Home Forums Trinity Track The History of Biblical Counseling

This topic contains 71 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Roberta Leps 9 months ago.

• Author

stephenlawes
    Keymaster

Please enter your comments and thoughts on The History of Biblical Counseling here.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1 Those who live a Godly life will live a successful life and keep Christ in the center of your counseling or you will be incompetent. These two comments were to the point and refreshing to hear.

MeriLynn
      Participant

It was refreshing to hear and a good remInder to stay in the Word in order to have confidence and freedom.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Tried and true in my life. When I’m walking closely with Jesus is when my life is the best. When I stray, things get bad. Living proof. So just persevere keeping God number one where he belongs… Above everyone and everything. Amen!

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2 Until now, I had heard little about the Puritans. I really like their perspective. I would love to go visit one of their churches and listen to their ministers. I have never seen a Puritan Church so I guess they are either gone or maybe just not in the areas I frequent. I think I will do some research on them.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

My son has been learning about the Puritans in his history class. The textbook says they failed for a few reasons. After the original generation died, they lacked their religious fervor. They also lacked the piety of the forefathers and materialism replaced their fervor. It made me think of the Israelites in the Exodus.

tomdoerfel
        Participant

That also makes me think of our country…materialism replacing our love of God

MeriLynn
        Participant

Thanks for that insight, Cheryl. I can see how that could happen…the fervor of our faith gets replaced with materialism even now!

Roberta Leps
        Participant

Thus a point made in this lecture that perseverance in the word of God brings freedom and a good life. God is happy with us and we are happy with ourselves. Sin makes us a slave to sin and thus forfeits that freedom.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 3 Most of the churches, I have attended, do not teach meditation on heavenly truths. They might broad brush through and over it but I have to say I have never heard a good thorough teaching on Biblical meditation. We know Jesus did it and it is something we are supposed to be doing. This lesson did a good job introducing this need in our Christian lives.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Agreed :0)

MeriLynn
      Participant

I agree as well, though I must say that Pastor Steve, over the years, has continued to encourage us to read and meditate on the Word…specifically a Proverb a day.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 4 The lecture on Repentance was awesome. Many churches confuse the word repentance with confession of sins and the asking of forgiveness. I have spoken with many people explaining what repentance really means. This lecture not only supports my position, it takes it several steps beyond my explanation. Many many people believe that when they say the sinners prayer, or go to the alter and pray for salvation, that they have repented during this process. “Yes, I have repented of my sins and now I am saved”, is the common belief. My response, somewhat condensed has been that repentance is a life long, continual, sincere, from the heart, and Godly effort to stop sinning and obey God’s commandments. I am thankful for this lecture because I have much more to add to my own teaching of repentance.

MeriLynn
      Participant

I agree… We must walk out our repentance. I really enjoyed this teaching and learned a lot!

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 5 The blending of the therapeutic and the Biblical approach to counseling is utilized by every Christian Counselor I have ever had the opportunity to speak with concerning counseling issues. I would love to know how it was done by the Puritans and if they were successful working with non Christians or non Puritans. I certainly agree that the Bible contains all we need to meet our needs but I would be unable to follow the exclusive use of the Biblical approach for two reasons. (1) I don’t have enough knowledge of the Biblical approach to use it exclusively (2) I fear that if I used only the Biblical approach, ( given my lack of knowledge), Most people would shut down because I was, “Shoving religion down their throats”. I do believe the Biblical approach, by itself without therapeutic blend, would work providing the counselor had the proper knowledge and faith.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Excellent points and pastor Steve is living proof that solid biblical approaches don’t have to be labeled as shoving religion down people’s throats. In fact, I once heard someone who’s obviously “working out their salvation” say…”I think he(pastor Steve) really believes what he’s preaching about!” That person keeps coming back…

PBob
    Participant

1. I find this very interesting that biblical counseling is a private ministry of the word of God-minister the truths from the inspired word. I like the idea that change is delightful if following God’s words. We must teach with wisdom. Biblical counseling is hard work and we must rely on God to guide us and lead us.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

I think tearing off roofs is hard work. It’s very satisfying knowing Holy Spirit guides us and brings words of life for us to use when helping others.

