Home Forums BLBi Track Matthew

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  coopertlc123 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

garyslavin
    Keymaster

After you have listened to the lectures for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lectures. (If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1 I am now on lesson 9 and realized that I have been forgetting to post a comment. I will catch up
    1- I did not realize that the last four names represented 400 years. 100 years each. That just seems a little odd.
    2- the reference to Jesus being born in a house and not in a manger must be significant but I really don’t get it. We have two different accounts with one being a house and one being a manger.
    3- I had never realized that repentance took place at the scene of John the Baptist’s baptisms. I had never really thought of it and kind of looked upon it as “baptism unto repentance”. But they repented and confessed their sin’s while being baptized.
    4- The Holy Spirit, one of the Godhead, was involved in the conception of Jesus in Mary, was involved in Jesus’s baptism, Led Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted, provided Jesus with the power necessary to perform public ministry, provided the power behind the miracles, and assisted in with the resurrection of Jesus. The Holy Spirit is also our comforter in that He took Jesus’s place when Jesus left the earth to prepare a place for us. The Holy Spirit is the force that keeps Satan and evil at bay until Jesus returns. What a huge role The holy Spirit plays in our lives and world.
    5- Don Stewart says that Jesus took the disciples aside for the sermon on the mount. this was a sermon for the disciples. I have always believed that also. However I do believe that Jesus gave us all a set of spiritual goals to aspire to.
    6- God will not recognize anything you give or do unless your motive is pure. If you have ANY motive other than pure love and obedience to God then you may as well keep your money and don’t waste your time. God will not accept or recognize it anyway.
    7- I have always thought that if we judge others with the Bible, then we will be judged by the Bible. That is ok with me.
    8- Jesus, showing he is Lord over everything, is brought to light by the ten specific miracles He performs in chapters 8 & 9

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 9- It is my belief that all sickness is a result of sin, either directly or indirectly. Sickness and disease came into the world after the fall of Adam and will remain until the return of Jesus and the final resurrection. Jesus demonstrated the new gospel by using new wine being put into old wineskins. The wineskins burst, the wine spills out and the wineskins are ruined. The old and the new can’t fit; the gospel can’t be added to Judaism.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 10 Verse 22 …”the one who endures to the end will be saved”. Here and in several places the Bible refers to finishing the race or enduring to the end. It is obvious to me that we must continue walking with God to be saved. Many people do not think so.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 12 I would have liked a more extensive explanation of the unpardonable sin. For example, how does he draw his conclusion that it is a series of sins over a period of time?

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 13 Jesus makes several connections between judgment and fire Which causes anguish. I also see several references to people becoming believers and not enduring or finishing the race. They fall away. These comments I have made are contradictory to most of what is taught in the majority of the churches. Hell and burning without ceasing is real and people can lose their salvation. This chapter is only one of many references to both comments I have made.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 14 The dance by Salome must have been extremely provocative to influence Herod in such a great way. Or maybe he was drunk, or maybe both. I say it was a feast day because it was Herod’s birthday and they were having a feast.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 15 Jesus rejected Israel and began ministering to the Gentiles. This was a tremendous turning point. I often wonder how different things would have been had Jesus been accepted by the Jews.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 16 I think the rock that Jesus built His church on was the truths of His teachings. That was the foundation.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 17 I wonder why Jesus took Peter James and John for the transfiguration. I guess so it could be recorded in the Bible.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 18 The subject of forgiveness is an interesting one. Many people believe that as Christians we are to forgive no matter what. I am not so sure that is Biblical. God does not forgive no matter what. First there is the unpardonable sin. More important to my comment is , God does not automatically forgive us. We must repent. Without repentance, there is no forgiveness. I do not find that we are required or expected to forgive people who show no remorse and have no intention of repentance. We are told to forgive others as God forgives us. That forgiveness is not automatic and does not come without repentance.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 19 The understanding of divorce is weak at best. If someone divorces his wife for other reasons than sexual morality, marries someone else, then gets right with God, is that person still living in sin by remaining married, or will he commit a sin if he divorces his second wife because he thinks he is sinning not because she was immoral.

If a man marries a divorced woman and gets right with God, should he divorce the woman? Is she committing adultery after she becomes a Christian?

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 20 I have always seen the parable of the vineyard as saying if someone gets saved 10 minutes before they die, they will be treated the same as someone who dies and was a Christian all their life.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 21 The crowd was much like people today. They loved Jesus when he entered the city and then wanted him crucified. People really that easy to move to the dark side. Look at us today. Save the whales, kill the babies.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 22 I have always wrestled with the ‘Love your neighbor as yourself” scripture. Who is your neighbor? Some say all of mankind. If this is true then we are commanded to love our enemies as ourselves. How can we fight our enemies if we love them as ourselves. Are we to sit back and allow the terrorists to destroy us and the world? Jesus will come back and destroy many many people. The question comes down to who is our neighbor and or, what is meant by the word love?

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 23 This kind of addresses my previous comments. Was Jesus speaking out of love? I am sure he was speaking out of Godly love. How does that fit into the commandment to love your neighbor as yourself? I have a love for people but I have to be honest, I find it impossible to love the terrorists. Of course I wish they were not like that but they are and love of them does not fit into my picture. Who is my neighbor and exactly what kind of love are we required to have?

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 24 This is a very intense chapter. I wonder why Jesus did not make things more clear to us. We see so many times where scripture can be interpreted different ways with clearly different outcomes. With something so important, the same outcome would be nice.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 25 It is interesting that hell was not created for man but for Satan and his angels. Unbelievers will join them there for eternity. Many preachers use this as a fear factor to get people saved. I don’t think it really works. Unless the Holy Spirit calls (convicts) you will not be truly saved.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 26 I have always been curious about the sword that cut off the ear. I am surprised that the disciples wore swords. I have never figured that one out.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 27 The possible discrepancy in Jeremiah’s/Zechariah’s prophecy is certainly interesting. I don’t accept any of the solutions that suggest an error. If there is one error in the Bible then we can assume there would be the possibility of more. Who then would be able to decide which is error and which is true.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Chapter 28 This was a good course but I would have liked to see more details in several areas and less details in others.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.