Home Forums Vine Track The Kingdom of God

This topic contains 217 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  coopertlc123 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

stephenlawes
    Keymaster

After you have completed the requirements for each lesson you need to post a comment about something that you found interesting. You also need to post a follow-up comment on two(2) other students comments on the lesson. (If there are no other students comments in the topic then you only need to post your own comment).

bendoerfel
    Participant

I am at a loss for words after reading this chapter. I’ve never even thought twice about the meaning of the kingdom of God until now. I’m amazed and in aw at the complexity of the kingdom of God and very excited to keep learning more about it!

Douglawes
      Participant

Although I have thought about the Kingdom of God more than twice, I am also excited to learn more about it!

tjdoerfel
    Participant

So we live in tension of the kingdom of God being partly here, but not fully here. We catch snapshots of it in between all courses life takes. And also to ask and strive for his kingdom in our daily lives is a part of it. Very cool to look at the 3 ways scripture talks about the Kingdom of God.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

TJ, when I pray the Lord’s Prayer I never hurry. I say a phrase slowly, then say it in my own words, what it means to me. When I say ‘Thy Kingdom come’ I picture heaven on earth or me in heaven. I can never rush through it.

Douglawes
    Participant

The Kingdom of God belongs to little children such as these – Jesus taught that those who are like the little children, that go to God when they need help – receive the kingdom. This is both an eternal prize (age to come) and now (present age). We get tastes of the kingdom today, but the best is yet to come.

edoerfel
      Participant

Yes, childs minds are so open to learning and innocent. Our adult “matured” minds are easily swayed by the culture and are limited. Itd help us if we strived to have minds like children

jdoerfel
    Participant

I love thinking about and being challenged to think about topics like this! I’m so stoked to continue reading and learning and understanding about all that God’s kingdom is and shall be. It’s so intense and mind boggling. And the way that everything ties together is so amazing.

edoerfel
    Participant

I thought it was fascinating when it stated “The Gospel of redeeming grace has the power to save the social, economic and political orders as well as the souls of individual believers.” And when it talked about how the kingdom of God is slowly transforming the world.

We may not feel it alot of the the time but God has a plan. Even in all the bad that goes on, in some supernatural way its part of his plan as crazy as it seems. Our human brains cant fathom why a perfect God would let sin into the world. Theres a bigger picture in the kingdom of God.

kurtdoerfel
    Participant

This verse stuck out to me and had me thinking about it from a slightly different point of view.

We must also “seek first his kingdom and his righteousness” (Matt. 6: 33). What is the object of our quest? The Church? Heaven? No; we are to seek God’s righteousness—His sway, His rule, His reign in our lives.

I really think this is the key. And I feel like we can accomplish this by keeping up with our connection with him(prayer,reading, and our act) and also by Steve’s engraved reminder of living by trying to do the next right thing.

There is lots of material in this that we could reflect on but that verse stood out to me.

nnewton
    Participant

I never thought about it that much, the kingdom of God.
    I just automatically defined it as heaven while reading.

This makes me want to ask people “what’s the kingdom of God?” To hear their answers.

Its fun to read about how many different takes there are on the kingdom of God.
    Some answers about the Kingdom of God may be true or false and thats why I liked the paragraph referring us to read scripture for our definition of the Kingdom Of God.
    This reading reminded me just like anything else we have questions about, we can go to scripture for the correct answer to our questions, not worldly opinions.

nnewton
      Participant

To Kurts comment.

Yes, i agree that that scripture gets you thinking differently once you are focusing on what Gods kingdom actually is.

“Seek first Gods kingdom and his righteousness”
      What are we seeking? His kindom? Whats that supposed to mean?

This course gives us a great definition.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Nina, I didn’t think too much about the Kingdom either. I just thought of it as heaven. Tommy’s Omnibus class does street interviews where they ask questions like, “What is the Kingdom of God?” It’s interesting to hear what people say, and then look at what the Bible says.

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

This verse in (Matt 6:33) seek first the Kingdom of His righteousness also really sticks out to me, and the question afterward. What is the object of our quest? The church? Heaven? No we are to seek His righteousness. His sway, His rule, His rein in our lives. I love that.

PBob
      Participant

Nina, I totally agree. What wonderful insight we are getting.

bendoerfel
    Participant

Really liking this book. When it talks about satan being the god of this age it really makes me think hard. Makes me wonder what Gods up to in his eternal plan if that makes sense. Trying to understand how the kingdom is slightly here now but not fully and will be someday is easy to understand but also hard. The pieces that we get of the kingdom now almost hide themselves a little I feel like. Reading this book is shedding light on them. Loved all the contrast between light and darkness.

To dougs comment, I like thinking about God like I’m a little kid and he’s my dad. For some reason it’s so simple and easy to just understand all the second chances we get and how much he loves us.

jdoerfel
    Participant

The diagram that this book gives you gives an interesting spin to how things are going down. It put how this age passes into the Age to Come in a more easily understood perspective. When it first brings up the millennium, the author says it brings up a lot of questions that he wasn’t going to discuss. When I read that I was all, ‘awwww no fair’

edoerfel
    Participant

We were just talking about following Jesus as a little child, innocent, and an open mind!
    I never fully understood this verse until reading this:
    Jesus said that we must “receive the kingdom of God” as little children (Mark 10:15). What is received? The Church? Heaven? What is received is God’s rule. In order to enter the future realm of the Kingdom, one must submit himself in perfect trust to God’s rule here and now.

I sometimes thought, “how do we receive a kingdom?
    The english dictionary doesn’t do the bible justice and is another reason why why we need to dig into the original text.

His kingdom is here and now but also is to come. Something supernatural about it that we cant fully comprehend!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  edoerfel.

edoerfel
    Participant

The Church should be thought of as – a bit of heaven on earth.
    BOOM!

tjdoerfel
    Participant

Interesting how I haven’t heard that much about the different words in Greek Kosmos and aion. World and age. Sure changes things a little.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I thought the same thing TJ. Now I will have to learn Greek.

coopertlc123
        Participant

It certainly does make it more clear.

ardisconner
    Participant

It is great to know that when we submit ourselves to God, we can enjoy the Kingdom of God now, receiving spiritual blessings, peace, joy, and that we will be part of the Kingdom of God forever in the future.

nnewton
    Participant

I like the paragraph about the translation of the greek word “Katargeo”.

It was the word in place of destroy, but Karargeo doesn’t mean destroy it means literally to put out of action.

So when you read that Christ destroyed satan, it means Christ put him out of action.

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Lesson one, Sunday night group.
    I have always found the topic of God’s Kongdom to be a little confusing, yet Dr. Ladd has a beautiful explanation in the first chapter. He shows that the ancient definition of “kingdom” from the Hebrew word malkuth and the Greek word basileia denote reign and realm. Thus the Kingdom of God is about God’s reign (His rule, sovereignty, authority) and God’s realm (His place) both here on earth now and in heaven to come. With this in mind I have a better understanding of what I have been praying since childhood: “Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.”
    Rudy

jdoerfel
    Participant

Whenever I read the gospels where Jesus talks about the coming of the age, or Paul’s epistles that talk a bit about, it always left this feeling and thought in my head that wished it was explained a little better. Each chapter of this book makes so much sense out of this stuff. I never knew that there are three stages in the coming of the age, and that part about Jesus’ death taking the evil one out of action was a major news flash.

edoerfel
    Participant

Satan is a defeated enemy. 
    That gives me great hope knowing we aren’t enslaved to Satan in this evil age,

Satan is the god of This Age, yet the power of Satan has been broken that men may know the rule of God in their lives.
    To the human eye, the world appears little changed; the kingdom of Satan is unshaken. Yet the Kingdom of God has come among men

bendoerfel
    Participant

Steve has always talked about satan being rendered powerless at the cross but I’m now fully understanding what he meant. I’m so thankful for Gods gift to us of kingdom blessings in this age! Reading more about how the kingdom is already partially here gives me chills. I’ve always wondered why we don’t see demons a lot, maybe they aren’t in this part of the world as much as other places, or maybe since the kingdom is here through the cross and the church we are winning the spiritual war and there’s not a lot left? Totes

tjdoerfel
    Participant

I can’t wait for the total defeat of Satan, sin, and death. Until then I pray for the kingdom to continually come in my life and those around me, that I can help others be spiritually awakened and be joined with us in The Kingdom of God.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

I like the idea that Jesus’ followers have already entered the realm of the Kingdom. We are in it. To enter, submit and trust God to rule. It was also helpful for me to put all these words together in a list: reign, realm, future, present, eternal life, His reign, His rule, His sovereignty.

