Home Forums ODBCU Track CC201: SoulCare Foundations I: The Basic Model

This topic contains 44 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff McGregor 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

garyslavin
    Keymaster

After you have listened to the lectures for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lectures. (If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1 Most people spend their entire lives without their inner self ever being known, is a frighteningly sad statement. I do believe that is true because people hide who they really are. It was once said and I am not sure who originated the statement, some philosopher I think, (paraphrased) We are all actually three people (1) who we think we are and project, (2) who other people see us as and think we are, (3) who we really are deep inside. It is my belief that most people don’t even know who they really are deep inside and are unable to let that part of them be known, even to themselves..

coopertlc123
    Participant

Edit | Reply

coopertlc123

Participant

Lesson 2 Soul care is not looking to fix or resolve the outward manifestation rather it is to help heal the soul. The two primary goals are to arouse an appetite for God and to help develop an appetite for God that surpasses all other appetites. The main stumbling block is having your vision set too low

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 3 I get the part of fixing or realizing your own problems, face them, before you can be effective at helping someone else deal with their problems. Once you se that you are inadequate you will then allow the Holy Spirit to work through you in a supernatural way.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 4 It is not what you say; it is why you said it. Look into your own heart and try to understand what emotions or thing or memory caused you to respond the way you did.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 5 We must question our motives for speaking. Are we speaking to show how much we know, or speaking to gain influence, or speaking for other self centered purposes. The route to effective soul care is brokenness. We also must have a passion for God that surpasses all other things we desire. If we lose one of the things we desire, we still have joy because God is our greatest passion and reason for living. All else pales in comparison.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6 we are all self centered and the understanding of that truth is found in theological truths. We were created in God’s image and God is a relational God as found in the perfect relationship of the trinity. This means that we have the capacity and need to love and to be loved. So, when we are in a situation where we do not feel like we are receiving love, we become aware of our desperate longing to receive love. This causes us to react in self centered ways in that we then do things to try to capture the feeling of love.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 7 When we attempt to provide soul care we need to be careful not to trivialize the person by offering advice or support too soon. We need to validate them by asking questions, which is developing curiosity, and having a vision as to how that person would be if their passion for God was greater than anything in their lives.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 8 Having a passion for God which is greater than anything else in our lives is a profound quest. You can draw a line from that passion straight to Paul as he explains his joy even in suffering. If your passion for God is greater than all else in your life then as you lose something or someone, you will not lose your joy because truly your joy is in the Lord.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 9 This approach is completely different than regular therapy. We need to have a vision and see the person as what they should be in their soul, then we should listen, show curiosity by asking real questions from this curiosity, and when you find their moment of confusion you can begin to help them work on their soul.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 10 this has been a different approach which I find interesting. I really enjoyed the revelation that having a passion for God above all other passions is the key to sustainable joy in your life no matter what trials and tribulations you encounter.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 1:
    SoulCare is based upon the belief that what people who are dealing with pain, suffering, and challenges need in the world is a method that can lead them towards a cleansing of their soul rather than just attempts to address and fix what would normally be considered the cause of their problem.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 2:
    SoulCare is not a technique which has a standard list of steps that are to be performed. It is not a technique to master.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 3:
    I especially like the analogy of an iceberg used to describe how people present themselves to society where only a small amount is presented and a large amount remains hidden.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 4:
    SoulCare requires that the counselor is “inadequate”.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 5:
    SoulCare requires that even the counselor must be broken in order for the counselor to provide proper SoulCare.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 6:
    SoulCare focuses on the “inner life” of the individual where true spiritual formation takes place, where we can become what we were intended to be by God.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 7:
    Everyone bears God’s image and they are people who have fallen.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 8:
    SoulCare is a battle for someone’s soul.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 9:
    SoulCare requires passion and wisdom.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 10:
    SoulCare is not a technique that can be taught and learned. Rather it is a procedure that you master, “it is a relationship that you offer.”