PBob
        Participant

Hi Tom, you never know when or where spirit will guide us and use us to help others. You and I both know it happens wherever we are.
        Teamwork
        My awareness of the diversity and Oneness of all life deepens.
        Glad to see you are keeping up with your lessons
        See you soon ??
        PBob

Cheryldoerfel
          Participant

I am not out interacting with a lot of people, but our kids sure need a lot of counsel.

PBob
            Participant

Geez Cheryl, That is a lot of people

Cheryldoerfel
            Participant

Haha

MeriLynn
            Participant

That was perfect, Bob! Yes, you definitely have a FULL time job, Cheryl😄

tomdoerfel
            Participant

Pbob is my kinda communicator…dry as the Sahara desert!!!

PBob
    Participant

2. Of the 3 historical patterns the professor focuses on Puritans. Application of God’s words to everyday problems whereas scripture covers every situation in Life. We don’t hear much about Puritans these days. Very interesting!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Tommy’s history class just covered the Puritans. It’s from a Christian school. This was way more interesting than his textbook.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Are we Puritans? If not, how are we different?

PBob
    Participant

3. I like hearing more about meditation and prayer. Meditation leads us to contentment in God’s words and a steady experience of Faith.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

And never saying I wish I didn’t spend so much time with God

MeriLynn
      Participant

Absolutely …to both you, Bob, and to Tom!!

PBob
    Participant

4-9. Modern day “solutions” to problems seems to be to always blame someone/something else always pointing the finger away from ourselves when 4 are pointing back at us. Medicate every problem. Everything can be overcome with God’s Love. A lot of “professional” counselors are some of the most messed up people I have met. I enjoyed learning more about the Puritans and how they had it together to solve every life problem with the Word of God and it is all in the Bible. Yay GOD!!

PBob
      Participant

Thank You God for another course complete. Very refreshing instructor. Prayers at beginning and end of each lecture and easy to follow. Only one test ? that I never heard an answer to to it is multiple guess time.

Roberta Leps
        Participant

I love this course and definitely welcome the prayers!!

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Bob, you’re the best!…I really like your laymans responses

PBob
        Participant

Thanks Tom, I was just thinking how the lessons in the bible apply to us today just as much as when they were written. People have not changed that much. We are just surrounded and influenced by more distractions. Timeless Teachings!!
        PBob

MeriLynn
          Participant

I agree, Bob!! Really enjoying these lessons!

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 1: Biblical counseling needs to be God centered and God glorified not based upon the latest counseling theory. God is at work in the one that is doing Biblical counseling. The Bible is sufficient, capable and effective in addressing every problem of living.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 2: Lutherans believe that the Scripture alone should be the way and guide to salvation and a God pleasing life. The lesson teaches that this is in great contrast to the Roman Catholic Church that relies on many non-scripture influences.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Thinking about those different perspectives reminds me of my grammas favorite saying…”praise The Lord!” and “to each his own”…we had her funeral on her 99th bday and she was accompanied by gramps(they died 26 hours apart from eachother!).

MeriLynn
        Participant

Wow, Tom… I didn’t know that …but truly, that is my heart’s desire… For us to go HOME together!

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 3: Biblical meditation is a means of self counseling.

Gary
    Participant

Lesson 4: A believer’s sin is worse than the non-believer’s for the same sin because the believer knows better and has more grace operating in his heart.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

To whom much is given, much is expected

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 1:

Sanctification, the church word for growing in Christ or the process of being holy, is great advise for helping people through their personal struggles. Biblical counseling is a great tool inside and outside of church circles.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 1

In private counseling the Word of God has authority, is customized, and targets issues. The Lord looks at the heart and it’s the heart that drives the outer man. The Word of God should be a delightful thing. It was designed to be our councelor. We need understanding in how to apply God’s Word.

Sin comes from the heart. Jesus sets us free. Warn, teach, instruct. Teach what is right, with wisdom. The goal is that we may present everyone mature in Christ.

