Home Forums RSM Track Survey of the Bible 2 (Isaiah – Malachi)

This topic contains 91 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Debra Pearl 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

garyslavin
    Keymaster

After you have listened to the lectures for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lectures. (If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1: The numerical relationship with Isaiah ant the entire Bible are astounding. How could anyone possible be an atheist?

PBob
      Participant

Easy, they just don’t want to believe because they think all their fun will be taken away from them. And SATAN hard at work. Hi Tom! Hope to see you soon.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It’s amazing how so many things are connected through the whole book, and weaving in and out. The Master Storyteller at work.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson:2 I could not imagine enduring 40 years of the life Jeremiah had to endure. He definitely was a man of God and an example of how God can give us courage to endure.

PBob
      Participant

I can imagine it after years of addiction. Thanks God for reshaping me for a new life.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

There’s a few books of the Bible that I don’t like reading because they depress me. I can’t imagine living it either. What a horrible time.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson:3 Jeremiah did his job in delivering the message but struggled along the way. God broke him to the point that Jeremiah gained a new strength in the Lord that was unshakeable,

coopertlc123
    Participant

I could really argue the answers given for two of these test questions. But I will not because I am learning and I still passed the test. Either the pictures described for Israel are for all mankind or they aren’t. Dr. Stedman seems to be inconsistent in that arena. At least the tests say he is.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 5: The precautions God took to make sure those that can understand the prophesies are true students of the Bible were obviously divinely inspired. The first 6 chapters of Daniel must be understood and lived before the rest makes any sense. The use of symbolic language for prophetic passages is another precaution.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6: Hosea is one of my favorite books in the Bible. To me it is all about God demonstrating his profound, completely unbelievable love for mankind.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It is a message of hope for the day when Israel will return to God.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 7: Hosea reveals the heart of God and Joel reveals the hand of God. It is fascinating how the books of the Bible wind and weave together to present such a miraculous God and his love for us.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Things are so connected and there is so much to learn. It’s amazing to see the end times predicted in the Old Testament, so long ago.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 8: God’s impartiality is covered in this book. Amos (God) was very clever in his approach, by talking about neighboring countries before addressing Israel. Too many people either don’t understand or they don’t believe that God will bring punishment upon us to get us back in line. I was in a church in Tennessee where the preacher said that God does not do that. He loves us too much. What a shame we have preachers out there like that.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It’s so easy to look and see what others are doing wrong but hard to see what you yourself are doing wrong. The people were pretty complacent, going about their own lives not caring about people.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 9 Obadiah is the pronouncement of doom against Edom. Edomites were lifelong enemies of Israel. Edomites were ancestors of Esau and represent the flesh and Israel are descendants of Jacob and represent the Holy Spirit. The flesh and the spirit will always be in conflict because of the pride of the flesh conflicts with the will of the Spirit.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 10 Jonah hated the people of Nineveh and knowing that if he went God might change his mind and not destroy them, he fled. Jonah knew the heart of God and knew that he would not destroy those Jonah hated if they repented. This is the same today. God will save those who repent.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

A question for us is do we show God’s love to the lost world that doesn’t know him? Do we have concern for the unsaved?

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 11 Micah, “Who Is Like God” was a lot like Isaiah. He did predict that Jesus would born in Bethlehem. Once again God’s love, mercy and non-compromising for the sins of the flesh are demonstrated.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

What did God want from the people? To be just, kind, and to walk humbly with him.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 12 naham explains the wrath of God and the reasons behind it. Stedman said it well when he said that a God, or person, incapable of anger and wrath are also without the capacity for love.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Nahum’s name means comfort. At first, his words don’t seem very comforting, until you look at them in a different way. It is because God loves his people so much that He is so angry. People need to recognize how much God loves them.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 13 Habakkuk is all about walking in faith and believing that God has everything under control. We do not understand exactly how he is answering prayer but we have to leave it in his hands and wait upon him for answers.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I liked the two outlooks on life, faith in God for solutions or faith in man and his mind for solutions. Man thinks he is so smart and that there is no God.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 14 Zephaniah is an interesting study on The day of the Lord and the wrath of God. Many believe that God could not do this because He is so often portrayed as “The God of Love”. Their misconception is the very meaning of love. God’s final plan is to provide for the Christians a new world without the pain and sorrows. To do that He has to wipe out evil. That is God’s love.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I think it was in Nahum too. It’s because He loves that he is angry and must wipe out evil.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 15 Haggai really brings to light Seek ye first the kingdom of God. We can come up with all kinds of excuses but until we put God first, our lives do not work out so great.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The question ‘Are we investing in eternal things?’ is something I need to ask myself every day. I should put it on the wall over the kitchen table. :0)

