Home Forums Trinity Track Old Testament Survey II

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  RBosic 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

stephenlawes
    Keymaster

Start posting your responses to the Old Testament Survey II courses here!

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1 Dr. Rodgers said that the death of Bathsheba’s first son somehow showed that children, who die before the age of accountability, go to heaven. I can’t understand how he came to that conclusion from the events that took place. I have often wondered if in fact children who die before age of accountability actually go to heaven. Based on scripture I have concluded that those who die and have at least one Christian parent will go to heaven. I do not think the others will. I think if this were so, God would not have had the children slain in the Canaan countries. This is an over simplified response to such a huge topic but for this post I will leave it here.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2 David had three choices of punishment for numbering the people. Once again there was a price to pay for the sin. This price in no way was connected to sacrifices which took place on the threshing floor later. I believe we still get punished for our sins even though they are forgiven. I have heard many many many sermons preached saying that is not so. But our God today is the same God of yesterday. The sins are forgotten after we get saved but the outcome and punishment for those sins are all ready in motion and must be carried out. This is demonstrated over and over again in the Old testament and I don’t see any reason why that was changed by Jesus Christ. His death was for the forgiveness of our sins. David was forgiven and made right with God but a price still had to be paid.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 3 The three different types of Psalms is new to me. I really like the idea of using Psalms in my prayer life and I think using them in praise and worship would be fantastic. I certainly will be looking at Psalms from a different perspective and I hope to use them as they were intended to be utilized.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 4 The description given of being hung on the cross was very moving. I was chocked up as I thought about our savior going through this pain and suffering. This should be widely known and taught in all churches.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 5 Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes which to me shows a clear example of how empty ones life is if they have everything. We would think Solomon would be a very happy man but he was empty. All his riches, all his wives, all the things he did and accomplished produced an empty life. His conclusion in chapter 12 13-14 “Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good or whether it be evil.

This sums it up.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6 The division of the tribes of Israel was an interesting development. Both nations, Israel and Judah turned from God to the worship of idols and the worship of Baal. The continual breaking away from God and worship of idols by the Israelites, and the punishment by God that brings them back, is a tremendous revelation of how great the mercies of God are. the fact that he never gives up on them is something only a supernatural power, God, could do. This is an example for us today, that even if we drift away from God, he welcomes us back with open arms.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 7 Elijah the prophet experienced depression. That is interesting! As I sit here I am not sure what to think about that but it surprises me. I guess no matter how close we get to God, our human frailties will still surface. It does not mention if Elijah prayed to be delivered from depression. I wonder if he did.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 8 This lesson contained a lot of history. I guess the most impactful part was Elisha. He was quite a prophet. He as did Elijah, brought someone back from the dead. He had requested a double portion of the Holy Spirit and got it. Elisha had more insight and Godly powers than did Elijah. It is interesting because at one point Elijah thought no one could take his place. Elijah was taken up in a whirlwind. I wonder if that is connected to John the Baptist coming in the spirit od Elijah. I have always thought they were the same person and Elijah never died so he could come back as John the Baptist.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 9 Dr. Rodgers said that sometimes God keeps Some Christians poor because he knows their heart and knows that they need to stay poor to continue to need God. If they get a lot of money they will go astray. I agree with that statement. God has taken everything away from me three times and each time it was to bring me back to him. He is an amazing God.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 10 Manasseh repented and was converted. Even though he was forgiven, the price of his sins had to be paid. This resulted in the final devastation of Judah by Babylon. There are so many examples of this I can’t help but believe we still pay for our sins today, even though we have repented and have been converted.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 11 The lamentations were quite revealing. often in my life I have drifted away from God and he has always brought me to a point where I return to him. I can say that I have learned from this and my drifting away has been reduced to struggles to get certain sins under control. This may sound wrong but every time I start feeling guilty or bad about how I have been on and off through the years, I think about the Israelites and the horrible things they did. This makes me feel better because I feel God can forgive me and still loves me because after all, I haven’t done anything nearly as bad as the Israelites. I thank God that he has such a tremendous capacity for love and forgiveness.

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 1, Jedidiah means “Friend of God” or “Beloved of God”

Lesson 2, 1Kings 6:1 (NIV) In the 480th year after the Israelites had come out of Egypt in the fourth year of Solomon’s reign over Israel, in the month of
    Ziv, the second month, he began to build the Temple of the Lord.

Lesson 3, 1 Kings 10:14 (NIV) 14 The weight of the gold that Solomon received was 666 Talents, 83,000Pounds of gold. At today’s price 1292.75 Per Ounce is
    equivalent to $1,577,000,000. per year.

Lesson 4, The book of Proverbs holds up a sample of life and talks about what is wise and unwise, what is good and not good Etc…..

Lesson 5, Job 42:12 (NIV) The Lord blessed the latter part of Job’s life more than the first. He had 14,000 step, 6,000 camels, 1,000 yoke of oxen and
    1,000 donkeys.

Lesson 6, John The Baptist fulfilled his role as anointing prophet of Jesus who was a seed of David and anointed by the prophet (John The Baptist)

Lesson 7, Numbers 36:7 (NIV) No inheritance in Israel is to pass from Tribe to Tribe, for every Israelite shall keep the Tribal Land inherited from his
    forefathers.

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 8, 2Kings 2:1 (NIV) When the Lord was about to take Elijah up to Heaven in a whirlwind Elijah and Elisha were on their way from Gilgal.

Lesson 9, Isaiah 6:1 (NIV) In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, High and exalted, And the train of his robe filled he
    temple.

Lesson 10, 2Kings 22:1 Josiah was eight years old when he became King and he reigned in Jerusalem thirty one years. (2) He did what was right in the eyes
    of the Lord and walked in all the ways of his father David.

Lesson 11, 586 BC After the conquest of Jerusalem, Jeremiah stays behind in Jerusalem when Israel is exiled. He summarizes what has happened at the hands
    of the Babylonians.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.