Home Forums RSM Track Survey of the Bible 1 (Genesis-Song)

This topic contains 378 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  patriciakuhn 1 month ago.

• Author

garyslavin
    Keymaster

After you have listened to the lectures for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lectures. (If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1: Genesis reveals how inadequate we are without God through the realm of natural relationships, the realm of human relationships and the realm of spiritual relationships.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Seek after God instead of things. Adam had it all and still sought after his own desires. I cannot fathom why.

Eleanor McAdams
        Participant

We can not fathom why Adam sought after his own desires, as we are looking back with a different perspective. Adam sinned once and was punished immensely. How many times do we sin and not see the punishment at all but receive the grace? Adam was one who did not know what he had till it was gone. I do not believe the bible tells us if he and Eve strongly took up worshipping God after the garden.

Debra Pearl
          Participant

Adam’a sin is like our own. It stems from unbelief in what God says to always be true and our failure to follow Him in everything

Steve Osmun
            Participant

Adam may have thought himself equal to God over time and removed the bounders by his own authority and ate the apple and sinned. How much more fallen man plays God. Man thinks himself right in his own sight.

bchiagouris
        Participant

I think Adam, like all of us have free will to make choices to follow God, obey and love Him or leave the nest. It is difficult to understand why Adam would desire something else when he had it all. Nevertheless, Satan deceived Eve and Adam both, just like we are deceived at times in our lives and stray from God’s perfect will. Thank God for His Grace.

Shannon Cook
          Participant

Satan made Adam believe there was more to have. You provide clarity here, thank you.

patriciakuhn
        Participant

I agree. Imagine if everything was perfect in life and to live in the beautiful earth that God created. What more could you want?

George Cook
        Participant

I think Adam was deceived. God gave free will.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

Only God can give us these things, no one else!

patriciakuhn
        Participant

True, but so many times we try to get these things for ourselves. And what a disaster that can be sometimes!

Steve Osmun
      Participant

How blessed we are to have the Holy Bible for guidance.

Sally Orwig
      Participant

Hi I agree with you we are all inadequate in what we believe. We have to remember that Abraham was the father of us all. I love the book of Genesis, for God wanted man to enjoy Him and what he had to offer in his earth that he created.

Shannon Cook
      Participant

I found it interesting that we all tend to seek righteousness, peace and joy. I know I never truly experienced any of the three until I let go, just as Jacob did.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2: While Genesis is all about man, Exodus is all about God. It centers around four events. (1) The Passover. (2) crossing the red Sea. (3) God giving the law to Moses at Mt. Sinai. (4) the building of the tabernacle in their camp.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

God supplied and continually supplies everything that is required to be acceptable to Him and showed Israel how to approach, or rather honor. Respect, worship and obey Him

Eleanor McAdams
        Participant

Isn’t it great to know that God will equip us to do what he has called us to do, and that we do not and cannot do it in our own strength.

Steve Osmun
          Participant

A great example of God equipping his people , He provided Moses with the workmen whom He would skill to build His tabernacle.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

It is interesting to think about the context of these (4) events. As a young boy, the household I grew up in was one where religion was not a high priority. The bible was never talked about nor did we study it. I have heard of the term – Passover of course. Learning the meaning behind this was very enlightening.

Cheryldoerfel
        Participant

I did not grow up going to church either. I remember going to a wake with my parents and asked what we were supposed to do when we went up to the casket. My mom told me to say the Lord’s Prayer, but I did not know it; I had never heard it. Funny that she assumed I did.

Eleanor McAdams
          Participant

Aren’t you glad that you are in a time of understanding the word without fear. I don’t think people in the past had nearly the understanding of the word and our relationship with God as our generation has.

MeriLynn
            Participant

I’m not sure the “world” of the past had the fears that we do… we know so much more of what’s going on in the world now than did my grandparents and great-grandparents. They were not especially religious either, but just assumed that if they worked hard that everything would be okay. They believed that God was in control and it was pointless to worry about what was happening outside of their tiny town.

Eleanor McAdams
      Participant

As the teacher said in the beginning the stories come t life for us as we understand them all. When he mention the part about “when God wants to change the world he starts with a baby. I could feel the tenderness of God in that statement, and his love for us. It just opened up my heart another layer to his mercy and grace, and most of all his love for me.

Steve Osmun
      Participant

God almighty being God almighty and parting the Red Sea, Moses said fear ye not stand still and see the salvation of the Lord. Israel is delivered from Egypt. God gets honor upon Pharaoh his chariots and horsemen and Egypt shall known the God is the Lord.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

In relation to the tabernacle and temple, I loved the way he explained that our bodies are now the temples of God and therefore; we are never out of church.

George Cook
      Participant

I thought that it was interesting that the Pharos hired baby Moses’s mother to take care of him. In a time when all male babies were being killed, it is a miracle Moses survived.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 3: Leviticus is about God’s guide to Israel as to how to live holy unto Him. The ceremonies and offerings are shadows and pictures of jesus Christ and how He heals the human heart.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

So true. It amazes me that God would go to such intricate lengths to reveal to us our brokenness and then love us so much to become that sacrifice that He so intricately demenstrates in the this book. He truly wants us to Wholly His!

Steve Osmun
        Participant

Quote Debra Pearl “Wholly His” cute cute cute. How blessed we are that we have the Holy Spirit to help us to have the best possible relationship with our Savior.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I totally agree with this. It is amazing to think about incredible God is and how much he loves us. Man originally turns his back on God and original sin occurs. Not once did he turn his back on man. From that point on, God lays out a plan and a process for our eternal salvation. He truly wants us to be whole because He is whole.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I liked the Hebrew tenses: You were mine, you are mine, you will be mine. God wants us to be his. How encouraging it is to know.

Eleanor McAdams
        Participant

Not only is it encouraging to know, but it is peaceful to know. I bask in his peace that passes all understanding.

Steve Osmun
      Participant

Levites acted as Gods priests preforming their duties according to Gods mandates that the nation Israel be holy before God. For He had set them apart to be His own and God provided them that avenue to be in their best possible relationship with Him. Jesus said if you love me, obey me. Our first best option ??

Eleanor McAdams
        Participant

God is our only option. Isn’t it great that he sets us apart for himself.

Sally Orwig
      Participant

Hi Cooper, Yes you are right. I think that God gave the Israelites the laws to show that Jesus would come after the new Covenant was made. He is a god of all people and I think that sometimes those that are not Christian have a hard time understanding that.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

And, he works with all our brokenness to make us whole.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 4: Numbers teaches us to trust God instead of ourselves. We have to believe that God knows what he is doing. In spite of our failures God will protect and d.eliver us

David Ocheltree
      Participant

This is a powerful and hard lesson to learn. It can be easy to think that maybe we know what is best or maybe we have a correct understanding of things. Unfortunately, this is where we should be trusting in God like you said instead of ourselves.

Steve Osmun
        Participant

His mercies are new every morning thank goodness. Given free will i choose Gods will, again thank goodness His mercies are new every morning

Steve Osmun
      Participant

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, acknowledge Him in all your ways and He shall guide your path. Put ourselves in His hands, pray for His will and do the best we can.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

The biggest struggle is to learn to believe that God knows what he is talking about and that what he tells us is the truth, and that it is for our good, and to operate on that basis despite what people may believe.

Sally Orwig
        Participant

It is very hard for us to trust God. I think we struggle with it on a daily basis. I know I do. I trust in my own understanding and not His alone. I have to keep reminding myself that it is He that made me and not me myself and I. I think this is what the Israelites were going through in the wilderness. Always wanting what they wanted and not relying on God to protect them and provide for them.

patriciakuhn
          Participant

I agree with you Sally that it is hard to totally trust God instead of relying on yourself. I was on my own at a very young age. Had I relied on God more than I relied on myself, my life would have been a lot easier.

larryrichman
      Participant

What I found was we are never so strong, that we don’t need GOD.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

Yes, must remember that we did not create ourself-God created us and we must trust in him.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 5: Deuteronomy was the last book Moses wrote. he divided the book into three divisions. (1) review of God’s love and care of Israel in the wilderness. (2) A review of the Ten Commandments. (3) A revelation of the future of Israel including both blessings and curses.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I did enjoy this lecture. One part that did resonate with me was the first division that you mentioned. The fact that there was a review of God’s love and care of Israel in the wilderness. I was envisioning that scene of all those people wandering around in the desert for 40 years. Their diet consisted of the exact same thing day in and day out for that entire 40 year period. It is possible to think that some people might get tired and agitated. In those moments, I can see it very crucial to review God’s love for his people.

Cheryldoerfel
        Participant

We need to constantly remember the things God has done for us, to keep us from grumbling and being unthankful for what we do have.

Sally Orwig
          Participant

Hi Cheryl, You are so right in what you say. We always have to remember to connect the New Testament to the Old Testament. And Jesus taught us that.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

This was at the end of forty years of wandering in the wilderness which reminded them of all God had done on this journey.

larryrichman
      Participant

The theme of man’s utter weakness and inability, show’s us how much we need our
      Daddy.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6: Joshua provides patterns and metaphors that we can apply to spiritual battles in our lives, churches, and governments.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

This lecture was very enjoyable especially the part about the battle of Jericho. I was envisioning an Army of men walking around a massive walled off city in harsh conditions. The weather was probably unforgivable and the odds were not stacked in their favor. As they kept walking they would see this massive wall that did not seem to have any weaknesses. I can imagine what maybe some of those internal conversations were like as well. The thought of overwhelming odds against you, very little supplies and unforgivable weather could bring about self doubt and a lack of focus.

Despite all of these factors, they walked around the problem (Jericho) for six days. By the seventh day their attitudes had eventually changed. Once the attitudes had shifted the problem ceased to exist. This concept is truly amazing when you think about it. A change in one’s attitude can bring down the walls of any problem.

Cheryldoerfel
        Participant

There’s the obedience when life doesn’t make sense, and see what God will do.

larryrichman
        Participant

David I agree. With Faith will can move mountain’s and tear down wall’s.

Kyle Farrell
        Participant

Faith and obedience, God knew they would need 6 days to get his message. Took the Israelite’s 40 years even though the enemies hearts were defeated long before that. How often do we need that reminder??

patriciakuhn
          Participant

More often than I want to admit!

larryrichman
      Participant

I think it’s amazing that Joshua name mean’s salvation.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 7: Judges and Joshua both take place in Canaan. judges is the book of defeat and failure while Joshua is the book of the Spirit filled life.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  coopertlc123.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I did enjoy this lecture about the book of Judges. It made me think about what happens in my life when I think everything has all gone wrong? Where did everything go bad? I have never known what happened. Looking back over these situations they never seemed to be situations that I could control.

Now that I go back and analyze those situations in my life, I can honestly say that I was not taking God seriously in those events. These situations were I decided not to take God serious led to my moral collapse. It is very interesting to look back over these situations now and analyzing those specific defeats.

larryrichman
        Participant

I think you’re right David. It seam’s like when I get off track, things fall apart.

patriciakuhn
        Participant

I agree about not taking God seriously sometimes, but also, I was like the people in Judges; I was doing what was right in my own eyes, not what God would want me to do.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

It is a great warning to us all to not allow even a little of the world to infiltrate into our lives

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

A good reminder to always be on guard against the enemy, the crouching lion seeking to destroy.

larryrichman
        Participant

I think it’s amazing that Joshua name mean’s salvation.
        Judges is a story of a deteriorating nation. Look where we are help us Lord!!!

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

Judges is a book of both defeat and of failure.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 8 Ruth has always been one of my favorite books. I guess I am a romantic at heart

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I did enjoy the book of Ruth and the theme about romance. One of the main takeaways that really stuck with me was the direct correlation to Jesus Christ. I thought about the meeting of Ruth and Boaz and how there was a comparison to meeting Jesus. This compared the guilty sinner of meeting Jesus. He may be a stranger to us but we are not strangers to him.

Sally Orwig
        Participant

David, I like your response that you gave. The correlation to Jesus is that Ruth was a descendent of Jesus. She also came from the line of King David. And you are right we are not strangers to him. He knows even the very number of hairs on our heads. Amen

Cameron Farrell
        Participant

The existence of God is a matter that rests wholly upon the innate revelation given to the human heart.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

There were so many things in this lecture that I never heard before. First, the meanings of the names was very interesting. Another example was Naomi and Ruth going to Bethlehem because they heard that there was bread there. Then Bethlehem ends up being the place where God gave his people the bread of life, Jesus.

larryrichman
        Participant

Cheryl, How is it that Bethlehem mean’s bread. Everything in God’s World is connected some how, some where. We have to Keep our eye’s and ear’s open. We Never Know What God’s Plan’s are for us.

Cheryldoerfel
          Participant

I thought Mr. Stedman said that Bethlehem meant bread. I googled it and it said it means ‘house of bread’ or ‘house of meat.’

