Home Forums Trinity Track The Gospel of Matthew I

This topic contains 104 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Roberta Leps 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Gary
    Participant

Please comment on the perceived necessity for a common source, referred to as the “Q Source”, for the Gospels. Why is the existence of a common source considered necessary to account for the commonality within the Gospels? If the Gospels were written by the referenced disciples, the commonality can be explained by the fact that all writers were present at the described events. Any exact text descriptions shared between the various Gospels can be explained by some Gospels leveraging descriptions from a Gospel that were written before!

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 2: I like the example given that Jesus did not make repentance a prerequisite for healing during His ministry.

douglasleps
      Participant

Gospel of Matthew 1,lesson 6
      An Earthly story with a Heavenly meaning. Kind of like ancient secret code!
      A way for Jesus to convey his message ONLY to those intended to hear… believers.
      I love reading the parables, but Dr. Turner’s lesson was slow and many times confusing.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 3: I found the comparison between being the “salt of the earth” and the “light of the world” enlightening. Also important was the point that disciples are to be actively engaged in order to lead to the conversion of individuals and the transformation of the culture.

coopertlc123
      Participant

The mingling with the world and keeping our light shining is a classic example of being a disciple who makes a difference.

patriciakuhn
        Participant

Yes, I agree, although it makes it is difficult for me sometimes because I have family members who believe just the opposite-that they are to not mingle with others except those that they go to church with. However, when I ask how/when they will meet pre-Christian people and invite them to church, they do not have answers.

MeriLynn
        Participant

I also believe that we need to be out “in the world”and let our light shine so that people are attracted to it and therefore, will give us the opportunity to share our Jesus with them!

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 4: An important point from this lesson was that there are two roads possible; an easy road which leads to the most difficult destination imaginable but those who take the difficult way of the Kingdom arrive at the best possible destination.

coopertlc123
      Participant

I commented about the same subject. I can say that I have been in several churches that lead people to what I see as the easy path and wide gate. I have actually witnessed a sermon where the minister said ” all your sins and all your future sins are all ready forgiven and you have heaven covered. That sounds like the wide easy path to me.

PBob
        Participant

It seems like most of the world is taking the easy path. Our path is not so easy and I have experienced several attacks from the enemy though his minions. The hard path is worth the troubles. Praise Jesus

PBob
    Participant

Gary, I heard about your accident and wanted you to know that I am Praying for your speedy recovery. God Bless YOU

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 1, I have always thought that Jesus was referred to in the Gospel as the Son of God and found it interesting that the term most used in the bible referring to Jesus is the Son of Man.

Lesson 2, Again we see how Satan tries to tempt Jesus in the wilderness and Jesus overcomes his temptations again. A very simple reminder that while Jesus was his most difficult challenge for temptations we are even more vulnerable to his temptations and need the Spirit of God and continuous prayer to rebuke his attempts to take us away from our Lord and Savior.

Lesson 3, I love the reference between the Salt and the Lamp on the Table regarding discipleship. Salt disciples must mingle with the world to flavor, purify and preserve it while the Lamp on the table must remain distinct from the world in order to illuminate it.

Lesson 4, The choices we make in following the teachings of Jesus have easier and harder roads and the bottom line is we have to give up more and work harder to attain the heavenly rewards in lieu of the worldly rewards.

Lesson 5 & 6, The parable usages to provide the Disciples with powerful information in such a way that only those enlightened by the Holy thru the Holy Spirit will actually understand there meanings and last but not least Satan sews seeds like weeds amongst the wheat which is very hard sometimes to separate.

coopertlc123
      Participant

lesson 1 I was quite surprised at the number of names applicable to Jesus. I have heard them all but never really stopped to realize the quantity.

coopertlc123
      Participant

I agree with you on your comments on lesson 2. When I am tempted and I remember to do so, I pray for the salvation of someone that has a powerful influence and could a great witness. So far this is still helping by diminishing recurring temptations.

coopertlc123
      Participant

lesson 5 response That is my understanding of why Jesus used parables also.

