Home Forums IBCD Track Care and Discipleship I

This topic contains 24 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bchiagouris 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

stephenlawes
    Keymaster

After you have listened to the lectures for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lectures. (Please include the Lesson or Chapter number at the beginning of your comment. If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  stephenlawes.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson One:

I thought that the Lecturer was fair and balanced in his assessment of Human Psychology versus Biblical counseling. How the world has evolved into a society of relativism and no moral absolutes without God; has produced a world of people filled with depression and self abasement. I especially liked his story about the retired man who fell into a deep state of depression and alcoholism due to a life of selfishness. Real life is found in serving others and cultivating our relationship with our Creator. Once the retiree began his journey with God, he was able to recover completely without therapy and psychotropic drugs. It is a great reminder for me how I need Jesus everyday!

Amy Lennox
      Participant

Lesson one-
      I agree with your anayalsis on the lecture i have just listened to. The balance between people who need help medically and people who are just dealing with spiritual issues is well put across.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson Two:

It was interesting to note that Christian Psychologists tend to lean toward their secular training first and that mixing secular psychology with biblical counseling can be counterproductive. However, I believe there certainly is a balance that can be found by the Christian Psychologist who is lead by the Holy Spirit in his assessment of troubled clients.

Amy Lennox
      Participant

Lesson 2

I agree with the fact that Biblical counselling just sprinkled through psychology can be counterproductive and unhelpful to a client, however i would also say that there can be a balance held. I myself have a good friend who is a psychologist and I don’t think falls into any of these categories.

bchiagouris
        Participant

Lesson 2

This is actually my third round listening to Lecture 2. I’m really taking it slow and trying to grasp the significance of these lectures. I truly believe Jim misses a few vital truths in his assessment of self esteem. It’s true we all fall short of the glory of God, but we are unique in the fact that of all creation we are made in the image of our Creator. We are loved, accepted, forgiven, capable and valuable in His sight. There are many people who have no self worth, because of what others have spoken to them throughout their lives. People need to know how valuable they are to our Savior. The Psalmist says that we are wonderfully and fearfully made in the image of God and that speaks volumes about who we are. It is all about Jesus, but it’s some about us too! btw:like your comments!

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 3:

I liked how the teacher explained the sufficiency of God’s Word in this lesson using 2nd Timothy 3:16 as a source for his lecture. He also pointed out that Psychology may change the behavior of a client, but Biblical Counseling through the power of the Holy Spirit transforms the very heart of man. That in itself is a huge difference.

Amy Lennox
      Participant

Lesson 3:

I agreed with the fact that unbelievers cannot be counselled unless they have had a heart transformation. Psychology has its uses but it is the Holy Spirit and infallible word of God that makes the real difference.

Amy Lennox
      Participant

Lesson 3:

I appreciated the 10 key concepts of Biblical counselling and have learnt a lot about using the Scriptures throughout the counselling process.
      I feel I am aware of the difference between psychology and Biblical counselling and can see that Biblical counselling makes the real difference, however, psychology has its uses as it applies to the symptoms and concepts that people present with.

Amy Lennox
    Participant

Lesson one-

I agreed with the lecturer on many of his issues. As a nurse who has studied psychology many issues and claims made by psychologists are untrue and unfounded in the Bible. It is a good reminder that not everything a “trained medic” has to offer us is true. So many times we need the bible and the words of Jesus to deal with the root issues and the symptoms themselves will disappear and be healed.

Amy Lennox
    Participant

Lesson 2-
    I do agree to a certain extent that some people may use psychology in an unhelpful way for people, especially if the Bible is used in the wrong way throughout it. I also agree straggly with the fact that we need to understand terms and logic in order to help people and see where they are coming from, however, i have seen psychologists use their training alongside the Holy Spirit and have seen many people successfully helped and healed through this technique.

Amy Lennox
    Participant

Lesson 3

I appreciated the 10 key concepts on what Biblical counselling is and felt it was a thorough insight into the differences between psychology and biblical counselling. The infallible word of God is true every time and can transform even the unbelievers heart once they turn to Him in faith.

Amy Lennox
    Participant

Lesson 4-

I really enjoyed this one. It gave practical tips and very helpful principles as to how to go about biblical counselling. It is awesome to think someone like me could help someone else because of these awesome tips. I really enjoyed learning the PREACH method and find it a very helpful tool that I will use in the future.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 1

I took a break for awhile after completing 7 lectures. I decided to get started again by beginning with Lesson 1 with a greater listening ear. I found the idea that there are over 250 theories for resolving man’s issues to be very descriptive of how man deals with life. What I mean is we complicate our lives to often trying to resolve issues on our own rather than depending on our God. As complex and mysterious as our Creator is, He mapped out a simple guide for man to live by found in His inerrant Word. God knows our mind and hearts and has provided all our needs according to His riches in glory. All we have to do is simply abide in His daily instructions for living when we run into obstacles to find peace and resolution.