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Lesson 1, I found the picture of the chairs at the retirement home very interesting, how often are we like that, that we are so isolated from each other that there is no real fellowship taking place, so scare to show who we are. Lets be the opposite to that lets find those who want to explore us and in turn start to explore those within our sphere of care.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to coopertlc123 on lesson 1. That statement about being three people, so true, I have heard that as well but not sure who said it. The question that comes from that is lets explore who we really are and let others see that, if our core is Jesus, then let us show that Jesus is where our identity is found.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to Gary lesson 1. We need to find the root cause of their issue rather than a band aid approach, this means being willing to be vulnerable ourselves so that they can start to trust us with who they are.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Great 2nd lesson, the 2 goals of soul care I found very interesting and helpful, step one, arose an appetite for God and the second to provoke a consuming experience of God, wow, to be able to see that happened and let God do the work of restoration, its not us, we are not in the job of ‘fixing’ people but let God restore the person and we get to be there to guide them and know them along the way.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to coopertlc1234, like your comment but I disagree with the comment that we help heal the soul, we are used in the process but God is sovereign and He heals the soul, He doesn’t need our help, but uses us as a vehicle to deliver the appetite and consuming experience

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to Gary, true, its not a formula that we follow with the right things to say or do, I think it has a lot to do with our relationship with God and with the person, to get them excited about God, and this will happen if we model that we are also excited about God

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Lesson 3, the two main principles of soul care a very powerful. 1 a relationship that you offer as a safe person rather than a technique that you learn or master, 2 soul care in primarily not about fixing problems but rather entering into someone’s interior world with the power to stir someone’s appetite for God. But we must first look inside our own interior world. Great stuff

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to Gary on lesson 3, I too liked the iceberg analogy, we only show what’s above the waterline, its very rare that we let people see what is underneath.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to coopertlc123 on lesson 3. You are so right, face our own stuff, knowing that our victory is in Christ, then we start to allow the Holy Spirit to work through us to bring healing to us and to enter into others interior worlds to develop that hunger for God within them.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Lesson 4 was quite confronting in the fact that you know what I am inadequate, and realizing that means that the Holy Spirit is then able to work through me, I am not an expert, I don’t think anyone is. I like the quote that says inadequacy is not something that gets in the way, rather something that provides an opportunity for the Spirit to flow

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to coopertlc123 on lesson 4. Its not what we say but why we say it. So true what was our intention? are we trying to just touch the surface because we feel inadequate? Its something we need to explore if we are to provide soul care

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to Gary on lesson 4 if we realize that we are inadequate then we let the Holy Spirit work through us, it really is that simple but also very hard!!!

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Lesson 5, am I self centered when I am trying to help people, Do I see that my brokenness is a way that I can engage with true love to care for that person. its a great point.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to Gary lesson 5. while it is true that we as the counsellor must be broken, its not that we must be broken but rather acknowledge that we are broken But because of Christ in us we are whole, As the word says in OUR weakness He is strength, its our weakness rather than our brokenness, that’s my thought anyway.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to coopertlc123 lesson 5. I agree with your statement. Its is our passion for God and to see Him glorified and to stir up that appetite for others to know Him that should be our goal.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Lesson 6. I am a fallen image bearer of God, what does that mean? It means I have self needs and I will self mange those needs if I don’t have an appetite for God, my appetite for God needs to fulfill those needs that lie beneath the water line, I cannot demand them, but my hunger must draw me to Him.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to coopertlc123 lesson 6. I agree with you comment, if we don’t understand those two fundamental theological truths then we cannot move into a place of being relational as we will always work out of our own needs and desires.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Response to Gary lesson 6, So true, I cant really add to what you have said as it says it all so succinctly.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Soul care lesson 7. We need to be curious but not intrusive, curious about what is happening in the interior world of the person, the real things, and start to whet their appetite for Christ, give them a vision and in that they walk away wanting to worship our God than they did before hand

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to lesson 7 by coopertlc123, totally agree with your comment, you basically summed up the lesson

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to lesson 7 Gary. That’s true we create in His image and we are fallen, but let us help to bring restoration of that image, we cannot fix it but through us our Lord does

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Lesson 8, the three don’ts and the three dos I found very helpful, as Larry points out we cannot use the moral and or the therapeutic model if we are going to engage in real soul care. Asking questions is the best way in engage into their interior space.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

response to Coopertlc123 on lesson 8. Our Joy is from the Lord, when we share our joy it becomes infectious and the other person starts to hunger more for God

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Response to Gary on lesson 8. Soul care is the battle for someone’s soul, true but we must NOT back away when we see the ugly stuff in their interior world, for there is beauty also within

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.