Home Forums ODBCU Track ML513: Expository Preaching

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  coopertlc123 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

garyslavin
    Keymaster

After you have listened to the lectures for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lectures. (If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson:1 In order to be effective preachers, we need to know the world of the Bible. We have to know the history during the time the Bible was written. We also should either know the language it was written in or at least have some understanding of it. Understanding the culture of times the bible was written is important in order to gain a better understanding of various passages and scriptures.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 2 We also need to know the language, history and culture of the modern world if we are to be effective preachers. We need to understand the issues of our society and preach in a language that will be understood. Knowing the culture of the people you are preaching to will help you present the gospel in a way they will understand and it could keep you from saying things that might be better put in a different way.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson:3 The other world you have to know is the particular world in which you are speaking. You need about seven years with a congregation to really make an impact because it takes that long to get to know them, their history and their language. language here may or not be a different language than English, but you need to understand how they see and say things or you will always be an outsider. Not one of them.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 4 Our own world, that in which we grew up, has shaped us and influences how we read, understand, and even preach the Bible. Our beliefs in various doctrines are shaped in large by our individual culture, language and history. we need to be aware of this and aware of how it influences our preaching of the gospel.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 5 Expository preaching can be defined as the proclamation of a biblical concept. We are charged with preaching the gospel and in doing so we should never change the message or preach scattered passages out of context. This practice is done often either because the preacher wants to make a point and doesn’t care about what the scripture meant or he doesn’t know or understand the context. We are told to learn the gospel and be prepared before preaching it. Paul was forced to spend seven years being instructed, by God, before he was turned loose to preach. I remind you that prior to this seven years, Paul was all ready one of the most learned men of his time. he knew the Bible quite well all ready. We need to make sure we understand who the Bible is referencing, what was being said before and after the scripture, the history and culture of the time and place it was being said, and we need to understand why it was being said and the meaning of that for today. I heard a minister preach on Nicodemus and he used this to show the congregation that ‘all you have to do is Believe and you will be saved”. Of course Jesus was telling Nicodemus what he was missing, which was belief. Given that same methodology we could use the story of the rich young ruler to show that, ” If you want to follow Christ, you have to sell everything you own.” Of course here, Jesus was telling the rich young ruler what he was missing. The rich young ruler was too much in love with his possessions and wealth. Each of these examples are showing the need for an understanding of context.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 6 The Holy Spirit works with us and through us as we prepare for and deliver our sermons. He may give us the scripture, He may give us revelation or insight to a scripture or He may gently guide us without our knowledge. I am personally convinced that the Holy Spirit lives inside me and he is always present and always guiding me in everything I do. All I have to do is have a bad thought, become a little prideful or say something that isn’t prudent and he is there immediately, letting me know about my error. On the same hand, He is always there to help me with my walk and to guide me with my sermon preparations. Sometimes He shows up in a big way and sometimes He doesn’t. He may inspire the preacher during his sermon and cause the preacher to preach way beyond himself in a supernatural way. Or he may work through the congregation by either showing different people different revelations or maybe by convicting the congregation and causing a revival for the church. The Holy Spirit is like the wind and we do not know where from or when He comes and we do not know where he goes. A church minister needs to take each sermon and decide how he intends to effect the lives of his congregation with the message. He should be specific and make a point to identify the change he anticipates in some way that will reach his congregation. Otherwise, they might hear what he has to say without applying the message to their own lives. The congregation should be led by the minister.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 7 We have to be honest and speak the truth. We have to be able to identify an idea, evaluate the idea and then communicate that idea. This requires a subject, or question, and a compliment, or answer to the question. This can be done as a statement such as, ” What this church needs is a revival”. Subject is what this church needs and compliment is a revival. This is necessary for a sermon.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 8 we have a proverb to demonstrate how to evaluate the subject and the compliment. Proverbs 22:1 ” A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold”. The subject is, what is the value of a good reputation and the compliment is it is more valuable than silver or gold.