The Word of God is effective for any problem troubling a soul.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2

I learned a lot about the Puritans. It’s interesting, the negative cloud that hangs over them, from our culture.

The Puritans taught the application of God’s word. They preached and counseled for the average man. Baxter’s book, A Christian Directory, is over-loaded with information. Light and heat, first the understanding of truth (light), and then zeal (heat), excited the heart to change. If one is not there then the other is useless.

Loved the CS Lewis quote, “Duty is a substitute for love.”

Also, the phrase, “counseled to a greater fervent love with God.” I want that. :0)

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2:

Puritans sound like a hard act to follow. Our love of duty struck a chord. Light and heat work together when God’s will is our top priority, whatever our lot in life. Real change in my life coupled with spiritual growth started when I started praising Him in ALL things…instead of grumbling about stuff I didn’t want to do, I remember surrendering my will to His daily plan and activity in my life and being thankful…

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 3:

First thought was how quickly these lectures move…18 minutes opposed to 28 minutes and leaving me wanting to listen to more. Also, the idea that Holy Spirit is the only real good in us leaves me extremely comforted…my mess doesn’t need excuses just more grace and mercy knowing Christ is sufficient.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 3

“He that meditates most becomes the best Christian.”

-Get our minds off ourselves and focus on God.
    -Meditation should proceed prayer.
    -Those who neglect meditation will be weak and have cluttered minds.
    -Meditation will awaken and strengthen the soul.
    -We are too busy to fit God into our schedules.
    -Puritans viewed their hearts, we point fingers.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4

The gracious affections

3 points of contrast-personal communion,piety, and integrity

J. Edwards-considered the “last Puritan”

Descriptive-how this is seen

The chief affection-love God, love your neighbor

Love

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 4:

The puritans idea of a rigid daily confession of any sin creeping in, versus our cultures watered down perspective of sin not being all that bad, is good medicine. Also, shame of our sin is necessary but very personal. I sometimes wonder if and how I’d ever tell my kids the devastation, magnitude, and shame I have of my past sinful lifestyle. It does help me tremendously when dealing with people from a similar background.

MeriLynn
      Participant

I agree, Tom. I had much to be forgiven for and so I am a very grateful and repentant sinner who can relate very well to those who are suffering. It truly is how God uses bad things for good and for His purposes!

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Doug and I just had this conversation about how much I tell my daughter about my past. Wether our children will learn from our mistakes or will it give them the license or excuse to repeat. The sentence I fear, “well you did it Mom!” Yes, and it hurt, and the consequences was severe. I would highly recommend not doing the same… and this is how I strive to live today. My prayer is that my children are not like I once was but how I try to live for God today. I come from the school of hard knocks from my own hard head! Please Lord, let them learn from our mistakes, not theirs. As Proverbs 17:10 says “The wise man learns from other people’s mistakes, a fool learns from his own.” I am humbled.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5:

Really great lectures on deep heart issues. If we are to show charisma in all we do, getting back to biblical honesty and reversing psychobabel in our relationships(and culture) is urgent. I want to be used by God in these matters. Puritan ideology has sound teaching in both passion and biblical knowledge.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

I agree 100%. The Puritans followed the Bible to the letter. They were true Physicians of the soul, Giants of Faith! We need to emulate and model their standards. Amen?!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 1

Biblical Counseling is private ministry using the Word of God with the help of the Wisdom that comes from the Holy Spirit. We need to be willing and able to “sustain those who are weary” by keeping our counseling centered on God’s Word and leading them ever closer to a relationship with Jesus Christ.
    I haven’t seen 2Timothy 3:14-17 in a while but I have always loved reading that ” All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” so that we may be trained for every good work. I also know that The Word is excellent counsel for every problem in life. It is our “manual for living”. I have personally been “rebuked” while reading His Word and I’m grateful that it constantly works to keep me on track… Thank you, Lord, for Your Grace because I’m a constant “work in progress”!!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  MeriLynn.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5

Loss of Biblical authority and minimizing sin

I’ve been reading some older English novels and classics and am surprised that in them there is much talk about sin and theology. They are books that we learned were classics but were never encouraged to read, like Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Robinson Crusoe, etc. It’s interesting because it seems like most people now aren’t concerned with sin at all.