Sally Orwig
        Participant

hi Cheryl, Yes you are right. And Ruth was a desendent of Jesus. That is what interested me. I love this story of Ruth. It is one of my favorites. When she tells Naomi where you go I will go your people will be my people your God my God. She is giving up everything she had in Moab to take on a new God and a new place to live. I can relate to her so much. I go back to this story time and time again for refreshment and renewal.

larryrichman
      Participant

Coopertic123 I guess I am also, It a story of Love by doing the right thing. Just thing how lucky we are. Love you Jesus.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 9 Samuel could be titled, Samuel, David and Saul with Saul walking in the flesh, David in the Spirit, and Samuel as their conscience being revealed through him from God.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

This was a great lecture. I really did enjoy learning about the story about Saul. This is something that I have never really understood before now. Listening to the lecture and reading the chapter, it was easy to visualize these men as the story unfolded.

The story that stuck with me was that of Saul. You see such a stark contrast from that of David’s story. Saul listened to the word of the Lord but then again he only listened to what he wanted to hear. When he did this he spared some animals and said that the Lord would be pleased. I know that I have been guilty of listening to what I want to hear and simply come up with some excuse to justify my actions.

Cheryldoerfel
        Participant

And then there was Hannah. She was infertile like the spiritual state of Israel. She was humble. God raises up the lowly, like Hannah, and puts down the proud, like Saul.

larryrichman
          Participant

Cheryl; that shows us that if we want something bad enough! Watch out you will get. But Beware it might not be good!

larryrichman
        Participant

What I learned in Samuel 1 was Saul was the flesh\death; David is the Spirt. There seems to always have a beginning and end in the bible. Thanks David.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 10 Continues Samuel but focuses on the life of David who reigned over only Judah for the first seven years of his being King. David’s sins and god’s punishments are also covered.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I really enjoyed this lecture along with the ability to look at these situations in my own eyes. I really enjoyed the aspect of King David’s life lessons and ultimately learning that if you are pure in heart and see everything in the proper light, you will discover that God is this way to you. Ultimately this will bring purity and light into your own soul.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

David’s life is an example of the many battles we face in our own lives

larryrichman
        Participant

Your right Debra, When David praised God he did the thing that where thought not able. and with double sin he brought darkness on his Kingdom and Death!!!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I found the early desires of David interesting. Things that he thought would please God, like bringing back the ark of the covenant, and building the temple, were good things, but not God’s plan.

larryrichman
        Participant

Cheryl and by not having the Levites move the ark Uzzah was struck down. lesson is to follow Gods plan.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 11: Solomon was the beginning of the downfall of Israel. He began the slow slowly by intermarriage with the king of Egypt’s daughter and escalates from their. He ended up worshipping idols. Pretty dumb for the smartest man that ever was and ever will be.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

It is amazing to think about the decisions we make. Solomon was considered to be one of the smartest men ever and yet made some terrible decisions. I think the term of ‘common sense’ is improperly used. I do not think it is that common. In fact, it is actually very uncommon and those that actually have it stand out from the rest of their peers. Common sense is more of a super power very similar to the wisdom that Solomon had. Unfortunately, not enough people exercise it.

larryrichman
        Participant

David God doesn’t move threw earthquakes and fire and thunder But in the still of a small voice. Rev.3 20

larryrichman
      Participant

Coopertic123 I think our right This a story on how to lose a kingdom.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 12: The northern kingdom, ruled by Jeroboam, never returned to God nor did they ever have a Godly king. For the north and the south, the prosperity of the people was directly related to the king’s acceptance or refusal to worship God.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The people followed the king. His belief or disbelief in God determined how the nation went. It’s the same with us. In our kingdom, our will is king. What our will does determines what our lives will be like.

larryrichman
        Participant

This a story of a wasteful life built on straw , wood and stubble

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 13: David’s attempt to move the ark on the cart was a grave his-calculation on his part. Stedman sees it as a mistake resulting from David’s zeal and enthusiasm. Perhaps! I kind of think his ego and over confidence played a larger role in his decision. god had to humble him afterward.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

This was a wonderful lecture. I can think back over my life an remember times when I become over confident and complacent within my actions. Allowing my ego to enter the scenario eventually ended in failure similar to David. This is a wonderful lesson that I have had to learn on more than one occasion.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It seemed unfair that Uzza had to die, but it shows that God had a way for the ark to be moved and his ways need to be followed. David must have felt the responsibility for his death and thought, “What am I doing?” Our actions have consequences and affect those around us.

larryrichman
      Participant

God never win’s his battle’s by numbers, it is by quality

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 14: The temple in 2 Chronicles represents our own bodies being the temple of God. This opposed to the mobile tabernacle, provides a permanent relationship opportunity with God that can stay constant and give is 24…7 access to god.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

This was a very enjoyable lecture. The way you described our bodies being a temple of God was very interesting. To be honest, I have never looked at this quite like that before. It makes sense because from the beginning of the history of man; man was created in the image of God. Walking in the light of God and down the path he has provided allows us a continuous relationship with our creator.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

And living with the Spirit in our temple and in control of our will leads to victory, rejoicing, prosperity, blessing, and joy, which leads to others seeing the Spirit in us.

larryrichman
        Participant

Don’t try to fight the flesh/ Believe stand still and GOD will fight your battles.

larryrichman
          Participant

We need to keep minds on GOD and we will stay in perfect peace.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 15: The rebuilding the temple is compared to how God works with a heart that has fallen into sin. Ezra focuses upon rebuilding that temple.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

This was a great lecture for me. I was imagining what was happening in the city of Jerusalem during this time during the construction of the Temple. Judah was facing extreme opposition. Time and time again Judah and his small group of Jews (that were once exiled) were oppressed by the armies for such a long time. I know that it could have been difficult to focus on a positive attitude during that time. Time and time again where you try to accomplish something and someone stands in your way. The words of God were what provided encouragement for these people during these trying times.

larryrichman
      Participant

This lecture shows me how GOD owns us spirt and soul and we clean by the high priest Jesus

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 16: Nehemiah focused upon rebuilding the walls which represent the Christian rebuilding his strength with his relationship with God. This process requires concern, confession, commitment, and courage. The meaning of the names of the gates is further validation of this process.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Concern about the ruin requires you to take a good look at the ruins in your own life. Compare what you could be under God and what you are.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 17: The thought of each of us being a King and so instructed in the old testament is an awesome thought. We are kings of our own will and as we obey or disobey God, our lives will reflect those decisions.

larryrichman
      Participant

We can’t rebuild our life until we weed and straighten our life.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 18: Job is proof that bad things do not always happen as a result of sin. I don’t understand how Satan was able to get to God. I thought he was cast out of heaven in Genesis.

PBob
      Participant

I wondered that too.

larryrichman
        Participant

It looks like a play. The battle between God and Satan. Satan thought he control Job. But in the end Job was rewarded with double.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Lesson-18- Job – the Hardest Lesson

This book address the age old question, “why do bad things happen to good people”? The ultimate answer is that it is beyond our knowledge to be able to understand God’s purposes and it is up to us to have faith that God is in control and He has our best interest and the best interest of us all. He has all wisdom and knowledge and since we can not know all we will not have what it takes to see the whole picture … not in this world.

larryrichman
      Participant

Suffering sometimes brings good for those who love God.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 19: I always thought David wrote all the psalms. Moses, Solomon, the sons of Korah, Asaph and even King Hezekiah all had a hand in writing the Psalms.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 20: There were no actual proverbs written until chapter 10. Proverbs expresses the conclusion of the will of man, or about the choices of lofe that we have to make.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 21: I had no idea that Ecclesiastes reflects only a human point of view and has no divine point of view. it was divinely inspired but is filled with human error in decisions. It ends well in saying that everything in life is vanity without God being the central focus of your life.

PBob
      Participant

Me too Tom

larryrichman
      Participant

I how right coopert123. Hedonism-the pursuit of a good time.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 22: Song of Solomon is quite unique as to how it compares and relates a relationship between a man and his wife to a relationship between man and God. The love shown by God toward man is all most overwhelming. This is certainly something to read when you have moments of spiritual insecurity.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

It is such a warm reminder that God does love us more than we can comprehend. And although we may never know this kind of love on this earth we have this in our Lord!

PBob
    Participant

Lesson 1-11 Ray Stedman does a great job of bringing the Old Testament alive by relating it to our own lives today and how it relates to and leads to the New Testament. If you have the time I would highly recommend reading or listening to each chapter of the Bible before the lessons. Blue Letter had to remove this class so the test after each lesson is gone. I got half way through the first of his 3 classes and now am switching gears to finish the next 11 without tests. Fortunately, there is a website with his lessons and more just no tests or final exams so it is time to write papers again….oh boy!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I am really enjoying seeing how the Old and New Testaments are so connected, foreshadowing and types and all that stuff.

PBob
    Participant

: Lesson 12 2Kings A wasted Life documents the decline of the kingdoms. Once again Stedman points out the lesson for us. Follow God or suffer decline. God tries to stop us in our stubborn deliberate ways, yet we go ahead. God will not stop us. Your will not mine!!

David Ocheltree
      Participant

This was a fantastic lecture. Earlier in my life I never really understood why is it that God gave man free will. This book (2 Kings), makes this very clear.

God wants nothing but the best for everyone. When someone willfully disobeys Him then negative things are going to happen. God has laid out a path for everyone to join him in paradise. What we are to required to do is accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior and walk in obedience in his teachings. That is all we have to do in order to join Him. Man has the ability to exercise free will. If man decides on their own to not obey what has been clearly outlined for them; it makes sense for negativity to follow.

PBob
    Participant

: lesson 13 1 CHRONICLES: David and the Ark of God I like how Stedman puts the genealogy that usually seems like “blah blah blah” into perspective. God is choosing and selecting, excluding and including, working toward an ultimate goal. He includes a man whenever he finds an obedient
    heart. Wherever there is an obedient heart God begins a new line with him. Wherever disobedience occurs, that name is dropped.
    The lesson for us is obedience to God. “You are not your own, you are bought with a price” {1 Cor 6:19b-20a RSV} You belong to the Lord and he becomes King in your life.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I really did enjoy how Stedman discussed this fact. No matter how many times I have read this chapter or others that cover genealogy; it always seems like I am reading the same thing over and over again. I agree with you on the “blah blah blah” comment. I never really understood what the point of listing out ones family tree was.

Understanding how God is choosing, selecting , excluding and including; working toward an ultimate goal. This paints a much clearer picture when reading this chapter.

PBob
    Participant

: Lesson 14 2 CHRONICLES: God’s King in God’s House
    This book gives us a picture of God’s king walking in the light of God’s house. That is the secret of blessing in the kingdom.
    This book teaches us about starting over..being “born again”.
    God is fully available to you if you are prepared to be fully available to him.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

This was a very enjoyable lecture. It is clearly laid out for us to understand that God is a loving and compassionate Lord and Father. He ultimately wants each and every one of us to join Him in salvation.

I really enjoyed your point that you made in your post. The operative word is ‘If’. This whole process of being able to join Him in salvation occurs ‘If’, you are prepared to be fully available to him and accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.

PBob
    Participant

Lesson 15 EZRA: The Way Back
    Ezra is a picture for us of the work of God in the restoration of a heart that has fallen into sin and how God works when he sets about to restore man’s heart. Return from sin is always the work of God’s grace. No one, after falling into a sinful experience would ever come back to Christ unless God brought him back. Our relationship with God comes first and God will take care of how, why and when the work gets done restoring us. It is God’s work not ours.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I enjoyed this lecture and how it can be applied to people today. The part that I really enjoyed is the lesson that we are supposed to take what God says about sin seriously. Despite the construction of the Temple of Jerusalem, the law of God was required to be enforced. Many of the priests and Levites had married foreign women. Ezra was upset because no one did anything about this sin. The lesson is sin is a big deal and should make us feel ashamed and embarrased just like Ezra. When we are wrong, we should confess our sins to God and repent.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Yes, what a beautiful reminder that if we seek first His kingdom and His righteousness God will keep us and work through us. It is all Him. Our hearts will be restored when we sin because God calls us back and when we reject the world and worship and serve Him, we will be used by Him.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I can’t imagine what it was like for those who had seen the temple in its glory and then saw it after it was destroyed. The task of rebuilding would seem impossible, but that’s what God does.

PBob
    Participant

Lesson 16 NEHEMIAH: Rebuilding the Walls
    Ezra, Nehemiah and Ester all cover the same general time in Israel’s history. The steps to restoring or rebuilding our lives starts with a concern, followed by confession and then commitment. Sounds like the foundation for a 12 step recovery program. I find the 10 gates to be very interesting especially the Water Gate that did not need restored just reinhabited. Interesting how we see the persecution just as we experience when we start to rebuild our lives. It is the same today as it was then. But that is a whole other story.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Yes, I found the gates to be fascinating, their names, their purposes and how they relate to the Christian life.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

When your walls are broken your defenses hardly exist and it’s easy to fall into temptation. Boundaries help to keep us safe and out of trouble.

