Home Forums BLBi Track God’s Sufficiency for Godly Living

This topic contains 79 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  tomdoerfel 9 months ago.

• Author

garyslavin
    Keymaster

After you have listened to the lectures for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lectures. (If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1: We have no sufficiency, for things that matter, within ourselves. Our sufficiency is from God. Sure we can effect better careers, more money and temporal things, but these will not last. Anything pertaining to God, salvation and eternity require sufficiency from God. We are to embrace this truth in humility. We are a vessel designed to carry the Spirit within us and we must always be depending upon, abiding in, and looking unto Jesus for all our needs.

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

Good summary of lesson 1. Getting out of our own way and letting God move in our lives.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

God promises that if we come out of living the ways of the world and seek Him, He will be our God & change our lives.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I wish I had been taught these things when I was younger, and it encourages me to teach my kids now, to change their focus. The world taught me a bunch of lies.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2: God receives glory when we as believers depend upon him for all our needs and for the resources necessary to overcome our trials and tribulations. The New Covenant is based upon us depending upon God which glorifies Him, builds up the body of Christ, and touches lives. God provides all the sufficiency we need to live godly lives.

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

As parents we raise our children to be independent, while at the same time we teach them to be dependent on God for all things. Being dependent on God one of lifes most important lessons. Not easy to sacrifice pride and abide in Christ, but once done it sure makes life easier.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

As we give ourselves to Christ, He will work in us & cleanse us in a new spiritual health.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 3: We have made sufficient of the new Covenant instead of sufficient of the letter of the law. The letter kills but the Spirit gives life. Man’s sufficiency is to follow the letter of the law which brings death for no one can fulfill the letter which can be summed up as “be holy”. We need to pray to walk humbly understanding that we have no resources necessary to do anything without God. Remove all thoughts and confidence of self and rely totally upon God. This is where God wants us to be in our walk with him.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

God’s grace is bountiful & He will shine glory on our paths

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 4: Our bodies are like clay pots in that we are weak and continually to decline. Our strength comes from the holy Spirit that dwells within us. We are destined to face hardships and we die daily. We have to depend upon God for our strength because he has promised us His grace is sufficient for us to overcome. As we humble ourselves and rely upon God, His grace upon us increases. As we grow in our relationship with Him His grace and sufficiency are increased as the growth continues. We must abide in Christ if we are to receive God’s sufficiency to prevail.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

We are a fragrance of Christ

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

We must look past our circumstances and see God’s hand in it all. We must praise Him in the good times and the bad.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Somewhere we get the idea that we shouldn’t have hardships. Life is easier knowing that we will have them and expecting them, knowing that God is working on creating us. Our attitude towards troubles, accepting them or fighting them, says a lot.

tomdoerfel
        Participant

And that’s the trick. Hardships aren’t great but we know God is faithful. I do sometimes get tired of them though…

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 5: Those that continually place their trust in the Lord, even as time passes, shall be filled to overflowing with the grace of the Lord. The key word here is continually.

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

I really like this part and when the author goes into the book of Psalms and all of the times of David. Through the good times and through the bad times how he just cried out to God. And kept his faith. Even in his mistakes he did not make excuses, he cried out to God ask for forgiveness and begged that God be merciful to him. And David was shown great favor for his faith. I love the book of Psalms

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

For the Lord your God is with you!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Those who wait/hope/trust in the Lord shall renew their strength.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6: Our bodies are like earthen vessels that wither, crack and fade away. these vessels contain the life of Jesus because the Holy Spirit dwells within us. We are to live our lives in such a manner that the life of Jesus is made manifest through and in us.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

God is faithful to raise His children in power against any threat of destruction.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The life He gives us is His life and we become a new creation.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 1: Without God’s sufficiency there can be no Godly living. All true Godly living flows from the sufficiency of God at work in and through our lives.

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

Shifting from being self sufficient to God sufficiency a daily task indeed.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Death to our self daily gives room for the Spirit to be in our hearts and minds.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Exactly and well said. I’ve done too many things on my own and try to learn from past mistakes. The body of Christ is a work in progress, growing while we abide in Him.

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

lesson 1- Unlike the days of the law.
    All are able to boldly approach His throne of Grace. Forgiveness and a personal relationship! Holy Spirt witness to me….

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Kyle Farrell.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

The sufficiency to accomplish anything of Godly value is from Him alone.

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

What a relief it is to know that we no longer live under the old Covenant of the law. Where we could never live up to the Holiness of God. I love where it talks about in the New Covenant, it’s an arrangement contract or an arrangement and it tells us that through Jesus Christ we get to serve God under grace. My favorite part of this was when about he will write his love in our hearts and put his love in our minds. Changing us from the inside out, how beautiful.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

That is so true. It is hard to fathom what life would be like today if we were held to the Old Covenant of the law. From the very beginning, man has fallen. I also enjoyed the discussion on creating a new covenant or a New Contract. The new covenant showed that the old covenant was obsolete and inadequate.

