Home Forums IIIM Track The Apostle's Creed

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ardisconner 1 year ago.

• Author

ardisconner
    Participant

Lesson one was jam packed with very information. I thought it was interesting that many people believed the legend that the Apostles each wrote one part of the creed…Peter “I believe in God the Father Almighty”, then each apostle down the line. I was unaware that there was the Old Roman Creed which was a precursor to the Apostles Creed. It was a shorter form and it was used as an answer to the question “Do you believe in God the Father, maker of heaven and earth?” at a person’s baptism.

ardisconner
    Participant

Lesson two: what stood out was some of the terminology which I had never encountered regarding the Father Almighty. The professor discusses perspectives on the Trinity in terms of ontological trinity, the essence of God, and economic trinity, the relationship between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit as distinct personalities. Ontologically, the son is eternally generated by the Father and the Holy Spirit proceeds eternally from the Father. Economically, the Father has authority over the Son and the Holy Spirit but they interact with one another and have different responsibilities. At least this is how I understand it. If someone can explain it more clearly, jump in.

ardisconner
    Participant

Lesson three: in early Christian times hell was considered the place where the underworld held the souls of the dead. The Apostle’s Creed intended to teach that Jesus’ soul really descended into the underworld between the time of his death and resurrection. Hell in the Old Testament was commonly called sheol; the in the Greek New Testament it was called hades. In the O.T. times everyone was going to sheol to wait for final judgement. In the N.T. hades was usually considered the place for wicked souls. But before Jesus’ resurrection the N.T. tells us that all went to hades but that there were two areas for the souls as seen in the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man. So the righteous were comforted in “Abraham’s bosom” while the wicked were in another area suffering torment.

ardisconner
    Participant

Lesson four: discusses the divinity of the Holy Spirit. That is something I wouldn’t have considered – that the Apostles’ Creed does not explicitly state that the Holy Spirit is divine. But it “implicitly” affirms the Spirit’s divinity because of the Trinity which equates the Holy Spirit with the Father and the Son and that the creed’s description of Jesus’ conception shows that the Holy Spirit is divine. There is also Biblical basis for his divinity: he is used interchangeably with God in certain texts. I think it is important to know that He prays with us and for us and actually dwells in our hearts.

ardisconner
    Participant

Lesson five: discusses the “church”. In this lecture the definition of “holy” is given. I guess I really never knew the exact meaning…a. morally pure, free from sin and corruption AND set apart for use in special service to God …. this is what surprised me….things can be holy even if they are not morally pure! I thought it was also interesting that the professors talked about an invisible church (those who have been united to Christ in salvation-the true church) and a visible church (all those are regularly part of the gathered church).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.