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 9 The basic unit of thought in literature is a paragraph. So as you are trying to determine what a biblical writer is saying, look for a paragraph. Some writers will break paragraphs down to make them easier to read, but a paragraph still is the basic unit of thought. We look at the paragraph and determine what is the question asked and what is the answer given. The question is not always a question in the pure form of a question. We need to ask the question of what is the subject and what is being said and then determine what is meant by all that.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 10 Don’t go to a scripture and try to find a sermon in it, rather try to determine what ideas the scripture is trying to convey and how that relates and can be applied today to your congregation. the ultimate accomplishment in your sermon is to deliver it with unity, order with a progressive movement to the end. Unity would be to bring ideas or things that were either separate before or not recognized as belonging together and bringing them together in a unified, orderly fashion that brings you through orderly progression to an understandable end. Unity is created in the mind and if you do not clearly show that to your congregation, they will decide in their own minds what that unity is which could cause them to completely miss the intent of your message. A sermon needs to be a movement with a sense of progress and will take you someplace. A sermon should be designed so that it can end only after you have moved through all ideas to the conclusion. If the sermon can be stopped at more than one place, it isn’t really designed properly because it has to have a beginning, a middle and an end. each part of an idea or point should relate to the following point which then gives the sermon a sense of progress.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 11 There are only three ways to develop an idea, explain it, prove it and apply it. So in other words, I state an idea and you say are you sure? where did you get that? So I explain or prove it. You then say so what? what does that mean to me? that is where you apply it. Often preachers exhort, which is the kind of sermon filled with “you should, you shouldn’t, do this, don’t do that and so on. Peoples response is often, “I don’t need to be preached at”, which is another way of saying, ” don’t apply the third development piece until you have properly covered the first two. The statement and the proof.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson: 12 If you are going to preach then you need to understand what the biblical writer was saying to the people for whom it was written. If you go to the Bible and read something for the purpose of making it a sermon, you might read something into the scripture that isn’t really there. Paul used illustrations to address answer the first development question of what do you mean, in I Corinthians. He used the different body parts making up the entire human body as an example of the many different gifts from the same Spirit making up the entire body of Christ.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 15 Paul used examples to answer the proof part of the second development question in I Corinthians 15. He used the planting of the wheat seed and the wheat coming up as something completely different but connected to the seed as an example to the Greeks how our body will die, be planted into the grave and come up, resurrected into a body that is completely different but still, yet connected.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 14 We are reminded not to go to the so what or third developmental question without developing the first two stages first. The author refers to the results as harangue. The results must be connected to the cause or you will be preaching at the congregation. In Ephesians 15 Pauls uses an analogy to answer the application portion of the third developmental question. Example was the Armor of God with the shoes of peace being soldiers gear and they need them to get around. He said as ministers of peace we need those shoes to spread peace, not war.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 15 As we prepare our sermon we must think about taking the text and applying it to our 21st century congregation. The same three questions are applied to the congregation. If they are following the sermon, they will be asking those questions as the sermon is laid out. If their are parts of the sermon that applied directly to the early church people, as the example was used of eating foods offered to idols, then the preacher will have to spend time explaining the relevance of how that would happen and why the early Christians were concerned about it. In this case, the eating of the meat was a social problem, a physical problem and a spiritual problem. Until they understand all there is about this, they will not follow the sermon. In other cases, if you start out with a comment or statement they may not either agree with or want to agree with, they will jump to the second question, ” is that really true”. They may begin developing ideas from their own experiences that will lead them to that is not true. That is based upon an objection derived from their decision that there is a better reason for them to disobey God than to obey Him. The example used is “You should not marry a non-Christian”. A girl, not dating a non-Christian would most likely agree. But, a girl dating a non-Christian would come up with all kinds of excuses and reasons why her marrying a non-Christian would be ok. all this can be answered by using illustrations showing why it matters and why it is true.