Home Forums Trinity Track The Gospel of Matthew II

This topic contains 70 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Roberta Leps 11 months ago.

• Author

stephenlawes
    Keymaster

Please enter your comments and thoughts on The Gospel of Matthew II here.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 7: I find it interesting that Jesus’s teaching was not widely received when he returned home to Nazareth, as per Matthew 13:54-58, because they had difficulty getting past their familiarity with his family and humble beginning. Since, if I am correct, this was before Jesus publically declared himself as the Messiah, they must have been really shocked when this was revealed.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Shocked and lost…

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 8: Although a number of examples were given concerning the disciples shortcomings, one of the most amazing was when the disciples didn’t understand that Jesus could feed 4000 people when they were recently present when he feed 5000 under the same circumstances!

coopertlc123
      Participant

It seems easy to forget what Jesus has done for us even today. I think every time a Christian commits a willful sin, they have momentarily forgotten the Jesus and the cross.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Yes, and im especially blessed when someone close to me can help me with my shortcomings!

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 10: The professor states that “Israel has rejected its profits throughout history and that rejection would lead to the rejection of its Messiah and his messengers.” Examples of Israel’s rejection of the profits were referenced from the Old Testament as well thus ensuring this was not a New Testament rebuke.

coopertlc123
      Participant

They seemed to reject everything Godly. I rejoice in thinking about how God still loves them because that renews my hope.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 11: The professor postulates that the return of Jesus will occur during a time of relative prosperity and tranquility rather than the more prevalent belief that he will appear when the world events are most tenuous. Although the scripture indicates that the coming can occur at any time, this is the first time I have heard it expressed this way!

coopertlc123
      Participant

I understood that to mean you really can not tell when he is coming, so be ready. I think his point was that many people use the thought of perilous times as an indicator, which could prove to be incorrect. He will come as a thief in the night so I guess not many people will be expecting His return when it happens.

RBosic
    Participant

Lesson 1, A Prophet Without Honor— Matthew 13:57 And they took offense at him, but Jesus said to them, “Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor.”

Lesson 2, Matthew 18:7-8 “Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to sin! Such things must come but woe to the man through whom they come. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.

Lesson 3, Matthew 21:21-22 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, “Go throw yourself into the sea, and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

Lesson 5, Matthew 24:48-51 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, My master is staying away a long time, and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. The master of that servant will come on a day he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1 I agree with what has been said in previous posts about Jesus’s teaching not being received in his hometown. It is also part of the saying, “Familiarity Breeds Contempt”. It seems like a lot of people will listen to a complete stranger before listening to someone they know well.

MeriLynn
      Participant

A very true statement!

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2 Taking your eyes off Jesus and focusing upon obstacles of your world will cause you to stumble, just as Peter did while walking on the water. This is so so true. How often I remember times in my life when I have done just that.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 3 The lesson on forgiveness seems to pertain to Christians forgiving brothers and sisters. If we forgive those who sin against us as God forgives us, this appears to require some action on the part of the sinner to demonstrate a desire to be forgiven. On the other hand, we should not harbor grudges. This has been a philosophical issue with me for some time now. There are professing Christians in my life that have wronged me and continue to do so, and professing Christians that have greatly wronged me and have moved on out of my life, with on attempt at reconciliation. On one hand I do not harbor anger or ill will, but in some cases I can’t help but feel some have used their profession of beings a Christian to abuse others. If the churches were actually involved in discipline, that would help solve many forgiveness issues. Bottom line: Someone should show remorse and desire forgiveness but you can not let anger and an unforgiving spirit effect your life. The only answer to this is to trust the Holy Spirit, God, and Jesus to lead you on the right path, forgive you your sins, and give you love, peace and compassion.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 4 The test question pertaining to the Scribes and Pharisees could possibly have an additional answer. Throughout the Bible, God lets us know that following the law or doing good works without a heartfelt love for Him is mat acceptable. The Scribes and Pharisees were following God, in motions only; not with their hearts.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Number 11 (The compassion of Jesus is seen in His lament over Jerusalem in Matthew 23:37-39) seemed to me to have 2 possible answers too. Had to listen to it several times and still not sure which one to choose since Dr Turner uses 2 answers in his lecture
      A. The mysterious relationship between sovereignty and human responsibility
      AND
      B. His compassion for the inhabitants of the city.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 5 Question 13 on the exam appears to have 2 correct answers?