PBob
    Participant

Lesson 17: ESTHER: A Queen Under Control
    Stedman points out that Esther pictures the renewed
    Spirit that is given to man when he becomes a Christian, when he is regenerated, when his spirit is made alive in Jesus Christ.
    This book is about the way God works to get the wrong man out of control and the right man in. Stedman points out again that the reason we have problems as Christians-even after being born again-is that the flesh subtly and cleverly opposes all that God attempts to do in our lives. If we think that we can handle the flesh with our will-power alone, we are whipped. Fullness of Spirit—The Spirit is received, the Spirit is resisted, the spirit is grieved, the Spirit is quenched and now we have the Fullness of Spirit. We discover that the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus lifts us up and gives us victory and power in the place where we were once defeated. And I thought this was just a cool story about a Jewish girl saving her fellow Jews. Who knew??

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Yes, Who knew this would be so much more than a cool story about a Jewish girl saving her Jewish people from doom. Well said.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It’s like reading Shakespeare. When I read it myself I don’t get too much, but when someone explains it too me it seems obvious.

PBob
    Participant

Lesson 18: JOB: The Hardest Question
    Going through the book of Job I was feeling depressed over his helplessness and frustration in his circumstances. Good lesson to learn that it is not always our sin that causes suffering and that we must trust in God’s wisdom and greater purpose for our lives. We must keep up our constant guard to protect us from attacks by Satan. Stedman makes a good point, “Out of the dark, deep distress of this man come these cries which find their fulfillment in the coming of Jesus Christ. He came to be mediator. He came to give assurance that man shall live again. He came to stand between man and God. He came to stand in the flesh upon the earth that man might see him face-to-face.”
    Only God has the right to use men for whatever purpose He desires. “God, take my will and my life and guide me to do your will for me!”

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Amen, and me as well!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It was a good reminder that God doesn’t exist for us, we exist for Him.

PBob
    Participant

Lesson 19: PSALMS: The Worship of an Honest Heart
    I always have trouble reading the psalms. I am going to read them again after learning more about them in this lesson. Stedman points out that they are a book of human emotions. The psalms are designed to teach us to do one thing—Worship!! This book teaches us to be honest with God. If you have a problem, tell HIM about it. If you are angry with God or upset about something he has done—-tell him! If you are resentful, bring it on. If you are happy and glad, express that. “Where
    sin abounds, grace abounds much more. And that is the purpose of the psalms: to bring us to grace”. Thank You God!

Debra Pearl
      Participant

I find that I haven’t read the book of Psalms very much myself. Knowing that these are the praise songs of their day and the fact that
      Stedman pointed out the purpose of the Psalms is to express our emotions and to help us in our worship should be helpful

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I also thought some of the Psalms are easy to relate to and some not so much. It will be interesting to look for these things that I didn’t notice before.

PBob
    Participant

Lesson 20 PROVERBS: That Men May Know Wisdom
    In Proverbs we have the appeal to the will of man and the conclusion of the will; therefore this book is all about the things man should decide, the choices of life. Proverbs first 6 verses are a brief introductory preface followed by ten from a father to his son. Then we have several chapters from the wise guy Solomon, king of Israel and son of David. Chapter 25 begins a collection added after Solomon’s death, copied down by the men of Hezekiah, the king of Judah. The whole lesson of this book is that our own reason and wisdom are never enough. We must remember when reading that God looks at every man as a king; therefore this is about us. God sees us a kings over the kingdom of our own lives.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

We can all use more wisdom!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It helped me to think of Proverbs as lessons in decision making.

PBob
    Participant

Lesson 21: ECCLESIASTES: The Inspired Book of Error
    I think I never took the time to see what this book is all about. Stedman points out that this is the only book in the Bible that reflects a human, rather than a divine point of view. Solomon, in Ecclesiastes sets forth life from the standpoint of the natural man apart from divine revelation. A book not to quote from until his final conclusion at the end…everything is vanity unless you put God in the center of life.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Interesting how each chapter pointed outa different type of lifestyle that men take to try to achieve success in life yet without God it is all a waste

Cheryldoerfel
        Participant

Yes, those divisions and names really help to understand this book.

PBob
    Participant

Lesson 22: SONG OF SOLOMON: A Love Song and a Hymn
    The Song of Solomon about Love and how it touches us emotionally and spiritually and how God made us that way. The message here is that Christ is so tremendous, so mighty, and so magnificent, that the heart that has fallen in love with him will never be able to fully plumb the depths of his love, concern and care. The object Christ is greater than the heart.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Truly magnificent that One would love so greatly and purely. We have Him and He has us.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I like how it is described as the springtime of life, and that it lies in the future, in Christ’s return. Hope.

garyslavin
    Keymaster

test

PBob
      Participant

test worked

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 1: Genesis; The Method of Faith. The main message of Genesis is “man’s inadequacy without God”. We cannot be the complete human we were created to be without God. In fact, Adam was that person before he sinned and Jesus was that person and is that person. We were created for perfect union with God and through Him we were to be soveriegn over the earth. Man’s failure is seen through Noah, Abraham,Isaac, Jacob and Joseph I their struggle of seeking after things instead of seeking after Righteousness, joy and peace in the Holy Spirit.
    I love how Stedman points out How Adam must have been at creation before the fall, pointing out that he must have had tremendous power and knowledge and known the secrets of nature. He points out that Jesus shows us all this by the power and miracles He had while on earth. He said that that was how man was intended to be. That is how God intended for us to be… It leaves me breathless!

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I enjoyed reading your comments about the lesson. It is truly amazing when you think about this total concept ‘man’s inadequacy without God’. So like you said we are nothing without God.

The part that stuck with me during the lesson was the actual focus on the different types of studies (sciences). It is very easy for me to process scientific information and yet difficult to something I cannot see (i.e. faith). Over the last few decades, my life has been spent in the hard sciences. What is truly amazing is how Genesis begins. The very beginning there are explanations for questions that experts have never been able to explain. Where do we come from? How does this all work? This is so fascinating when you really think about this for a moment. The absolute greatest minds of our time cannot explain or even come to a common answer to these questions. This just solidifies the overall theme of this entire lesson. Without God, man is truly inadequate.

Cheryldoerfel
        Participant

A statement that stood out to me was that we cannot understand ourselves or God by studying nature.

Kyle Farrell
        Participant

The adequacy of man with God is even more amazing!

Sally Orwig
        Participant

Yes we are. And we have to remember that God is in control of all things. And God was in control when he created the earth.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Seeking after things, it makes me think how we spend part of our life collecting things and then the rest of our time getting rid of them.

MeriLynn
        Participant

Boy is that the truth, Cheryl 😄

Eleanor McAdams
    Participant

Wow this study just got me on fire. So many things came to life for me. At first it was the relationships and characters of Noah, Abraham, Jacob and Joseph. In describing Jacob the statement of wrestling with God became so much clearer to be as the spiritual fight and not the physical as what I imagined when reading the story of Jacob. All of these men represented a different relationship that we can strive for or surrender to.
    The statement of the destruction of the family life is a destruction of the foundation of the nation also hit home with me as we in that stage of decay right now and only the revival of God in this nation will be the glue that holds us together as the greatest Christian Nation in the world.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

I too saw the lives of these 5 men in a different light, each of them showing us the struggles and sorrows of forgetting about God in our lives. I’m so grateful for His mercy drawing us to Himself!

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I totally agree with your statement. I felt a sense of fire and enlightenment after that lesson. It was truly amazing to think about those (5) men and what they were searching. I found it fascinating that I was searching for those things for the majority of my life as well.

MeriLynn
      Participant

I agree, Eleanor! To see the 5 men in light of what they represented…Noah is a picture of regeneration, Abraham is justification by faith, Isaac as a beautiful sonship, Jacob the rascal as the picture of sanctification, and Joseph as the picture of glorification…was very interesting! That the family is falling along with the nation is so very sad!!

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 2: God does not leave us to our own destruction without help. He decided to supply all we needed to be restored back to Himself. Exodus is our example of redemption. He gives us a way out and then we must never go back. He teaches us who He is, His character and His requirements and then He does all He can do to dwell among us. We must beleive and follow, surrender and abide in Him

David Ocheltree
      Participant

I liked the way that you described this. Over the last few year I have been living under some very dark times. There was a constant struggle for things that I believed would bring joy and happiness. My path of self-destruction only led me towards more darkness and despair. Eventually, I finally came to my senses and came back to God. It was then that I realized that he never left me at all; it was me who left him. Once I surrendered to him as my Lord and savior, I truly had all the necessary requirements I needed for joy, peace and happiness.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

When you take that step, you move into a place where God dwells within you!

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 1: Over the last few years I have been constantly searching for all the items that were mentioned in Genesis (righteousness, joy and peace). The things that I searched for in fulfilling those voids never seemed satisfying. This is such a powerful message that struck a very personal element with me. I was feeling inadequate with who I was and my constant search in my meaning in life. Genesis outlines this perfectly in that man cannot be complete without God. There is to be no true meaning of life without the actual personal relationship with God. This is where I was failing. I should have read the story of Jacob a long time ago and it would have potentially saved me many heartaches and growing pains. Like Jacob, I have believed that I could live solely on my own wits and efforts. To a point I succeeded; however it is not a fulfilling life. It was not until I realized that God is the absolute necessary for completeness in life.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

The indwelling God is the answer to all!

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 3: Leviticus-Be Whole
    This lesson touched my heart at the length God will go to to bring His people into into wholeness. I was struck by the definition of Holy-meaning Wholeness and how God demonstrates to His people their brokenness; then separating them from the people who are in their brokenness; showing us how we can be made whole; and finally placing before us the way to go and allowing us to choose for ourselves-life or death. The basis for wholeness is blood. There must be death-giving up of our life of brokenness and to be in a personal relationship with the One who gives us life!

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Debra Pearl.

David Ocheltree
      Participant

When I read the book of Leviticus the part of blood seemed to really stand out to me. I am glad that you touched on that. Then I am also glad that it was highlighted in the lesson as well. It makes total sense in that we cannot be saved by our actions alone. We are to give up the old in order to accept the new.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Understanding holiness as wholeness makes things easier to understand.

larryrichman
      Participant

The word wholeness-is whole, the base for wholeness is blood. Thank you.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

And Psalms 29:2, talks about the beauty of holiness. Being complete would be beautiful..

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 2: Exodus: Design for Deliverance.
    There is a main concept that runs thoughout this entire book. Genesis is all about man and Exodus is about God. Exodus is God’s answer to man’s need and God’s supply for man’s sin. I loved the story that was discussed in this lesson dealing with Napoleon. Throughout the world people were waiting for the news of what happened in a battle involving Napoleon in 1809. This battle was significant in many ways and demonstrates that we as humans look to adults as history makers. It is important to think about how God makes true change in the world. That same year Abraham Lincoln were Charles Darwin were born. This further illustrates on how different God effects changes in history. God begins with a baby in changing the course of history. Man looks to make a change in history with grown soldiers and Generals on the battlefield.

As a parent this lesson really reached out to me. It is very difficult for me to think about a baby in this capacity. I remember looking down at my daughter shortly after she was born thinking how fragile and vulnerable she was. The thought that she was going to change the face of history never crossed my mind. Time will tell what happens in the future.

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

The importance of babies in the bible rests squarely in Jesus . Hard to believe that our savior had, first steps, brothers and sisters, parents who took major steps of faith and courage, in a time when unwed pregnancy was unheard of. I marvel at the miracle of life and thank God that he has our future and our children’s futures in His hands.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

When God wants to change history He does not start with a battle, He will start with a baby.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 3: Leviticus – The Way to Wholeness

The purpose behind the book of Leviticus is to provide some instruction and guidance to a sinful yet redeemed people in their relationship with a Holy God. In previous postings I have discussed my struggles with finding fulfillment and the search for wholeness. This lesson spoke to me in how clearly it defined the word Holy and what that really means. Looking at the word Holy and how it is derived from wholeness. The meaning is as if all the parts are operating and functioning as they were designed. This is how things should be operating. We should be living in wholeness. The purpose is to live within wholeness in God. God designed us to to be living in wholeness.

Understanding this concept is truly an eye opening experience. The searching, the struggles and longing for something to fulfill a void are over. I call live my life as it was originally designed and I was truly meant to live. I can live in wholeness in God now that I understand where to seek fulfillment from.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

The word holiness means wholeness, being complete. “You shall be holy to me; for I the LORD am holy, and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be mine.”

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 4: Numbers – The Incomplete Christian Life

The book of Numbers discusses a very powerful lesson in that man is supposed to trust God over his own reason. This is something that I have struggled with personally for quite a long time. Serving in the military, I have been placed in situations that were less than pleasant at times. While on the battlefield, I saw man at their absolute best and their absolute worst. This is when I began doubting my faith and trusting my reason above that of God.

Later in the book of Numbers there is a clear description of how the Holy Spirit will never leave you. Man clearly turned his back on God and trusted in his reason far above God. Despite all of those actions the Holy Spirit was there the entire time. Understanding this concept is an extremely comforting fact when I think about how I turned my back on God. My eyes and heart have since opened to where I need to place my trust.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

I can relate to this myself. I found myself going my own rebellious way after my union with Christ and I am forever grateful that through His Spirit in me I was guided back to Him.n

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Debra Pearl.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I have to remind myself that complaining is not trusting God.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I have to remind myself at times that the Holy Spirit is always with me.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Survey 1- lesson 4: Numbers- what What struck me in this lesson is that God never gives up on His own. Through all the disobedience and complaining and rebellion, God’s Spirit was with them and He guides us and leads us. In my life I know this to be true. I am forever grateful!