Tjack456
      Participant

I agree Cheryl. Prior to Steves sermons and this class, I equated the Kingdom of God as Heaven, or “where he lives”. Yet since he lives inside of us, it makes sense that his kingdom is also already here.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Generally, I tend to think of the kingdom as a place to be. It’s very comforting thinking of it in these other manifestations.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Rudy, I too have memorized many prayers since childhood without really recognizing the complexity and reality of those simple prayers.

Ed, recognizing the omni… fill in the blank…of God’s reign is truly awesome

jdoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 4 was a huge game changer for the way I understood a lot of Jesus’ parables. The parables of the leavened bread and mustard seed always seemed as though they were about the gradual takeover of God’s kingdom or rule.

edoerfel
    Participant

The Kingdom of God is here; but instead of making changes in the external, political order of things, it is making changes in the spiritual order and in the lives of men and women.”

The Holy Spirit moves in men from the inside out. Jesus did not come to snap his fingers and make everything perfect like magic, he came to have relationship with us and genuinely change us from the inside out!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

The Kingdom of God has come in an unexpected way. It can work among people and not be recognized.

coopertlc123
      Participant

The gradual changes are an extension of our free will and demonstration to God that we are sincere and intend to finish the race. Only those people will actually realize the complete inside to outside change.

bendoerfel
    Participant

I never thought about the parables that much so this chapter was a great read. Learning about Gods kingdom and realizing how it’s somewhat here now is a great encouragement for me. I like what dad Doerfel said about the comfort it brings us. Like Tj I’m always excited to see God come in his glory and bring the age to come and the kingdom to its fullness

ardisconner
    Participant

I was glad to reread the parables and hear explanations of them, particularly the parable of the tares or weeds. I wasn’t quite sure what it meant but now it makes total sense that the weeds and wheat must grow together, knowing that the weeds are the sons of the evil one and the good seeds are sons of the kingdom. Only at the end of the age we will no longer be surrounded by wickedness.

MeriLynn
      Participant

That was interesting for me to read too, Ardis. I always thought that we were to fight against the evil around us… As in “pull the weeds”. But I see now that this is the “age of evil” and we are to live “in it”but not “of it”. Only Christ can bring an end to evil.

coopertlc123
        Participant

Agree. That is one of the reasons why Christ instruct us to be in the world and not of it

PBob
    Participant

How!

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2 struck me in a candid way about heaven being more in terms of an age to come and less of a place…although it is a place. Getting caught up in my mind what heaven will be like as a place seems less significant when thinking in the perspective of an age to come. With the intrigue of all the prophetic statements throughout the bible, it gave me more of a sense of urgency about how I spend my time as a representative of Christ, attracting as many people as possible into the kingdom…particularly those we get to know and care for.

Ben, I had the same thought after realizing who the god of this age really is, yet being a child of The King transforms us beyond satans crippling effect of our human nature-sin.

Joe, that graph helped my perspective and understanding as well. Also very pumped about reading on and applying these principles to daily life.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

People wonder how much worse things can get…economic inequality, political mistrust and unrest, random acts of violence in our streets and schools, vulgar entertainment, and the list goes on. Lesson 3 makes me think how Satan wants people to think that money, politics, education, social programs, or whatever will fix things of this world. Only the mercy, grace, and power of the kingdom of God will result in an age at peace.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Nina and TJ, learning more accurate meanings of our loosely translated English is eye opening when scriptures are studied in their correct context. Thank you lord for our gifted scholars!

PBob
    Participant

Kingdom of God 1
    Why does it have to be so complicated??? I am not an egghead nor do I do well in reading. I can hear, I can feel, I can act. It seems simple enough to me until I read or hear the eggheads over analyzing every word. It make me want to quit and just get back to prayer and listening for Gods answers and guidance.
    I just read all the comments and find it interesting how the young folks have become so passionate about this.
    I liked the comments about being like children. We need to keep it simple.

PBob
    Participant

I’ll Try!
    Kingdom of God 2
    Struggling to get through this chapter after many sidetracks and delays. I found it interesting to learn of the 3 ages of time and that the God of this age is Satin. I still think it is a bit eggheadish for me.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

(kind of like dissecting a frog) :0) My brain doesn’t dig so deep. If it makes sense, I accept it. I feel like it’s overanalyzed too. It must make some people tick though.

PBob
        Participant

Thanks Cheryl, it is getting better when Steve simplifies it for us. Helps to be back with the rest of us student on the journey.

PBob
    Participant

Kingdom of God 3
    It’s too complicated and I am going to quit! SATAN BE GONE!!! JESUS HELP ME!!!
    Keep it simple Bob. I found it interesting that we have a “taste” of the age to come while we are between times. The Kingdom of God is the Reign of God through Christ destroying the enemies of God’s reign.

stephenlawes
      Keymaster

Hi Bob! I will start the video teaching on the Kingdom of God tonight and I think it will help explain it all. Don’t be overwhelmed by what you are reading. You don’t have to figure it all out or understand it all right away. Why don’t you let me catch up to where you are with the videos before you keep reading on. Be at peace!

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Kingdom of God 2 & 3.
    The whole time I was reading chapter 2 about the kingdom to come, I kept thinking about the promise that the kingdom was here also, in the here and now. In chapter 3 Dr. Ladd provides a beautiful explanation that the kingdom that is to come does exist now. It is the taste of things to come that gives us more than just an insurance policy of eternal life. It is the power of the kingdom of God that gives us the strength to overcome conformity to this dark world that we live in.
    It is so beautiful that God is not constrained by our (mis)understanding of time.

MeriLynn
      Participant

I love your last line, Rudy… I agree … It is “beautiful” 💖

patriciakuhn
      Participant

Lesson 3. I agree Rudy about our misunderstanding of what time is. It was confusing at first how This Age and The Age To Come could be overlapping until I let go of what my idea of time was.

PBob
    Participant

OK Steve, Not sure how to reply to a post.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Get r done Bob! I feel your pain…no pain, no gain!

PBob
        Participant

Thanks Tom, You know I deleted my previous posts on chapters 1-3. I really don’t like this forum thing. Thanks for the text.

edoerfel
          Participant

hey now don’t bash the forum! its great!

PBob
            Participant

No Bashing!! Next your going to tell me I have to give up my flip Phone. and get an I thing.

Tjack456
            Participant

He told you that last decade, Bob. 😆

sheilawiedenheft
            Participant

LOL I am having a tough time doing the forum too Bob. I find that it is pushing me to reach outside of my comfort zone, I actually am starting to enjoy it, just a little, but we have to start somewhere!?! LOL

MeriLynn
            Participant

I love reading everyone else’s and get lost in them… Then when it’s time to write mine, I see that it’s all been covered and I struggle to bring something new to the plate!!

MeriLynn
            Participant

Okay… I commented on Sheila’s comment and it did not “nestle in”… Maybe there is a time delay???

PBob
          Participant

You are right Steve, they did not delete. Have to be very careful.

bendoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 5

This really helped me see the bigger picture and put me in awe at how God pulls his plan together. Literally perfection. He is God I’m not that surprised ha. Very comforting to see his plan back then and think what he’s going to do when Jesus comes back!