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 2- Christians can be the most confident of people. Not in arrogance, but with meek and humble confidence through our reliance on God. The branches apart from the vine can do nothing. What a wonderful blessing we have been given.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

He is the vine & we are the branches. His power over us is love.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

That humble confidence stood out to me too. Without the humility the glory is pointed in the wrong direction.

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

I also like the humble confidence you are talking about. I believe that is a huge part of the attraction, the fragrance of God that the author is speaking of.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 2: When the believer relies on his own strength, he will fail. When you allow the Lord to lead, He will never fail you!

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

Amen.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

And as we follow we will smell more like Jesus, have hearts marked more by love and sincerity, and be epistles (letters) of Christ.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 1

In our culture we tend to want to be self-sufficient, but find out that we can’t do it on our own. Our life comes from God, and our sufficiency comes from God. There is no other way. The Old Covenant was men trying to be holy by keeping the law and there was no way he could do it. In the new covenant we must die to ourselves every day to follow Jesus. With this new covenant we find forgiveness, a personal relationship with God, and God working within us in our hearts and minds to make us more like Jesus.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I enjoyed your post about Lesson #1. I can closely relate to how our culture wants us to be self-sufficient. Too long have I been that person that has not sought out God to provide guidance and wisdom. It is a powerful and comforting thought when you think about the verse Luke 22:20. ‘This is the cup of the new covenant in my blood, which is for you’. It is a New contract or agreement for YOU! What an amazing thing when you think about it.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Yes, those are the facts and you stick to them well!

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson #1: God’s Sufficiency for Godly Living

It is a very safe assumption to say that over the last several years I have drifted far from my relationship with God. My actions, speech and thoughts were consistent in that I truly believed that if I wanted success all I had to do was work hard and it would happen. Simple grit and fortitude were what motivated me. However, no matter how much success I achieved I was never truly fulfilled. There was always something missing. For the longest time I had no idea what it was.

The first lesson in God’s Sufficiency for Godly Living outlined this so clearly. It is by living in God’s sufficiency in order to grow in the grace of God. Understanding that the void I was attempting to fill in my life with multitudes of things was never going to happen. It was not until I forfeited my life over to my savior and realized that it was through his will anything and everything is a possibility. This is so powerful when you think about it. Now that I can focus my life on what truly matters I can honestly say I feel quite enlightened.

The more I learn the more I realize I did not know. I had heard about the term ‘covenant’ before but to be honest I was not really knowledgable about it. In this lesson I learned there are some actual terms behind the covenant. They are forgiveness of sins, establishing a personal relationship with God and having an internal working of God.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2

A Christian’s life should show characteristics that they are living by God’s sufficiency. First, we are led in triumph. When we look to the Lord to lead us in our circumstances, He leads us in victory and marks our lives with a confident sense of triumph. The confidence is in Him, not us. Secondly, we will have the fragrance of Christ. We will smell like Jesus. Others will see Jesus in us and either be attracted or repelled. Thirdly, we will have a Godly sincerity, not using God’s Word to benefit ourselves but to glorify Him. Last, we are to be letters of Christ. We should be a human letter for believers, for those being saved, and for those who might never pick up and read the Bible. The message of the letter is written on our hearts. The only place to get these characteristics is from God’s sufficiency. Jesus is the vine and we are the branches. Without Him, we can do nothing.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Great summary probably from great note taking and understanding!

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 3: By God’s gracious work,He will make a believer into a living statement of who Jesus is & what He can do!

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

Yes I agree,when I look back on my life and can see how God has changed my heart and mind. Turned what the devil meant for bad, I know that people can see God working in my life. I pray more of you God and less of me.

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 2

I Really love how the author explains how the more we draw upon God, the more the inner workings oF God will be written in our hearts.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Yes, and the more natural the words or actions become

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 3- How often do we find ourselves living this ministry of condemnation expecting different results. How much better to grasp the ministry of righteousness and hold tight, living daily by the resources God so freely gives us. Living by the Grace of God. God makes it so simple why don’t we learn to completely rely on Him. When His plan is better then anything we could come up with.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

To answer your question, most people can’t live by faith because we want to make our own plans…

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 3

I really like how speaks about writing on tablets of stone, or on the soft tablets of our hearts. And how Jesus says to guard your hearts for what is in our hearts will come out. I really love it when you are in the presents of people who really love the Lord and you can just feel the love and the joy that they have inside them!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Yes, the picture of our hearts written on by the Spirit, and depending on the Spirit rather than the works of men. The heart is alive and warm while the stone is dead and cold. That just made me think of “The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe,” how the witch turns them into stone and how Aslan brings them back to life.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by  Cheryldoerfel.