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Now there are other names for it like syndromes and mental illnesses, treated with secular therapy and medications, giving excuses and laying blame. We so need to get back to the Puritans standards of Biblical Counseling and the Neuthetic Counseling approach. All following the counseling described and prescribed in the Bible.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 2

Let me begin by saying that I am thoroughly enjoying Dr Edgington. I love that he prays us in and out of each lesson!

It was interesting to hear about the different views of pastoral care…esecially the Roman Catholic Church. I had. Wondered what the sacrements were, so now I understand that. I was kind of amazed that they consider Divine Authority as being not only God’s word, but also the Pope and Bishops!
    I guess I am more in line with Puritan teachings. I believe that the Bible is our manual for living. I like the “matured holiness and seasoned fortitude” form of counseling but wonder if I will ever reach it…I am not afraid to be moved and pray often to be stirred by the Holy Spirit. I liked light equals knowledge and heat equals passion. Loving God and delighting in God has a lot to do with how we will counsel others. It’s not how much we “do” but how we love…duty without love in not accepted as “works”.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 3

AGain, I love these teacHings! I wish I knew the “17 passages” that Dr Edgington mentioned.
    The book of Proverbs is one that I have read daily and meditated on and they have enriched my life over time.
    I also have learned over time to be aware of not only what I do but specifically why I do it…motivation is
    the key to why I feel the way I do after doing something that “hurts my heart”. I can see why the Puritans believed and practiced “mortifying sins of the flesh”, but as the professor said, in a world so cluttered, we tend not to search our own souls for the root of the problem but say “I wouldn’t havE if you hadn’t” all too often!

Roberta Leps
      Participant

I loved all this points also. We do as a society tend to make excuses and labels for our dysfunctions. Everything is a syndrome and has a medication. It is actually freeing to take responsibility for our sins rather than blaming and being a victim. And we do have to be diligent a squash that sin in its bud before it grows legs and stomps out our light!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 4

Faith and repentance … Matthew 4:17 is Jesus’ first teaching on repentance and in Luke 24:47, Jesus teaches on repentance and the forgiveness of sin.
    We in America today take sin very lightly. We tend to view God as a loving Father, but forget that He is Holy and Just.
    The Puritans did not view God that way. They lived with the “fear of the Lord” which produced respect for His Word and constant repentance for their humanness. We also must love the things that God loves and hate e sin but not the sinner.
    I was very taken by 1 John 1:19 as a new Christian. I needed forgiveness and a thorough cleansing! I still cringe at sin and though I will never be perfect, I try to catch myself at it, turn from it, confess it, and run back towards my Heavenly Father with genuine sorrow in my heart. The message was that this genuine sorrow in your heart produces repentance. The ultimate issue for me and many Christians is to catch ourselves in this world of “everything is permissible”.
    I had never heard of the “gracious affections” before. I found this portion very interesting. We must always check out motivation as a believer. We need conviction in the heart and understanding in the mind. And the most important of these gracious affections is LOVE!!

Roberta Leps
      Participant

Thoroughness describes the Puritans. I admire them and desire to emulate thier quality of Christianity!

douglasleps
    Participant

History of Biblical Counsel lesson 1
    I love that Dr. Eddington begins and ends the lesson with prayer.
    Sorry Dr.Turner, but I’m glad we are finished with you.
    This seems like it’s going to be very interesting. Pastor Steve often speaks of how we are born into sin, but to hear that sin comes from our own hearts, not from society, our parents, our environment, or mental illness hits home and puts the burden back on us.
    For us to enjoy freedom, we must persevere in the word of Christ, for if we become a slave to sin, we will lose our freedom!