Don’t see any other comments on 5 yet guess I’ll have to come back.

edoerfel
    Participant

Kingdom of God Lesson 5

“The Scripture is clear that our knowledge is partial.”
    Sometimes it’s hard to fathom things; things we read in the bible, or I ask how can God allow this or how does God still love me after what I did? God’s supernatural unconditional love is overwhelmingly over us and we can’t understand it its out of this age.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  edoerfel.

jdoerfel
    Participant

Mind blown again with this book. Eternal life=knowledge of God. Holy cow. I never thought of it like that before. I always thought that eternal life just meant that when you die in the physical world, your spirit goes up to heaven and you live forever with God. The part about the mystery of the kingdom was sick too. I’m so thankful that we can enjoy and experience the Age to Come in our present evil age

rudyrudolph
      Participant

So well stated. Love your last line that we can enjoy and experience the Age to Come in our present evil age. Praise God for His revelation…Rudy

nnewton
    Participant

I found it eye opening when that there will be no more bible conferences, no bible schools and seminaries, no Sunday schools and bible classes because we will know the Lord and wont need any more instruction in the age to come!
    We will have a perfect knowledge of God. I never thought about that before.

But we still have the future age in the present age so we have already been introduced to this knowledge of God some what.

Think about every thing we know now of God and christianity but then to think about having a Complete full knowledge of literally everything about God is just amazing.
    All of the questions we have about anything will be answered with a full understanding!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 1 The Kingdom of God

I am finally feeling well enough to begin this series and, at this point, I have to say… Feeling a bit “out of the loop”! Everyone is so far ahead of me!!
    I read Chapter one twice while still medicated and looking back, I’m laughing at how intensely I was trying to study every word! I just read it again and thouroughly enjoyed learning that The Kingdom is His kingship, His rule, His authority… In Heaven, on earth, and in me as I submit myself in perfect Trust to Him. I too thought the Kingdom of God was another meaning for Heaven. I am so grateful to know that in seeking His righteousness, I am doing His will and will receive the blessings that follow in this lifetime as I long for His Kingdom in the Age to come…. My forever HOME.

I loved reading the Forum and getting the perspectives of our youth… So fresh and open minded!
    Ed, your take on striving to be open minded and innocent “like children” is something I need to remember to strive for!
    I also liked your phrase about being changed from the inside out and that Jesus didn’t come to snap his fingers to magically bring that change, but wants a relationship with us to affect that change from the inside out! Cheryl, I enjoyed seeing it all spelled out in your “list”… Very helpful to me as well.

PBob
      Participant

Well said, I really struggled at first but it is getting better. We all need to help each other. I agree with reading the forum giving me fresh ideas from our youth.

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Kingdom of God 1
    I love the way it explains it. There are so many things I could right about but I think it simplifies it for me in the parable we read in (Luke 19:11-12) When it tells of a Nobleman went to a far country to receive a basileia and then return. The nobleman did not go away to get a realm, an area over which to rule. The realm over which he wished to rule was already there, The problem was that he was not a king he had no right to rule, he needed authority. Therefore Gods Kingdom refers to His rein, His rule, His sovereignty, and not the realm over which it is exercised.

Tjack456
      Participant

Sheila before we studied it I always equated the Kingdom of God with Heaven. I had never realized the kingdom of God is also here on earth, as it is also under his reign, his rule, his sovereignty and his authority . Exciting stuff!

coopertlc123
      Participant

When I pray “Thy Kingdom come” it will have a whole different meaning for me.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Chapter 2 was very “comfortable” reading for me (as opposed to the first chapter). This is what Pastor Steve has taught me all these many years and it is my understanding and my “truth”. I did enjoy reading it and seeing it in graph form… I did not know the word “Parousia”… The second coming of Christ. I also enjoyed learning the words “Kosmos and aion” and how differently the Scripture reads with the correct translations. The phrase “The entire sweep of man’s existence is set forth in terms of this age and the age which is to come” has more meaning for me today as a child of God and an eternal being. There is no distinction… No stopping… Just my creation on through to eternity as I follow My Jesus. The spirit which is inherent in this age IS about worry and anxiety and ambition and greed and all the other burdens listed there! As a mere human, I find myself heading in those directions occasionally … The difference is that today I am aware! I lose my peace… I lose my connection… I find myself trying to accomplish in my own power… And I STOP, turn around, ask forgiveness and run back into the Peace that is God. The root of evil? Blindness, darkness and unbelief! How much better it is to “live in the Light”!!

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Kingdom of God 3

Living in a hands on world with street smarts, I’ve always admired people with a high degree of book smarts like my wife…and of course the list goes on. Reading this chapter motivates me to increase my book smarts. To me, living in “this age” is like having street smarts and weaving “the age to come” into “this age” seems to be more like recognizing the power of Christ-Our Redemption-The Word and putting it into action in my every day life(the street smart part)…then the book smart part is sometimes calling on the ability to use words that glorify God and draw people to Him in every day-laymans language.

I know the Word says to always be ready with an answer for our faith and not to worry about the words as God will give them to us when we need them…as this happens regularly. However, our studies have helped simplify what I used to think of as a mind boggling task of understanding a book written in too many different languages that aren’t even in chronological order.

edoerfel
    Participant

Kingdom of God chapter 6-
    One thing stuck out to me about how we must forgive, i find christians today including myself are guilty of not forgiving from the heart, i never paid close attention to The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant.. but to see how the servant was forgiven a debt of millions of $$ and yet he couldn’t forgive a fellow servant for 20 bucks is crazy! yet i think if we look closely we do the exact same thing all the time! every chapter, this book gives us more reasons why we NEED the kingdom of God to breakthrough today.

PBob
      Participant

Yah Ed, I forgave like that once and I was thinking about that parable at the time. Can you imagine forgiving someone 490 times. Only with the help of Jesus.

bendoerfel
    Participant

Ch 6

I like what Ed said about how we don’t forgive like we should. Totes true. It’s easy to just go through life and not pay close attention to it. The standard that it kept going back to was eye opening and made me really thankful for Jesus and everything he’s done because without him there’s no way we could get anywhere close to that kind of righteousness. I like how he said we can only give out what we have revived from God. It made me think well we have received forgiveness for all our sins from Jesus shouldn’t we be able to forgive everyone for anything? Hmm lots to think about. Also liked how he talked about Christians today just conforming to the worlds way of things and not going back to biblical principles of life.

PBob
      Participant

. RIGHTEOUS

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It is interesting how we Christians have conformed to so many worldly ways, and that they are accepted to be normal.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2

It’s interesting to look at things in two ages, not two worlds.

The conflict between the Age and the Gospel of the Kingdom is intense. I try not to dwell on evil, I know it’s there, but some of the phrases — “the spirit or the Age is hostile,” “Satan is the ‘god of this age,'” and “evil is more human,” and “It has its source in an evil, superhuman personality,” remind me how real it is, and I have to turn to the promise of the future, eternal life with Jesus.

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

Lesson 2

I was struck by the way this chapter describes in Gal 1:4 That Christ “gave Himself for our sins that He might deliver us from this present evil age.” This age is an evil age characterized by sin and unrighteousness . An age where men need deliverance, deliverance which can only be accomplished through the death of Christ.
      That being said in this age human nature is dominated by wickedness and a rebellion against the will of God. But we have good news, in “The age to come” We will be living in sharp contrast. No longer struggling with the influence of Satan and the present age evil. The Kingdom of God belongs to the age to come. The Kingdom of God has the perfect manifestation of Gods reign and the realm of completed redemptive blessing. How exciting it is just to think of this!

patriciakuhn
      Participant

Lesson 2
      I agree Cheryl. “Kingdom of the Evil One” and “Kingdom of Darkness” sounds scary and discouraging at times, and am so glad that we can be set free from it by Christ.

bchiagouris
    Participant

The idea that the Kingdom of God is dwelling inside each believer is an incredible truth. However, in order for this truth to be come a reality, it must become pneuma or the very breadth of God within each of us.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Lesson 2
    While we wait for the age to come, we have this tremendous privilege and honor in ushering others in the Kingdom by our testimony. I think about what the Apostle Paul writes in 2nd Corinthians 4:7 that we have this treasure in earthen vessels, and that treasure is the knowledge of the Glory of God dwelling inside each of us to fulfill God’s purpose in our lives. God’s glory is all the attributes that make Him God: His love, His compassion and the very power of the Holy Spirit which enable us to expand the Kingdom of God today.