DeNiece Kimbrough
      Participant

I liked that too. Yes, you can definitely see the Spirit in people.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 3

I liked the question, ‘What does our ministry offer people?’ It’s sad to see churches where it’s more about the rules than about relationships with God and relationships with people. Rules don’t attract people to God or churches.

DeNiece Kimbrough
      Participant

Yes, I agree that church ministries should operate within matters of the heart and not be judgemental.

DeNiece Kimbrough
        Participant

Lesson 3

There is a major contrast between what God wants vs. What man wants. Lesson 3 is a great reference.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Yes, I get to talk with people all the time about whether they think church is important or not. Their answers generally reflect churches with a worldly perspective on things and rules that are temporal rather than a eternal and loving God

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 4

Just as we must continually replenish our bodies with food and water for our bodies to grow and remain strong. So we also must continually we feel our bodies with the word of God so that our Spirits can continue to mature and grow stronger

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

When life gets tough, God does NOT fail to give us the strength to go on.

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

Exactly, if we are not renewed day after day where will we draw our strength from.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Living water :0)

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 5

There are so many things I could write in this lesson that really touched me. So I will just write about the first one that touched me the most in the one that I have used so many times since I have came to know the Lord and heard this verse. The Lord is my light and my salvation Whom Shall I Fear. I use this first often whenever I am feeling afraid. And when I recite this verse it seems my fear instantly leaves me. It is reassuring to know that God never expected us to handle all these things that come against us alone. That he is always with us and we never have to be afraid.

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

So many great verses to keep close in our heart. The amazing power of His word..

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

One of my favorite songs is Chris Tomlin’s “Whom Shall I Fear.” He is a friend of mine…

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Excellent. Fear is one of the enemy’s favorite tools and Jesus teaches us to use scripture as our weapons.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 4: By being a vessel, we are designed to contain something! The vessel is where the believers meaning, purpose, fulfillment & treasures of life come from.

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 4- Seeing the inadequacy of our own earthly vessel, helps us to rely on the grace, goodness and sufficiency of the Lord. Not sure how people make it through life without depending on the one who fills and refills us daily.

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 5- The power of positive thinking will betray us every time. The battle is the Lords not ours. We need to stand on the only unfaltering rock!

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

If the Lord delights in us then HE will bring us into the land.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 5: There will be battles for every believer in the Christian life. But it is God who is sufficient for things impossible to men.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 6: If Christ was not raised from the dead, Christian faith would be vain, empty, pointless.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The Gospel is based on the risen Christ and him being alive today.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4

What an awesome thought, the outer man perishing daily but God renewing the inner man day by day. God having his way. It gives me hope.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5

Abraham’s trusting in God is counted as his righteousness. He was justified by faith. Joshua was in the minority but trusted God. The Lord was with Moses, fighting battles. David confessed the Lord was his strength, rock, deliverer, and fortress. David’s strength came from God. Isaiah proclaimed God’s power for the weak. Only those who hope in the Lord will have their expectation fulfilled. Jeremiah says cursed is the man who trusts in man and blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Good job taking notes, you will write a great paper! Reading your comment on Joshua made me think how we are very often in the minority too.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson1:

His sufficiency, not mine, is best illustrated to me by the tearing of the veil at Christ’s cruxifiction. The fact that it really happened, and now we really have access to the holy of Holy’s is more than fascinating, it’s mind boggling. Being a true worshiper is simply amazing

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2:

The characteristics of His sufficiency help me understand that it’s more important to allow His aroma to meet their needs than the gifts He’s given us such as music or whatever it may be. When people recognize the light of Christ in any of us, giving God the glory becomes very creative and challenging.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 6

We can never measure up but our lives can be empowered by the resurrection power. We are connected to the resurrection through justification, being declared righteous.Next, in sanctification, we grow in the Lord, mature, and bear fruit. This is resurrected living. God raised us from our deadness to a resurrected life. We are now alive in Christ.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 3

The contrast of my sufficiency vs God’s sufficiency is obvious. Most laws are easy to follow and quite logical…my sufficiency. Learning how to grapple with our selfish desires and allowing God to heal our deepest mess is at the heart of repentance, and that requires a certain amount of pain and suffering which is much easier, and seems more logical, to avoid. Who do I want to be in charge, of everything in my life, is the heart of the issue.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson4

This is the third time I’ve written a comment and really hope it doesn’t disappear into Ciberspace. This whole sufficiency thing boils down to trust. The more I trust Him, the more I see Him in others, and another relationship is laid on a strong foundation. Nothing easy, but the rewards are out of this world! The flower pot illustration was a great word pic on perspective.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5

I like how professor Bob cracks himself up, then teaches another down to earth principle. Waiting on God was one of his better ones…kicking up my feet in the hammock and just chilling out? No, we need to have that expectant attitude of providence, how God can even work through our blunders if He wants. Of course it’s better when we don’t have to make a blunder to move on to doing His will…”my hearts desire!”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.