Roberta Leps
        Participant

So believers understand and non believers don’t understand.

coopertlc123
      Participant

response to lesson 6 comment Dr. Turners explanation of the parables and the different theological views of these parables was quite interesting. It is obvious we do not all think alike and I am sure God has made provisions for those differences.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I agree that I was surprised that Jesus was referred to as The Son of Man more than any other name. If someone had asked me if I called Jesus by any other name, I would have automatically responded The Son of God.

douglasleps
      Participant

I agree Robert, it is sometimes hard to separate the weeds from the wheat, but that’s why they refer to Satan as the great imitator.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1 I liked the definition of narrative criticism in that I think it is imperative to compare scripture to the whole or entirety of the Bible and or book the scripture is written. Not doing so, is a form of deception often used by taking scripture out of context.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2 Although there is a lot that could be said about lesson 2, I will write about Isaiah chapter 40. It relates to the Gospel of Mathew because it begins with the prophecy of john The Baptist. Isaiah 40 ends with verse 31 “But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint”.

Praise God

MeriLynn
      Participant

That is my favorite Old Testament verse as well…I love the prophesies of The coming of Jesus in Isaiah and many highlighted verses and notes in the margins in my Bible there.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 3 Mathew 5:48 “be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect”. Obviously we can not be perfect and I don’t think Jesus is commanding us to achieve perfection. However I do believe that he commands us to set our goals that high. I think he is saying there is no room for compromise in our hearts. We are either in or out. You can’t pick and choose your level of obedience. From your heart it has to be all or nothing. As we fail, which we will certainly will, it can’t be because we never really intended to be completely obedient from the start. God knows our heart. We can not fool him.

bchiagouris
      Participant

I thought your response was very well articulated and very timely. I just had this discussion with a good friend Mike Edwards about what
      Jesus meant by being perfect. Jesus knew we could never attain a perfect life by the way we live, but if we learn to love like He loved, than we fulfill the New Commandment that Jesus stated John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. If we live our lives loving other as Jesus did, than we fulfill the Law of God. This also may pertain to your inquiry about the Sabbath which was made for man. We no longer our obligated to live our lives by the Letter of the law, but by the Spirit, which is a higher calling; and that is Love. Paul writes this in Romans 6:14
      For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace. John 1:17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. Galatians 4:21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? Galatians 5:18
      But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. The Law was a a guardian or tutor to the Israel nation in order to set and example of how to live and prepare the Israel Nation for the coming Messiah. However, a better covenant has taken place, that is the Lord Jesus and the commandment to love others. When we as
      God’s people develop that kind of love through the Spirit, that is when we are fulfilling all the commandments. The book of Hebrews is a great study to get a better understanding of why we are no longer bound by the letter of the law. I hope this didn’t confuse you.

MeriLynn
        Participant

Well said, Barry, and it made it very clear for me. Matthew was writing for the Jewish Community of Christian Jews but Paul was making it more simple for his Gentile converts by saying that they didn’t have to follow the law but could live by Grace guided by The Holy Spirit…just like you and I can live a righteous life in Christ today 😊

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 4 I liked the explanation of the two gates. The wide gate that appears to be ok is an easy path and leads to hell. The narrow gate is not so easy, few take it but this gate and path lead to heaven and eternal life. There is no other gate. No middle ground and no easy way out.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

Hopefully, always trying to do the next right thing will have us traveling down the right path and going through the correct gate.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Makes me think of “Pilgim’s Progress.” We have a children’s version and the artwork depicts the rough terrain of the narrow way.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

From my human nature perspective, easy vs hard is as different as people are from each other…what’s easy for me may be hard for you and vice versa. Jesus teachings however, are true no matter how we slice it up. 20/20 hindsight works best for me whether it’s no pain no gain, or putting others first when I manage my time and seeing the positive results. There are times when an opportunity rises where I’d rather chill out, but if my conscious says otherwise it’s time to go!