MeriLynn
      Participant

I had to listen to a part of it again … He says the answer in the beginning summary and again at the end, but I agree… That was a HARD one!!

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 6 Judas did not find forgiveness because he did not have Godly remorse which would have brought him to a place of Godly repentance. Peter, on the other hand, hed both

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Sometimes I wonder if that is due to God calling us first and what motivates our response. Do we want forgiveness by knowing our true mess or do we want something else?…

PBob
    Participant

PERSEVERANCE

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 1

I liked the comparison between Jesus and John the Baptist and Jesus being the builder and Peter being the foundation. Also, the story where Jesus ignores the woman, I would like to learn more about that. It’s a weird story, Jesus, full of compassion, ignoring someone.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

I’d be wise to leave that story alone…

MeriLynn
        Participant

You are funny, Tom!!

MeriLynn
      Participant

Jesus was intensely trying to bring The Kingdom to his fellow Jews. This passage made me sad because I would imagine that Jesus was very sad that they would not accept him…especially in his hometown!

douglasleps
      Participant

Yes lots of comparisons and similarities

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2 (or 8)

Matt. 17 talked about Jesus teaching his disciples and them realizing Jesus’ true identity. It talked about unbelief and opposition to Jesus, and his conflict with Jewish leaders.

Matt. 18 was about correction and forgiveness. It also talked about children, who are often devalued, and that we should come to Jesus the same way, with no status. We find our value in Jesus.

Forgiveness is an ongoing thing. It should be easier for people that have been forgiven much to forgive others.

I thought this was the most interesting lecture so far in Matthew.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Me too and yes, I’m forgiven much!

MeriLynn
      Participant

Yes, we must find our status in Jesus!

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Dr Turner made clear points regarding Peter’s discipleship and us as present day disciples. Sometimes he got it right, and sometimes he got it wrong…that really hit home as we all have the gift of 20/20 spiritual hindsight with both the help of other believers and of course The Holy Spirit.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Matt 2 lesson 1(7)

MeriLynn
      Participant

I love that we , as his disciples, need not be “perfect”… But do our best and look to Jesus with our faith in him.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 3 (9)
    I’ve always been confused about Jesus cursing the fig tree. This helped to make sense of it, showing the fruitlessness of the Jewish leaders.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Yes, but I didn’t catch the answer from the lectures on the second part…

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Me too! I always felt like I cought onto all the parables, except the fig tree one. But after hearing Dr Turners further explanation of them, I now see how much deeper and interesting they are and feel much more enlightenment.

douglasleps
      Participant

A fig tree is nice, but if it bears no fruit, what good is it. Just like the hypocrite Pharisees….. They were all about the show, but didn’t follow their own rules!

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Matt II lesson 2:

Sticking together resonated with me. We’ve been very active over the years with many different denominations. Religious differences are difficult on relationships, but not game breakers.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Like I’ve heard pastor Steve say… it doesn’t matter what religion we are as long as we get the main thing right, Jesus died for our sins, rose again and reigns today!

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Matt II lesson 3:

This lesson humbled me knowing we are rich in family and relatively speaking poor in material things…

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Then your life is a love song to God

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Matt II lesson 4:

It’s hard to imagine all the end times debate people have been having throughout time in the perspective of the disciples, since they knew Jesus was The Christ but had no idea of The Risen Christ.

MeriLynn
      Participant

Yes, Tom. How confusing it must have been for the disciples during all this time at the end with Jesus. It could not have made any sense until they saw him as the resurrected Christ! And had they not seen him to really believe and energize their Gospel message going forward, I doubt the Gospel would be with us today!

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5:

Dr Turners superman example was funny and random. His point throughout the lesson of God’s sovereign will despite our human weakness pushed my buttons well…being eternally forgiven despite my sickening sinful nature blows my mind

MeriLynn
      Participant

Amen, Tom!!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 1 – A Prophet without honor … That’s the heading in my Bible. How sad Jesus must have been when he arrived back in Nazereth and was treated as a carpenter’s son. The people actually took offense to him! His parable of the sowing of seeds became prophetic! These passages are so rich that it is hard to comment on them all, but I too was struck by the “little faith” of his disciples for now they had seen him and heard him and yet still were “dull”. The Canaanite woman’s faith, in comparison, was greater at this point! That he ignored her in the beginning was odd to me but in understanding his great sadness at not being able to reach his fellow Jews, it made more sense. The fact that he listened to her and blessed her with the miracle was totally the Jesus we know. The miracles of feeding 5,000 (probably more like 20,000) and the 4,000 (also a greater number) shows his compassion and his continuing theme odd teaching his disciples to depend on God and Kingdom living. I also liked that Peter’s correct response is immediately followed by his wrong one! So like me but for God’s amazing Grace!!