MeriLynn
      Participant

I love that as we submit to God, and live in the Light, we have the ability (because of our testimony and the Grace of God) to draw others to us… To draw them out of the darkness and into the light with love and compassion and the truth they see reflected in us!!😊

bchiagouris
    Participant

Chapter 3
    In our men’s group as we completed the book “When the enemy strikes” each man left with a new confidence, boldness and awareness of their identity in Christ. It’s important for us all to realize that though the little god of this present evil is powerful,”Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.” 1st John 4:4. Understanding the importance of getting dressed with the Armor of God each day can keep the Kingdom of God victorious in your life daily.
    On another note is an overwhelming thought to see how the Parousia will occur. What will we feel? What will we see? What will we be doing? I hope I am in the midst of a worship service and not grumbling about some menial incident in my life.

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

I love what you said in you comments above, all of it. But I must admit I too often wonder what I will be doing. I hope we are both in the midst of worship!

MeriLynn
      Participant

I agree, Barry! I believe that if we don’t get out of bed and put on the Armor of God, we leave ourselves vulnerable! There is so much “ever-present” evil around us these days that it’s easy to get distracted by the evil one!! And I pray I am Worshipping God when that day comes as well😄

PBob
      Participant

Great Book. Helps us to prepare to face the “real” world that we live and move in.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

Lesson 3. I am glad that Satan is considered the “little god” of This Age. That puts it into a better perspective of how powerful God is.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Chapter 4
    I liked the author’s interpretation of the “Mystery of the Kingdom of God” understanding it is “hidden in the counsels of God for long ages but finally disclosed in a new revelation of God’s redemptive work.” Genesis 3:15, the Crimson thread of Redemption is now opened to all believers, and in the author’s words “God has entrusted the Gospel of the Kingdom to men. What an awesome responsibility and honor.

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

Lesson 4

Yes The “Mystery” as it is discussed in this chapter has taken on such a deeper meaning for me after reading this chapter. I love the simple acceptance of the parable found in the Gospel of Mark that tells of the man who scattered seed on the ground and then he sleeps and rises day and night, and the seed grows. He knows not how. First the blade, then the ear, and the full grain in the ear. I love the simplicity of this one. We simply do not question that things will grow when planted. But there is a mystery behind these things that we just really don’t think about. It is a miracle that happens constantly that we have just came to expect.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Chapter 5
    I loved this chapter and the implications of the life to come. The older we get the more we long for our eternal bodies without the aches and pain that come with age. As we live each day in fellowship with other believers we can experience the Kingdom of
    God and humbly come before our Lord and say “Come Lord Jesus Come” and thank you for the opportunities to serve in Your Church.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

Barry, you wrote such a beautiful post. Yes, I too look forward to the Age to Come, without all the aches and pains. But those pains will be a long lost memory when we come to see Him face to face…Rudy

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

I too long for the days as it states in the song “They’ll be no more sorrow, they’ll be no more pain” but in the mean time I am so happy to just be pressing in closer and getting a much better understanding of The Bible.

patriciakuhn
        Participant

I agree Sheila about getting a better understanding of the Bible. I really like that this book goes into such detail.

bchiagouris
    Participant

Chapter 6

I wrote a song years ago call You are the ‘Righteousness in me. It is comforting to know that in our own goodness and works we will never attain the righteousness of God, however when we become believers God now sees the blood of Jesus cleansing us from our sins and now attaining His righteousness within us.

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

That is beautiful Barry! It really makes me realize just how magnificent the gift of The Cross is!

MeriLynn
      Participant

That we can “never attain it in our own strength” removes the burden of “trying”!!! I LOVE the Grace of God! And Barry, your sweet song has always spoken to my heart!

bchiagouris
    Participant

Chapter 7
    I’m not so sure I cared for the title of this chapter: “The Demand of the Kingdom.” I think Responsibility would have been a more acceptable title to me concerning the sanctification process. We are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ-Ephesians 2:8& 9, not by our works or demands placed upon us. It is indeed our responsibility to share God’s Kingdom with a dying world, but only through the power and leading of the Holy Spirit-(called sanctification).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  bchiagouris.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  bchiagouris.

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

I feel you on this Barry. Although I understand about making a decision and sticking to it, no matter what. I have certainly fallen short too many times to count. I am glad that we are saved by grace! Not by my works but by the blood of Jesus. I am a work in progress for sure.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 2

“God is a Creator and the evil one is a creation”… That put his power in perspective for me!
    I am painfully aware of the darkness of this evil age… It makes me sad to know that people I truly care about (especially in my work place) are living in that dark world. So many think that they are “good people and that’s good enough …and yet, I see them struggle trying to do Life in their own strength! The understanding that they are in the kingdom of darkness by default, if not by choice, Spurs me to reach out to them all the more. And yes, there is hostility to the Gospel. This chapter again assures me that I can be at peace by submitting to God, by living in the Light and walking boldly in it whereever I am and that I can not become discouraged. I have learned here that because I believe, I do have abundant blessings in this evil age and that the Kingdom of God is with me and in me, that and I will continue “shining the Light of Jesus” until He returns or takes me HOME!

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

I love the way you put it about God being the Creator and the evil one His creation! That put a joyously new perspective on it for me too Merilynn! And it does make me sad to see people struggling so, and being so miserable. It is truly heart breaking! I truly pray that God will fill the gap between the love that they need and the love that I am capable of showing them.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

MeriLynn, that was a beautiful post. I too am encouraged that by submitting to God and living in His Light that I can not be discouraged. Knowing that the Kingdom of God is both here now and in the age to come gives me such hope and confidence.

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 3

I am getting more excited with every chapter! I am also starting to get a little more comfortable with the forum. When I was reading in chapter 3 and it was talking about Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is good and acceptable and the perfect will of God. I was thinking how this scripture has taken on a much deeper meaning after beginning this study. Also that is exactly what we are all doing right now! We are experiencing an inner transformation which is in itself a result of the power of the age to come.

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 4

I am really getting excited learning that “The Kingdom of God” is here now, but only in a very small way. Not with its irresistible power! That just gets me so excited to think of “the irresistible power” and what we have to look forward to. The magnificence of The Age to Come is really drawing me in. And knowing that we have access to this power in small amounts even now is a beautiful feeling. I just can’t wait to read on so… this is me signing off!

bendoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 8

I got really excited and encouraged when he started talking about how The kingdom of God is here through us since we are in Christ! Awesome to think about the life we have been given through Him.

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

Me too! When it talks about the kingdom of God has invaded the realm of Satan to deliver man from his rule. And that the mission of Jesus was to bring the kingdom of God to man! What an awesome feeling.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 3

This chapter brings me such JOY and hope! “The blessings of the Messianic Age are now available to those who embrace The Kingdom of God.” As we must live in this evil age, how wonderful it is to know that if we embrace what Christ has done for us at the cross, and keep our eyes focused on Jesus, that we can experience a taste of all that God has for us when the Kingdom is fully consummated! I have also found great peace in praying for others that they may receive His healing now as it is promised to us eventually anyway… And then asking and accepting His Will… His perfect reign, rule, and authority… Be done. That the end times have begun with the “first fruits of Christ’s resurrection and that the Age to Come is breaking through into this evil age is very exciting!!!

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Lesson Four:
    I can visualize concepts better when a diagram is used, and that’s what I appreciate about chapter four. The diagram #7 lays out a picture of the Kingdom timeline which depicts the two ages existing together: “The Now and the Not Yet.” That makes such sense to me. And it adds excitement knowing that Christ will come again and open up the Age to Come. Praise God… Rudy

MeriLynn
      Participant

I liked when Pastor Steve added the Millinium square as well… It does help to see it all in diagram form. And the thought that the Prophets saw straight through to the end without those “breaks” … And that the Jewish people were hanging on to their prophesies and didn’t like the “form” that the Messiah was presented to them, makes total sense.

rudyrudolph
    Participant

Lesson Five:
    The discussions about the seven feasts is quite enlightening and fascinating. I know I’ve read about them in Leviticus 23 a few times but those readings never made any impact. Now that I see Christ coming through the feasts, they are all of a sudden quite important. Christ being in the first three (Passover, Unleavened Bread, First Fruits) and the timing of each, shows that He surely is in total control of events. The fourth was fulfilled at Pentecost by the Holy Spirit, and we await for Christ’s return (His Parousia) for the Feast of Trumpets, and then the Atonement (won’t miss this feast!) and finally Tabernacles. Praise God, there are some exciting times ahead in the Age to Come… Rudy

sheilawiedenheft
      Participant

Yes Rudy exciting times indeed! I really loved how it explained all these feasts also. I never really understood “first fruits” in the way the illustration describes it with the taste of the 1st peach in your mouth, not the first harvest, the actual first bite of the first peach! Wow we have so much to look forward too!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I also enjoyed learning about the feasts and the parallel between them and Jesus.