MeriLynn
        Participant

Yep… That “conscience” living …The “Holy Spirit in us” living…is the only way to follow God’s lead…
        Letting go of our selfish wants and doing what sometimes feels hard but is the next right thing to do, brings peace with God and with ourselves!!

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 5 There are many things I could comment on, but since the Sabbath was part of this scripture, I will ask everyone a simple question. The Sabbath is on Saturday yet we have changed that day to Sunday. Exodus 20:8-11 8 Remember the Sabbath day to keep it Holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labor and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: Wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Can anyone tell me why we have not remembered the Sabbath day? I know the stories about when and why it happened, but none of those adequately justify why we took it upon ourselves to disobey one of the ten commandments.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

Not that it is right that this has happened,but I think the workplace for many people being open 7 days a week has deterred away from the Sabbath not being remembered as it should be. I grew up in a rural area and nothing was open on Sunday’s except the hospitals, police departments and fire departments. Now, almost every business is open.

PBob
      Participant

I think what is important is that we take one day of rest and thank GOD for it.
      THANK YOU GOD

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Didn’t Jesus say that man wasn’t made for the sabboth but the sabboth was made for man? So in our day man can choose to have a sabboth or not. Our culture pretty much has chosen the latter. It’s another matter of the heart.

Roberta Leps
        Participant

As in all commandments God made for our own good including one day of rest per week.

MeriLynn
      Participant

I don’t know when it changed either, but the rule of the Sabbath being on Saturday was a Jewish rule… Christians made it a Sunday “Sabbath rest day”…and we understand it to be a day of rest and recreation with thanksgiving to God for whichever day we can do that. Many of us work on Sundays so Pastors usually take Monday and I usually take Thursday!! I think as long as we spend a day with God’s Blessings in mind, we are on the right track.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6 Dr. turner ended his lecture talking about the relativity of the Old testament even for today. I never got that before but I do now. One theme throughout both testaments is that God wants your heart, your love, and your obedience. Sacrifices in the Old Testament were not enough. God was very explicit that he wanted their hearts and worship. Jesus, being the new sacrifice atones for our sins, within that concept, that sacrifice is not enough either. Jesus wants our love, our hearts and our obedience. In many ways the Old and New Testaments deliver exactly the same message. We can not go through the motions and expect salvation.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

I was confused about the need for the “Q Source” also.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Yes Patricia, not to mention the tons of other references

patriciakuhn
    Participant

LESSON 1. I was surprised that 20 manuscripts of Matthew or parts of manuscripts have been found.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

LESSON 2. Was very interesting how Dr. Turner compared the temptation of Jesus in the desert to Adam and Eve’s temptation in the garden.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 2

I thought it was very significant how Dr. Turner applied the term holistic concerning the heart and ministry of the Lord. The need for repentance wasn’t necessarily a requirement in order for Jesus to heal. Jesus had compassion for all people, gentiles as well as His own. I believe that is the heart of the gospel message; to love like Jesus loved. When we emulate Jesus love in our lives, it becomes evident in our relationships with our Christian community as well as the world.

MeriLynn
      Participant

Amen, Pastor Barry! I liked hearing that too!!

patriciakuhn
    Participant

LESSON 3. I found it very interesting concerning the discussion anout the views/angles on how The Sermon on the Mount was derived: 1) created from documentary sources by Matthew 2) from collated different teachings of Jesus 3) accurately created from an historical sermon that Jesus did or 4) exact word by word sermon from Jesus.

PBob
    Participant

1a, Very hard to follow “Dr.” Turner.
    1b, Nice that he apologized for 1a. Very interesting all the names that Jesus was called. Even though I have heard them all, I never really thought about it much.

douglasleps
      Participant

You are not kidding…… But like you said, even Dr Turner admitted it was hard o follow. We have been away from our studies for awhile and this wasnt an easy lesson to start back with!

