Home Forums Trinity Track Old Testament Survey III

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  coopertlc123 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

stephenlawes
    Keymaster

Please enter your comments and thoughts on Old Testament Survey III here.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  stephenlawes.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1 Ezekiel chapter 16:1-42 is a very revealing section of the heart of God. I believe as God reminded them all that he had done for them, which was intense as he used an abandoned new born baby as the beginning of their relationship. I felt as he continued began talking about the horrible things they had done, worshipping Idols, sacrificing their children, and how they turned from Him for these things, God was truly hurt. This message sounded to me like He was hurt. He had enough of this pain and gave up on them, for a time. The amazing part is “for a time”.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2 I don’t blame Ezra for being appalled at the marrying of returned captives to local women. Over 2000 years later I am appalled. I find it difficult to understand why God kept helping them. I think Satan probably liked them a lot. They followed him way more than they followed God. I am dumbfounded over the constant rebellion of God’s chosen people against him.

coopertlc123
    Participant

I am curious about the section in Obadiah where it says that there will be no survivors left in the house of Esau. I am wondering if that completely happened or if it is to be finalized at a later date. I have thought the roots of the modern day terrorists were descendants of Esau. Obviously if there were no survivors in the time of Obadiah then descendants of Esau are not around today being terrorists. The answer to this will definitely impact or at least slightly change my world view.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 4 Jonah’s message had no provision for repentance yet the people repented, believed in God, fasted and wore sack cloth and ashes. This is evidence that God, now the Holy Spirit prepares the hearts and minds of people to receive and believe His word. We should be less concerned about how correct our message is and focus on planting the seed. If these people can repent after hearing so little from Jonah, we should boldly go forth and spread the gospel knowing the Holy Spirit will do his part even if we deliver an incomplete message.

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 1, Ezekiel Chapter 2: Just like Ezekiel we are called to share the gospel whether people listen or not.

Lesson 2, The exiles had been given permission to rebuild the temple but not the walls. Rebuilding the walls would have a military impact.

Lesson 3, The inspired record of the old testament comes to an end around 400BC, then begins a 430 year silence known as the Intertestamental Period which
    ends in approximately 30AD with John The Baptist.

Lesson 4, Jonah 3:10 (NIV) 10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the
    destruction he had threatened. Lessons from Jonah: 1) God will save anyone, 2) God is patient with Jonah, 3) People are saved by God’s grace.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 5 The book of Hosea takes on a whole new meaning with Dr. Rodger’s lecture. I get how God continually forgives his chosen people. As the groom that loves his wife so much that he continually forgives her, God loves us and does not want to lose relationship, so he forgives out of love and compassion. If you look at it from a husband and wife perspective it is a lot easier to understand. That was a very inspiring lecture.

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 5, Hosea 760BC, Hosea 1:2 (NIV) Finishes according to Dr. Rogers with: This wonderful prophetic message from God shows that the Gentiles will be
    included as his children also.

Lesson 6, Amos 2:5 “I will send fire on Judah that will consume the fortress of Jerusalem.” This prophecy was fulfilled in 586BC as Judah is defeated and
    held captive by the Babylonians.

Lesson 7, Isaiah 66:22 (NIV) 22″As the New Heavens and the New Earth that I make will endure before me, “Declares the Lord,” So will your name and
    descendants endure.

coopertlc123
      Participant

lesson 6 God’s judgment is absolute. He has changed his mind a couple of times but ultimately, there is a price to pay for sin. God is no respecter of persons so we can rest assured we will all be judged.

coopertlc123
      Participant

The new heaven and new earth have always fascinated me. I have heard several speakers on this subject but I am not satisfied with my understanding. I am confident that someday I will understand it, either here on Earth or perhaps in heaven. God says all things will be revealed to us there.

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 8, Matthew 2:6 (NIV) “But you Bethlehem, in the land of Judah are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; For out of you will come a ruler who
    will be the shepherd of my people Israel”.

Lesson 9, Romans 1:17 (NIV) 17 For in the gospel a righteousness rom God is revealed, The Righteousness will live by Faith”.

Lesson 10, Zechariah 1:3 (NIV) 3 Therefore tell the people : This is what the Lord Almighty Says: Return to me declares The Lord Almighty, and I will
    return to you, says The Lord Almighty.
    Zechariah 7:13 (NIV) 13″When I called they did not listen; So when they called , I would not listen; says The Lord Almighty”.

coopertlc123
      Participant

lesson 8 It is truly amazing how God managed to keep someone, from the house of David, on the throne of Judah. With all the sins of Judah and punishments from God, he never broke his promise to David.

coopertlc123
      Participant

lesson 9 When we see evil people prosper and good people suffer we can be comforted by that verse.

coopertlc123
      Participant

lesson 10 To me that verse demonstrates God’s infinite forgiveness. All he asks is for us to return to him and he will forgive. That is awesome

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6 When Amos was bringing down the Judgments of God, it reminded me of the movie The Godfather. He identified all his enemies, devised a plan to deal with them and got it done. I still find it amazing that once again the Israelites were given a chance to repent and they still refused. In Amos 7:7 God said, “I will spare them no longer’. They thought because they were God’s elect, they could sin and get away with it. That sounds like what a lot of churches teach today. I went to one for a while until I heard that message.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 7 Isaiah 9:6-7 Prophesies the birth Of Christ and further states He will be called Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, and he will reign on David’s throne and uphold it with Justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. This is not only a prophesy of the birth of Jesus, it is also more proof that Jesus is God. I wonder how the religious sects that teach Jesus is not God gets through or explains away these two verses.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 8 In Micah 6:8 we are told what the Lord requires of us, to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with our God. These are profound but so simple requirements. They are the exact things Satan tries to prevent us from doing. To me, pride seems to be the most difficult thing for people to overcome. However, I have seen Justice and mercy become more and more scarce as time moves on. Praise God that we are promised the Lord God will be with us and there will be a time when we never have to fear harm again.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 9 A verse in Jeremiah really spoke to me. Jeremiah 6:16 Thus sayeth the Lord, stand ye in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths where is the good way, and walk there in, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

What a glorious verse. Have our churches strayed too far from the old paths? Have we become so modernized that we have diluted the word of God? Has getting people in the door become more important than getting people to walk in righteousness.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 10 Consider your ways. God assures us we can not win be cheating or trying to deceive him. We must worship him from and with our hearts. We can put on all the outward professions of faith we want but unless we worship from the heart it as all for nothing. He wants us to love him.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.