Home Forums BTI Track New Testament, its Structure, Content, and Theology

This topic contains 40 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff McGregor 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

stephenlawes
    Keymaster

After you have listened to the lectures for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lectures. (If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

broregz
    Participant

I find The Criteria for Canon interesting

Jeff McGregor
      Participant

so do I.its amazing that God uses His creation, us, imperfect people to bring His Word to the people, being lead by the Holy Spirit to understand what is or is not to be included in the cannon

broregz
    Participant

There can be no doubt about the bible we are using today. With these lessons we find that The bible we have today is reliable, accurate and true

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

wow, what a great first lesson, I really like the three stages of head heart and hands. it encapsulates how we apply this truth to every area in our lives

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Just read through the second lesson in this unit. Mounce does and excellent job of explaining the synoptic problem in relation to the reliability of the synoptics.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Can we trust our Bible? Yes we can. Mounce gives a brilliant break down of what inspiration is about, its limits, different prespectives etc, brilliant stuff, great food for thought.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

I really like what Bill said about the different translations etc, esp in the differences between the various types, good stuff

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

A great introduction to the first 4 chapters of Mark, really like the way Mounce talked about how to interpret the parables.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Great dices sion on what it means to be a true disciple, it’s more than just a conversion experience, great stuff

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Great discussion on what it means to be a true disciple, it’s more than just a conversion experience, great stuff. Sorry for the bad auto correct in the previous comment.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Love the treatment of mark chapter 13, brilliant exegesis of what was going to happen and what is to come

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Another great lecture, it was really interesting looking at the different understandings of communion, and also at what it meant for Jesus to become sin for us.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

wow, the beatitudes are HARD, good food to chew on

stephenlawes
      Keymaster

The Beatitudes have long been one of my favorite areas to study and try and incorporate into my daily life. Keep on pressing on!

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

I never really saw the magnitude of the scope of the sermon on the mount, it has changed the way I think and act, awesome stuff

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

I agree with you Stephen, its a life changer, are we going to be the blessed people of God or are we going to be like the Pharisees with no real substance.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Its was great to see how Luke shapes his gospel narrative around gentiles and the lowest of society and lets them know that Jesus message is also for you, not just the Jewish religious leaders

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

A great look at John, it was interesting looking at the seven “I am” sayings and the background information of the festival of booths and the significance behind the sayings.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Great teaching on the farewell discourse, especially like how Jesus went over the basics just so the disciples would get it before His death

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

I like how acts was divided between Peter and Paul, also how there was a lag period of the Holy Spirit coming on the Samaritans, so that there faith in Jesus could be authenticated by the leaders of the Jerusalem church, and then the Holy Spirit came on them as the evidence of their faith in Christ.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

It was great to go through Acts and then stop off at Galatians to see how Pauls first missionary journey was going and the issue of the Judaizers, Pauls reaction, and the ended of the conflict with the letter from the Jerusalem church

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Heavy stuff, church discipline for the lazy. Good comments on eschatology esp in regard to the man of lawlessness and the numeric value 666.Some great advice also for young churches on what to watch out for.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Very interesting discussion at the end of the lecture about church discipline, its a lot broader that we think but need to remember that is a restorative process. Good food for thought

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

A great closing to the Corinthian letters. interesting points in divorce and remarriage, and the closing remarks regarding our resurrection are thought provoking and will need, for me some, mulling over.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Great intro to the first 4 chapters of Romans. the two things that stood out was 1, justification and righteousness are the same word in the greek (did an essay on these many years ago) and that God has not left himself without a witness that is general revelation, we have no excuse.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Great discussion on the issue of election and predestination. Are we Calvanist or Arminanist? We need to be some where between these 2 extremes, otherwise we only see one side of the meta narrative of the New Testament. We need to really look at and define what we mean we talk about these two issues, first we need to look at His word then at mans theology and ask the Holy Spirit to help us in our understanding, as Mr Mounce said its all part of the process, Good food for thought.

stephenlawes
      Keymaster

This is one of the topics that seems to come up over and over again. Finding and staying in some solid middle ground on the issue is important.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

The whole idea of the adiaphoria is an interesting one, about those things of a secondary nature and how we use our conscience in these areas, also the idea of the strong limiting there freedom in Christ at times so as to cause their brother to stumble. It was good to look at what ‘stumbling’ meant.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

in response to Steves post, finding the middle ground is what we need to do but it is not as easy as it sounds, we all come to the text with certain bias’s weather its cultural or socio political etc, thankfully we have the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us into all truth, and He also gave us a mind capable or logic and reasoning.

stephenlawes
      Keymaster

Hi Jeff. I agree. It is not easy. Rather than getting caught up in the debate I just try and stay focused on doing the things that I know I am called to as a follower of Christ. I want to try and not get sidetracked. I think a good solid theology is important but I want to make sure I am as fully engaged in mission as I can be.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Lesson 22 was really good, finishing Acts and getting through the book of Ephesians. The five blessings was really an eye opener, I mean I know these things but never really saw them before in Ephesians, the five are Election, still working on that one, Adoption, Redemption, Inheritance and The Holy Spirit. Great stuff

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Good main theme in Philippians, do have unity. Really liked the comment that it doesn’t mean we have to agree with everything but to have the same mind as Christ, if only we could all be like this. Also like his indicative and imperative thing, the former is who we are in Christ and the latter what we do in response to that fact. A great look at Philippians.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Response to Steve. So true we have a calling and that is to take the gospel to all people and its also true that we have to base it all on sound theology, lest we teach a different gospel. For me I think that theology is one of those areas that I really enjoy and tend to think a lot on, sometimes out loud lol. But I always remember what my mission is for His kingdom. Thanks for your comment Steve

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Great synopsis of Colossians and its relation to Philemon, was interesting to learn about the syncretism going on in colossae at the time. It reminds me that there are western churches here in the first world who are just as syncretistic as the Colossians were.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

It was very enlightening reading about the pastorals, it funny because I’m taking our home group through a study of 1 Timothy, it has given me some insight and good ideas on how to phrase questions and to look at the context. I also liked how Bill wrote a paper on what the Elder is to be like, as we are looking at the issue of elders at our church, good stuff

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Great breakdown of Hebrews,I liked his little ‘camp out’ where he talked briefly about the Arminian and Calvinist debate. There was some really strong stuff in here that I know I’m going to use in my next sermon.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

A good look at James, the range of the word sanctification was really interesting, seeing how Paul used it one way for his audience and James used it in another way for his audience, I had never really seen that before.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

Great outline of Jude, I have been looking into Jude for a while and have come to the same conclusion as Bill, we need to ‘fight’ for the core beliefs of our faith otherwise we have people in our churches following a false Jesus. It was a sobering wake up call for the church to practice discernment and by love and mercy bring those who are being swayed back into the truth of Jesus

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

I like johns black and white take on the world, with the little bit of grey, I think that’s a great way to combat the Gnosticism is prevalent in our churches. He uses their language and their understand to undermine their assumption and understanding of the universe that God has created.

Jeff McGregor
    Participant

A very interesting look at revelation, I don’t fall into any ‘camp’ I just believe that Christ is coming back. It was interesting to see the comments about dispensationlism, over here in Aust and even my country of origin, its basically a dead theology, no one who believes in orthodoxy believes it anymore, so it was interesting to hear of academics over there in the states who still hold that view in some form. Anyway interesting lecture and a good over all scope of revelation.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.