Roberta Leps
      Participant

I’m guilty of forgetting God’s miracles often when a new crisis arises. Oh to just trust Him right away! No need to fret, doubt, worry or sweat. Just pray with thanksgiving and trust. So nice to hear, so easy to say, yet so humanly hard to do. I’m getting better though!

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Matt II lesson 6:

Resources are generally the motivating factor to most decisions. Dr Turner pointed out that we have unlimited resources through Christ. Asking Holy Spirit to help us through our day to day decisions based on whatever our lot in life pays the best dividends. Dr Turner also inspired us to expect great things through Christ despite our personal inabilities and past failures. I liked that…

MeriLynn
      Participant

I liked that too, Tom!

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Yes, and that we are no different than the Disciples and He can use us in spite of ourselves. Thank You Jesus!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 2
    I always wondered about the Transfiguration and this was a good lesson for me. Moses and Elijah were supporting factors as God again says that Jesus is His beloved son. Moses and Elijah were servants but Jesus was God’s Son. Jesus alone must be heard and obeyed. It was the momentary unveiling of God’s glorious purpose for Jesus which will be completed at
    the Cross and by his resurrection.
    The disciples had little faith still and Jesus explains about the Mustard seed. Faith is not believing in faith but in the Heavenly Father… “It’s not believing that The Father will do what we demand, but that The Father can do whatever is best for us”. I loved hearing that! And yet, the disciples had not yet fully comprehended the power of our Lord!
    I was interested to read with clear eyes the passage about where two or more are gathered. I now see that it was written in the context of church discipline but it was still comforting to know that Jesus will be there with us!

Roberta Leps
      Participant

There is power in the name of Jesus, and Jesus alone! Amen!

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 6

I found it interesting that that during the crucifixion all the things Jesus was mocked about came true.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 3

On the way to the Cross, Jesus is still teaching his disciples as he is answering the “trap” questions of the Pharisees and the Sadducees. The question on divorce was interesting. I liked his answer that the Creator had made us man and woman to be married as one flesh. I also found it interesting that he said that Moses permitted divorce because “their hearts were hard”. I didn’t remember that from the Old Testament.
    The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard has always been a favorite of mine…for who are we to be upset because someone is given more for the same work. He has the right to give as he sees fit and we are to be happy for those who are being blessed!
    Jesus predicts his death three times, but this last one is very detailed. How could he not be the Christ to have known this in advance? And yet, on the way there is still more talk of who will be the greatest!
    I liked hearing what Dr Turner had to say about the fig tree. Jesus depicts the fruitlessness of the Phaeisees and he tells his disciples to have faith and do not doubt. “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer”, Jesus tells them.
    Lord, strengthen my belief so that I may be used by you!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  MeriLynn.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 4

Chapter 23 is the climax of the confrontation between Jesus and the Pharesees and leaders of the day. Jesus denounces them and ties them to their sins and connects them to their ancestors. It is here that Jesus teaches his disciples not to be like them. Matthew is a Messianic Jew, writing to his fellow Jews trying to get them to see test Jesus was the Messiah that they were waiting for. He uses the Old Testament frequently to show this connection through the writings of the Prophets and their “woe to you” messages. Jesus would have sounded contemporary but harsh in these passages because of his anger and grief. Matthew speaks of the Hypocrites 14 times…as they were “pretending sincere religion”…it was “religious fraud”. It was a reminder that we need to mourn the Christian/Jew relationship. They were not following the Law of Moses and yet they sat on the Moses Seat. It’s a check of our character as we, also, tend to be ruined by Hypocracy and vanity!
    Chapter 24 explains the Preterist view and the Futurists view and I agree with Dr Turner here. I believe that Jesus is speaking more about the end times than just the end of the Temple and Temple and the Temple system.
    “The coming of The Son of Man ends the persecution and suffering and begins the glorious rule with Jesus”… I like that line…thank you, Jesus!!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 5