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Debra Pearl.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It is so easy for me to fall into the rut of complaining. It really helps me to always look for things to be thankful for everyday, especially that God doesn’t give up on me.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 5: Deuteronomy – The Law that Delivers

The meaning behind “Deuteronomy” literally means the ‘second law’. I have read this scripture before and of course had heard of the term of Deuteronomy before. It was not until it was placed in the context that it made so much sense to me. This was the second time the law was presented before man. This part along with how we look at ourselves are what really stuck to me in this lecture. I loved the story on how we will look at ourselves differently from others. Other people might have prejudices but we have convictions. Others are stingy but we are simply thrifty. Others might be keeping up with the Jones’ we are simply trying to get ahead.

The law as it is stated is the same for everyone including ourselves. It does not really matter how we vision ourselves this is the standard that has been set forth. The part that we can take away from this is that man is complete weakness and inability without God.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Agreed, David, man is completely helpless to do anything worthy. We are more than blessed to have a great Crestor who did everything for us.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

“Even though he is cleansed to do anything in himself to please God, there is nothing he can do in himself. His sincere, dedicated efforts to please avail nothing.”

patriciakuhn
      Participant

Yes, it was interesting (and true) how we look at things differently to justify doing them.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 6: Joshua – Guidebook to Victory

The book of Joshua literally means ‘God is salvation’. There are numerous actual practical lessons that one can apply to their life today to aid them in leading a spirit filled life. The entire book of Joshua is filled with so many interesting concepts and passages that really stuck with me. There is one overall concept that is lingering in my head in how there is a direct correlation to previous chapters of the Bible.

The greatest lesson of spiritual faith is that you have no have no strength in yourself to stand, no matter how long you have walked before God. Your strength actually comes out of your weakness and your sense of dependence. Your sense of constant need of God’s strength is the only thing that will keep you.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Probably the best lesson we can learn In our walk with Christ

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

It was designed to help Christians endure the first full impact of the battle of the world, the flesh, and the devil himself.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

Yes, we need to keep remembering our constant need of God’s strength in everyday life.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Deuteronomy:Lesson 5– this is the book that gives us the second law. This is the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus. In Exodus Israel was given the written law that had to be obeyed to the letter or death resulted. Of course no one could keep this law. God knew this and already provided the way we could be made righteousness. He tells us of this way in Deuteronomy. This was fulfilled by what Christ could do for us and then offer to us. This was Him keeping the law for us, going to the cross and paying our penalty for us and then God raising Him from the dead so that we might receive the Spirit of life by believing in our heart On who Jesus is and what He has done for us. I never realized that God foretold Israel this in Deuteronomy.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 7: Judges – The Pattern of Defeat

Judges is a very interesting book within the Bible. It depicts a deteriorating nation and that of a deteriorating Christian life. Several stories are told throughout the entire book that discuss man’s disobedience towards God. The story of Othniel, Ehud, Shamgar and eventually leading up to Sampson; were all examples of how these men were victims of their own disobedience. God continues to intervene, time after time again in our lives to prevent us from these acts of disobedience.

This book spoke to me so profoundly. One of the biggest lessons that I gathered from the reading was simply that we must take God seriously. It is not enough to say that we are aware of him. If we do not take God seriously, our future will have negative consequences to include a moral collapse. I think about how this book (Judges) builds off of the previous books in the Bible. There are themes and lessons that surround each book. The book of Judges makes is no different in this aspect. It is quite clear that if you do not take God seriously there will be serious consequences.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

I have found this to be true in my life. I never realized how profound God’s lay out of the Bible leads us through our spiritual life through the order of the books of the Bible. From enslavement to deliverance to teaching and training to victory and now to earning after the victory of temptation and decline if we don it take seriously God’s directing.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The Israelites did what was right in their own eyes. They had strayed from God’s moral authority. He was no longer their king. There is nothing new under the sun.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 8: Ruth – The Romance of Redemption

The book of Ruth is actually a beautiful story of romance. There is a theme of love and romance through the entire book. One of the more fascinating aspects of this book is not merely that it is about romance, but how there are very dramatic illustrations of Christian faith. The book of Ruth literally comes alive with the stories and the characters in it.

When I learned what each main characters name really meant this book had so much more meaning to me. It was very enlightening. In the beginning you had Elimech (meaning God is king) who marries Naomi (meaning pleasure). They have two children Mahlon (meaning sick) and Chilon (means pining away). This goes on until you are introduced to Boaz (means a man of strength and wealth). The story in itself is a wonderful one, but when you think about the names and what they are going through at that time it has much more of an impact.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

I also found the meaning of each of the characters names to have the meaning they have to give much color and description of the central meaning of the story. The story of redemption.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 9: 1 Samuel – The Death of the Flesh

The book of 1 Samuel really lays out some very specific stories of faith and spiritual belief. In the scientific world this would often be referred to as case studies. These are the specific examples we can refer to with solid examples to often to refer to for further guidance.

The book tells very detailed accounts of three specific people: Saul, Samuel and David. Each one has different lessons and accounts on their actual faith.

One of the aspects that I took away from this lecture was what we can learn about God if we want something bad enough. There are often times where we will want something extremely bad and ask over and over again because this is our want or our desire. Sometimes he will actually give that want to us. But we need to understand that we must be willing to accept whatever consequences with accepting his gift. In the lecture there was a marvelous story of a little girl who kept asking her father for some ballbearing skates over and over again. Being a father, I do realize that I want to provide for my daughter would probably cave into her request as did the man in the story. The girl in the story unfortunately wore the skates and was involved in an accident where she ultimately died. The point of this is to remind us when we ask things of God and he does not respond we need to remember something. Are we asking for ballbearing skates? This is a principle that is at work in many of our lives.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

I know I have pushed to have my own way and found it to be disastrous and painful. Much better to wait on God

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

What a struggle, wondering if what your think you really want is in God’s will for you, and accepting that you might never get it, and accepting that that is God’s will. Trusting Him and having faith that He has a plan for you.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I would most likely have given in and bought the ball-bearing skates. Very sad story.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

“The secret of living in the land – includes a promise and a presence; an obedient heart and an empowered spirit” Joshua 1:6-8 tells of how Could walk in victory. To do everything according to the law; not to stray off the path even a little; and then the promise of success wherever they should go. It was a demanding command of obedience along with the promise of God’s Spirit to be with them and to bring success. This is our lesson today. To walk in His commands and to be filled with His Spirit to fulfill His will.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  Debra Pearl.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

And to know that the land is given to us, by faith and obedience.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 7: Judges/ the book that warns us of the folly we face when we do what is right in our own eyes. This book shows Israel in her decline. They didn’t take God seriously concerning their enemies and allowed the enemy to dwell among them and little by little allowed the ways of their enemies to creep into their own lives and practices. God would bring them a judge over and over to try to keep them from their folly of disobedience but they would turn their backs and they behaved worse then their fathers. Ultimately this will take them on the course of God’d intervening grace to a downward spirits of moral collapse.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  Debra Pearl.

Sally Orwig
      Participant

Debra, I agree with what you said in your statement. Time and again they were just going about being, and not relying on God.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 10: Samuel – The Story of David

The book of 2 Samuel is a book all about David. It begins with his road to dominion. This was not a quick road at all. In fact, it was not until (7) years after he assumed the throne that he was able to reign over all twelve tribes of Israel. The book delves further into worship and victory. In closing there is a description of David’s failure and ultimately God’s forgiveness.

This was such a powerful book when I read it. There was one part that really resonated with me. That was when David asked God to forgive his sins God spared his life and his relationship was fixed immediately with God. God may have forgiven him but that does not mean that those around him did. However, he was still left to deal with his evil ways and misdoings with everyone around him. From that point on David’s house would never know peace as a result of his sin.

This is such a powerful message when you think about it. There have been situations I have been involved with where people will hold onto grudges and hold ill-will towards another person for something they did over ten or twenty years ago. Those relationships are literally ruined along with those they affect. But the relationship with God has the ability for absolute forgiveness.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

The lesson of forgiveness is so true and wonderful. Also, true, we never avoid the consequences of our errors. We must be diligent to do right

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

David, with all his family problems, accepts the disappointments and keeps trusting God. How easy it is for us to not accept them and be mad at God. Without trust in God and his peace it would be horrible.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 11: 1 Kings – How to Lose a Kingdom

First Kings is a wonderful story of basically how to lose a kingdom. The entire idea and purpose of the Lord Jesus Christ coming into our lives is to give us knowledge on how we can reign in our own kingdoms within God. Ultimately, man can never have any control of his life unless he subjects himself to the dominion of God. On the opposite side, if one refuses dominion of God there is absolutely no way you can be fulfilled to be in authority of ones life.

As the books of the Old Testament read it is easy to see how you can visualize your life and situation within them. The pages literally come alive. 1 Kings is no different in this aspect. I found myself thinking about a time in my past when I made the conscious choice of thinking I could be ultimately in charge of my whole life. I had turned my back on God and religion for quite awhile. I thought I discovered peace when all I found was confusion and a lack of fulfillment in my life.

In this book of 1 Kings, the Lord became angry with Solomon for turning away from him. He ultimately sent adversaries to defeat him. The last acknowledgment of Solomon is found with him sleeping with his fathers buried within the city of David. All too often there are men and women who stray from the path of righteousness and never return. They eventually have the same result in the end as what Solomon had. I feel extremely fortunate that I have returned to the that path and have asked God for his forgiveness.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

The lesson

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Debra Pearl.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Solomon, and all of us, could benefit from a good accountability partner, or good friend, to help us see when we are treading on shaky ground.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 8-Ruth
    I found the point of the kinsman redeemer explained in a clear fashion in this lesson. Boaz is the picture of Jesus- and Ruth is a picture of those whom Jesus has redeemed.., His church. After having no hope having children because of the death of her husband, of bringing life into the earthly world, Ruth found favor in the man Boaz, who, because of the law God had set up to reveal Himself through, could redeem the widow of his relative, Ruth’s dead husband, with whom she had no children, and marry her to give her a child to carry on his name, the picture of bringing life out of death.

Also, I found it very interesting that each person’s name in this story had such significant spiritual meaning in the picturing of our spiritual life in the world – meeting Christ- and salvation- God’s provision to those who belong to Him. Elimelech -meaning ,God is King, married Naomi- meaning pleasure…this ending in death … then to ultimately be saved by her daughter-in-law, Ruth- who was the picture of true commitment, to be found to have favor in the eyes of her kinsman redeemer, the one who would bring life out of death.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

One character I’m confused about is the relative of Elimelech who passes on the opportunity to be the kinsman redeemer. If it’s such a great thing for Boaz, why isn’t it a great thing for this man?

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 12: 2 Kings – A Wasted Life

The book of 2 Kings is a very interesting read. The story of obedience and what occurs if disobedience happens is clearly laid out. This book clearly has ties to the earlier books of the Bible. Life in man alone is not what life as it was intended. Life with God is how things are designed to be with man.

If you are willing to walk obediently and yield to the Holy Spirit your life will flourish. This is how life is intended to be . There are numerous stories in the bible that depict how life was like if people followed the Holy Spirit obediently. As David was obedient in his faith, the land flourished in abundance and his kingdom was successful. The opposite is true as well. If you are willingly defiant and not wanting to follow in the Holy Spirit negative things will fall upon you. The same kind of evil that people are participating in will fall into their lives and eventually they will fall.

This book reminds me of a person that I knew not long ago. His family was very devout in their belief. Growing up he was brought up in a strong Christian household. Something occurred in his life that really tried his faith. His wife told him that she wanted a divorce. As each day passed he fell farther and farther from his Christian values. He turned to a life of sin darkness and despair. Instead of praying and attending church, he filled his days with drinking, drugs and prostitutes. He then went into a severe depressed state. Ultimately, he took his own life.

2 Kings reminds me of the path that is clearly laid out for us to follow. If we decide to disobey the Holy Spirit and walk our own path; it will eventually lead to our own demise. That is what happened in the example above.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

1Samuel- lesson 9

This is the story illustration of the lives of the carnal Christian and the Spirit led Christian, through the example of Saul as king and David as King and the prophet Samuel as the voice of the Spirit of God.

When we are carnal Chrisians we go about living as our own king and doing life the way we want it to be for ourselves instead of listening to the voice of God which leads us through the Spirit of His word, the way Saul did.

A life of faith in God being led by the Spirit and allowing God to rule as King in our lives as we yield to His way is the life of David.

One is death in the flesh and one is life in the Spirit.

Sally Orwig
      Participant

Debra that is also a good observation. We are all carnal Christians before we come to know Christ.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 13: 1 Chronicles – David and the Ark of God

The farther that I read into the Bible I am discovering there is a general theme over large portions of it. `Whatever you do, words, deeds or actions anything is possible through the Lord. This is one of the main lessons of this book.