Amy Lennox
    Participant

Lesson 5-

I love the practical tips that he gives for use in a counselling session such as the PDI and the counselling outline ideas. I totally agree that people should always be pointed to the Cross and the bible answers in every situation that they face and bring to us for help! I am going to begin to make up my own counselling outlines so I can begin to use it in my practical life. Sin and repentance must be brought up and dealt with at all times to ensure that you give each person the best counselling possible.

Amy Lennox
    Participant

Lesson 6-

These 3 lectures have been really beneficial in understanding the way to go about counselling sessions. It is really important to be under the local church and add to the local church as a biblical counselling groups. I really appreciated the explanation that went along with this and to understand how to implement homework for the counsellee in order to ensure that they gain the maximum benefit for the person.

Amy Lennox
    Participant

Lesson 7

I really enjoyed learning about the imperative and indicative and how it relates to counselling. We are free because of what Christ has done and are now dead, currently, to sin. Therefore we are to live as those in the light and not as those who continue to live a life of sin. We are to remember this new status and that helps us fight against sin. It was very helpful and i continue to understand more and more about how to biblically counsel someone.

Amy Lennox
    Participant

Lesson 8

It is vital to ensure people understand about sanctification but it is also important that they understand that they have a responsibility to act on what the Gospel says and obey Gods commands. When we understand how we are loved we can then show love and help other people change. We are to help counsels understand the gospel and so lead to a life transforming change in their lives.

Amy Lennox
    Participant

Leeson 10

I have skipped lesson 9 until I get a query resolved. I found lesson 10 very helpful and especially thought the conflict slippery slope diagram was very helpful to gain insight into biblical and unbiblical ways of peacemaking. I shall use this going into further ministry

bchiagouris
    Participant

lesson 4

Great topic on Involvement and the caveats set fourth by the lecturer. Men should indeed counsel men and when counselling women should always have another present. I think that is sound wisdom, which I have incorporated in my life when counselling a female employee or even praying with someone of the opposite sex. I try to always call a lady friend to pray along with me to have a presence, so as to keep matters from possibly getting out of hand.

bchiagouris
    Participant

lesson 5
    I really enjoyed lesson 5 in the interactive process of Instruction. Having your counselee interpret a scripture and applying it to his situation is a great way to breakthrough the hardness of the heart. I have a friend who is a clinical psychologist and a great bible teacher. He always keeps me on my toes by asking me to interpret what a bible passage means; or just in general how I feel about a certain circumstance I’m going through. He can then evaluate if my thinking is lining up with the word of God or perhaps a little skewed. Great lecture! btw: I like what Jim said about the importance of knowing God’s Word, because in essence that’s what a biblical counselor does is teach the bible.

bchiagouris
    Participant

lesson 6
    I felt the methodology or the use of Involvement, investigation, interpretation, instruction, intention, implementation and integration were a great foundation to the lay counselor as he or she participates in counseling God’s people. I especially liked what the lecturer had to say about how between sessions is where real progress begins. Also implementing a plan to prepare when temptation strikes is vital. I remember an acronym that Dr. Charles Stanley taught in one of our men’s group sessions concerning temptation: He used the word HALT. Whenever your Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired be aware that the Tempter will be on the prowl. That’s when to put the armor of God on and pray for God’s strength and courage as you face your weakness.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 7

I loved this Lesson, because this is the heart of the Gospel. Understanding our identity in Christ releases us from our past labels and patterns in life and develops real change. It is where we become whole as we live this life out for Christ through sanctification. Also the explanation of the indicative and the imperative was well explained in applying God’s truth to our lives. Paul’s use of the imperative was well put in Romans 6:1 ” remember who you are”. Again, for the believer, it is a critical reminder as the lecturer states to Preach to yourself and remember that it is the indicative principle that sets you free from your mess and brokenness. It’s all about what Jesus has done for us!

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 8
    These lectures get better and better. I liked the analogies that Jim brought fourth in determining our efforts and accountability into bringing healing to the counselee and also to ourselves. The counselee has to make an effort to respond and obey the Word of God in order to receive healing and improve his or her life. Just as Peter was commanded by Jesus to get out of the boat and come to Jesus, our counselees must do the same with their eyes on Jesus. In order to make genuine changes in our lives we must fix our eyes on the author and finisher of our faith as writer in Hebrews 12:2. Its when we get our eyes off Jesus that we drown and get into trouble. It was a great lecture that confirms our part in the healing process as we look to Jesus.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  bchiagouris.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.