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 16 Zechariah is a great message of the promise of God that if we return to Him, He will return to us.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The visions are pretty scary. God used them to show Israel’s need to return to God and He promised a blessing to those who would return.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 17 Malachi the last prophet and the last book of the Old Testament demonstrated how far the Israelites had gotten away from the heart of God. They had lost their love for Him and became calloused toward God. They, as in many of our churches, were not worshipping God in their hearts, but merely going through the motions.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The verse that says, “I have loved Jacob but I have hated Esau,” always seemed unfair to me, like Esau didn’t have a chance. But he explained that Esau had no concern for spiritual matters, so now it makes sense to me. The people were acting just like Esau. Their hearts were hard.

PBob
    Participant

Amazing that Isaiah lived 724 years before Christ, wrote about the coming Messiah in what is sometimes called “the miniature bible”. Stedman points out that the prophets were very aware that a higher power than themselves, God, was speaking to them/through them. There are two themes in Isaiah, A throne and a Lamb.

PBob
      Participant

I don’t know how to edit a post or even if you can. the post above is for: 23, Isaiah: The Salvation of the Lord

PBob
    Participant

24, Jeremiah: A Profile of Courage
    Jeremiah is outstanding among the prophets as a man of heroic, dauntless courage. For many years he endured persecution in his life without quitting. I think the lesson for us in Jeremiah is no matter how discouraged, depressed, lonely we get, God is waiting to take us back so we can continue on His mission for us. I like the potter’s analogy in how when completely ruined God will reshape us as He wished us to be.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  PBob.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I like the potter analogy also. Near the end of the lecture he mentioned that when Jeremiah would get his eyes of himself and on God he would begin again. I find that when I am most miserable I am thinking me, me, me. I need to refocus like Jeremiah and begin again.

PBob
    Participant

25 Lamentations: The Therapy of Trouble
    Lamentations teaches us how the Lord keeps his Word and teaches us through heartache, sorrow, feelings of loneliness. The therapy of trouble teaches us through suffering comes strength of character. God is faithful by the thoroughness of judgment.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It seems like each time I go through a trial it gets a little easier in how to deal with it. It’s hard to explain, but I am getting tougher. And as I get older, some things in life get harder and harder.

PBob
    Participant

26 Ezekiel: Wheel, Bones, and Restoration
    The book of Ezekiel traces the causes of the captivity of the nation Israel, and why it was in so much trouble. I like how Stedman once again points out how these stories apply to our lives—— what happens to the nation is exactly what happens to us. By looking carefully, we can see our problems and circumstances exemplified in the problems and circumstance set forth in these books.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

And hopefully we can pay attention, be vigilant, and learn from other peoples mistakes.

PBob
    Participant

27 Daniel: On the Way to the Future
    Wow! What an amazing book. Before his prophecy’s we learn of Daniel’s steadfast faith in God. Again we can apply these lessons to our lives today. “Every believer is put into a position in which if they walk faithfully, if they obey what God says despite the pressures that are put upon them, they are given the privilege of opening the eyes of men to the fact that God exists, that he is not dead, that he is at work in the affairs of men, and that he is a power to be reckoned with.” I find it interesting how the Old Testament book of Daniel relates to the New Testament book of Revelations.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Interesting comment about how knowing the future can be dangerous and this the reason for symbolic language. Also, people wanting to understand need wisdom and to know the rest of the Bible

PBob
    Participant

28 Hosea: The Prophet and the Prostitute
    “Whoever is wise, let him understand these things;
    whoever is discerning, let him know them;
    for the ways of the LORD are right,
    and the upright walk in them,
    but transgressors stumble in them. (Hosea 14:9 RSV)”
    Our Story again, the loving God, the faithless human heart, and the deceptive attractiveness of the world. We run from God and drown our miseries in empty pleasures or drink or work or social life. We think we have escaped, we think we have run far enough, God touches our sleeve with his love saying “My child, my name and my nature are love and I must act according to what I am. When you tire of all your running and wandering and heartbreak, I’ll be there to draw you to myself again.” On the cross the Lord Jesus paid the price, the full price for our freedom, and bought us back. This is the story of God’s love and God’s heart — his loving desire to make of his people the full persons he intended them to be. Thank you Ray for making since of it all and sharing with us, your students.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

At the beginning of the lecture he mentioned how the people didn’t have time for God. It made me think of my time and how I use it. What things do I put ahead of time with God?