PBob
    Participant

2, I stopped after 2a I took a break and listened to the book of Matthew again which I find very easy to follow. Getting back the Turner I find him very hard to listen to. He talked about Jesus being baptized by John and Jesus being tempted by Satan which shows the importance of knowing the Scripture and having the strength of the Holy Spirit.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I’m always encouraged when reminded of the importance to know scripture.

PBob
    Participant

3. Sermon on the Mount, How we should live today, Beatitudes. The Law and Jesus-came to fulfill not change the law. I stopped listening to this lesson here a few weeks ago finding it very hard to listen to Turner. I hear it get easier or maybe you get used to him. I will continue soon, I hope. Interesting lively discussions going on now. That may help.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

LESSON 4. I liked the discussion concerning building on 2 different foundations. You can either build on a solid, strong, firm, stable, well built foundation with God or a shoddy, weak, badly built foundation with the world.

MeriLynn
      Participant

A strong foundation in anything is important!!

PBob
    Participant

It was a struggle to get back to listening to Turner. I had to cut my foot and have a day off it to continue. You all were right, it did get easier to follow although there were two test ?’s that he never clearly gave answers to.
    4. Jesus on counterfeit religion and genuine religion. The Lord’s Prayer. Ask, Pray. God Sees and God knows what we need. Jesus demonstrates his authority.
    5. Jesus Forbids Fear. Jesus rejected and slandered. Sabbath rules.
    6. Sue Him!!! OK. JESUS
    Yes, he said that.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 1

Like the professor stated, this lecture was a tough one. It does however sadden me to think of how my scholarly family and friends won’t even consider the evidence of Matthews gospel. I’m excited to see how God orchestrates my future encounters as these lectures give greater insight and application of our faith…many times when I least expect it.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Of course not all my scholarly family and friends but many of them. 😎

MeriLynn
        Participant

I loved that Matthew quoted from the Old Testament…The New Testament is a completion of what was written about in the Old and shows us just how long that God has been persuing us!!

JDoyle
    Participant

JDoyle
    Participant

Lesson 1a

This lesson contained some very interesting history, although it was a little hard to follow at times. Still, I think I’m going to enjoy this course.

JDoyle
    Participant

Lesson 1b
    Jesus referenced the Scriptures a lot more than I realized. I think He used it especially with the Pharisees and when He was being tempted because they knew it, and had nothing that could fight against the Sword of the Spirit.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2a

Wow…got the general idea but even the professor stumbled over some of his references which were many.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

The professor made a good point on people with different points of view, like baptists vs reformists, can serve different kinds of people well.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 1 – I never realized that the Gospel of Matthew was written first in the time when Christians and Jews lived together. Matthew was a Christian Jew and that was documented by many. The people were still connected to the Temple and he was making the case for Jesus as the Messiah using the Hebrew Bible as his source. I loved all the quotes from the Old Testament as it shows just how long God has been persuing us!

The style that he wrote in was less of a narrative than it was a discourse using “when Jesus had finished saying this” and “after Jesus had finished all these words”. It showed not just what Jesus did but what he said.

I enjoyed hearing all the names that are attributed to Jesus… The Christ, the Davidic Messiah, the Son of Abraham, Emmanual, The King (Davidic and Divine), The Son of God, Lord, Teacher, and The Son of Man. I didn’t realize that The Son of Man was used the most… I would have said The Son of God.

The universal scope of Jesus’ message in Matthew of going out and teaching the world (The Great Commission) is indeed daunting if it weren’t for that last line “I will be with you to the end of the age”!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  MeriLynn.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  MeriLynn.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I liked seeing what you got from this lecture, because when I finished it, I just had nothing to say. I take notes when I listen, and that usually helps, but there was just so much information, it was frustrating for me.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 1

I know some people like to figure things out and figure out what things mean. They get into different interpretations or wonder about discrepancies. I don’t know why, but that stuff doesn’t interest me. My belief is simple and I don’t need to know all the whys, hows, and wheres. I suppose some of the details matter in certain instances, after all, they are in the Bible and must be there for a reason. We have a Chinese friend who does cancer research. He learned English by reading the Bible. He thinks so much about everything, but doesn’t believe. He said he wishes he envies us for our believe. He wishes that he could simply believe, but he tries to figure it all out.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