MeriLynn
      Participant

Beautifully written, Rudy!

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 4

I found the parables interesting, how they relate to the mystery of the Kingdom. The parables were drawn from daily experiences and you shouldn’t look for spiritual truth in every detail.

Also, good and evil living side by side, that until harvest time, weeds and wheat must grow together.

The Kingdom 1st came in quietly, secretly, but will later come in power and glory, ridding evil from the earth.

rudyrudolph
      Participant

Cheryl, very nicely stated. I agree that we shouldn’t look for spiritual truths in every detail of a parable, especially since we do not come close to understanding everyday life in ancient times… Rudy

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I found the parables interesting too, in how they relate to the Mystery of the Kingdom, especially how the Kingdom can come in like a tiny mustard seed, but later like a great shrub.

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 5

I can not help but get all worked up about “The Kingdom of God” being in the Age to come but “The Powers of The Age to Come” being in The Present Age! Just a taste of the power and the peace to come is available to us when we enter into worship, or prayer, or any of the other ways we experience the overwhelming love of the Holy Spirit! I crave more of this and am really enjoying pressing forward into this Bible Study! Thank You Pastor Steve!

MeriLynn
      Participant

Very well put, Sheila!! The powers of the Age to Come are present in this Age!!!

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 6

In this chapter I like the way it explains that in our understanding we are not to take some things so literal as the Pharisees did. That we are to be open to the guiding of The Holy Spirit that dwells within us. That if out eyes leads us to sinful thoughts that the root of the problem lies within our hearts. That is what we need to work on is our hearts, and not to actually poke out our eyes or cut off our hand. To press in closer to God so that His rein in our hearts is constantly being increased, and our thoughts become more Christ centered. By continuing to press into Gods Word we want to be more and more pleasing to God. So God can and will change the way we see things and the way we think, so the things that in the past may have seemed like a good idea will slowly drift from our thoughts and minds.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

It’s interesting how the scribes and Pharisees were so concerned about righteousness but totally missed the mark. It looks like a bunch of fighting and arguing over words. They cared more about the rules than the people.

MeriLynn
      Participant

Yes, Sheila… Pretty amazing how we change from the inside out as we work on “renewing our minds”!

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 7

I find joy in reading about Paul living for the Kingdom of God, which was not food or drink but for the righteousness and peace and joy of the Holy Spirit. Because Paul had experienced the life of The Kingdom of God, he acquired a new conception of the importance of things. Paul states that he has learned that whatever circumstance he finds himself in that he can be content. He has learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:11-13). If he was in want he didn’t feel like God had forsaken him. If he was experiencing abundance he didn’t get so attached to it that his happiness depended on it. His security was in The Lord. And isn’t that what we all long for? Peace and Joy? Contentment? And the peace and Joy that the Holy Spirit brings is like the first fruits of the previous chapter, once you get that first sweet taste of it nothing else will do.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

Yes, I think we all definitely long for peace, joy and contentment and I am so grateful that we can achieve it through the Holy Spirit.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 4

The Kingdom of God is here… I smile as I read that! There is such hope in that phrase!!

I, like many I’m sure, thought a mystery remained a mystery… But I am happy to know that it is a revelation about the Kingdom and instead of destroying “human sovereignty”, it’s directly attacking the sovereignty of Satan. Humans must be allowed to choose… To make a clear choice to follow God. What a gift to us. “The Kingdom is now here with persuasion rather than power”.” It is up to us, as His disciples, to make it “attractive”… No one likes to be told what to do! If it is to be successful, as the seeds in the deep soul, then it must be from a willing heart and a submissive will.

I am finally understanding that we are to live among the evil in this Age for His purpose. For the longest time, I thought that we were on a mission to “stamp out evil” and it was a revelation to me that we are to live with it to the end of the Age. We are to live, submissive to God and letting His Light shine through us, to give those who are caught up by the evil one an opportunity to see how God does bless us even in these evil times… We are to make our walk look attractive and “show” them the way to a better life in Him.

I did enjoy reading those parables again and seeing a different way to discern what they were really telling us… Especially the mustard seed… That the Kingdom was among us in “tiny” form… Never before expected! Thank you, Jesus, for coming as a Lamb this time to give God’s people a chance to turn to Him!!

PBob
      Participant

Yes, they walk among us and we among them. God will lead us to let our light shine through to his children that are ready to see it.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I think we must walk among them to be able to try to be a good example and maybe lead them to God. If we only go around people who have already accepted God, how can we lead others to him?

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Kingdom of God chapter 5:
    -challenged my perspective in what terms of thinking I choose to go about my day. Accepting biblical knowledge and digging deeper into that realm is great, particularly as my old way of thinking gets new light shed on the many different ways the gospel has transformed our lives. However, living daily with the concept of “heaven”…the age to come…in the here and now has not only broadened my understanding but changes the way I approach whatever encounters with people come my way…particularly the closer friends and family that openly criticize biblical truth but have an unusual closeness to us.

PBob
      Participant

Well said Tom

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Kingdom of God chapter 5 comments:
    -Barry and Sheila’s comments express what truly drives my spiritual growth while others lack of that zeal leaves a lump of misunderstanding in my gut that is fueled by the gift of compassion He gave me after giving my life over to His will.

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 8

What a new outlook I have as I read on in The Gospel of The Kingdom! The depth of what Jesus done, and is still doing is really taking on a whole new life for me. As I read that it is the mission of the Messiah to bring The Kingdom of God to man. Although the old age goes on The Kingdom of God has invaded the realm of Satan to deliver man from his rule. And that is the purpose and mission of Our Lord. The fulfillment of His promise began at Pentecost when the Holy Spirit poured out to all those who are followers of Jesus Christ! This was historically the birth of the church. That all who believe and receive the message of Our Lord Jesus Christ will be delivered out of the power of darkness and transferred into the kingdom of the Son of God’s love (Col. 1:13)! They enter into the kingdom of God because the receive it’s blessings, furthermore they are assured entrance into the future kingdom of God through Christ! Now that is what I call good news! I can’t wait to start the next chapter.

patriciakuhn
      Participant

This gave me a new and totally different outlook than what I had before too. So glad this book was part of the class.

PBob
    Participant

Kingdom of God 4
    Long chapter full of insight. I like the definition of mystery as a divine purpose that has been hidden and finally revealed.
    The kingdom of God is a gift to be accepted or rejected with persuasion not power. The Kingdom has come but the evil age goes on. God’s Rule, Gods Reign!!
    Thank You Steve for making it easier to grasp.

PBob
    Participant

Kingdom of God 5
    God has something Better for Us. We shall perfectly belong to Him. Jesus says “I came that they may have life and may have it abundantly.” We must be born again. God has given us his spirit as a down-payment and so we have the firstfruits and a taste of the Kingdom of God that is to come. Yum Yum give me some!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Very well put, Bob. You’re doing great. Hang in there. :0)

PBob
        Participant

Thanks Cheryl, I think it will get easier being here.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 5

A couple things stood out to me.

We must exercise the gift of love. Love, a gift of the Spirit, will show our perfected fellowship in the Age to Come. That our act of love is evidence of fellowship. This keeps us humble before God, searching and studying God’s Word and waiting on God. This also keeps us charitable towards the brethren.

The life of the Age to Come is the work of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God.