PBob
    Participant

29 Joel: The Revelation of God’s Hand
    The prophecy of Joel reveals the hand of God, the hand that controls destiny, the hand that moves history. Another prophetic view of the coming of the Day of the Lord.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  PBob.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The beginning of the age is the age of the Spirit, when God poured out his Spirit on all kinds of men, Pentecost, the time that we now live in. The end of the age is described in many different places as the sun going dark and the moon turned to blood. That is the great and terrible day of the Lord. Interesting to see the same description pulled from other books of the Bible.

PBob
    Participant

30 Amos: God Doesn’t Play Favorites
    The message of this book is to show us the impartiality of God. God plays no favorites. I like that Amos was not a “trained” prophet. I thought God just picked an unwilling child and used them for His prophecies. The lesson of this book is that God is relentless when he begins to deal with man. He will not make peace. He will not compromise. The word of this prophet is that we are dealing with a God of righteousness and of unbending, inflexible zeal who will not compromise in any way, and yet, our God is a God of patience and of love. Amen

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It’s a crazy combination, no compromise and patience. He sees peoples hearts and has patience for them to change.

PBob
    Participant

31 Obadiah: Death to Edom!
    Interesting how every sin is a form of pride and all we have to do is a simple thing. Trust God in Everything! Every little thing should be given to God.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

He put it very simply, if you think you can do something without God, that’s pride. How exciting to include God in our decisions.

PBob
    Participant

32 Jonah: The Reluctant Ambassador
    The story of Jonah and the whale is really about God loving everyone and giving us all a chance to repent. Jonah tried to get out of the job God gave him but in the end he reluctantly did what God asked. I can relate well to that as every time God gives me a new mission I say no and end up doing it and then wonder why I fought it. Very interesting!

PBob
    Participant

33 Micah: Who is Like God?
    Who shall walk humbly with God? The only one who is like God is the man who walks with the Lord Jesus Christ who is God himself the Godlike one.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The Old Testament and the New Testament saying the same thing. I am amazed again how they are both woven together.

PBob
    Participant

34 Nahum: The Terrible Wrath of God
    Interesting book about the anger and wrath of God and how people only want to think of God as a loving God, which he is IF we turn to Him. Once again we are being taught to look to God for Everything. His anger comes from His love for us not being acknowledged and returned. “We need not face the wrath of God. No one needs to. God’s whole purpose has been to call men’s attention to that way so that they might take it. And that way is given here: “He knows those who take refuge in him.” “

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Right, God doesn’t want anyone to perish and is super patient, and because He loves us so much, He gets angry.

PBob
    Participant

35 Habukkuk: History is in God’s Hands
    Propaganda!! History as taught in school is nothing like the history taught here. I often have felt like God was not listening or answering my prayers. Turned out I did not have patience to wait for God to work things out better than I could ever imagine. We need to let God be God and do His miraculous work while we keep putting one foot in front of the other and wait to see the wonders of His work.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Right, he mentioned examples from Hebrews 11, how these people didn’t look for their answers in men, but in God. They expected God to work.

PBob
    Participant

36 Zephaniah: The Day of the Lord’s Wrath
    Oh, Doom and Gloom. And Love. This book tells us of a loving God and a God of vengeance. If all His children would just listen and turn to him for everything, He would just be a God of mercy. We can rejoice when God brings us through the trials of life, rejoice and sing.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

God is loving and caring for us even in times of darkness and despair.

PBob
    Participant

37 Haggai: Some Words to Discouraged Carpenters
    Do Gods work now and do not expect instant results. Not really our nature is it? We must look to God first and everything we need He will take care of.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It makes me think of promises God made to people in the O.T. that they never saw fulfilled, but they believed anyway. We definitely want to see results quick.