I agree Cheryl. I don’t have a scientific mind. I have faith. I have the true joy of salvation and a full heart of love in addition to unnumberable miracles, large and small, as all the proof I need. Along with tending to my relationship with Jesus, seeking Him and reading and trusting the Word. FAITH IN WHAT I CANNOT SEE, BUT I DO SEE EVERYDAY! Thank God for the contentment I have in this simplicity, is yet another miracle!

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2

Jesus overcame the temptation in the wilderness by his knowledge of scripture and strength from the Holy Spirit. I need to remember that in my own struggles. I can’t do everything on my own.

douglasleps
      Participant

I found it interesting when Dr Turner said that the sport lead Jesus…. But the devil tempted him!
      I feel that way from time to time. And we must rely on our knowledge of Scripture to help us overcome temptations .

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4

Something I already know but need to be reminded everyday-to out God first and our needs will be met. Also, to focus on the power of Jesus, not on the storms of life.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

You do that very well and we all get the benefits of keeping it simple instead of trying to figure everything out…

MeriLynn
      Participant

The world moves along at such a fast pace and because I work out in it, I get caught up in the “spin”… I’m talking to God all along the way, but it sure is nice to take a pause and remember that “seeking God first” always brings me peace. It’s amazing how everything after that just falls into place and I’m a lot less tired because I’m not “trying” to make something go my way!! It’s literally taken me years to know that in my Spirit, but when I’m “in it”, it’s hard to remember!!!

douglasleps
      Participant

Absolutely.. We also need to remember that God sees what is done in private and will reward us.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5

The statement that Jesus uses his power to serve people stood out to me. I thought of the political climate right now. I think they’ve all forgotten about the word “serve.”

tomdoerfel
      Participant

How true. Serve…not the greatest marketing tool when we are self seekers.

MeriLynn
      Participant

That is so true, Cheryl!!

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 6

This lecture was way more interesting than the previous ones. There is so much in the parables. It would be interesting to study them further.

Debra Pearl
    Participant

Hi, I just realized I was to comment on every lesson and then comment on 2 others. I will go back and do this. I actually completed the Matthew I course…

MeriLynn
      Participant

Ahhhhh… Overachiever LOL… So happy to have you in the class, Debbie!! It’s been a struggle for me to find the time lately, but I was encouraged last night by hearing “time passes quickly” from Pastor Steve… It sure does!! I’m back at it this morning 🙂

Debra Pearl
    Participant

The book of Matthew teaches the fulfillment formula of the Bible, taking quotations from the Hebrew Bible to show that Jesus came not to destroy the Law but to fulfill the Law and the Prophets.

The instructor Dr. Turner, states that this course adopts the stand that the people Matthew is addressing are still engaged with the synagogue, to a community of Christian Jewish audience which needed to understand the life of Jesus the Messiah who fulfilled the Hebrew Bible and to teach how Jesus interpreted the Torah of Moses. He made the point that Jesus, also, came to teach that non-Christian Jewish leaders were no longer to be followed. Matthew wanted to tell the people to expand their horizon toward Gentile missions and how Jesus often portrayed Gentiles in a positive light, with the objective of taking the message of Jesus to all the nations (Matthew 28:19)

Turner goes into history of the canonization of the book of Matthew, of the different views of others.

Turner takes some time to explain the historicity of Matthew.He compares dispensation teachings that would compare theological vs. dispensation.

Turner then goes onto explain the “Synoptic Problem” Why are some of the Gospels so similar in some respects and different in others. Were these gospels independent of each other or interdependent of each other? Turner will take the “Narrative Criticism” approach which is explained to be the views of each gospel as a whole and draws conclusions about meaning and theology by comparing the parts of each gospel to the whole rather than to a hypothetical source.

