knew so well or be lead into a softer, freer version of Christianity, which was just as bad!
    The Epistles are sweeter letters of hope and comfort and encouragement as the churches were facing persecution. I love 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. What wonderful encouragement for us all to be able to look forward to meeting together “in the air” with our Lord at his return! I agree with Professor Turner that God coming to Earth to make it new is a better prospect than us all going to Heaven and Him washing His hands of the Earth!
    So, we must not dwell on the day or the hour but use our time with our eyes fixed on Jesus and be about purifying ourselves as he is pure… The thief will come in the night and we need to be ready!

douglasleps
    Participant

I never thought about it until now, that the prophets of restoration were not only involved in the rebuilding of Israel’s temple, but in the restoration of man. Haggai was responsible for confronting the people, and the people responded with obedience and got busy rebuilding the temple.
    Zechariah reminded the people of past judgments and warned them not to be like their fathers.
    People don’t live forever, but God’s words live on.

robertaleps
    Participant

In Biblical Prophecy II, Lesson 7,I found it very interesting to learn that there were 400 “Silent Years” between the Last Prophet of Restoration Malachi and the first book of the New Testament Matthew because I often think of how long we are waiting for the 2nd coming of Jesus. But since I now understand due to all of these extensive studies that we are actually in the Harvest period, I realize how crucial it is to have a magnificently huge harvest of souls before the next “Feast” takes place.

robertaleps
    Participant

In Biblical Prophecy II, Lesson 2(8B) it was like a light bulb went off in my brain when Dr. Turner said “we are in the beginning or in the midst of the End Times, that all the prophecies are happening or being fulfilled somewhere every day, and that the persecution of Christians are becoming more abundant. All these are preliminary signs. We will see this all take place”. Well… maybe technology is allowing this, and that’s how in fact, we are able to see it all take place, some where, some how, everyday, the news, internet, communications are more advanced than ever and we are, in all actuality, able to see it all take place, right now, today, in these end times. The time is near, be prepared, says Gods Word

RBosic
    Participant

I am in total agreement with you as I have noted from Lesson 6, Jesus is Coming. Revelation 22:7 “Behold I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book.” 12″ Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.
    I feel very blessed that I am taking this challenge at a time in my life that appears to be exactly the right time for me, however I must confess that it wouldn’t have hurt if I had even started earlier. Amen

douglasleps
    Participant

Being spiritually awake.
    It can be found in I Thessalonians 5:1 For you know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a their in the night.
    Matthew 24:36 But about the day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
    Paul spells it out very clearly:
    1(No one knows when the Lord will return
    2)His return will be a surprise even to the faithful
    3)Unbelievers will feel secure in THEIR safety
    4)When he does return it will be universal. Even the doubters and unbelievers will know of it.
    So be prepared, be faithful at all times.
    Don’t over or underestimate how long it will take for the 2nd coming our Lord.

susanrohe
    Participant

That is a good summary of the lecture. It is hard not to wonder when the Day of Judgment will come yet I believe that scripture is warning us not to fall into the trap of focusing solely on this future event.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

I like being reminded to be prepared. I often get sidetracked with the cares of each day.

MeriLynn
    Participant

I agree, Doug… That’s a beautiful summary. We are to “be about our Father’s business” as we remain alert.

susanrohe
    Participant

I liked how Dr. Turner reminded us that Jesus was both divine and yet human. That is an incredible. It makes me feel so much closer to Jesus to know how he came to earth and went through human suffering,testing by Satan, rejection and ultimately death. It makes me grateful every day to know that my sins are forgiven due to Jesus’s time on earth, cruxifiction and resurrection.

JDoyle
    Participant

Amen.

robertaleps
    Participant

It is comforting and brings me great peace to know that this world is not my home, that I am just passing through, on a mission from and with God. I rest in knowing that God is in charge, he will bring justice to His enemies who are my enemies as well, and in the end God and Good win, and will reign forever more.

douglasleps
    Participant

I found the use of dualism very interesting. Evil, the serpent rears its head in both Genesis and again in Revelations.
    The dualism of good and evil. The evil of the present fallen world and the good of the future. God above and fallen word below. The beginning and the end. Fortunately for us Christians good and evil are not ultimately equal and evil will be done away with.

douglasleps
    Participant

The Israelites were under the assumption that the “promises” of God that were given to Abraham were universal for all just because they were descendants.
    It’s much like that today, that sense of entitlement held by many. They feel like if they just “show up” on Sunday and “put in” their hour at Church they are guaranteed a spot in heaven. You gotta walk the walk and talk the talk. Those who through faith obeyed God.

douglasleps
    Participant

I never realized that the first chapters of Genesis and the last chapters of Revelations are so similar. Dr Turner refers to them as “bookends”.
    The beginning of the end and the end of the beginning!
    Wow. Powerful stuff.
    I also liked the comparison between the Old and New covenants. I think many believed that the laws would no longer be important because of Jesus sacrifice for us. But in reality the laws of Moses still exist but are now internal in the form of the Holy Spirit.

robertaleps
    Participant

It may not have been the main topic of this lesson but it has been mentioned a lot in Revelations and in Genesis as to the symbol of satan and evil being a snake and/or dragon. I personally still believe them to be the symbols today in our society, along with darkness. One of the last things Doctor Turner says is there will be no more night, we believers will be living in the Light. His Light!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.