Roberta Leps
    Participant

It was so refreshing that Dr David Edgington started and ended this lecture in prayers!
    He made clear through scriptures that our sin starts in our hearts, not how we we’re raised, our surroundings, or mental problems.
    I found it interesting that historically Christians believe that knowing Jesus is the original and abiding “cure of the soul, yet society tries other avenues and methods and call it psychiatry and psychotherapy which derive from 2 Greek words for “cure for the soul”, Ironically.
    A disciple is one who perseveres in the words of Christ. This brings freedom and good life. GOD is happy with you and you are happy with yourself The truth will set you free. The admonition and warning is that sin, makes you a slave to sin and forfeits your freedom good life and happiness. It sounds like simple math, doesn’t it?! Think I’m really gonna enjoy this fresh, new series!

Roberta Leps
    Participant

The History of Biblical Counseling Lesson 2
    I gather that as a Vineyard Church member, that we agree with the Puritans view and therefore consider ourselves Puritans? I still wouldn’t mind reading those 5 in between books of the catholics, and am interested in why they are ultimately left out of the books of the Bible. I’m sure Pastor Steve covered that at some point (probably more than once) during the last 19 years of my church attendance at our Big Pine Vineyard.
    I definitely agree with all the Puritans beliefs discussed here, ie: The First Light, then Heat concept stated by Richard Baxter. That first we understand with the mind, then we love with the heart. First truth, then ferverantcy. I like that the Puritans believe in being Physicians of the soul. That they taught the Great Commandment, to Love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. That keeping God’s commandments is the direct effect of that ferverant Love. That love and delighting in the LORD should be the main activity in our lives.
    I would love to own a copy of the book that Dr David Edgington emphasized upon, called a Christian Directory, by Richard Baxter.
    I am enjoying this series very much. I’m excited and feeling the heat!

Roberta Leps
    Participant

The History of Biblical Counseling
    Lesson 3
    Biblical meditation is an area I could definitely improve on. I don’t know what it is about mediation that I do not understand. Is it that I can’t sit still and quiet long enough? Is it that I cannot clear my mind? Is it that I don’t set aside that time? I need to look into this further and improve in this area of my walk with Christ. I do want the nourishing benefits that I do get a certain amount just from hearing His word taught to me through attending church, these lessons, learning, studying, reading, worshipping and fellowship. I do wish to be much more proficient in memorizing and quoting scripture whenever the opportunity or application arises, wether it’s when I’m trying to get one more, or in prayer, or when someone is seeking counsel. This is an area I need to work on for sure.

Roberta Leps
    Participant

History of Biblical Counseling
    Lesson 4
    Repentance defined by the Puritans brings this verse to my mind:
    Matthew 7:13+14 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow is the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
    Lots of food for thought in this lesson. A lot of wisdom provoking self examination.

douglasleps
    Participant

History of Biblical Counsel lesson 4
    Again I have to say that I am so pleased that Dr. Eddington begins and ends his lectures with prayer.
    This lesson was a great reminder and eye opener to the way that society has made it OK to sin! “Everybody’s doing it” seems to be the theme. But a look back at the Puritans brings us back to the reality of sin and repentance. I found the comparisons between false repentance and true repentance to be very enlightening. Thankfully we gave a loving Father who welcomes us back when we fail to do the next right thing.

douglasleps
    Participant

History of Biblical Counsel lesson 5
    Jay Adams says it best I think….” No problem encountered today by man is outside the scope or principals of the scriptures”. No matter how watered down or acceptable our modern day society wants to make it. Sin is Sin. U can’t prescribe a pill, or hypnotherapy, or psychotherapy to cure it. Repentance is the only cure. And the only Doctor us God.

Roberta Leps
    Participant

History of Biblical Counseling
    Part 5
    Problem today is a loss of Biblical authority. The Puritans were true Physicians of the Soul. Too many counselors today use more of a msecular therapy. A type of watered down biblical counseling. Theology Verses theory. We fail to love the right things and hate the wrong things. The Neuthetic Counseling sums it up, that the Biblical counselor use scripture to confront out of Concern (love) which leads to change (repentance) and restored relationship with God. And finally stated… “there is no problem encountered by man today that is outside the scope and principals taught in Scripture.” Puritans were faithful physicians of the soul, Giants of Faith. I think our pastor Steve, the Vineyard, uses the Gracious Affections approach… LOVE is what motivates the believer to obey the Commandments.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.