Finally Turner discusses the literary structure of the Gospel of Matthew. There are several approaches which he could take. 1. chronological 2. the importance of the phrase “from then on Jesus began” 3. two junctures of the important key events in Jesus life (4:17 and 16:21) 4.narrative discourse of concerning the phrase “after Jesus had finished”.

This was a good into to the course.

MeriLynn
      Participant

Well written, Debbie, and helpfully laid out for me!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesso 2 – I liked the comparison between Mathew’s genealogy and that of Luke. Matthew, being a tax collector dealing in figures, uses the number 14 (the numeric name of David) to allude to the Davidic Prophesy. Luke has at least 60 more generations listed in his genealogy. It was also interesting to me that Matthew used Gentile women (mostly) with often bad reputations, in his genealogy. Dr. Turner said that may have been intentional to show that God’s grace reaches beyond just Gentiles, beyond women, beyond sinners…to saving the people from their sins. Jesus was not bound any of these with his love and compassion and repentance was not a prerequisite for healing.
    I also liked the many references to the Book of Isaiah. In some cases, reference verses came too fast to catch and I just had to move forward, remembering that historical patterns and predictive materials from this Book were used by Matthew. Matthew gives us the beginning of the life of Jesus and then skips to his adult ministry. I sometimes wish that we knew more about young Jesus… There seems to be nothing except Jesus as a 12 year old in the temple when his parents had to go back for him! I like that it ended with Jesus’ power over demons because they “recognized him”.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Meri-Lynn, I love how you covered so many key points of lesson two. I too loved all this enlightenment like the fact that Matthew included such women in his genealogy and God’s grace, love and forgiveness doesn’t see sex, color, nationality, and types or amounts of sin. 0% Discrimination there! Oh, just another great example and role model of what Christianity should smell like. I know that I have much to forgive and therefore so much to be grateful for!
      P.S. the movie “Young Messiah” satisfied some of my craving for knowing more of Jesus childhood. It was very well done and pulled out stories from the Bible and put them in order to grasp and enjoy.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4

The need for The Holy Spirit to engage my prayer life came to mind as Dr Turner taught on prayer priorities…we all have times where our own needs overwhelm our day to day thinking/activities. When we seek first the kingdom…everything else takes a back seat.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

I like that too Tom, and he reminded us that our prayers should be about what we can do to be of service to Him, instead of what He can do for us.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 3. I found it interesting that there is no mention of The Beatitudes and much of this teaching of Jesus in Mark’s Gospel and it’s only partially mentioned in Luke’s. The different ideas of how Matthew may have written this all down for us was interesting as well but I liked what Pastor Steve said …that because Matthew was a tax collector, he had an eye for being precise and had a “shorthand” so I love reading this as though these are Jesus’ words. There is evidence, though, that Jesus had key teaching points and used them often in his itenerant preaching, which is why they are written in more than one gospel.
    I like that The Beatitudes are personal ethics for Christians today…that we need to practice these principles for God’s reward and not for human approval. Jesus is showing the error of superficial, selserving living and explaining that the road is narrow but the rewards are great. We are to have humility toward God and grace towards His people.
    I always liked the Salt and Light teaching…and I believe we are to live that out, especially among His unsaved people.
    Jesus came to fulfill the Law of Moses, to modify it…and us…towards righteousness, and to give us access to God, our Heavenly Father and the Kingdom. Doesn’t get better than that!

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5

The much disputed claims of Jesus and receiving the kingdom during His three years of ministry is very real in today’s age as well. It’s funny how much has changed over time but also how much has remained the same. I’m grateful how The Holy Spirit works in our lives. It’s also nice to be reminded that The Sabbath is for us and not vice versa.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 4 – In Matthew 6:1, Jesus is reminding us not to do as the hypocrites do and parade our prayers and good works around for applause of people…that things done just for The Father will be rewarded in Heaven. I liked the teaching on prayer…specifically the Lord’s Prayer as a model for prayer. Elequent and lengthy prayers would seem to say to Him that He doesn’t know our needs and is reluctant to fill them. Praying for forgiveness admits that we fall short and forgiving others comes easier and then we are forgiven! That He is “our” Father brings intimacy and community as we are all praying to Him in awe and reverence.