I was struck by De Turner’s statement that genuine followers of Jesus must be ready for we do not know the day or time and we are so apt to get caught up in this complacent world …caught up in the everyday cares of the fruits of our labor. I know that to be true. I struggle with that constantly! The cares are real and good, generally, but how easy it is to sink into asking God to bless our desires instead of asking for His will in ALL things🙁
    In the Parable of the Talents, 5-2-1 was familiar! But it is about being faithful with the gifts God has given us!
    The Sheep and the Goats reminds us to be alert, faithful servants and to have compassion. I found Dr Turner’s take on “compassion for whom” was interesting and that Mother Teresa quoted it but that possibly what was meant was taking special care of our Christian brothers and sisters and especially disciples (or ministers) of Christ. And of course, “whatever you did for one of the least of these, you did for me” rings true.
    The Passion passages are always hard to read for me. I am still in awe of God’s plan from the beginning (as written in the Old Testament) for Him to make a way for us to come into His Holy Presence…and that as hard as it was on Jesus..to the point of sweating blood…that he did The Father’s Will. That the Disciples fled and denied him just reminds us of our human condition and that repentance that brings restoration was the key to overcoming those human-fueled decisions. Again, thank you, Jesus!!❤️

douglasleps
      Participant

Yes, seems to me we have heard Pastor Steve talk about not knowing the time of Jesus’s return, but to be prepared! And who could forget 5-2-1!!!

Roberta Leps
      Participant

That’s very insightful how you tied into our prayers and asking God to bless our daily desires instead of praying only for His will in ALL things, to the when is Jesus second coming question and living too much for the now.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 6

True repentance bears fruit. Judas does not repent or ask forgiveness and rejoin the Disciples…he is full of remorse and hangs himself, which, again is considered a sin. Peter, though his faith wavers and he runs and hides with the rest of the Disciples, is reinstated after the Resurrection and becomes the bedrock of the Christian church.
    The culmination of the rejection of Jesus and his death on the cross, which proclaims salvation and forgiveness of sins through his blood poured out, is a picture of the sacrifices at the alter throughout Jewish history and law …and yet the Jews still could not see him as the Messiah. The mockery that he endured breaks my heart, and yet, because of his resurrection, the curse of Adam and Eve could be broken for those who believed.
    The resurrection of Jesus is the heart of the Gospel message. Without it, there would be no Salvation … the blood of the New Covenant would have been shed in vane, Satan would have won, and the church would not have continued. “Jesus suffering brought Glory and his cross became his crown.”
    The teachings of Jesus, the hope of resurrection and eternity with God is the message and Matthew clearly makes the point that we are to disciple new disciples and that Jesus will be with us until the end of the age.
    Great study!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  MeriLynn.

douglasleps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew II lesson 1
    If I’m correct, have we not discussed the similarities between John the Baptist and Jesus previously?
    Jesus being rejected in his hometown and the beheading of John the Baptist Baptist were both rejections of the Kingdom of God! Can you imagine how they felt after realizing the mistake!
    But even today’s disciples have trouble remembering that present sufferings are not worthy to be compared to the glory to come at Jesus’s return. Amen

Roberta Leps
    Participant

Matthew II, Lesson 2

Theres was a couple very enlightening facts pointed out in this lesson that I’d like to keep in mind and practice. Dr Turners statement that Faith is not believing in Faith but believing in God doing whats best for us. Not our selfish bidding. He may not give us what we are asking for, yet give us what’s best for us in the big picture that we don’t even realize what that is yet. Therefore trusting Him and depending on Him like a child. Another point Dr Turner made about the illustration Jesus gave in Matthew 18 that we should have the qualities and characteristics of a child is not so much thier humility and innocents, yet that they are dependant and trusting, as we should be on our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

douglasleps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew II lesson 2
    Once again, I can’t believe how little faith the disciples showed in the presence of Jesus. Even after Jesus demonstrated “supernatural control of natural process” the disciples still had doubts. Jesus calmed the seas, fed thousands with not much more than table scraps. But as Dr Turner points out, at least after calming the storm they replied, you certainly are God’s s son!
    I must say that I have to disagree with Dr. Turner’s take on the use of, or as he puts it… Misuse of Matthew 18:19-20. I use these verses often when praying for others and truly believe it! I don’t think for a second that it cheapens, or twists the passage into a humorous cliché!
    If anything I think Dr. Turner cheapens Thessalonians, when he refers to it as “Thess” in his lesson. Now that’s bogus!
    Just saying!