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 16 As you read the Bible and begin to develop ideas, the first idea that you get is an exegetical idea, or a concept from the Bible which is known as a theological idea. You have to transform an exegetical idea into a homiletical idea, which is in preaching form. If you don’t, you risk having a congregation which knows a lot of Biblical names, dates and places, but does not understand how that effects them in their lives on a personal level. One of the ways to do that is to direct the passage to the congregation. The example given was Romans 6 “When Christ died for you, you died. When Christ arose, you arose”. Substitute and use the word you as in, “If you belong to Jesus Christ, then you need to understand that when he died, you died. When he arose, you arose.” Another way to approach this is to to say,” If you are a Christian, then you are not the same person you were before you became a Christian. You are a new person in Jesus Christ”. That puts it in a form that is easily understood and related to. Your congregation will not remember your outline and they will forget most of your exegesis, but they will remember an idea that was well formed and relates to them.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 17 When I consider a message, from the Bible, I need to determine what the author wrote that was taken for granted because his audience was two thousand years ago and they understood what he meant. I have to figure that out and present it to my congregation in a fashion as to be understood by a twenty fist century congregation. Once you develop your central idea, then begin to ask yourself questions like, what is my purpose or what do I want to convey to my congregation? What will this contribute to the lives of the congregation? When you determine your focus, it is best to jot it down to maintain focus, and not get off track. An outline is a good practice and should be set up as full sentences. Identify the main points, which are the ideas that lead from one point to the next, as Roman numerals with all subjects of discussion being listed as letters. Each numeral is a movement that leads to the next numeral, which is the next point. Expository preaching requires the speaker to help the congregation think by continually going back to the basic doctrine four or five times. A good time to do this is around the same time you move to the next point. Deductive development is when the you start with your main idea and inductive is when you lead up to your main idea. Inductive development is much more difficult and requires a lot of practice.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 18 Boredom, from the pulpit, is not only a failure in communication, it is also a destroyer of life and hope. Our sermon should be designed to get and hold people’s attention which is difficult because we generally think five times faster than one talks. People will give their attention to things they are interested in. The primary driver of interest is need. Our greatest level of interest is derived from what we feel we need, so we develop our outline to deal with the needs of the congregation. People are interested in what they need and will pay attention to something when they are interested in that something.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 19 Beginning your sermon with an interesting statement helps get the attention of the audience. If you begin with something like, ”Now we are going to study the Gospel of Like”, you will lose a portion of the audience right there. After the interesting statement you will want to follow up by suggesting a need and giving an answer to that need. At that point, the idea of your sermon will be anticipated and you should present what is behind your sermon. If you work your idea into the sermon several times in several different ways you will have the opportunity to use examples, illustrations, analogies and for instances to show them what you are talking about. A good illustration can win support for the truth of what you are saying in that it appeals to something in the experience of the congregation, by explaining an abstract concept in ways the congregation thinks and relates.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 20 What does your sermon mean to or for me is the final question to be answered by a good Sometimes your answer to what does that mean to me will be obvious and immediately applicable. But sometimes it will not. Sometimes the time to apply the message may happen at some point in the future. This is the best time to use visualization as a method of getting your point across. If you are giving a sermon on the persistence of prayer and you do not want your congregation to give up after the same prayer is not visibly answered, you might use this visualization. “I knew a lady who was a very fine woman and a devout Christian. Her husband was quite a different story. He was an alcoholic with a mean streak that reared its ugly head at the onset of alcohol. He would come home late at night and abuse his wife which sometimes ended in physical abuse. She came to me for counseling many times and prayed for her husband without ceasing. People in the church and in the town felt sorry for her and shook their heads as she passed by. She was confronted many times with the question and suggestion that she leave her husband. Her response was always the same, I ”I will continue to pray for my husband and trust that God will answer my prayer”. This went on for seventeen years, until one day her husband gave his heart to the Lord. He was a changed man. He walked with her to church every Sunday, opened the doors for her, stopped drinking and became the model husband. This woman’s dedication was not only instrumental in changing her life but also her husband’s life now and for eternity. You see we should never give up and assume God will not answer our prayers. He does so in His own way and in His own time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.