PBob
    Participant

39 Malachi: Think upon His Name
    What an amazing study of the Old Testament. Ray Stedman really brings it alive for us. All these years and people have not changed that much. It seems the few are faithful and many have lost touch with God and have no clue that He is waiting for them to return. God help us to stay focused on you Love and guide us to do your will for us. In Jesus’s name Amen.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

He gave two principles for the small remnant; speak to one another and think on His name. Fellowship with a Christ centered church is important.

ardisconner
    Participant

Isaiah
    Poor Isaiah sees God’s purity and holiness and wonders how God cannot destroy man. But he begins to see the answer: God’s love, Jehovah’s salvation found in the One to come, the Messiah. The figure of Christ appears in Chapter 53 where we see how God will accomplish our salvation, being despised and rejected by man, only to be seated at the right hand of God on his throne, the Lamb that was slain.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Isaiah’s name means “the salvation of Jehovah,” which God works out through the book.

ardisconner
    Participant

Jeremiah
    I found interesting the two themes that Stedman points out: 1. the prophecy, fate of the nation-judgment and 2. the feelings of the prophet. To see that the nation did not even know where there was a copy of the law was incredible. At least King Josiah tried to revive the nation when a copy was found. Jeremiah emphasizes that God judges with a sorrowing heart, a weeping heart. He is not trying to be cruel. He promises a new covenant.

ardisconner
    Participant

Lamentations
    No matter how much devastation Jeremiah sees from the judgment of God on Israel and the other nations, he stills shows his steadfast love for God. No matter what life brings us, we need to remember God loves us, that no matter what the circumstances, we can turn to him. If we sin we will be judged, but God is a forgiving God and will forgive us and restore us when we turn back to him and ask for forgiveness.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Somehow we need to get our eyes off ourselves and focus on God’s big picture, knowing that in the end, He wins. Suffering makes us stronger so that God can use us for his purposes.

ardisconner
    Participant

Ezekiel
    Again we see that man fails to obey God, which results in deterioration of man. God keeps trying to get our attention by pointing our our foolishness and disobedience. As a result, we have heartache, disappointments and punishment for rejecting God. But God is always there waiting for his children to return to him. We need to allow the Holy Spirit to work in us, so we can become what God intended us to be.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Neglect God and face the consequences. The description of the fall of Satan in ch. 28:18-19 was interesting.

ardisconner
    Participant

Obadiah
    We see the conflict between flesh and the spirit. Pride has many forms, all of which separate us from God. I never thought of violence as a form of pride, or indifference, gloating or exploitation but Ray Stedman explains it well. I can see where self-sufficiency is a form of pride because we think we can take care of ourselves and don’t need any help from anyone or anything. We forget to depend on God and eventually fall flat on our faces.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Pride, the satanic nature, self-centeredness, opposites of love from Cor. 13:4-8 Love isn’t proud. Love isn’t self-seeking. It doesn’t boast. It doesn’t rejoice in evil. It isn’t easily angered, etc. It goes along with the kinds of pride Mr. Stedman talks about.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 1

Assyrian philosophy was that there is no God and live as you please. Babylon was a time of religious error and deceit. History repeats itself. Man hasn’t changed.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2

The people didn’t take God seriously and did what was right in their own eyes. Jeremiah’s message was of judgement. He constantly fought with discouragement, depression, resentment, loneliness, and bitterness toward God. He didn’t backslide,but took his eyes off himself and onto God. He read his Bible, prayed, and witnesses to the people.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 3

The strength of our character comes through suffering. It is preparing us for the ultimate conflict. We must learn how to deal with sorrow so that we can learn what God wants us to learn while we are in it.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4

Everything will live where the water goes. It’s source is the throne of God. Ankle-deep water is the carnal Christian. God leads you through. Next comes knee deep water. This is where you begin to hunger and thirst for more of God. God leads you through. Now the water is deeper to the waist. At this point there is less of self and more of God. God is still leading you through. Finally, the water is deep enough to swim and you are committed. Everywhere the river goes there is life.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5

Lessons from Daniel
    -Obey God despite the pressure
    -God is at work in the affairs of men
    -Good is getting better and wicked is getting worse, both will come into a headlong conflict