The story of David and the Ark of God was so powerful. David was considered a man after God’s own heart. He was a man with an unbelievable obedient heart. The ark was being held captive in the Philistine city and needed to be moved to where it belonged in Jerusalem. David decided to take matters in his own hands and neglect the orders that were provided. Neglecting these orders resulted ultimately Uzzah losing his life. Tragic as death is; but it is important to remain obedient within our Lord.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Yes, and the one thing I really love about this particular incident is David learned his lesson and repented and found forgiveness and restoration with God. However, it did not take away the consequences of his action.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I never noticed before, about the tabernacle being movable. David wanted to make a permanent place for the ark by building the temple. The temple marked a new beginning. God didn’t let David build the temple, but let him plan it and collect the building materials.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 14: 2 Chronicles – God’s King in God’s House

The book of 2 Chronicles is all about the house of David. It paints a very vivid picture that follow the course of the kings of Judah, the actual descendants of David. One powerful take away I had from this lecture was that this book gives us a picture of God kings walking in the light of God’s house. This is the secret blessing in the kingdom.

The starts off with the reign of King Solomon after the death of his father (King David). King Solomon humbly asks for wisdom to rule. God was so impressed by this request that not only does he grant it but he grants him major wealth. King Solomon walked in a very obedient life with God. Because of this, it is often considered that Solomon was one of the smartest and richest kings alive.

Things are completely different after Solomon dies and his son Rehoboam takes over. Under his rule, the nation of Israel fractures into two different countries. Rehoboam and the rest of David’s ancestors rule the Southern Kingdom. Jeroboam takes charge of the Northern Kingdom. Instead of walking in the light of God’s house the kings take a very different path. The path involves idol worship, murder and flat out being an incompetent leader. The land of God (Jerusalem) was up to this point protected land. Due to their disobedient ways, He allows the Babylonian empire to invade Jerusalem.

It is a powerful lesson that is presented before us. If we follow in the light of God’s house and walk the path that he has provided we can look forward to a life of prosperity. However if we decide to willfully disobey the Father, punishment is what we will be looking forward to.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

It was a very powerful lesson. It should put the fear of God in us all. We should be diligent not to allow any darkness in.

David Ocheltree
    Participant

Lesson 15: Ezra – The Way Back

The book of Ezra was actually written by Ezra and is a historical narrative that occurs around 440 B.C. and somewhere around 450 B.C.

Ezra begins with a small group of Jews returning to the city of Jerusalem and immediately planning on constructing a new temple. They begin the planning, gathering the necessary materials, and physically begin the construction. The local armies are not exactly pleased with this and do everything in their power to suppress their efforts. Regardless of these actions, the small group of Jews end up completing their task. It took them twenty years to do it – but they did.

The last portion of the book involves another group of people returning to Israel; Ezra was included in this group. The mission of Ezra paints the picture of the struggles he faced as he tried to teach the Law. There were problems with trying to purify the Jews from what was referred to as a sin of marriage with non-Jews.

This is a wonderful book when you think about how this book actually helps people today. Ezra gives us an account of the return of some people to Jerusalem. Think about this for a moment. This group had been placed in exile for 70 years. In my humble opinion there are some really good lessons we can learn from this book.

The first is that we should look to God’s promises in our future. King Cyrus released Judah just as the prophets said it would happen. The second is that we should continue to look for encouragement within God’s words. Judah faced opposition as they built the temple, but would be encouraged by God’s words. The third is to be passionate about God’s word. Ezra had a sincere passion and desire for God’s word. We should strive to have a heart similar to that of Ezra.

Debra Pearl
      Participant

Yes, this is a great reminder of knowing and living our God word in our lives. God worked through Ezra, who was faithful to teach and live out God’s commands. I also got a lot from this reading.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 10–2 Samuel – Stedman tells us that this book relates to us in a way that we should see ourselves in the “place of Reign”. That, we are kings over the kingdom of our will and, the kingdom is how our life is reigned by our will. Do we allow ourselves to follow after God or do we allow the enemies from without and within to undermine and overthrow our rule and dominion God intends us to have as we learn to reign in life by Jesus?

Sally Orwig
      Participant

Wow very insightful observation. We must align our will with Gods will.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 11- 1 Chronicles. Stedman points out that when David brought the ark back from the captivity of the Philistines he did not return it to the tabernacle, where it preciously and originally came from, but rather brought it to Jerusalem, the city of the king. This is a represenatation of the change in each of our lives when we have Christ as Lord in our lives, represented by the tabernacle in the point that we are wandering in the wilderness and going thru our life where He is not sitting on the throne of our lives and then we come to a point when we allow the kingship of Christ to rule and reign in our lives. This is represented by the ark being in the city of the king, Christ is now King in our life.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 11- 1 Kings – the main theme in this book is, where the heart and will goes so goes the life. If we allow our heart to follow after the ungodly things our life will reap destruction. On the other side, if we follow after God and a His way we find that we are living out our life to it’s intended purpose. It is important to not allow even the smallest disobedience into our life because it can change the entire course of our life.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It makes me think of how easy it is to let bad habits slip into our lives. Or how we spend our free time. Are there better uses of our time then self-pursuits? I have so many hobbies, but do they do any good other than providing me with tranquility?

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 12 – 2 Kings – in this book Stedman comes the northern Kingdom to the fleshly part of us- the body and the self absorption we have with our body. He points out that most of our life deals with the taking care of our body.
    He then goes on to say that the southern kingdom compares to our soul. That part of us that contains our personality. In the southern kingdom keys the capital city where the Temple was located.
    The Temple is where God dwelt. The Temple represents the Spirit of God. This is the Holy of Holies meeting place where the ark of God was placed.
    Stedman makes the point that David is the King that sought after God and wanted with all his great to be obedient to His will. Even when David was disobedient he always sought after God for forgiveness and direction. This is an example to the body being controlled by the Spirit of God in the Spirit of man.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The parallels between the Old and New Testaments continue to amaze me. Elijah delivering messages of judgement to the king was like Jesus driving the money changers from the temple. Elisha’s ministry was to the individual. He performed miracles and was compassionate like Jesus.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 14 – 2 Chronicles
    This is a dramatic book of what can happen to a life that once walked in obedience to God and followed His Law and worshipped Him in faith and truth allowing what might seem an insignificant act of change in the way or place or type of worship away from what God has set for His people.
    It makes a clear picture of how some kings completely disregarded God and turned to idols then God would not be there to protect them against evil and invaders and disasters. Then when a King would come into power and turn his heart toward God and the people followed the king then God would bless and protect and side with the people.
    I love how Stedman points out that at the beginning of this book, when Solomon, who was a follower of God, then built the temple and God came down from heaven and the glory of God fills the temple like a cloud, contrasts so strongly with the ending of the book when God destroys the city with fire because the kings had completely went their own way, and God had enough. It definitely demonstrates what happens to a people who follow or abandon God and His ways.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

This book always depresses me. I always think of the glory of the temple and then the total destruction. It is so sad.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 1

The book of Genesis reveals to us the inadequacy of man without God in natural, human, and spiritual relationships. The Bible holds the key to the mystery of human life, in which science is always struggling to find answers. People think they want things, but find what they really want is righteousness, peace, and joy. Five men represent five Biblical concepts: Noah-regeneration, Abraham-justification, Isaac-sonship, Jacob-sanctification, and Joseph-glorification. Faith, as you believe it, becomes true. God is the secret of human life.

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 1 Genesis
    Love where he spoke about nations of the world are simply great family groups. When you look at the heroes of our faith you can’t help but see how not only their faith but the faith of their families shaped each ones actions and decisions. It wasn’t until they actually stepped out in faith the realization came through the indwelling of God. How much of a difference does our faith make in our families lives?

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

It always amazes me that science does not fill in the missing pieces with the answers that have been before them since God’s Creation. Can’t find answers if your not looking in the right places with the right heart.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 15-Ezra-The Way Back
    This is a book about restoration after returning to God from sin. God, by the work of grace, through the Holy Spirit, calls back the sinner. We never initiate our return to God on our own. This book is an example of the steps back to restoration.
    Step 1 – the control of the Holy Spirit through obedience to the kingship and Lordship of Jesus Christ in our lives.
    Step 2 – Cleansing = when in man’s heart we confess sin, we are washed clean from guilt and our past and we are restored back into fellowship to God.
    Ezra, after God lead, built an altar for worship and sacrifice even before the foundation of the temple. This needed to be first. After that they laid the foundation of the temple and soon they had opposition from the Samaritans, who at first acted like friendly neighbors, but then became the opposition which halted the building of the temple for another 16 years. Stedman reminds us that opposition will always come, either by the outside world or within our own hearts through philosophies and worldly desires to live for ourselves and our own satisfactions rather than for the glorifying of God.
    This is a warning that “The desires of the flesh are against the Spirit” Galatians 5:17

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Debra Pearl.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 16- Nehemiah – Rebuilding the Walls
    Stedman points out that the books -0 Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther are in reverse chronological order but are in God’s perfect order. The people were in captivity and God began to move first through Esther when she became Queen, then through Nehemiah when he build the wall needed for the security of the city and then Ezra who would build the Temple. Stedman points out that the true way back to God begins with worship, thus God places Ezra first the the Scriptures.
    In order to have the strength and protection of God we must build a type of wall in our life. We must put God in the center of our world. He is the One who will point our ruin and the need for the wall. We must make confession of our sin, we must make a commitment to God and to serve Him and keep His commands.
    We need courage to fight the enemy’s attacks when we turn our hearts toward God. We must make an honest survey of all the facts before we make any plans.
    this book is the picture of the building of the wall around the center of the city that will be the city that God will call His own.

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 2 Exodus- The symbolism and relevance in our lives today is so strong in this book. As the people complained about the bitter water after just experiencing the miracles of the Red Sea. Moses listened to God and cut down the tree and tossed it in the water. Immediately the bitterness was removed. That very same tree, the cross would immediately do the same for us and wash us clean and take away the bitterness in us. He gave us the living water that springs eternal just as he gave the Israelites.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It’s interesting to see how the Old Testament and the New are intertwined and alive. For example, the Passover is a picture of the Cross of Christ and the Red Sea is a type of your break with the world.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 17 – Esther – A Queen Under Control
    This lesson speaks of Queen Esther being “controlled’ by Mordecai her uncle, who is a picture of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Stedman says that this is a picture of the difference in one’s life of being controlled by the flesh or by the Spirit of God. Through obeying the commands of her Uncle, Esther becomes Queen of the kingdom of her captivity, Babylon. The King has appointed an evil man who hates the Jews to be second in the kingdom, but with the help and guidance of the uncle, “The Holy Spirit”, salvation is brought to the Jews when this evil man sets out to destroy them. We can easily be misled, fooled and lied to by our enemy, the enemy of our soul, which could end with our demise. On the other side of the picture, our lives can be spared, blessed and protected when we follow after the Truth.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Esther represents a renewed spirit, Mordecai, the Holy Spirit like you said, Haman represents the flesh, a desire in our hearts that’s always opposed to what God wants to do.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson-18- Job – the Hardest Lesson

This book address the age old question, “why do bad things happen to good people”? The ultimate answer is that it is beyond our knowledge to be able to understand God’s purposes and it is up to us to have faith that God is in control and He has our best interest and the best interest of us all. He has all wisdom and knowledge and since we can not know all we will not have what it takes to see the whole picture … not in this world.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

God doesn’t give Job an answer to why there is suffering and there are times when God doesn’t explain life to us.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 19 – Psalms _ the Worship of an Honest Heart

I found it interesting how Stedman divided the Psalms into 5 sections to match those of the Torah, The Five Books of Moses. There was also the division of the three books, Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes to match up with the three areas of the human soul; the emotions, the mind, and the will. And I thought the discussion of the “enemy” which is spoken about in the Psalms to be ourselves rather than any outside person was a good point. Our struggle is not against flesh and blood but rather the enemies of our soul.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  Debra Pearl.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

He described the enemy as attitudes of the flesh and philosophies of the world. How easy it is to blame others for our attitudes when they come from within.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 20 – PROVERBS – That Man May Know Wisdom

This book is all about the things man should decide, the choices of life. The Key verse being “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge[or wisdom: fools despise wisdom and instruction. (Proverbs 1:7 RSV)”
    In chapter 1, are the ten discourses to a son from his father. They begin with the child in the home, dealing with his first relationships. Then they move to the time when the child begins make his own friends and must decide who will be his friends and what types of people he will allow to influence him. Then come the young man as he grows up and leaves home.The way to success is to trust in the Lord with all your heart,
    Starting in Chapter 10 are the wisdom writings from Solomon himself. They teach who is wise and who is foolish through many examples of behavior.
    Lastly are the writings of a king whose mother taught him how to be a king and possibly the very last chapter this king giving tribute to his own mother.
    I have used Proverbs for daily devotions, as Stedman suggests, according to the day of the month. There is much to be learned in this book.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 1, Genesis- When man tries to be man without God, the result is sin.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 2, Exodus- God will never hold you responsible for feeling insufficient when He asks you to do something.

larryrichman
      Participant

I know we are so blessed that the Lord sent us the Holy Spirt (The helper) To keep us on track.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 21 – ECCLESIASTES – The Inspired Book of Error

This book basically states that no matter how you live your life, whatever approach you might takes, it is all a waste without God enthroned in the center of your life. That is THE secret of life with a satisfied heart.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

He, Solomon, tried all the ways he could think of to find meaning in life, and couldn’t find it. He needed to look outside himself, to God, for meaning.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2

In the Old Testament, God met with his people in the tabernacle, but almost all of the people were excluded from God’s presence. It was a complicated system. In the New Testament, you are the temple of God. The outer court is your flesh, the holy part is your soul, and the center, the holy place, is your Spirit. The Spirit of God dwells there.

larryrichman
      Participant

I agree. It is Great that our Father has sent us Jesus and the Holy Spirt to help us since the bar has been raised.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Lesson 22 – SONG OF SOLOMON-
    Here we are given a picture in human terms of the great and glorious love that God has toward us and that we are able to experience in Christ. A true and purely abandoned live if we would allow. This is what God has called us to and what we should cultivate moment by moment. This is how He delights in us.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Marriage permits oneness, and is a picture of a heart that’s fallen in love with Jesus, communion between man and God, Jesus and his church.