Roberta Leps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew II, Lesson 3

“There will be no merchants in heaven”. No love and corruption of money.
    It is the root of so much evil.
    Man cannot not serve money and God.

douglasleps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew II lesson 9
    The rich young ruler who asks Jesus what is required for entrance into the kingdom, is a prime example of how many people I know today feel.
    Pastor Steve talks about it all the time… It’s not by works or deeds, but by repentance and acceptance!

Roberta Leps
    Participant

The Gospel of Matthew II, Lesson 4
    In Matthew 24 where Jesus Foretells the Future, Dr Turners presses into the fact that What Jesus does in the future should have a profound effect on our present behavior to:
    *Stay Alert for His coming
    *Remain Faithful
    *Be Fruitful
    *And be a Servant of Christ (always striving to get one more)

douglasleps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew II lesson 10
    First off, I believe that after listening over and over that there are two correct answers to question 11!?
    I found it interesting that Dr. Turner points out the similarities between Matthew 24: 4-14 and Revelations 6: 1-9! Thanks for the “no charge” on the info Dr. Turner! Owe you one!

douglasleps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew II lesson 11
    Attempt great things for God: Expect great things from God!
    Love this saying.
    Something that I never thought of was the comparison between Peter and Judas. Both were disciples, both denied or betrayed Jesus, both were remorseful, but then when it came to repenting, Judas failed and took his life, whereas Peter repented and went on to spread the Gospel.

Roberta Leps
    Participant

Gospel of Matthew II, Lesson 5
    There was so many good comparisons, quotes, observations and analogies in this lesson such as: the necessity of alertness. How so many are too preoccupied with daily life that we don’t take the Devine Judgement seriously. Like living too much for the moment and not for eternity.
    And how we might think just in a way of fleshly common sense that Jesus 2nd coming would most probably be when the world is in an upheaval, but it could very well be when we are off guard during times of prosperity and tranquility. So stay on guard for the unguarded moment. The enemy likes to strike then also is another great reason to stay alert!
    I found it to be a great reminder when Dr Turner brought to light the humanness of Jesus also. That He got hungry, thirsty and tired and He seeked additional counsel from angels after
    He was tempted… Fully man, yet without sin so He could be the pure holy Sacrificial Lamb.
    I thought it interesting when the lecturer mentioned the 5,2,1 talents example… Doug and I immediately thought how could this connect to Steve’s 5,2,1 mission, but it doesn’t Lol. It’s simply that each individual was given the responsibility the master felt he was capable of handling due to his own faithful stewardship & proven alertness.
    How bout the quote, “Attempt great things for God. Expect great things from God!” What a concept.
    And I’ll just mention one more for the road on the “guessing when” discussion, that Jesus won’t be saying Ahhh, so you got the date right!… but, What have you been doing meanwhile?
    Good lecture Dr Turner. Lots of good stuff… too much to mention.

douglasleps
    Participant

The Gospel of Matthew II lesson 6
    He is Risen from the Dead, just like he said.
    His Cross is replaced with a Crown! Amen!
    The resurrection played such an important role it is undeniable! The fact that it was announced and not explained. As Dr. Turner explained the 8 witnesses.
    The guarantee of final judgment of all mankind. Without the resurrection… Satan would win.
    Finally the climax of the Gospel of Matthew, is the Great Commission, where Jesus has been given all authority and tells hid disciples he will be with them forever.

Roberta Leps
    Participant

Matthew II Lesson 6
    I really appreciate the enlightenment Dr Turner sheds on so many points:
    The difference between the 2 Disciples, Judas and Peters, betrayals of Jesus. How Judas acknowledged his sin, but never sought forgiveness and did not repent. Instead he committed suicide, never returns to Disciples and thus is remembered for that. But Peter, repents and restores his life to Jesus and he returns to his discipleship and goes on to start churches and write books known in the Bible.
    Dr Turner points out how Jesus was crucified because He was not what the Jews “expected” as a military type King, and the fact that in God’s divine plan “Things are not always as they seem and sometimes are the exact opposite”. That the Kingdom is not won by the sword but it is the servants heart that pleases the Father and the Kingdom is won by one repented disciple at a time, like Pastor Steve’s mission of ONE MORE.
    Then he lists the 8 Witnesses to Jesus resurrection and that the heart of redemption is in fact the resurrection of Jesus, because without it we have nothing and he goes through many examples of why that it is so and true, wrapping up the book of Matthew like the biggest gift of mercy and grace
    that salvation is.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.