Earnest, the downpayment, helped to explain partial but actual possession.

The Holy Spirit is the first fruits of the Life to Come in the resurrection.

The very Life of Heaven dwelling in me- what a thought.

And finally, fellowship. The fellowship we will know when we see him face to face- exciting!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Chapter 5 Kingdom of God

I loved this chapter! I have read these Scriptures many times and yet, somehow, I never understood that our “very bodies are to be redeemed. Some day the whole physical creation is to be transformed. Someday the life which flows from Christ’s resurrection will renovate the whole structure of human existence”. That God has given us the Holy Spirit as a down-payment.. Better than a promise or a guarantee… And that we can live “the life of Heaven” here…right now… Available to us in fellowship with God, is an amazing gift. God has something better for us indeed!!!

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I agree. My favorite chapter so far and us being given the Holy Spirit as a down-payment. What a great way to explain it.

coopertlc123
      Participant

This is so true. When our most passionate desire is to worship and obey God, and we place Him clearly in the center of Our lives and souls so that there is nothing we desire more or place higher, then, God promises to give us the desires of our hearts, which then would be a relationship with Him.

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

Lesson 9

I have to say that after reading this book my thoughts have changed about the end of time. I used to really have mixed emotions when people would talk about the end of time. I didn’t understand it the way I do now, and I felt afraid. I must say that not only am I looking forward to living under Gods rein, but I feel empowered with more knowledge of what the Word of God is actually saying. Knowing that we have a message to get out to the world, and that we all play a part in spreading that message. No matter how large or small that part is. This chapter really makes me want to just be a better example of the peace and the love and the grace that God has so generously shown me. Thank you George Eldon Ladd, and thank you Pastor Steve for helping me along my way.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Hmmm, trying to reply to Sheila…took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Gospel of the kingdom chapter 9

Undaunting mission? Yes, if we are trying to survive as an aging church congregation that doesn’t want to be “polluted” by heathen influences. After playing music in hundreds of churches across the US and Cananda, that is one of my observations of our Amercian/Canandien church-sad to say.

When Stephen was martyred, Paul’s writings, and Jesus last words all had a common thread. I want to be that confident in who I am in Christ in every detail and relationship that comes my way.

This final chapter made “real” history and our future purpose as individuals and the church very clear.

PBob
    Participant

Kingdom of God 6
    ‘Oh Man, righteous dude!! We cannot be righteous enough without Jesus/God. God must give what He demands. We have 3 laws to follow. Purity, Honesty, and Love. I don’t think any of us can live up to the laws on our own. We must seek first the Kingdom. We need God’s perfect forgiveness; and it is not human nature to forgive like that. To forgive 490 times is beyond my human ability. If the righteousness of the Kingdom is a standard which I must attain in my own ability, I stand forever condemned and shut out of the Kingdom of God. Righteousness of the Kingdom belongs to The Age to Come, but has been imparted to the sons of the Kingdom through Christ and the Holy Spirit. We must seek an experience which is completely under divine direction. RIGHTEOUS DUDE!! JESUS!!

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I don’t think I could live up to the laws on my own, either.

PBob
    Participant

Kingdom of God 7
    One demand, decision. The essence of repentance is a decision which determines the quality of present life and future destiny. Repent, turn, and decide. Receive the Kingdom; for as you receive it, you receive its life, you receive its blessing, you receive the destiny reserved for those who embrace it. Jesus’ disciples must be radicals in their unqualified enthusiasm for the life of God’s Kingdom. The Kingdom demands decision as it confronts men—eternal decision. Tomorrow has met today. The Age to Come has entered This Age. Say YES!!!

MeriLynn
      Participant

Well said, Bob!!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

“You receive the destiny reserved for those who embrace it.” I missed that. Thanks Bob! I like that thought.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Yea Bob, very righteous indeed

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Sounds like PBob is changing from painter Bob to preacher Bob! Yes, very well said. 🙂

PBob
        Participant

Jesus Help Me!

PBob
    Participant

Kingdom of God 8
    When Israel rejected the Kingdom, the blessings which should have been theirs were given to those who would accept them. Israel rejected both the Kingdom and the Bearer of the Kingdom. The Church is the fellowship of disciples of Jesus who have received the life of the Kingdom and are dedicated to the task of preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom in the world. The Church is a Kingdom because it shares Christ’s rule. It is God’s reign itself, a reign which is shared with those who surrender themselves to it. Israel is yet to be saved. The Kingdom of God has invaded the realm of Satan and the conflict between the Kingdom of God and the powers of darkness continues as the Church bears to good new of God’s Kingdom to the nations of the earth. We are the focus of a conflict between the Kingdom of God and satanic evil. I think that brings chapter 8 into a nutshell to keep it simple.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Pretty good summary Bob

PBob
        Participant

Thanks Tom!

PBob
    Participant

Kingdom of God 9
    O my God, it is just too much, it’s too hard. I feel like re-joining Satan because it looks like “they” are having all the fun. Let’s go out and party and have gratuitous sex, lie, steal cheat and be like the majority of people we live in this world with. NOT…..Just kidding, got your attention, eh? When will the Kingdom come? THEN!
    I think Ch. 9 went into the eggheadish stage again but came out clear. God has entrusted us with a mission and unless we do it, it will not get done. In the ultimate meaning of modern civilization and the destiny of human history, you and I are more important than the United Nations. Wow!! When? THEN!

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Maybe you were in a bad mood while reading this chapter as my thoughts are more in line with Sheila’s! 🙂

PBob
        Participant

Maybe, but I don’t think so

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 6

The Sermon on the Mount describes righteousness. Jesus says our righteousness must exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees. Righteousness in us only comes from God’s reign in our lives. Following rules doesn’t make you righteous. The scribes and Pharisees put the emphasis on the outward act, but Jesus puts the emphasis on the attitude of the heart. God demands this righteousness so He must give it to us.

The Law of Purity: God’s Kingdom is in our thoughts and emotions. It is a matter of the heart. Sin lodges itself in the heart and we must do anything to find a solution to the problem, or it will destroy you.

The Law of Honesty: Let your yes mean yes and your no mean no. Swearing an oath on an object makes it seem like your word without the oath can’t be trusted. Also, sneakiness of cleverness keeping the letter of the law to slip something over on someone is wrong. Let people be able to trust your word.

The Law of Love: Turn the other cheek. Be generous. Give. It’s about the heart and attitude of the mind. It is not motivated by selfishness. Love your enemies. It is the complete freedom from the spirit of revenge. Return love for hatred. Repay kindness for evil. Love looks out for the welfare of others. Forgive. God’s forgiveness must come to us before we can forgive others. Only a heart filled with God’s grace can forgive like that.

MeriLynn
      Participant

Well said, Cheryl… And oh how we see things differently when we have experienced His forgiveness at the foot of a The Cross!!

MeriLynn
    Participant

Chapter 6

“Kingdom righteousness says, “What you are is more important than what you do”. “It goes behind the act, behind the deed, to the heart, and deals with what a man is in himself before God”.

I love those two lines and I know that I can only live as a “righteous” person with the help of the Holy Spirit and with God’s mercy and grace! Who has not had that fleeting thought that we are instantly ashamed of? Even with a heart that has been changed over time, none of us can say we are “righteous”! The closest we can get is to live in the light, submitting ourselves to God’s Authority, Reign and Rule in our lives and know that through Jesus, we can turn, ask for forgiveness and run back to Papa’s open arms… And Believe! This “heart righteousness” is truly a gift from God, lived out one day at a time!

The true and most important description of the Righteousness of the Kingdom of God is Love. “Love is not primarily a feeling or emotion; it is concern in action”. We are not only to be love… We are to “do” love. And how much more can we show love but in forgiveness… And knowing what we have been forgiven certainly breaks a repentant heart for those who need His forgiveness. What a beautiful way to live!

patriciakuhn
      Participant

The statement about “love is not primarily a feeling or emotion; it is concern in action” really made it more clear to me on how to love too.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Chapter 6. cont…

I Also have to say that I thouroughly enjoy the teaching on Sunday nights and I am especially enjoying the teachings on The Feasts. How like God to set up these Feasts for Israel to celebrate for all those many generations leading them directly to Jesus… And how sad that they never could see it.