Steve Osmun
    Participant

Lesson 1: Abram believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness, Abram had faith and God manifested his faithfulness in keeping his promise to him in the birth of Issac. For without faith it is impossible to please God. Blessed is the man who believes even thought he can not see God. Ray makes the point Cain rejected God founded a civilization that ended in a flood. Evil begets evil ?? God is our answer.

larryrichman
      Participant

I agree totally, with out God we have no answer’s but with God all thing’s are possible.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 3

Leviticus is easier to understand once you get to the end and can see the whole picture. It’s purpose is to make people holy, whole, and complete. We know we are broken and want to be complete, and God reaches out to us to make us whole. He has to straighten out our hearts, minds, and attitudes. In the Old Testament God shadows for us pictures of Jesus to show us what he is going to do someday.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

Man has lost it’s way. Man was made in the image and likeness of God. When it had first came from the hand of God, man was made whole.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4

Numbers is about trusting God instead of our own reason. It covers murmuring of our circumstances, complaining of the blessings of God, and murmuring against authority. Even though we are disobedient the Holy Spirit will never leave us and gives us protection and deliverance.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Cheryldoerfel.

Steve Osmun
    Participant

Lesson 2 Ray states, when God wants to change history he doesn’t use a battle he uses a baby. Moses survived Pharaoh’s mandate to have newborn Hebrew males put to death. Jesus escaped Herod’s mandate to have two year old and younger children put to death in Jesus home town. Pharaoh feared a growing Hebrew population, Herod feared a threat to his rule. Men in power who feel a threat to that power are capable of much evil to their fellows in order to retain that power. On a spiritual note the dark powers and principalities in high places trying to derail Moses and the deliverance of Israel, and derail Jesus and our deliverance.

Steve Osmun
    Participant

Lesson 3 The Way to Wholeness Ray puts forth holiness means wholeness “you shall be holy to me for i the Lord an Holy. Lev. 20-26” i disagree with his premise, and can’t bridge the gap though word study. But i am not going to throw the baby out with the bath water, for God does make His own whole. And my opinion is just one mans opinion.

Steve Osmun
    Participant

Lesson 4 Israel complained and murmured against God and Moses. God sent them deadly serpents for their rebellion. Israel saw her faults and turned to Moses that he ask God for relief. God has Moses provide them a serpent on a pole that if they looked upon it they would live. John 3:14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness so must the Son of Man be lifted up that whosoever believes in Him may have eternal life. Our ultimate relief.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

God is able to direct us through the wilderness and lead us in the world by the guidance of His Word.

Sally Orwig
      Participant

hi Steve Yes I see what you are saying in your comment. It is as Moses was lifting up the serpent on the staff that we are high and lifted up with Jesus. It is interesting to me that time and again Ray Stedman comes back and relates the Old Testament lessons to life as we know it now.

Steve Osmun
    Participant

Lesson 5 Ray brings Paul’s writing in Romans into his narrative of the law. Romans 3:19,20 to them who are under the law: that every mouth be stopped and all the world may become guilty before God,:for by the law is the knowledge of sin. Romans 7:7 if not for the law i would not have known sin. These are some of the tenets of the Way of the Master evangelism coarse we just finished at the Vineyard BPK. Bring the unsaved to see and admit they have broken some of Gods ten commandments and how God (a good and just judge) see them in their state of having broken his law, having their own conscience convict them of sin, and if them are willing point them to the need of a Savior.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5

Two great themes, man’s utter weakness to please God and God’s abiding presence. What God demands of us He supplies. The Word is very near on your lips and in your heart.

Sally Orwig
      Participant

I agree with you on this one Cameron. They were weak. But I also see that they did not get what God was trying to tell them. Time and again he went back and had to bring them back around to his side of things.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

Yes, “a people for his own possession where he himself will dwell”.

ardisconner
    Participant

I thought it was interesting that we learn in Ezra that in order for Israel to be restored, a descendant of King David, Zerubbabel, and a descendant of the priestly line of Aaron, Ezra, were required to bring this restoration about. As the author says, the king rebuilds, the priest cleanses. Both help restore the nation of Israel. This works similarly with individuals. We as sinners need to confess our sins to cleanse us from unrighteousness to restore our relationship with God. We must be obedient to the King to remain in fellowship.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

After all the people had been through, they reverted back to their old ways and intermarried with the people around them. It was easy for them and us to slide back into our old sinful ways. They confessed their sin, changed their ways, and were welcomed back into fellowship with God. We can learn from them and do the same when we mess up.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 6

Joshua is about the the principles of our spiritual walk. First, how to enter the land, be strong and courageous, know the truth. Know there is resurrection power working to make us victorious. Crossing the Jordon River is a picture of death, but the people cross by faith and obedience to life. Second, conquest of the land. We are the first problem. We need to surrender our hearts. Major obstacles are inward problems rising out of our nature, like fear and greed. Third, there are perils and dangers to overcome in the land to remain in the place of victory. Examples are misunderstood motives, incomplete obedience, and arrogance.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

There were so many written things in this book that gave promise and were empowered!

Sally Orwig
        Participant

Cheryl, that was an interesting insight that you had to this lesson. I believe that Joshua was doing what he was told to do with the people. If God said they were to march around the city for 7 days they were going to march. I have been to Israel, and Jericho sits on a hill. It might have been a large city at one time, but when I was there 19 years ago there was not much left of the city, but I could imagine the Israelites marching around the city for 7 days straight.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 7

The Israelites did not take God seriously. A pattern kept repeating itself: sin, bondage, the people crying out to God, God saving them, and then back into sin. God told the Israelites to drive out the inhabitants of the land and they didn’t obey. They did what was right in their own eyes instead. God was not the authority in their lives anymore and they chose the gods and idolatry of the people of the land. It started slowly, with ‘small’ things, but snowballed into worse sins every time. Sin is the same in our lives. Jesus came to save us from our sins, to drive them out and separate us from them.

Sally Orwig
      Participant

Yes Cheryl I agree with what you said. And I think I stated the same thing on my response on this lesson. They just didnt get it. It was the Judges that saved them, except when the Judge died they they were back at it again.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I agree that sometimes our sinning starts out small and before we know it, it has snowballed into something much larger and worse.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 8

In the book of Ruth the characters’ names tell the story. Elimelech (My God is King) marries Naomi (pleasure). The result is Naomi’s name change to Mara, which means bitterness and death. Through grace, Ruth (beauty of humility) marries Boaz (the strong one) and they are blessed with Obed (worship).

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 9

Samuel is a human expression of the voice of God. Saul represents the man of the flesh, and David represents the man of the Spirit. I never understood why Saul hid in the baggage, but now it makes sense to me that he was trying to hide from God. He didn’t want to do what God wanted him to do, but wanted to do his own thing. He wanted to be the king of his own affairs. He wasn’t interested in God’s plans, only his own.

Sally Orwig
      Participant

Wow Cheryl that is a great observation!!!! Guess I had never looked at it that way before.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 10

David is a picture of Christ and a picture of the individual believer. Saul was an imitator but David was after God’s heart. Sincerity in serving God is not enough, things must be done God’s way. In confession, God restores David’s inner personal relationship with himself. David is forgiven for his adultery and murder but must live with the consequences of no peace in his home.

Sally Orwig
      Participant

Hi Cheryl, I agree with you. David has always been one of my heroes of the Bible. He had a hard time admitting what he had done wrong. In all of it. But God still loved him in the end. Good observation.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 11

Each of us is intended to be a king over the kingdom of our life. We need to depend on God, being submissive to his authority in our lives. Solomon’s weakness was that he was not fully committed to God. David had sin and weaknesses too, but he was committed to God in his heart and hungered for God. We need wisdom to know the difference between good and evil and it’s not always that easy to see. Bad looks good and good looks bad. God puts us in circumstances to bring these things out. Finally, orderliness, not confusion, should mark our lives. When we yield to God’s power, we are given power. We need to take seriously Prov. 4:23 which tells us to guard our hearts so that God stays our main desire.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 12

Everything focuses on the King. When Israel’s king worshipped God, things were good. When the king disobeyed God, there were droughts, famines, and invasions. The kingdom of Israel is a picture of the kingdom in our own lives. The 10 northern tribes represent the body and the 2 southern tribes represent the soul. In our own personal kingdom, your will is your king. What your will does determines what your life does. Disobedience brings decay, which starts with the body and spreads to the soul, which eventually leads to the burning of God’s temple. God makes efforts to stop the corruption. In Israel’s time he sent prophets like Elijah and Elisha.

Sally Orwig
    Participant

This lesson was interesting to me. What I pulled out of it was, what Stedman said on page one that the inadequacy is revealed to us in three realms. I have never thought of them as realms before. Also what I pulled out of this first lesson is that in chapters six through 50 starts the realm of spiritual relationships. Our relationship with God and how we view him. How Noah and Abraham and Issac and Jacob and Joseph how we and them are always seeking something. Abraham was sent to go and find the promise land. He would never enter it but he was sent. Issac sought a birthright Jacob wanted to be known by his brothers, and Joseph was seeking out how he would live in the world in which he was thrust that all started with his brothers. I am looking forward to learning more and reading from the rest of you.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 3, Leviticus: God determines to heal man’s brokenness and to make man whole again!

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 4, Numbers: It isn’t until we make a new beginning in our lives, when we come to the end of ourselves and it is almost as if we begin again in the Christian life, that we can go on after we have resisted the work of the Spirit in taking us into the land.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 13

1 Chronicles centers on David. It’s message is that the authority of God should be the most important thing in our lives.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 6, Joshua: It isn’t the visible obstacle that is the problem, but our attitude toward it. As soon as the attitude changes, the problem dissolves. Day after day, while walking around this city of Jericho they had time to think about God and the power that he had displayed. Gradually their attitude changed so that on the seventh day they shouted in triumph and the walls fell down.

Sally Orwig
      Participant

hi Cameron, I like what you said in your response. But it is a story of a deteriorating nation. They have had this trouble before, with not listening to God. It takes them forever to listen to God and they wanted someone to be leading them. They refused to listen to God.

bchiagouris
      Participant

Great observation!

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 14

The bad kings followed patterns.
    Disobedience leads to a weakening of defenses, which leads to invasion, captivity, and defeat. The temple is destroyed. It is like this in our own lives.
    The good kings also followed patterns and taught us five principles of restoration.
    1. Determination to obey the law
    2. Ministry of teaching
    3. Restitution
    4. Cleansing of the temple/our spirit
    5. Return to hearing the Word

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 15

In Ezra, some of the captives go back to Jerusalem. The first thing they did to rebuild the temple, which was the last thing destroyed when they were taken into captivity in Babylon, was to rebuild the alter. In rebuilding the temple there was/is a need for a king and a priest. Zerubbabel was from the line of David and represented the king. Ezra was a descendent of Aaron, representing the priest. The spirit was cleansed by the priest to restore the people back in fellowship with God.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 1 – Genesis

I have read the book of Genesis more than once and yet, with this study, it came alive. That Noah “died” in the flood and lived after the flood was a revelation…as we do in Baptism. The characters, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph, and their chacteristics also were made clearer. I totally identify with Jacob as he wrestled with the Angel and then surrendered…walking from then on with a limp but totally submitted to God …and so then is able to be used by God …is my story as well.
    I never realized that right there, in the first book of the Bible, we are clearly shown that without God, we are inadequate and lost!

larryrichman
      Participant

I agree completely the message of Genesis, man is in able to be complete with out with out the LORD.

Coleen Carter
      Participant

I always figured that the book of Genesis was just about Creation. But now I see it is so much more. From our early beginnings, to our relationships to God and the world around us.