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 6

One way God teaches the people is by using symbols. He used Hosea’s family as an object lesson. Gomer was like the people, unfaithful. Hosea was like God, loving her and buying her back. God buys us back through Jesus.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 7

Man has searched for a controlling principle that controls or moves history. He has come up with many theories: a cycle that repeats itself, political, economical, sociological, or evolution. But the Bible says that God is behind human history and it is spiritual.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 8

The people were annoyed at Amos’s messages of doom and wanted him to go away and quit bothering them. God sent the people warnings to shake them up and make them think about him but they didn’t notice. They were too busy into materialism and sex.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 9

Obadiah is the story of two men and two nations. The men are Esau and Jacob and the nations are Edom and Israel. They are both pictures of the conflict between the flesh and the Spirit. God hates Esau because of pride, the flesh against the Spirit. There is tragedy for Esau, thinking everything is ok but then comes judgement. God says He will never make peace with the flesh. But there is triumph for Jacob.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 10

Jonah didn’t want to go to Ninevah because he wanted God to destroy the city. He knew the character of God and knew that God would pardon them if they turned from their wicked ways. When God doesn’t destroy the city Jonah is angry. God tells him that he has pity for a plant but not for thousands of people who are lost and don’t know God.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 11
    It’s interesting that the wise men knew that Jesus was coming from Bethlehem. Did they know the scriptures and remember this one verse?

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 12

A job of the prophets is to reveal God’s character. Nahum reveals God’s anger. The book divides God’s anger into four categories: terrible, personal, thorough, and irresistible. It is because God loves that He is angry.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 13

Habakkuk is about how a loving God can let terrible things happen. He gives a method for approaching problems. First, stop and think. Don’t panic. Second, remind yourself about the basic facts of God’s character. Third, apply what you know about God’s character to the problem. Fourth, if you don’t have an answer leave it with faith in God.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 14

Zephaniah is written to a small remnant of the coming day of the Lord. God doesn’t delight in death or judgement but he must deal with the evil of men.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 15

The people got discouraged rebuilding the temple. Four times they gave excuses why they stopped and God answered them. Back then it was the literal temple, but now, our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. First the people were putting their own interests ahead of God’s. Then they were discouraged because in their own power they couldn’t make the temple glorious. Then they wanted quick results. Finally, they wondered if they were ever going to be free. God answered each excuse.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 16

If you refuse the Shepherd, God will give you a judgement of blindness and give you a false shepherd. He will give you delusions to make you believe what is false. Just this week someone pointed out our family’s ‘dumb…religious stuff’ and wanted to ‘tell us the truth bluntly.’ Some people think they are so smart. They worship man and his intellect. They don’t recognize God and he hides things from them. This is the judgement of blindness.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 17

Malachi means messenger. God charges the people over and over again with their sins but they say, “What do you mean? How? We don’t understand.” Their hearts were so hardened they had no idea. They were blind to God and his ways.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Isaiah – Isaiah is the fullest revelation of Christ in the Old Testament – it is often called “the gospel according to Isaiah.” and called a miniature Bible.
    the Bible has Sixty-six book. The book of Isaiah divides exactly in that way as the entire Bible with the Old Testament being 39 books and the New Testament being 27 books. There is a distinct division at chapter 40.
    There is much prophecy in Isaiah that speaks to the coming Messiah and the life story of who He is and how He will suffer. Also there are distinct passages foretelling of John the Baptist coming before Messiah, to announce Him.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Jeremiah-Jeremiah’s ministry covered about forty years, and during all this time the prophet never once saw any signs of success in his ministry. He was called to a ministry of failure, and yet he was enabled to keep going for forty long years and to be faithful to God and to accomplish God’s purpose: to witness to a decayed nation.
    Jeremiah reminds this people that the beginning of error in their lives was their failure to take God seriously. They looked lightly upon what he said. They did not pay much attention to what he had told them, and they did what was right in their own eyes rather than carefully examining their behavior in the light of God’s revelation and word.
    And the message that he was told to proclaim was judgment: that the national rebellion would lead to national ruin. Jeremiah looks beyond the captivity to the restoration of the people and then, he looks even further beyond — to the ultimate dispersion of the peoples of Israel, and then to the final gathering of the nation into the land.
    I pray to give myself away with no thought to what I want, rather only what God wants of me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.