The Feast of Pentecost with the Summer Harvest of the 3,000 Souls… And the Feast Of Trumpets at the Fall Harvest when many Souks will be harvested…. And the idea that “we the Church” have already been Atoned for by Christ and will be a part of this harvest… Fascinating stuff! I have always loved 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18. It is highlighted in my Bible and brings me such hope!!

tomdoerfel
      Participant

It’s great to have Cheryl and MeriLyn on board as their summaries and note taking are spot on

MeriLynn
    Participant

Lesson 7

The Kingdom of God demands a decision. There are no “Luke-warm” commitments when it comes to following Christ. We either surrender to His Rule, Reign and Authority and enter The Kingdom or we remain in this Evil Age without the blessings that are offered if only we make that decision.
    “The basic demand of The Kingdom is a response of man’s will. Men must receive it. They must yield to it.”
    I loved how it was explained as an “urgent decision”… Once offered, for then you know and are denying it if you don’t take it. It’s a “radical decision” … One that you will proclaim from the rooftops and offer to family and friends when you are able. It is a “costly decision”… Because you will be rejected; you will lose friends and family when you truly believe. And best of all, it is an “eternal decision”… One that is life-changing and fills you with hope… One that allows you freedom from Sin, Satan, and Death!
    “Every other interest must become secondary and subservient to the rule of God”
    The demand of the Kingdom is You… All of you. Heart, Soul and Body… But in the surrendering is great freedom and blessings in this Age of Evil … In this time of tension of the now and not yet … That come to their beautiful fruition in The Age to Come in The Kingdom of God.

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

I like how you put it, “in the surrendering is great freedom and blessings.” :0)

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 7

The demand of the Kingdom is a decision for Christ. This decision requires repentance. We can’t attain righteousness on our own, and after making the decision, God gives us the righteousness of the Kingdom. The decision is urgent. It requires no reluctance and no looking back. It is a radical decision and most people are casual about religion. Lastly, the decision is costly. It requires submission.

Burdens are confused with crosses. A cross is not a burden. A cross is a place of death. When you take up a cross, you are ready to die. Denial of self doesn’t mean denying yourself of things. It means to deny MYSELF. Self-denial is self centered. Denial of self is Christ centered. Denial of self means death in a situation where a choice has to be made between death and loyalty to Christ.

There can only be one ruler in my life, self or Christ. When I take up my cross and die, Christ can rule.

This decision is an eternal decision.

Matthew 6:33 has much more meaning to me since reading this book. “Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Cheryldoerfel.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Wow! So glad I have Cheryl’s notes to study from!

MeriLynn
      Participant

Beautifully written, Cheryl. It really brought to light the “dying for Christ” point in a way that made it easier to understand! Thank you for your insight and for this post when I really needed to hear it again!!

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I like your summary concerning burdens and crosses to bare. It really explains it.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 7:
    Kingdom righteousness is a hard concept. Sermon on the mount love painted good illustrations, yet it is up to the knowledge God allows us to have of His love for us that brings that point home…thank you Lord for forgiving me much. I went to the school of hard knox and I pray others can learn from our mistakes.

tomdoerfel
      Participant

Correction…chapter 6

PBob
      Participant

That’s not Fair…….

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 7 was a reminder of places I’ve spiritually been and had a couple points where my first thought was “oh yea, that was a turning point in my life”. Giving up the right to myself has been life changing and relearning these principles through scripture/theology/doctrine sharpens our faith.

coopertlc123
      Participant

If you have reached that state, I say congratulations. I struggle daily to even comprehend the depth of that. I can only pray for revelation and God’s grace to help me one internal battle at a time, day by day.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Chapter 8

Having been to Israel and having seen so many of God’s “chosen people” still trying to follow the Law and not believing in the Messiah that God sent to redeem them, I can tell you that it brought me pain and literally to tears. I had heard of the “remnant” but had never understood how this was to be a completed until reading Peter’s description of the One Olive Tree. I found it interesting that the he says “until the full number of Gentiles come in”. God is waiting for us… That is an incredible outpouring of love for the people that were NOT God’s “chosen people”! And then the veil will be removed from their eyes… After the Gentiles have brought them back their Jerusalem! Overwhelmingly beautiful, I think. I also now see the work of The Church as being the Key to The Kingdom of God… And that work is ours to do and continue to do until Jesus comes back and his enemies are put beneath his feet and the Kingdom, as it was meant to be, and is handed back to The Father. What a “visual”!!
    I also love the last paragraph. It is a Spiritual Battle and we are called to pray! This spiriual battle manifests itself in the areas of of human conduct and relationships… All of which we see eroding around us now in this culture. Therefore WE must press in against the power of darkness until the “dawns and the light of knowledge of God shall fill the earth”. Therefore , we must speak the Truth whenever and wherever we can in a way that will draw man to us and to the freeing light of The Kingdom of God. I loved this chapter!!

tomdoerfel
      Participant

You wowed me again MeriLynn as your thoughts and written response rings clear as a bell!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

Wow MariLynn, I missed this “This spiriual battle manifests itself in the areas of of human conduct and relationships,” when I read this chapter. That really simplifies it as far as my understanding goes. We have a lot of work to do, but it is not a burden. :0)

patriciakuhn
      Participant

I especially liked the analogy about the one olive tree too and how Israel can be “grafted” back onto the tree to make one people and one kingdom.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 8

The main theme of tying together today’s church and the future of Israel made perfect sense and was well validated scripturally. Thinking in terms of the present and future ages should inspire us as the church to let His light that blesses us to shine wherever and whatever we do on a daily basis. One bunny trail thought…shining light in dark places may be necessary but not always pleasant as we are faced with having to perform during the last day of Fantasyfest at zero Duval 🙁

coopertlc123
      Participant

I think the real focus is the Jewish people right now. It is my understanding that those in the future, those alive after Jesus returns will be saved.

MeriLynn
    Participant

Chapter 9

“this gives to my life an eternal significance, for I am sharing in God’s plan for the ages. The meaning and destiny of history rests in my hands”.

Wow. This line, above all, really stood out to me. I know that I am blessed to be a part of a wonderful, evangelizing Church… And I am blessed to be “part of His Story”… What an awesome task to know that God’s plans for taking the Kingdom to the nations depends on me. When will he come? When ALL are made aware of the goodness and Grace of our Heavenly Father through Jesus Christ. I loved that this chapter really encourages us to be the one to reach out. As it said, the doors are open and the concern is that we do not enter them! It also explains that it is not our responsibility to save the world… But it is our responsibility to share our testimonies and our path to Salvation and then walk it out before those who do not yet know Jesus.
    The Gospel will be preached to all the nations … And technology has made that easier and faster… And Bibles are now written in many, Many languages… so we are reaching the nations. When will the end (The Kingdom) come? THEN!!
    He is waiting for us to finish our task!

Cheryldoerfel
      Participant

MeriLynn, I love how you put things in your own words. I feel like I reiterate information and that makes it kind of impersonal. Thank you. :0)

bendoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 8

Israel was the sons of the Kingdom because God chose them and promised to bless them. When Israel rejected Him, He gave their blessing to someone else. This was the old covenant with the nation of Israel.

Jesus addressed himself to the individual. His terms were a relationship based on a decision of faith. The family unit was no longer the basis of the relationship between God and man. Personal faith was now the relationship. Jesus’ mission was to bring the powers of the future age to men in the present age. His purpose was not to restore the nation of Israel, but to create a new people, to take the place of the old Israel who rejected Him.

God doesn’t work through Israel anymore, but through the church, and the new people is the church.

The mission of the church is to use the keys of the Kingdom to open the door to eternal life to the Jews and the Gentiles, and to oppose evil and the powers of Satan in the world.

We are the focus of conflict between the Kingdom of God and Satanic evil.

bendoerfel
      Participant

This is Cheryl. I thought I was entering it on my account but Ben must have been signed in on my computer. Grrrr.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 8

Israel was the sons of the Kingdom because God chose them and promised to bless them. When Israel rejected Him, He gave their blessing to someone else. This was the old covenant with the nation of Israel.