Sally Orwig
    Participant

Deuteronomy Lesson 5: This lesson really opened my eyes on how the Old Testament is connected to the New Testament. I like that we can relate it to our spiritual life as I feel like I am in a desert right now. I am just calling it a time of flux for me. I lost my job in November and have been applying and applying. Last week I had an interview at Target and I got an email that said they were not going to hire me. It is like the Lord is saying it is not time for you to be working right now. Ray Stedman said at the bottom of pg 1 that the bondage the Israelites were in, in Egypt is the same bondage we were in before we became Christians. Deuteronomy means “the second law”. And that the 10 commandments were given twice to Moses and twice in the Old Testament. It was like they did not get it the first time and maybe by the second time they would understand. I am not sure they ever did get that they were suppose to be in the Lord’s hands and not their own. I am enjoying each of these lessons.

Sally Orwig
    Participant

Joshua Lesson 6: What I have pulled out of this lesson, is that Joshua is one of the books that we should master We need to be prepared for the impact of the world to come. I also like the fact that Ray Stedman related the crossing of the Red Sea to the crossing of the Jordan River. After having been to Israel and seeing the Jordan river am not sure how God managed to get the Israelites to cross. At times the river is really low. I also like the fact that the children of Israel had to do three things before they could destroy the enemy at Jericho. Circumcision, Passover, and getting the new food in the land of Israel instead of eating manna. And also the way they had to change their attitude before going into Jericho and taking over the city. The attitude change is what we all need to go through at times.

bchiagouris
      Participant

God also used the crossing of the Jordan to establish Joshua as His leader in the eyes of the Israelites. Replacing Moses was quite a task in itself, but Joshua was the man in God’s eyes; and prepared the crossing along with other obstacles to solidify Joshua’s standing with the people as their leader. Crossing the Jordan was also a psychological strategy that instilled fear in the people of Canon which proved to be successful during Joshua’s take over.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 16

Nehemiah is divided into two sections, reconstruction of the wall and re-instruction of the people. A wall in ancient days was a symbol of strength and protection. Steps to reconstruction start with concern, then progress with confession, commitment, and courage with caution. I always liked how Nehemiah had the people work on the wall near their own houses.

Sally Orwig
    Participant

Lesson 7 Judges
    There were several things that I pulled out of this lesson. The Israelites wanted a judge to rule them. Time and again God sent Judges to help them out. I can see where Ray Stedman related it to a story of defeat and how the victory in the Christian life is not a sure thing. We automatically dont enjoy the great truths of a deliverance in Christ in our daily lives. We endure struggles and sin. God time and again intervenes in our own lives to stop us from the mistakes and folly that we make. I have been through enough mistakes to know that God has rescued me out of another mess!!! And when He does I thank Him for giving me to opportunity to pick myself up and start again. When the judge was ruling everything was fine in Israel, when the judge died, the Israelites turned back and were back at their same follies that they had done before. We must take God seriously about Satan. There is no two ways out of it. Satan is in our lives to wreak havoc and that is just what he intends to do.

bchiagouris
      Participant

Satan does indeed want to steal, kill and destroy our lives. He wants to thwart God’s purpose for our existence, draw us away from God, deny God the glory in your life and destroy your existence. Nevertheless, We are more than conquerors in Christ and greater is He who is in us than He who is in the world. We have the victory and the war is over. Our part is yielding to the Holy Spirit daily in living a victorious and fruitful life.

Sally Orwig
    Participant

Lesson 8: Ruth
    I so enjoyed this lesson. And Ray Stedman’s take on the story of Ruth. This is one of my favorite stories of the Bible, and I go back to it time and time again for reflection and renewal. After arriving in Bethlehem with both women being bitter from their widowhood They had to look to destitution and bankruptcy. No one to take care of either of them. God is the only one that gave Ruth the insight into knowing what she needed to do. Granted Naomi was up in years and could not do any work. Ruth goes to the field to grain wheat. Am wondering if she knew how she would be treated in the field? She found grace in the fields, grace that some man would look after her like Boaz did. Boaz tells his reapers to leave grain on the ground so that Ruth would have some to take back to her mother in law. Boaz was very viligent in watching Ruth take care of her mother in law. He was inspired I feel that Ruth would take on this responsibility of caring for one who she loved. He was told of her leaving her country and coming to a land she did not know about. It just amazes me that God had a hand in this story.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 17

The lecture wouldn’t play for me. It was a repeat of Nehemiah, even though it was introduced as Esther. No one else has commented on that. So, I read it instead. The book of Esther is another example of a king and his kingdom. We each have a kingdom to rule. Our soul is the kingdom. Our body is the capital city. The empire is everything around us that touches or influences us. The king is the will, and the spirit is the place where God dwells. When she goes in to see the king unannounced, Esther must die to herself in order to save her people. We must die to ourselves in order to save ourselves too.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 18

Job’s friends tell him it’s because of sin in his life that God is making him suffer. Job cries out to God and the things he pleads for are all found in the coming of Jesus. Job asks for a mediator. He asks if man will live again. He asks if he could talk to God face to face. Jesus is the fulfillment of all these things. At the end of the book, God tells Job that life is too complicated for simple answers. He tells Job that only God can handle it and that he needs to trust him.

bchiagouris
      Participant

So true! It is our fleshly attitudes that are our enemies. Not people!

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 19

The Psalms divide into five books which correspond with the first five books of the Old Testament. It is a book of emotion. The principles of evil (the attitudes of the flesh) are our enemies, not people. Many of the Psalms reveal the person of Jesus. They are designed to teach us to worship. We are to be honest with God. That is a part of our worship.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 1-Genesis
    I enjoyed Steadman’s illustration of the Patriarchs. Noah, a picture of regeneration, Abraham: a picture of justification, Isaac: a picture of son ship, Jacob: a picture of sanctification and Joseph a picture of glorification. Doesn’t that illustration portray all of us? I believe it does for everyone. I look at my own life and see the stages I have gone through and I certainly identify with each of these men. Just waiting on glorification!

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 2 Exodus
    Loved Steadman’s description of our bodies being a walking tabernacle and 3 fold structure. The outer court is our flesh, the Holy place is home to our soul, mind and will, while the Holy of Holies (The Holy Spirit) indwells all believers. As we yield to the Holy Spirit daily, He fills us with His righteousness, Peace and Joy. Oh the Joy of the Kingdom of God!

MeriLynn
      Participant

I listened to this lesson as I was walking…for the first time NOT taking notes. I don’t remember hearing the comparison of the body to the temple with the Holy of Holies being the Spirit which indwells believers… that was so nice to read, Barry… thank you!!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  MeriLynn.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 3 Leviticus
    The way to wholeness is how this book is described. I’m understanding everyday how imperative it is to be connected to God daily in prayer and the reading of His word to walk a holy life. God desires us to be complete and the only way that occurs is understanding our dependence on Him for the smallest to the largest challenges in life. God desires relationship and is always knocking on the doors of our hearts and speaking to us through spontaneous thoughts and images. The more we quiet ourselves and surrender to the Holy Spirit, the more Whole and Holy we become as the image of God.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 4 Numbers
    Numbers is a picture of our own lives of wandering in the wilderness without God. However, I loved the way Steadman explained the wandering n the wilderness was only to be a temporary state and that the spirit filled life was just beyond in the land of milk and honey. When we drift away from prayer and God’s word we find ourselves too often in the wilderness, but Canon is only a prayer away. Praise God for His stubborn love and constant protection over us even when we are not faithful, He remains faithful. 2nd Timothy 2:13

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

Amazing how even while He supplies all our needs we still find something to grumble about…

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 5 Deuteronomy
    The fifth book of the Bible, Deuteronomy is often referred to as the 2nd law. The Law reveals to man our inability to please God through our own righteousness. We are all flawed and broken, but Jesus came to fulfill the Law by becoming the final sacrifice for all mankind. He died on the cross, was buried and rose again on the third day. 2nd Corinthians 5:21 “He made Him who knew no sin become sin that we might become the righteousness of God in Christ.” We now have access to the Throne of Grace and are not bound by the letter of the law, but free to live by the Spirit which enables us to walk in obedience to God through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. We call that being SANCTIFIED. This reinforces what God demands from us, He supplies. What a mighty God we serve!

Sally Orwig
    Participant

Lesson 9 1st Samuel: This was a very interesting lesson to me. I like what Ray Stedman says on the first page in the two kings. Sauls ruin that is set on the flesh. I think we have all gone through this before. Our fleshly desires take over which can get us into trouble. In David is the blessing that the Lord put on him after he too had some fleshly desires. And Samuel being the voice of God to both of these men. I did not know that Samuel was the last of the judges and the first of the prophets. That was an eyeopener for me. David went through a test that God provided and he proved himself through struggle and adversity. We have all gone through our time of testing. I am just coming out of a time of testing myself. I have been in testing for the last 5 months. And now I have found a part time job that fits my needs. It will not take me away from my church activities or other obligations that I have. I was not going to make the call for the telephone interview but the Lord was pushing me to do it. I am glad I did. Praise the Lord my time of testing is coming to an end!!

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

how vivid is the amalek picture of the principal of the flesh. If only we would crucify it and put it to death. How often do we not listen the the voice of God and keep hold of what he told us to destroy only to loose out on a full life in His peace just as Saul did?

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 6 Joshua
    The book of Joshua is a great teaching aid for all believers today in walking in victory. “Be strong and very courageous” rings true in my life as well as many believers as we face challenges each day. There is an enemy who is out to destroy us, but knowing that God is for us brings peace and joy even in the midst of an attack. I also loved God’s strategy in Joshua how He used the crossing of the Jordan in establishing Joshua as the new Leader of the Israelites and also instilling psychological terror in the hearts of the Canonites. We believers today should dwell on the fact that we serve a Mighty God, and greater is He who is us than he who is in the world. I’m reminded daily that God is for me and not against me and there is no weapon formed against me that will prosper. That is the attitude Joshua had and the same attitude we need to aspire to as we journey in this life with all it’s brokenness. Richard Steadman’s illustration of AI and how it was a picture of our own covetousness reminded me of how selfish I can be at times. We all need to check daily the motivations of our hearts and make sure we are doing things for the right reason.

Sally Orwig
    Participant

Lesson 10 2nd Samuel: Davids story is what happens to us when we give our life to Christ. God must have first dominion and reign in our lives. We run our own kingdom but God has to take precedent over what we have dominion over. We can not let Satan take over our lives. David had a hard time emitting that he had done wrong with Bathsheba and Uriah. But that was Satan taking over in his life. He was afraid of what the Lord would do to him. But God already knew what David had done. In moving the ark of the covenant David was not the one to move it. Only the Levites were suppose to move it and David found out what happened when he did. Gods way not mans way must be done in our lives. Davids life is a great lesson for us all.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 20

The book of Proverbs is about the things a man has to decide. It is about the will of man and the conclusion of the will. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Fools despise wisdom and instruction. God has all the answers. Fearing God means to have reverence and respect for God.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 7 Judges
    I love how God sent Judges to correct and direct God’s people in the ways they should go. It reminded me of how many people God has placed in my life throughout the last 40 years to mentor me in following God. What is also a great comfort to me is knowing we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us to guide us in all that we say and do to live a victorious Christian life. Our part is obeying and yielding to His direction as we journey on day to day.

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

Jesus came to save us from our sins and not to allow us to live all our lives with them. He has come to drive them out from us and to separate us from them.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 8 Ruth
    I never tire of reading Ruth and the lessons learned from it’s content. Boaz, a prototype of Jesus redeeming Ruth is always a great truth that is set before all of us believers and the redemption we have in Christ. I also like the way Steadman spoke of the significance of the names given and how it was an illustration of their character. Reminded me how Rachael named her second child Benoni,”son of my sorrow” in child birth and how quickly Jacob called him Benjamin, “son of my right hand.” As we accept Christ in our lives we all have a new identity, one that cannot perish but that goes on through eternity. “Children of God”

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

Just like nearest kin, one who has the right to redeem. We serve only one God the one who redeemed us…

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 21

Reading Ecclesiastes would always depress me. I never understood it. It was so hopeless and to me didn’t seem to fit with the rest of the Bible. Now I finally understand that it is man’s view, man trying to figure out life without God at the center.

bchiagouris
    Participant

lesson 9 1st Samuel
    As I was listening to the lecture and the contrasts of the carnal Christian and the spirit filled Christian, it dawned on me how we all flip flop from one to the other. We struggle with fleshly desires and then the Holy spirit convicts our hearts and we run into the arms of Jesus. King Saul was definitely all about himself and his outward appearance, while David understood his dependency on God and truly had an intimate relationship with the Lord. It appears to me that Saul really didn’t have a relationship with God or even understand the Lord’s ways. Make’s me think why God chose him to be King over the nation.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 10 2 Samuel
    What great lessons to learn from the 2nd book of Samuel. God’s grace, mercy and justice truly are depicted throughout David’s life in this account of King David’s failures. David was an anointed man of God with a heart bent on pleasing God, yet fell prey to the enemy’s lies of lust and murder. What always gives me hope is God’s forgiveness and restoration in our lives in the midst of our own failures. If God can use an adulterer and murderer, he can use all of us as we truly repent and seek His forgiveness. Psalm 148:5 “God is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.”