The teaching in Matthew 6 and 7 bring to light the Religious Hypocracy and Anxious Materalism. Ironically, though, if we seek The Kingdom first, our needs will be met. How wonderful to be able to “rest in our Father’s care”!!

Matthew featured people and stories on the fringe of his society… Lepers, Roman soldiers, blind and mute and women, who had no standing in society at all. Dr. Turner suggested that Matthew was bringing his Christian Jews to the acceptance of Gentiles and leading them to disciple all nations. We must also love the “outsiders” as Jesus did.

Interesting that the relationship between sin and healing were closely related. Jesus’ authority to forgive sins was much more important than his miracles and his healings… Matthew was leading to the atoning death and resurrection of Christ for our sins. Thank you, Jesus!!

Roberta Leps
      Participant

So many good points Meri-Lynn. I really like the phrase Dr Turner stated…. “A forgiven person is a forgiving person”. I have much to be forgiven for so I believe that helps me be more understanding, compassionate and forgiving.

douglasleps
      Participant

Having been a manager for so many years of my life, I sometimes find it hard to “let go” and seek 1st the kingdom and allow my needs to be met. Work in progress!
      But when I do, I am never disappointed.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Matthew 1 lesson 6

All the terminolgies made listening to these past few lectures very difficult for me, as I listened to lesson 6 at least three times. The only thing that left an impact was thinking I’m more of an Arminian, although it seems pointless trying to understand things that aren’t understandable.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

I’m with you there Tom. I feel like Dr Turner speaks a different language and I find it hard to follow. I’m just not that sophisticated. Think that’s why I actually understand Jesus parables, put in simpler words.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 5
    Jesus emphasizes that we may be rejected for following him…that the Gospel will be rejected by many…but there is reward in persevering. He is still reaching out to the Jews here…the sheep of Israel because of God’s covenant with them. But it is with his disciples that he will build his church. He tells them that they are to have no funds..no provision..trusting in the Lord for their ultimate provision. How difficult that is to do today in this complicated world!! He also tells them not to be afraid of those who “kill the body but cannot kill the soul”. That “even the hairs on our heads are numbered, so don’t be afraid…you are worth more than the sparrows!” That is an easy (and a necessary) thing to believe in this troubled world! Jesus was treated poorly here on earth and so will we be as Cheristians …more so in other countries, however. To know the Gospel is not enough…to know the Son who will reveal you to the Father is our ultimate goal.
    Concerning the Sabbath, I love that Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath. Those “rules” were so important to the Pharisees that they couldn’t understand Jesus’ deeds of compassion. The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath! His teaching made Jesus a threat and so the plotting for his death began. But we, as Christians, can still have a Sabbath once a week on a day that works for us…just a day to rest, recreate, and thank God for all we have been given!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  MeriLynn.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 6

A parable…an earthly story with a heavenly meaning! I like that. I also liked hearing that Jesus didn’t speak in a “random” way and Matthew, as an editor, didn’t just dump the Parables into his writings. There is order and symmetry…beauty and literacy…there is an asthetic wonder in knowing that these passages work together. They are “allagories steeped in the reality of the place and the day” and understanding the history helps us see it all the clearer.
    I also liked this: “Our Sovereign God comforts those who are afflicted by sin and afflicts those who are comfortable with sin”. How true that is!
    We had talked in class about Matthew being a tax collector and having to keep records, so it makes sense to me that he saw patterns and compared Old Testament Scripture with the fulfillment of them in Jesus for his generation.
    A judgement at the end of the age is a recurring theme in Matthew and the parable of the Weeds makes it even more clear about the rewards to come from following Jesus…Jews and Gentiles alike.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

I like the way you came to the conclusion and referenced the fact that Matthew was once a tax collector and that reflected in his writing style in regards to his record keeping and patterns. Very perceptive of you!