Jesus addressed himself to the individual. His terms were a relationship based on a decision of faith. The family unit was no longer the basis of the relationship between God and man. Personal faith was now the relationship. Jesus’ mission was to bring the powers of the future age to men in the present age. His purpose was not to restore the nation of Israel, but to create a new people, to take the place of the old Israel who rejected Him.

God doesn’t work through Israel anymore, but through the church, and the new people is the church.

The mission of the church is to use the keys of the Kingdom to open the door to eternal life to the Jews and the Gentiles, and to oppose evil and the powers of Satan in the world.

We are the focus of conflict between the Kingdom of God and Satanic evil.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 1. Now every time I read and study I will be trying to keep in mind that The Kingdom of God is underneath or the foundation of all that I am learning. Also, when reading about Jesus and his teachings, The Kingdom of God is his theme always. I think this will help make it more clear when I start getting confused on some of the information. Very interesting about the many different interpretations of The Kingdom of God and the distinction between the primary and secondary meanings.

Kurt-I agree that the key is to seek his righteousness first and to do the next right thing. My world would be much easier if I did that everyday/all day!

Cheryl-I am like you concerning the Lord’s Prayer-should be said slow and thoughtfully, especially the part about “thy kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven”.

coopertlc123
      Participant

I see it as it all hinges upon the kingdom of God being alive and well within each and every Christian.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 2. I liked the clarification that during This Present Evil Age we will never fully experience God’s blessings, that there will not be a world-wide conversion, and that when we no longer “belong” to This Age, because we believe in The Kingdom of God, we will be the object of it’s hostility (this explains why our life is not as good as we would like it to be).

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 3. I found most interesting in this lesson the detailed explanation of the 3 Stages of the Defeat of Satan; in particular that the first stage of defeat has already occurred at Christ’s resurrection. It is great that we can experience a taste of the “Age To Come” in the “Present Age” and that blessings are available to those who who embrace The Kingdom of God.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 4. I liked the explanation for the parable about the 4 kinds of soil that seeds can be sown in. That a Mystery of the Kingdom is that The Kingdom of God is here, but not with irresistible power because God does not force himself upon man-man can be like 3 of the types of soil and not conducive to seed growing in it and can reject the truth about God, but some people are like the 4th type of soil, the good soil, and they hear the truth and receive it.

Cheryldoerfel
    Participant

Chapter 9

The message is the Gospel of the Kingdom and must be preached to all nations. The mission is world-wide evangelism and it must be accomplished for Christ to return and abolish death, sin, and Satan. The motive is God’s redemptive work in history and it includes all mankind. Unless we, the Church, do it, it won’t get done. We need to recognize the power of evil and diligently work on the mission until Christ’s victorious return.

coopertlc123
      Participant

I think We can also look at it as every time someone gets saved, we are one step closer to the returning of our Lord

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 5. I was really impacted in this lesson concerning the statement that eternal life belongs to the future Kingdom of God and The Age to Come, yet is available to man in this Present Evil Age. I think it is summed up very well in the statement “eternal life is a future blessing and a present reality”.

coopertlc123
      Participant

Yes, it is a present reality of a future blessing

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 6. The hardest illustration of kingdom righteousness for me to achieve is the Law of Love, concerning repaying kindness for evil. Takes a lot of prayer for me to do that – I just want to run from people who do evil actions toward me.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 7. This impacted me in that it makes me want to be more like Paul because he was content with exactly what he had and he was content in whatever state or situation he was in.

coopertlc123
      Participant

Paul was content because HE HAD COMPLETELY SURRENDERED TO God. God was at the center of his life, thoughts, desires and wishes. With all that in place he had nothing to shake his contentment.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

Lesson 8. This lesson really emphasized to me how important the Kingdom of God is because through it a new community-a new people-the church as been formed in human society and through it we have received salvation. We must keep using the keys of the kingdom to bring both Gentiles and Jews out of Satan’s bondage and into eternal life.

coopertlc123
      Participant

All people alive today, that will be dead on The Day of the Lord, need salvation. You are right. We can’t exclude anyone from our attempt to spread the good news.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 1 This was an interesting lesson because I kind of thought the Kingdom of God was more like a Spiritual state of relationship between my spirit and the Holy Spirit. Kind of like a kingdom within me.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 2: The power of God is without question. I can’t even imagine how evil Satan must be to want to see so many people perish without God. He didn’t start that way so I assume evil grew within him. Then there were the angels that went with him. If we believe evil grew in Satan then we must believe that evil is still growing and Satan surely must be exponentially more evil than he was. I am very glad that he has no power or authority over me. God is my King and jesus is the Lord who died and set me free from Satan’s power. he has no power over me at all. praise God.

coopertlc123
    Participant

lesson 2: I keep trying to respond to other posts but I keep getting an error message. I am moving on

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 3: I love the idea since God is going to heal someone anyway, ask Him to go ahead and do it now. The age to come that we can, sometimes tap into, has the power we can tap into to perform miracles and get prayers answered. WOW

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson 4 This is really starting to get interesting. The explanation of why Satan will be released after the millennium is the best one I have heard so far. The free choice, I think, was also demonstrated by God when he allowed Satan’s followers to choose to follow him instead of God. Right before he kicked them out of heaven.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson:5 Mathew 27:51-53 And behold the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake and the rocks rent. (52) And the graves were opened many bodies of the saints of the saints which slept arose, (53) and came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city and appeared unto many.

I have never seen this as Jesus offering first fruits. It is something to ponder.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 6 So we live now in the age of the Holy Spirit which was poured out to us at Pentecost and will end upon the return Of Jesus. I believe the followers, not the believers, will be called up to miss the tribulation. If you believe in God but do not walk with God, I don’t think you will be spared the tribulation. As a matter of fact, if you believe and do not walk with God, I would be more worried about your salvation than missing the tribulation.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 7 This is probably the best chapter of any book I have read. He really nails it. We, as the church, are responsible for those that Jesus will say, “Depart from me, I knew you not”, because we are not teaching what is really involved in salvation. It goes way beyond,….”now repeat after me”….”and if you prayed that prayer and meant it, welcome to the Kingdom of God”.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 8 The wheat and the weeds parable is probably my favorite. I have seen many meanings in that parable. The fact that evil and good have to exist together until harvest, the return of Jesus is obviously exactly what is happening. sometimes it looks like the weeds are overgrowing the wheat. A lot of the weeds look like wheat and are deceiving others into thinking they are wheat. They will not fool God.

coopertlc123
    Participant

Lesson: 9 It is great to know that the Kingdom of God is now, in part, and will come into its fullness upon the arrival of Jesus. The Kingdom of God, being his reign and rule puts things into perspective. The ages instead of world also puts things into perspective. This was a very worthwhile course. I am glad I had the opportunity to take it.

tomdoerfel
    Participant

Lesson 2 struck me in a candid way about heaven being more in terms of an age to come and less of a place…although it is a place. Getting caught up in my mind what heaven will be like as a place seems less significant when thinking in the perspective of an age to come. With the intrigue of all the prophetic statements throughout the bible, it gave me more of a sense of urgency about how I spend my time as a representative of Christ, attracting as many people as possible into the kingdom…particularly those we get to know and care for.

sheilawiedenheft
    Participant

I also really came to a more clear understanding of heaven while reading this chapter as an age and not so much of a place.

bchiagouris
    Participant

As I read through the introduction and the first chapter, I enjoyed the author’s comment that the Kingdom is conceived as
    the rule, reign and government of God in this age and in the hearts and lives of those who yield themselves to Him. That being said, the Kingdom of God dwells in all believers (Christ in you the hope of glory) and is manifested in our lives as we walk in obedience to the Holy Spirit living in each of us.

patriciakuhn
    Participant

I agree. Maybe that is why it has always been hard to “picture” what Heaven would look like-because it is not a place, but an age. This is a reply to Sheila’s comment about Heaven not being a place. ( Lesson 2)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  patriciakuhn.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.