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

Forgiveness restored immediately, yet the results of the misstep of the flesh continued to affect those around David the rest of his life. Just like with David God forgives us but the consequences remain.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 22

Marriage is the key to human life. It’s been around from the beginning of man. It’s a picture of a deeper relationship with Jesus. Man was married to the old life, the old Adam. We are mastered by God or the devil. The master God planned for us is Jesus.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 11

1st Kings is a great lesson on checking your emotions and heart before God daily. It is easy to get caught up in the world, or as Ray Steadman refers the world to Egypt’s offerings. So many distraction can turn our hearts from God daily, that is why it is so important to pray daily, read God’s word and listen to that still small voice guiding you to do the next right thing. I love Proverbs 24:3 , it is really a great teaching aid to meditate on daily and give thanks to God for all the examples throughout the Old and New Testaments.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 12
    I believe that the description of each of the OT books speaks volumes of the essence of the context.”A Wasted Life” certainly is an appropriate title for 2nd Kings and how it reflects and illustrates the lives of Christian’s who walk in disobedience. I especially liked the comparisons Steadman made of Elijah and Elisha and how they depicted the prefigured Christ. Elijah a picture of the Law, blood, fire and judgment over the establishment and Elisha a picture of grace. The beginning of Jesus’s ministry begins with him turning over the tables in the temple and admonishing the religious leaders of the day while to the individual He lavishes grace mercy and forgiveness in which Elisha’s ministry represented. Great insight to a great book!

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 1. I like history and I found it interesting that Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Bible and died 1,000 years before Herodotus’s (Greek philosopher who was called the “father of history”) writings were preserved to us. There was Moses’s writings and 1,000 years later was Herodotus’s writings and 300 years later was Christ and the writings that followed him.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 13 1st Chronicles
    I thought this was a great synopsis of Chronicles and how Steadman pointed out that God’s methodology is all about quality and not quantity. The Lord looks deep into our heart’s quality and searches not for talents or great abundant skills, but for those who are broken before Him.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 14 2nd Chronicles
    2nd Chronicles is one of my favorite books of the O.T. beginning with Solomon’s request for wisdom in leading God’s people and the building of the temple. I also liked Steadman’s thoughts on how Solomon neglected to ask for wisdom in dealing with his own life and thus ended up with a divided heart. Solomon’s life is a picture or illustration of what happens to many Christians today who get distracted by what the world offers and ends up losing their passion for Christ. The enemy of God is a great strategist and knows what pushes our buttons, that is why it is so important to keep our eyes on Jesus and yield to the Holy Spirit daily.
    Nevertheless, my favorite chapter is found in Chapter 20 when Jehoshaphat defeats the Moabites and Ammonites through praise and worship to the Lord. Our personal time with God in praise and worship can defeat the enemies in our lives because, God inhabits the praises of His people and therefore breaks the stronghold of the enemy over us.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 15 Ezra
    Interesting to note that Ezra was a priestly descendant of Aaron while Zerubbabel was in the Davidic line. The two worked together bringing the people back to Jerusalem in order to build the Altar and Temple of God. However, I can’t imagine Ezra’s frustration after discovering God’s people had intermarried and had forsaken God’s law once again. The very sin that held them in captivity for 70 years was being repeated to the dismay of Ezra. I believe that Ezra’s love for God and God’s people moved the heart of God and across the nation as they repented and turned back toward the Lord. Nevertheless, one can’t help to feel sadness for the wives and children that had to return to their homes without husbands and fathers.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 16 Nehemiah
    My memory verse learned many years ago was found in Nehemiah 8:10 “The joy of the Lord is my strength” and still rings true within me. I especially was enlightened by the fact that King Ashurbanipal (Artaxerxes) was Queen Esther’s husband and that this was the time period Esther sat on the throne along side her husband granting Nehemiah his request to rebuild the wall. I love how God worked all that out which to all of us is a great reminder of Romans 8:28…”All things working together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose.”

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 2. I have always loved the story of Moses, especially because God made it possible for his own mother to take care of him.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 7, Judges: One of the greatest problems Christians struggle with is knowing the great truths of deliverance through a risen Christ. Victory in the Christian life is not something that happens right away.

Kyle Farrell
      Participant

Even when God would provide a way for the Israelite’s by providing a Judge as soon as he died they easily slipped back to their old patterns of behavior. We need to listen to his warning voice.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 17 Esther
    I enjoy Steadman’s lectures, especially how he depicts the characters as prototypes of Jesus etc… Esther is being guided by Mordecai who is a picture of the Holy Spirit guiding you and I. Hamman is picture of the flesh, concerned about himself and how he may be glorified in every circumstance. It is really a picture of ourselves in how we wrestle with the flesh and try to obey the spirit. Our flesh wants to be recognized and honored while we must learn how to be humble and rest in the amazing truth that God has approved us and loves each and everyone. Learning to rest in God’s arms is the key to genuine peace and Godly esteem.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 18 Job: The hardest lesson
    Job 5:7 “Yet man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward.” Job,one of my favorite books conveys the reason for mankind’s suffering in that there is evil in this world that wants to disrupt God’s government and bring hardship into our lives. John 10:10 says “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. Understanding that we were created for Shalom and not turmoil is vital in comprehending God’s initial and ultimate plan for all of us. That is why each and every one of us desires peace and joy deep within. Since the fall of man, sin entered this world robbing mankind of God’s initial purpose for our lives, but praise be to God who leads us in His triumph through Jesus Christ who took all our suffering and punishment on himself that we may live a triumphant and victorious life. Just like Job, we need to trust God in all situations of life. Where there is life, there is change, where there is change, there is loss, and where there is loss there is crisis. As we journey with God in this life we have to maintain an eternal perspective and know that there will be crisis situations ahead. As the writer of Hebrews wrote in Chapter 12:2, Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 19 Psalms
    The worship of an honest heart is how Steadman depicts the Psalms. This was truly a great lecture in regards to how Psalms is divided into 5 parts and each division is an illustration of the first 5 books of the Bible. Psalms 1-41 parallels Genesis in the need for God in the heart of man while psalms 42-72 parallels Exodus, a new relationship with God. Psalm 73-89 is a picture of Leviticus or worship and wholeness of the human heart with God. Psalm 90 to 106 depicts Numbers, about man’s wilderness experience without God and his failure without the Lord. Psalm 107-150 is a picture of Deuteronomy (the 2nd law) and the experience of man coming to the end of himself. Man’s own efforts can never meet the righteousness of God, but only through receiving the grace and mercy that God offers through his son Jesus. What a great lesson!

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 20 Proverbs
    The book of wisdom for every situation under the sun. I wish I had know about Proverbs as a young man, because I would have spared a great deal of grief and hurt in my life. However, it certainly is a great reference to read daily to gain Godly perspective as we face new challenges. Proverbs is as relevant now as it was in Solomon’s day and will continue to on till Jesus returns.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 8, Ruth- Elimelech redeems Naomi and binds her to himself in marriage. When “beauty” is married to “strength,” the house is filled with “worship.

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 4 Numbers

The Holy spirit never leaves us . Even as the murmuring Israelite’s walked thru the wilderness the fire was always with them!How much simpler our lives would be if we fully trusted in God.

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 6 Joshua-
    I love the visual of the 12 Stones as a reminder of our returning to faith, how Jesus stands in the place of death long enough for every area of our lives to pass from self control into the control of Christ. Not only does he part the water but He waits for us to get through it!

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lessson 5 Deuteronmy

The presence of the Living God is the secret to a satisfying life! Wow….. Why do we make things so much harder then they have to be??

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Judges- Lesson 7

Israelite’s crops failed, Canaanites crops flourished. Whats the harm in asking for help? A gradual drift into idolatry all because of not asking God for guidance first. We need to listen to His warnings and ask ourselves is there an area in our lives where I am not taking God seriously? What do we expose ourselves and our family to that could be totally avoided had we followed God’s instructions?

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 8- Ruth

I love the comparison of Boaz and Jesus. Jesus left the glory of heaven to come to earth to be our redeemer. He bought Adams full estate for each person, Just as Boaz did for Ruth and Naomi. If Orphah had continued on her journey: oh the blessings she missed out on when returning to her own gods.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I think Orpah did what we all do sometimes; she took the easiest route and she definitely missed out on a lot of blessings.

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 9- 1 Samuel

Ball bearing skates. I don’t think I will look at something as simple as granting a child’s wish ever the same. How many times have we knowingly gone for the gold ring when God had already provided a glass slipper? How different are we from Israel?

Cameron Farrell
      Participant

When God has already given us something so beautiful, we take things for granted

Kyle Farrell
    Participant

2 Samuel Lesson 10

Sincerity in serving God is never enough it must be done God’s way to accomplish God’s will. The death of Uzzah was a tough way for David to learn even when your heart is right you need to be in the will of God. Easier to see that our old nature never dies and is ready to go into action when we stop relying on God. Definitely reminders to keep in constant communication with God.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 8, Ruth: Lesson 8, Ruth- Boaz redeems Ruth and binds her to himself in marriage. When “beauty” is married to “strength,” the house is filled with “worship.

Cameron Farrell
    Participant

Lesson 9, 1 Samuel: No man can walk in the authority and the freedom that God has intended for his children when he rejects the authority of the Spirit of God in his life.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 3. Leviticus. Mr. Stedman was correct when he said that if we understood that the purpose of the book of Leviticus was that God was saying “You were mine, you are mine and you shall be mine” it would be easier to understand.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 4: Numbers. Numbers encompasses one of the hardest things to learn-how to trust God instead of oneself. We need to not think that our way is the right way.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 5. Deuteronomy. Deuteronomy means “the second law” and the reason the law was given in the first place was not to keep us from doing wrong and make us do the right thing, but to make us see that our acts are sinful. It makes us aware and then we choose our actions and we will be held accountable for them.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 6. Joshua. The book of Joshua is about practical lessons to use for a spirit-led life to achieve victory. It is important to know that we cannot do it alone in our own strength-it must be through God’s strength.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 7. Judges. The key to the book of Judges is to understand that every man did what was right in his own eyes. There was no king. Living this way always ended in defeat. We must do it God’s way.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 8. Ruth. I think it is so interesting concerning the meaning of the names of the characters and the truths they portray as they come into contact with one another:
    Elimelech =my God is King
    Naomi/Mara=pleasure/bitterness
    Mahlon= sick
    Chilion= pining away
    Orpah= fawn
    Ruth= beauty
    Boaz= strength
    Obed= worship

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 9. 1 Samuel. What I need to remember from this book of the bible: “the Old Testament accounts illustrate the truths that are set forth in the New Testament. In them you will meet yourself and your own case study”.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 10. 2 Samuel. The 2 ways at looking at the life of David:
    1) As a picture of Jesus Christ
    2) As a picture of each individual believer

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 11. 1 Kings. The first mark of what a real reigning authority in our lives should be is that the authority must come by the gift and hand of God because we cannot reign except as we are estalished by God. When we give ourselves to the authority of God, it becomes his responsibility to bring every circumstance, every enemy, and every rebellion that would otherwise threaten our reign under control. An example of this is the case of Adonijah when he attempted to gain control of the throne even before his father King David died.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 12. 2 Kings. I found it interesting concerning the correlation of the 10 tribes of the Northern Kingdom to our “body” and the 2 tribes of the Southern Kingdom to our “soul”.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 13. 1 Chronicles. The most important thing I learned from 1 Chronicles is that we must realize that God is the ruler over our life and Christ is our Lord. We are not on our own. Jesus paid the price for us. God is our King and we should let him plan our life.

George Cook
    Participant

Lesson 1. I think that it is amazing God has given these examples of man without Him. The fact that these are so easily comparable to our current society shows that it is all His plan. I really like how Pastor Stedman explains Noah’s experience before through and after the flood. Does anyone else agree that our society is slipping down a dark path? Odds are against the family, without Jesus, in my opinion.

Jack Louden
    Participant

So much to learn about Genesis and Exodus books of the Old Testament. I really like the concept of our bodies made up of 3 components. 1) flesh and bones; 2) holy place, our soul; 3) Holy of Holies the Spirit dwelling within. We realize God’s love for us. And I love the image of God bearing us up on eagle’s wings. With regard to the Red Sea, I had no idea about the bitter water at Marah. But God told Moses about the sweet tree and how it changed to bitter water to sweet drinking water. Thank you for another exciting book of the Old Testament!

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 14. I like the correlation between Solomon building the temple and Jesus as the builder of the temple of the Holy Spirit-which contains the sanctuary of the spirit.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 15. Ezra shows us the way back to God when our heart has fallen into sin-to restore it.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 16. Nehemiah. Reconstructing the walls of Jerusalem symbolizes reconstruting the strength, power and purpose in our life.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 17: Esther. Everytime I read Esther, I think of what a great story it is. God delivered his people through Esther and Mordecai. A story where evil is defeated (Haman) and goodness prevails (Esther and Mordecai).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.