Home Forums Trinity Track Old Testament Survey I

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ashley Baugher 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

stephenlawes
    Keymaster

Start posting your responses to the Old Testament Survey I courses here!

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1 I now understand the significance of ages and specific times mentioned in the Old testament. The understanding of I Kings 6:1 puts a whole new dimension to the understanding of prophetic scripture.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2 The dating system puts a completely different light on events of Genesis. Somehow the information has a deeper meaning and is a little easier to put into perspective. These guys sure were old when they had children. Isaac prayed for 20 years for Rebecca to give him children. I think I would have given up long before then.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 3 It is interesting that God does not blame Satan for the people worshiping the golden calf. Perhaps we give Satan too much credit when we blame all our sins on him. This might indicate that we are born in sin and perfectly capable of sinning without the help of Satan.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 4 The in depth explanation of the worship of Baal was quite interesting. I kind of knew some of it but this made it crystal clear. It is difficult to understand why the Nation of Israel turned to that form of worship

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 5 The entire nation of Israel was punished because of the sin of one man, Achan. 400 years after the treaty with the Gibeonites, David had to select seven men to be hung by the Gibeonites because Saul attempted to kill the Gibeonotes, which was a violation of the treaty made with Joshua. The punishment for sin, throughout the Old Testament, should show us that we can not live in sin. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Surely we must understand that there are consequences for our sins.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6 I wonder if the Israelites had wiped out the Canaanites, if we would have the terrorists today. It seems that the root of the terrorists is in the descendants of Ishmael and so were the Canaanites. Had the Israelites obeyed God history and the world today would certainly be different.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 7 I have always liked the Book of Ruth but I am not clear of its significance. I understand that it shows God’s divine hand and grace but it all most seems to be out of place.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 8 The Arc was captured by the Philistines during the battle of Aphek in 1075 BC. I have always wondered why the men that touched the Arc were not killed. I know God allowed the Arc to be taken, Psalms 78:56 but no Israelite was permitted to look upon or touch the Arc. It just seems like the same consequences would apply to everyone else. This is not a questioning of God’s decision but just a thought.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 9 In chapter 12 the Israelites begin to serve Baal again. I just can not understand how they could do this over and over again. Samuel hacked Agag into pieces with his sword. This is quite brutal. I wonder what was the purpose for such brutality. I can’t imagine what hacking someone into pieces would feel like emotionally. I am sure there was a purpose as God is sovereign.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 10 This was an intense lesson. I have always been intrigued with the calling of Samuel from the dead by the seer, Saul went to in Endor. I read and understand the two options but I propose that Samuel was actually awakened by the seer and truly in communication with Saul. There are a few items that occurred which lead me to believe this. Samuel was upset that Saul had done such a thing and prophesied things privy only to God. This is proof that God was involved to some degree. Since God would not joint venture with Satan then we must believe that Satan was not involved with this. Even though Ecclesiastes 9: 5-6 clearly state that dead know nothing, God can do anything. The Bible says that we will surely die as a result of the original sin but Elijah went to heaven in a chariot of fire, which shows that all things are possible through God. God allowed Samuel to be awakened to accomplish his plan for Saul. I think if option 1 or 2 were true, the Bible would have said so. We are certainly told that Samuel was awakened and I think that is exactly what happened.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 11 We often hear how the world is getting worse everyday. Based upon Old testament times, I would think things are much better now. If today a conquering army killed 2/3 of its prisoners or hacked a king to pieces with a sword, or killed every man woman and child; they would be tried for war crimes.

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 1, Luke records Jesus saying that there were three divisions of Books of Scripture. The Law of Moses, The Prophets, And the Psalms. (Writings)

Lesson 2, Joseph dies in Egypt in 1805BC when he is 110 years old and so ends the Book of Genesis.

Lesson 3, The Seven Feasts of Israel: Passover, Unleavened Bread, First Fruits, Pentecost, Trumpets, Atonement, Tabernacles.

Lesson 4, 1947-Dead Sea Scrolls Discovered. They contained scroll fragments back to 150BC. When compared to the Hebrew text we had from 850-950AD they
    were amazingly accurate.

Lesson 5, Joshua Chapter 2: Spies are sent into the land. They go to Rahab’s house, apparently a house of prostitution was a good place to find out
    information about a city.

Lesson 6, Joshua Chapter 22: The land is distributed to the tribes of Israel. The tribes of Gad, Reuben and the 1/2 tribe of Manasseh head back to the
    Transjordan.

Lesson 7, What is a Kinsman Redeemer? The Hebrew term for Kinsman-Redeemer designates one who delivers or rescues.

Lesson 8, 1 Samuel 3:1 (NIV) 1 The boy Samuel Ministered before the Lord under Eli. In those days the word of the Lord was rare. There were not many
    visions.

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 9, Deuteronomy 25:19 (NIV) 19 When the Lord your God gives you rest from all your enemies around you in the land he is giving you to possess as an
    inheritance, you shall blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven. DO NOT FORGET!

Lesson 10, 1 Samuel 22:1 (NIV) David left Gath and escaped to the cave of Adullam. When his brothers and his father’s household heard about it, they went
    down to him there.

Lesson 11, 2 Samuel 3:1 (NIV) The war between the house of Saul and the house of David lasted a long time. David grew stronger and stronger while the
    house of Saul grew weaker and weaker.

Ashley Baugher
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.