Roberta Leps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew Lesson 1
    First of all thank goodness 1b was much more interesting and easier to follow than 1a!! Just shoot me if it wasn’t, Lol. Even Dr Turner admitted it was capable of being a cure for insomnia which I definitely got a chuckle out of. His sense of humor was refreshkng! Now, Since this wouldn’t be fair to count as my comment, I will continue on to say that I hadn’t realized till this lecture that Matthew’s book, unlike the other gospels, main point to drive home was Jesus’s relationship to the old testaments fulfillment of Israel’s prophecy. As I learned on Wednesday nights from Pastor Steve that the Crimson thread of Jesus starts in Genesis and that’s Matthew’s “crucial theme” to deliver.
    I also like the importance Matthew placed on spreading the good news to all nations, Jews and gentiles. Thank God for the book of Matthew. This book is crucial to my salvation reaching me. GOD IS SO GOOD!!

douglasleps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew I ,lesson 1
    The Gospel of Matthew nails it when it calls for ALL humans to believe in Jesus. It refers as the Church as the community of Jesus’s disciples and proclaims that ” the Gospel must be taken to all the nations”.
    I also found it interesting that by referring to Jesus as “Son of Man” stresses Jesus’s suffering and humility, his power and authority and focuses on the glorious coming of the King.

Roberta Leps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew 1 Lesson 2
    There was a lot of good stuff in this lesson. I really see over and over that “God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform”. It just blows my mind His love for us, His grace, His purpose in His ways. Until it’s pointed out in the Bible and by my teachers I’m often so ignorant to it. Like the fact that Dr Turner points out how Jesus healed people physically and spiritually before they even repented, before they heard him teach. Grace so big my heart overflows with awe and wonder beyond what I’m capable to describe in words! I am so grateful and feel so blessed to be in this Bible Institute! Thank you Pastor Steve; thank you Vineyard Community Church!

douglasleps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew 1 lesson 2
    It was said that Gods grace extended beyond Israel to Gentiles, beyond men to women, and beyond the self-righteous to the sinners. Jesus was not bound by race gender or part scandal in life. Thank God!!!
    We eould have missed out on some amazing people that Jesus used in miraculous ways.
    Gods grace again is overflowing when we see Jesus healing people before the have repented, and giving compassion and help to the people even before they have listened to him preach.

douglasleps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew 1 lesson 4
    I have repeated the LORDS PRAYER more times than I can remember over the years, but I never really gave it much thought. Hearing it broken down, verse by verse and explained I found very interesting. I think it has taken on a whole new meaning for me.

Roberta Leps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew 1 Lesson 4
    So many good things to comment on in this lesson but the one theme that keeps going through my mind the most is when Dr. Turner speaks about our heavenly Father is better than our human parents. I cling to that often as an adult of a very imperfect earthly father that I don’t look up to at all. I find so much comfort and love in my relationship with Jesus, my heavenly, perfect and holy Father who has pure intentions and actions and outcomes.

Roberta Leps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew 1 Lesson 5
    If we share in Jesus Treatment we share in his vindication. Count it as good when we are persecuted for Christ sake. We will share in His inheritance. And if I have to choose between my family or Jesus. I choose Jesus. Because Jesus and his followers are my heavenly family. Know my God given priorities.

douglasleps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew 1 lesson 5
    I always love seeing about how God uses unlikely people. Dr Turner points out that the earliest members of the church were redeemed though flawed!
    How difficult it must have been for the disciples to face not only rejection, but persecution while spreding the word. How they must have felt after seeing how the majority of crowds did not understand Jesus’s miracles, and they were now expected to preach about the Kingdom of God.

Roberta Leps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew Lesson 6. I’ve always liked the parables and feel as if I’ve always understood them. To me it’s like Jesus put these heavenly examples in lay mans terms for my simple mind to grasp.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.